Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Just on the camera rattle thing - I've shook my phone quite a bit and do not hear a single sound / rattle / whatever.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting something or not getting the joke? Camera on my phone is completely silent regardless of shaking etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Just on the camera rattle thing - I've shook my phone quite a bit and do not hear a single sound / rattle / whatever.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting something or not getting the joke? Camera on my phone is completely silent regardless of shaking etc...

Tap the phone by the lens and put your ear up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Row wrote: »

Received this cover the other day and tbh i'm happy with it fitting perfect into its cradle and the cutouts for buttons/camera/speaker/microphone been spot on.....The only downside to it...

1)It took 3 weeks to get to me..:rolleyes:

2)Naturally the cover makes the phone bigger than it already is with it over hanging alittle and it been thicker.....Need bigger pockets now.

3)It came with a plastic screen protector which fits fine but is not as smooth as the original screen which is understandable.

The first thing my wife said when she saw it was..."When did you buy the purse"...:eek:...:D

Here are a few pics of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The first thing my wife said when she saw it was..."When did you buy the purse"...:eek:...:D
    Careful now....

http://news.sky.com/story/1538968/man-tasered-at-gatwick-over-easyjet-luggage-row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Received this cover the other day and tbh i'm happy with it fitting perfect into its cradle and the cutouts for buttons/camera/speaker/microphone been spot on.....The only downside to it...

2)Naturally the cover makes the phone bigger than it already is with it over hanging alittle and it been thicker.....Need bigger pockets now.

3)It came with a plastic screen protector which fits fine but is not as smooth as the original screen which is understandable.

Where did you get it from ebay or amazon or __?

I was considering the plain black, but thought it was a bit gay feminine :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'm in the same boat tbh. Mine didn't take three weeks to get to me, it was only a few days but it's more or less the same as yours. Big purse-looking thing that adds more volume to an already huge phone. Seems like all the available covers for this are variants of yours or pretty minimal gel covers. Real shame for such a great value phone that there's no decent covers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

I was considering the plain black, but thought it was a bit gay feminine

I thought I'd heard them all.....

Got if from amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/i-Tronixs-Vodafone-Smart-ultra-Retractable-Black-Carbon-Fiber-Wallet/dp/B011S795QS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Tbh i wasn't worried about the look of it as i work in a pretty harsh environment so needed a good cover to protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I thought I'd heard them all.....

huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Bought phone and unlock code. Got sim (Tesco mobile) cut to fit( in tm tallaght) have a 5gb data allowance but phone not finding it, and phone seems to be on o2 Ireland.( there's an 'R' beside the phone signal symbol) . is this a problem solvable by TM customer service,( closed for business when I set up phone) or is it more likely the sim card was damaged when being reduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

damian139 wrote: »
    Bought phone and unlock code. Got sim (Tesco mobile) cut to fit( in tm tallaght) have a 5gb data allowance but phone not finding it, and phone seems to be on o2 Ireland.( there's an 'R' beside the phone signal symbol) . is this a problem solvable by TM customer service,( closed for business when I set up phone) or is it more likely the sim card was damaged when being reduced?

https://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/international/phone-settings.aspx

If it's like 48 then Manual set up of APN probably needed for Tesco. 3 Network seems to be getting worse lately for Roaming problems, mines jumping over 3 networks, old Vodafone, the extinct 02 and 3s itself.

I've had a cut chip fail on me before, shortly after the cut, I'd order a new one just incase its gonna let you down either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

Any consensus on what the best cover is for this? I got one of the leather book type covers and it does the job but it's just too bulky for my liking. The phone is big enough already without adding to it. I'd love to find a very slim but durable one that covers the screen. Any suggestions?

I looked on e-bay and felt the same about most of the covers on there. They all looked a bit bulky. I actually ended up getting one in the Vodafone shop. It was the only one they had but it isn't too thick. Only problem with it is there isn't a clasp or magnet to keep the cover closed but it'll do the job until a better option comes along.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I'm using it on tescomobile.
    I couldn't get internet or mms working until I played around with APN settings.
    Working fine now. Did anybody else have to adjust their APN settings?

I switched to tescomobile last year and had to manually enter the settings into my then phone. I switched to Three a couple of months later because the Tesco signal was rubbish (I'm on a sim only one month contract so I can switch as I like). The phone picked up the three settings immediately without me having to enter them. I got an Ultra 6 last week and same happened. I just put in the three sim and it updated all the settings automatically.

So to answer your question I suspect it an issue with how Tescomobile sims update the phone rather than with your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Forgive a dumb question, but how do I great a new folder or group on the desktop to hold a number of apps?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Forgive a dumb question, but how do I great a new folder or group on the desktop to hold a number of apps?

