Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmyboy40

in settings , I think its under back up , wipe phone , not sure it may be a Google maps curiosity, I would by more inclined to wait for a maps update, they tend to update weekly just had one 2 days ago. But the choice is yours the maps works well for me but it always says 24 and in fact I'm house 26, I can forgive them that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Jimmyboy40 wrote: »
    I Have a little tip for anyone who says the phone is stuttering and tap the Build number 3 times, to go into development options , within theres there are 3 options Window animation scale , transition animation scale and animation duration scale. all should be set to 1 be default, if you move them to .5x all 3 of them and reboot the phone.

After the initial stumble you get , while the ram gets up to speed, you should see faster transitions between apps and lollipop and a overall smoother feeling.

I not had an issues with X1 but X .5 certainly makes it faster.

Go the other way and say set it to 2 you see more animations in lollipop and the transitions are more exaggerated , showing off the lollipop animations off superbly, the phone can handle it, but it gets a bit warmer.

See how you go, but don't go lower than .5, on this setting its superb

You must be a MKBHD viewer too. He mentioned it in one of his videos.

youtube.com/MKBHD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭biebiebie

This a very common suggestion for many Android phones when lag/smoothness is mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bought 2 of them in my local store today
    waiting on unlock codes now.
    On another note.
    I compared my wifes and my own usage with Tesco and put it into the configurator on iD
    For 14 plan my wife would be well covered for usage and for 18.50 I would be so that is only 2.50 per month more than the current cost, Plus we would have 4G.

Need to order 2 nano sims.
    Should I stay or should I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Thanks for the help Jimmyboy40 but it bugs me too much to wait for the update so did a reset and now it's working again. There really is nothing better than the old switch on switch off solution to fix things so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭biebiebie

vectra wrote: »
    Bought 2 of them in my local store today
    waiting on unlock codes now.
    On another note.
    I compared my wifes and my own usage with Tesco and put it into the configurator on iD
    For 14 plan my wife would be well covered for usage and for 18.50 I would be so that is only 2.50 per month more than the current cost, Plus we would have 4G.

If you're happy with Tesco then personally I'd wait a few months. After all the savings aren't huge.

The other MVNO operators using the 3 network will also be upgrading to 4g soon.
    I'd imagine that they might rejig their offerings, and potentially become even more attractive than ID.

Then you have UPC coming in around Oct also.

So a wait and see approach might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmyboy40

Block (8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help Jimmyboy40 but it bugs me too much to wait for the update so did a reset and now it's working again. There really is nothing better than the old switch on switch off solution to fix things so to speak.

Good stuff , yeah when something bugs you , you cant rest until its fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

vectra wrote: »

Are you using Tesco Boost to purchase the top-up? It saves us tons of money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

grogi wrote: »
    Off-topic, but the Boost thing really seems too good to be true. We turn a €15 shopping voucher into a family meal out in Milanos or TGI's (€60). How do they make this work for them?
    biebiebie wrote: »
    The other MVNO operators using the 3 network will also be upgrading to 4g soon.
    Speculation or information? Would love to see 48 moving to 4G soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

RainyDay wrote: »

Speculation or information? Would love to see 48 moving to 4G soon.

Bit pointless no? You'll just use the crappy cap quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

grogi wrote: »

No,
    Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Having skimmed through all the posts on this thread I'm really considering buying this.. I'm not expecting it to be updated to Marshmallow (Android 6.0) but would like it to be bumped up to at least 5.1.1, does anyone know if that's on the cards?

Also, I've used a demo model in store and seen that the stock (although it actually seems custom) launcher on this has Flipboard triggered when scrolling to the far left screen, can this be undone by uninstalling Flipboard? Or is Flipboard uninstallable by default? I will most likely put the Google now launcher on there but I'm just curious if it can be gotten rid of or at least configurable to set a different app to launch in its place.

One last thing, what is the call reception like on it? And how loud is the earpiece speaker? I currently have the OG Moto G and lately the reception is gone crap on it 😟 where I live hasn't got the best reception anyways but it was never as bad as it is now, the other half has the 2nd gen Moto G and she hasn't half as much trouble as I do with reception so I really want to make sure I get a phone that hasn't the same issue as my current one 😛

Sorry about the length of this post 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

DanC90 wrote: »
    Having skimmed through all the posts on this thread I'm really considering buying this.. I'm not expecting it to be updated to Marshmallow (Android 6.0) but would like it to be bumped up to at least 5.1.1, does anyone know if that's on the cards?

Also, I've used a demo model in store and seen that the stock (although it actually seems custom) launcher on this has Flipboard triggered when scrolling to the far left screen, can this be undone by uninstalling Flipboard? Or is Flipboard uninstallable by default? I will most likely put the Google now launcher on there but I'm just curious if it can be gotten rid of or at least configurable to set a different app to launch in its place.

