Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

pissed wrote: »
    Despite the cancellation notice the phone arrived this morning, still waiting on the unlock code which was ordered at noon :(

Nice. How do you find it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Deneva wrote: »
    Ultra 6 arrived from Amazon this morning, very good buy for £125, got unlock code from EBay,put wife's sim card and and its working fine,sh absolutely loves it. I think I may take the plunge and probably buy a Moto G though, while I think the Ultra 6 is ascgood and in some ways better,it's to big for me, not easy to carry in my pocket,which is a shame. OK in her handbag though, mind you anything would fit in that ☺

The wife loves the 5.5 inches, and you think 5.5 inches is too big? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

jgbyr wrote: »
    When you touch the volume buttons you should get this,then choose priority.
    No, no text at all under the slider bar for me - no 'priority' option at all. I've had a look through the Sound settings, and I can't see anything that would affect this. Any ideas?
    DanC90 wrote: »
    Lads how has your battery life been? Mine seems to be dropping off a bit too quick, the battery stats aren't helpful in deciding what it could be, I've also done a factory reset on the phone and it hasn't fixed it.

Here's some screenshots in case they help.

Mine hasn't been great. I was hoping I could avoid having to top-up power in work during the day, but I haven't managed that so far. I don't think I'm a very heavy user - mostly social media, reminders etc. I suppose I've probably been using it a bit more, given the novelty factor, but nothing too crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

The wife loves the 5.5 inches, and you think 5.5 inches is too big? :D

Yeah, I know. After the first 5.5" it was brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

My Mrs just got this phone today. She is on vodafone anyway so no need to unlock or anything. Updated it with no issues and contacts copied over and a few apps installed all with no issues.

However she is on a bog standard payg sim with no data so I turned off mobile data and background data.... But now she has a flipping annoying triangle in the top left notification area saying "Background data restricted Touch to remove restriction" and if you touch it it turns on background data again with no warning. I have read stories of inbuilt google apps using background data at a rate of a few hundred MB a day etc. She does not use the facebook app but that is supposed to be notorious for background data slurping.

I have seen a couple of websites saying it is not possible to hide that notification, you can hide notification for individual apps, but not for this... which is a bit of a pain in the hole. Anyone know how to hide it or a workaround for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

GvidoR wrote: »
    Nice. How do you find it? :)

Decided to leave it be until I get the unlock code. Should receive a case I bought on Adverts yesterday, feel better with some protection on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OK
    Funny type of question that may or may not be answerable.

Changed my car recently and got the upgraded headunit with it.
    When setting up my phone on it ( MOTO G 2 )
    I could add speed dials for some numbers
    ie.
    Favourites. When I added them I had a photo of the person in that shortcut. I changed to phone to one of these and now only have the favourites but no picture.
    Can anyone shed some light on why this would be and if it is possible to get the pics back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Just read about this phone and I'm intrigued.

Has anybody made a jump from Moto G? What's your experience?

I have a Moto G now and I really like the stock Android save for a few Motorola apps. However, it's 8GB and I'm sick of the low storage warning coming up constantly. Also 1GB RAM let's you know of itself every time you push the multitasking a bit.

So my concern is Android... Will this phone get updates? M?

Since it's branded Vodafone it just feels like one of this phone you can pick up from Chinese sites that are crap.

Still I'm very interested because it looks like the third generation Moto G with 2GB is nowhere to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

RainyDay wrote: »
    No, no text at all under the slider bar for me - no 'priority' option at all. I've had a look through the Sound settings, and I can't see anything that would affect this. Any ideas?

Make sure you're not playing any media (audio) files when you press the volume buttons. You should get something like this;
    59f8817f-420a-40be-a301-acd743751b56_zpsb3cuigbg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Hello. Had this phone for a while now and can't fault it. It's unlocked but was updated while on Vodafone. Only problem is it won't send group SMS using Messenger. If you add more than one recipient it converts the message to MMS and then fails to send. Thankfully, because that could end up costing. But has anyone else had this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You'd get a year out of it. Put a case on it then sell it on adverts for 100e and buy something similar in 12 months - much better option for me than going for flagship type devices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Just read about this phone and I'm intrigued.

I have a Moto G now and I really like the stock Android save for a few Motorola apps. However, it's 8GB and I'm sick of the low storage warning coming up constantly. Also 1GB RAM let's you know of itself every time you push the multitasking a bit.

So my concern is Android... Will this phone get updates? M?

Since it's branded Vodafone it just feels like one of this phone you can pick up from Chinese sites that are crap.

Still I'm very interested because it looks like the third generation Moto G with 2GB is nowhere to be found.

I upgraded from a 1st gen 8gb moto g.

Smart ultra is fairly stock android, most voda apps can be removed.

Prob won't see an android version upgrade so moto g wins on that front.

Smart ultra wins in every other way, it's a massive upgrade from moto g.

We can root smart ultra and install custom recovery so custom ROM's should start popping up soon.

Conclusion: just buy smart ultra if you can get stock, you will be impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

CyberGhost wrote:

CyberGhost wrote:

Yes I got the new model moto 4g 5' a few months ago when I decided to upgrade from my years old s4...

I hated it (the mg), it was slow, laggey & impossible to multitask especially as apps actually shut down when you switched to another one, the screen wasn't great nor the battery life, was heavy & thick too!

I sold that one & changed to the ultra 6... It's everything the moto g wasn't... Absolutely loved it right from the start!!
    The only thing I liked about the mg was the speaker quality... The u6 is still pretty good though! It's not perfect but no Fone I've ever had ticked EVERY box, even the much more costly ones!