Drag one app on top of the other.

touts wrote: »
    I looked on e-bay and felt the same about most of the covers on there. They all looked a bit bulky. I actually ended up getting one in the Vodafone shop. It was the only one they had but it isn't too thick. Only problem with it is there isn't a clasp or magnet to keep the cover closed but it'll do the job until a better option comes along.

€25 though :rolleyes: .. Think I'd put up with the few extra millimeters for a tenth of the cost of VF's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I've some spare cases.

I'll do an experimental "pay what you like" (via paypal) if anybody wants one PM me.

Funds will go to a local hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

mathie wrote: »
    I've some spare cases.

I'll do an experimental "pay what you like" (via paypal) if anybody wants one PM me.

Funds will go to a local hospital.

Fair play. If it helps anyone to decide, I have one of these and they fit perfectly. Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Techmaster wrote: »
    €25 though :rolleyes: .. Think I'd put up with the few extra millimeters for a tenth of the cost of VF's case.

The one I got was €19. Yes it was more than e-bay but at least I could check it out before I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Got the update notification this morning I'm on metoer and wondering is it worth updating yet. Running smooth currently no issues only want to update if it improves performance

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmyboy40

I Have a little tip for anyone who says the phone is stuttering and tap the Build number 3 times, to go into development options , within theres there are 3 options Window animation scale , transition animation scale and animation duration scale. all should be set to 1 be default, if you move them to .5x all 3 of them and reboot the phone.

After the initial stumble you get , while the ram gets up to speed, you should see faster transitions between apps and lollipop and a overall smoother feeling.

I not had an issues with X1 but X .5 certainly makes it faster.

Go the other way and say set it to 2 you see more animations in lollipop and the transitions are more exaggerated , showing off the lollipop animations off superbly, the phone can handle it, but it gets a bit warmer.

See how you go, but don't go lower than .5, on this setting its superb

I Have a little tip for anyone who says the phone is stuttering and tap the Build number 3 times, to go into development options , within theres there are 3 options Window animation scale , transition animation scale and animation duration scale. all should be set to 1 be default, if you move them to .5x all 3 of them and reboot the phone.

After the initial stumble you get , while the ram gets up to speed, you should see faster transitions between apps and lollipop and a overall smoother feeling.

I not had an issues with X1 but X .5 certainly makes it faster.

Go the other way and say set it to 2 you see more animations in lollipop and the transitions are more exaggerated , showing off the lollipop animations off superbly, the phone can handle it, but it gets a bit warmer.

See how you go, but don't go lower than .5, on this setting its superb

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Was trying different chargers there - some odd activity, one older HTC one had the screen flashing on and off - maybe it wasn't giving enough power, tried another and worked fine. Then took a call and the phone crashed....

.. but on reboot it's now downloading a large update from Vodafone - so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyone knows what this does? I saw something about improved features and I think messaging - the one thing I'd uninstalled as I'm using the phone with O2 / Three....

Will post again on how I find the update...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

https://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/international/phone-settings.aspx

If it's like 48 then Manual set up of APN probably needed for Tesco. 3 Network seems to be getting worse lately for Roaming problems, mines jumping over 3 networks, old Vodafone, the extinct 02 and 3s itself.

I've had a cut chip fail on me before, shortly after the cut, I'd order a new one just incase its gonna let you down
    either way.

Your advice was bang on thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Was trying different chargers there - some odd activity, one older HTC one had the screen flashing on and off - maybe it wasn't giving enough power, tried another and worked fine. Then took a call and the phone crashed....

.. but on reboot it's now downloading a large update from Vodafone - so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyone knows what this does? I saw something about improved features and I think messaging - the one thing I'd uninstalled as I'm using the phone with O2 / Three....

Will post again on how I find the update...

I got an update today, it mentioned performance improvements and also something to do with MS exchange. I've installed and everything seems fine. Still on 5.0.2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got an update this morning too. Still 5.0.2, but it mentioned performance improvements. Installed it and all's going well anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Anyone have a problem with google maps not able get my location accurately also sometimes it remains a grey dot in the wrong place. I checked all my options and my location is switched on for the app. Tried restarting the phone but no difference and it seems you cannot uninstall to reinstall the maps.
    Downloaded a gps test and it seems ok and also nokia here maps seem to be working perfectly any ideas on what else I can try? Very good phone other wise and great value for money coming from an iphone 6 user.

Hi Block (8

Go into settings and locations , is high accuracy on? also you can in these settings switch on accelerated location using qualcomms irate hardware acceleration, restart and now check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Hi Jimmyboy40 yes it's already on high accuracy and just tried qualcomms and restarted the phone but still no good.
    My other map app and gps test app the location blob appears at the top right of the phone next to the wifi signal but doesn't appear with the google maps. Does that mean Google maps is not accessing gps?
    How do you wipe the phone and restart again as a last measure?

Advertisement