One last thing, what is the call reception like on it? And how loud is the earpiece speaker? I currently have the OG Moto G and lately the reception is gone crap on it 😟 where I live hasn't got the best reception anyways but it was never as bad as it is now, the other half has the 2nd gen Moto G and she hasn't half as much trouble as I do with reception so I really want to make sure I get a phone that hasn't the same issue as my current one 😛

Sorry about the length of this post 😂

I upgraded from 1st gen moto g and the reception has improved considerably. With the moto g I had to go outside to make a call but with the su6 I can remain inside, close to a window but still warm and dry.
    Flipboard can be removed along with most Vodafone apps. I disabled the built in voda SMS app and downloaded a stock type messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for this phone. I cant connect it to my work computer and it keeps coming up that its looking for a driver.

thanks

Bit pointless no? You'll just use the crappy cap quicker.
    8 gb is more than enough for me thanks, so response time is more important than total capacity. So yes, 4g would be great thanks.
    I did see a setting to change this app, though I haven't got round to changing it myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I've had mine about two weeks now and the sound volume seems to be broke. I have everything turned up to the highest volume but it plays media incredibly low, I can barely hear it. Any idea what's wrong?

fast_eddie wrote: »
    Working fine for me, usually between H and H+. Have you set up an APN in Settings/Mobile Networks?

I combined the Tesco settings into one APN:

- Name TMI Internet APN
    - APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    - MCC: 272
    - MNC: 11
    - APN Type: default,supl,mms
    - MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    - MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    - MMS Port: 8080

Save, activate with the radio button and restart your phone...
    Can I ask how exactly I set up the APN for 48? When I go into 'Settings' 'Mobile Network', the only options I have are;
    1. Data roaming
    2. Preferred network type
    3. Access point names
    4. Network operators
    So how do I add the APN?

corsav6 wrote:
    I upgraded from 1st gen moto g and the reception has improved considerably. With the moto g I had to go outside to make a call but with the su6 I can remain inside, close to a window but still warm and dry. Flipboard can be removed along with most Vodafone apps. I disabled the built in voda SMS app and downloaded a stock type messenger.

Thanks for the reply, I thought my reception was bad, that sounds horrible having to go outside every time you get a call, I don't know why mine just suddenly went like that but ah well I need an upgrade anyways.

Good to know I can remove the VodaBloat and get it close to stock Android. I hate unnecessary apps taking up space on the phone :P

Does hangouts come pre-installed?

RainyDay wrote:
    I did see a setting to change this app, though I haven't got round to changing it myself yet.

That's pretty handy, again I would probably put Google search in its place to replicate the now launcher but nice to know it can be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That's pretty handy, again I would probably put Google search in its place to replicate the now launcher but nice to know it can be changed.

Just download google now launcher from the play store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

tippgod wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get drivers for this phone. I cant connect it to my work computer and it keeps coming up that its looking for a driver.

thanks

Settings>storage>3dots(options)>USB connection and make sure MTP is selected.

I am not sure if it keeps defaulting to no option selected when it reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

I have a stuck pixel in mine that i did not notice. Starting to bug me now.

There are a few apps i see that recombobulate the screen, i will try them before bringing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Just installed Android update - it updated over 150 apps...

Says Version: VDF-995NB01-IE_MR01b

No idea what that means :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ferball

RainyDay wrote: »
    Can I ask how exactly I set up the APN for 48? When I go into 'Settings' 'Mobile Network', the only options I have are;
    1. Data roaming
    2. Preferred network type
    3. Access point names
    4. Network operators
    So how do I add the APN?

Try 3. Access point names (apn?) There should be an option to create a new one by pressing a plus in the top right of the screen. And then delete or disable any old apn in there.

At least that's the way it was on my galaxy s3.

Ferball wrote: »
    Try 3. Access point names (apn?) There should be an option to create a new one by pressing a plus in the top right of the screen. And then delete or disable any old apn in there.

At least that's the way it was on my galaxy s3.

Beautiful, you da man!

I'm flying now....

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

Got unlock code, can you unlock the phone without putting a different sim card in and do other operators have nano style cards.

lukeeman wrote: »
    Got unlock code, can you unlock the phone without putting a different sim card in and do other operators have nano style cards.

For me, it was putting the 48 SIM that triggered the request for the unlock code. Yes, I think every operator will have nano SIMs available on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Can anyone suggest how to 'hide my number' in outgoing calls, the ' additional settings' option is absent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Just installed Android update - it updated over 150 apps...

Says Version: VDF-995NB01-IE_MR01b

No idea what that means :-)

It optimised the apps after the update, the update itself was bug fixes and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

damian139 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest how to 'hide my number' in outgoing calls, the ' additional settings' option is absent

That seems to have been removed in the ota because it was definitely there a few weeks back for me.

Advertisement