However... The size is starting to get to me a bit, not the fone's fault but I do find that I tend to leave it behind a lot as I don't always have pockets big enough to put it in or a bag with me... Which kinda defeats the purpose!

I wish there was a 5inch fone on the market with the same specs & same price... That would be perfect, for me anyway...!!

banjolin wrote: »
    ...it won't send group SMS using Messenger. If you add more than one recipient it converts the message to MMS and then fails to send. Thankfully, because that could end up costing. But has anyone else had this issue.

(surreptitious bump for this question biggrin.png)

OK, in my case it sent all 30 MMSs and promptly added Eur5 (or something) to my bill frown.png

Anyway, I'd like to know how I can send group SMSs too... preferably using Messenger, but if there's a better app...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

(surreptitious bump for this question biggrin.png)

OK, in my case it sent all 30 MMSs and promptly added Eur5 (or something) to my bill frown.png

Anyway, I'd like to know how I can send group SMSs too... preferably using Messenger, but if there's a better app...

Messenger as in Facebook messenger? What text app do you use?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm guessing this one.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

GEWb6ZYNQpE5lGgnRSXkG_UePDR-qcVqOYBZbMfiYGxCuR2FrtXXpElvqVuAM65usQN0=w300-rw

No, text app...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

XDA reporting an update available today, suspected stagefright fix. No update on my device yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

corsav6 wrote: »
    I upgraded from a 1st gen 8gb moto g.

Smart ultra is fairly stock android, most voda apps can be removed.

Prob won't see an android version upgrade so moto g wins on that front.

Smart ultra wins in every other way, it's a massive upgrade from moto g.

We can root smart ultra and install custom recovery so custom ROM's should start popping up soon.

Conclusion: just buy smart ultra if you can get stock, you will be impressed :)
    unreg999 wrote: »
    Yes I got the new model moto 4g 5' a few months ago when I decided to upgrade from my years old s4...

I hated it (the mg), it was slow, laggey & impossible to multitask especially as apps actually shut down when you switched to another one, the screen wasn't great nor the battery life, was heavy & thick too!

I sold that one & changed to the ultra 6... It's everything the moto g wasn't... Absolutely loved it right from the start!!
    The only thing I liked about the mg was the speaker quality... The u6 is still pretty good though! It's not perfect but no Fone I've ever had ticked EVERY box, even the much more costly ones!

However... The size is starting to get to me a bit, not the fone's fault but I do find that I tend to leave it behind a lot as I don't always have pockets big enough to put it in or a bag with me... Which kinda defeats the purpose!

I wish there was a 5inch fone on the market with the same specs & same price... That would be perfect, for me anyway...!!

Thanks a lot guys!

I was actually about to rush out and buy it, but what stopped me is Android 5.0.2. The site says it's 5.1, but it's apparently 5.0.2.

I think I'm going to wait till it gets 5.1, my Moto G has 5.1 and I don't want to give it up, I've been waiting for it for months! (Motorola's quick updates is a myth).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anyone know if you can screen covers that fit these(sticky ones on screen that stop fingerprints) in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I read on overclockers that's users are getting another OTA for the ultra 6. Nothing has come through on mine yet. Interesting to see Vodafone are taking an interest in this handset getting updates out.

Yep, that's the one...

That's the one I am using too. I am using an Idmobile sim and I will hazard a guess that they are not supporting mms by default and thats why I fail to send. But the issue is converting messages with multiple SMS recipients to MMS.

Can that be stopped? The phone is on Android 5.0.2. The app is Android Messenger, the stock app for messaging on Lollipop, I believe.

vectra wrote: »
    OK
    Funny type of question that may or may not be answerable.

Changed my car recently and got the upgraded headunit with it.
    When setting up my phone on it ( MOTO G 2 )
    I could add speed dials for some numbers
    ie.
    Favourites. When I added them I had a photo of the person in that shortcut. I changed to phone to one of these and now only have the favourites but no picture.
    Can anyone shed some light on why this would be and if it is possible to get the pics back?

Were they Facebook profile pics? Try linking them again in contacts or syncing them in setting>accounts?

Im just guessing, I don't have FB on my phone.

How do you take a screenshot with this phone?

banjolin wrote: »
    Hello. Had this phone for a while now and can't fault it. It's unlocked but was updated while on Vodafone. Only problem is it won't send group SMS using Messenger. If you add more than one recipient it converts the message to MMS and then fails to send. Thankfully, because that could end up costing. But has anyone else had this issue.

Change your settings then from the default?

Click the three dots on the top right. >settings>advanced>group messaging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

mathie wrote: »
    I've some spare gel cases.

I'll do an experimental "pay what you like" (via paypal) if anybody wants one PM me.

Funds will go to a local hospital.

Last two available!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

GvidoR wrote: »
    How do you take a screenshot with this phone?

Hold volume down and power simultaneously

Change your settings then from the default?

Click the three dots on the top right. >settings>advanced>group messaging

If you mean Settings in the Messenger App it doesn't have "Group Settings" in Advanced, at least not on my phone, whether Messenger is selected as the default SMS app or not. See screen shot

If I select Hangouts as my SMS app I can send a group sms with no fuss, but it is such a clunky app.

I've been through every setting that I am aware of and can find nothing that relates to Group Messaging anywhere.

• Advertisement

damian139 wrote: »
    Hold volume down and power simultaneously

Thanks. :)

Advertisement