Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Lads I got the brother a SU6 about a year and a half ago. Just looking now at maybe rooting it and putting a better ROM (LineageOS) on it. I've Googled but is there a method of rooting? He still has it on 5.1.1 so I'm not sure to update or not!

Try downloading Kingroot from Apkmirror.com and see if it can root for you, once you have root then get an app from the play store called FlashFire and it's as simple as choosing a file to flash.

Not sure if this will work or not on the SU6 but I've used this method on a few devices and it's worked well so hopefully it will again.

I've heard of Kingroot before, doesn't it install a load of garbage as well? Suppose a factory reset would sort it.

I've heard of Kingroot before, doesn't it install a load of garbage as well? Suppose a factory reset would sort it.

It bundles in some stupid app cleaner or something ridiculous like that but honestly if your only using it to get root you'll be fine, what I usually do is as soon as I successfully gain root access and install SuperSU I uninstall Kingroot and then flash my new ROM and make sure I wipe the cache and dalvik, afaik once you do that and install a fresh ROM there should be nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Does anyone know where to get a battery for one of these phones for reasonable money?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Does anyone know where to get a battery for one of these phones for reasonable money?

Few pages back somebody was on about replacing the battery, think they put a link up to where they got the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This is the one I fitted -

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Battery-for-Vodafone-Smart-ultra-6-V995-V995N-1ICP4-63-70-1S1P-Li-Polymer/172134316429

Just to warn you though, and this could be just coincidence or I could have caused it myself, but the camera, Bluetooth and WiFi all started acting up soon after fitting it. Camera doesn't start at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Battery-for-Vodafone-Smart-ultra-6-V995-V995N-1ICP4-63-70-1S1P-Li-Polymer/172134316429

Just to warn you though, and this could be just coincidence or I could have caused it myself, but the camera, Bluetooth and WiFi all started acting up soon after fitting it. Camera doesn't start at all.

Crazy postage cost for that!

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Crazy postage cost for that!

Yeah, 90% of the time I use Parcel Wizard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thanks for posting that. I haven't fitted mine yet. Unsure whether its the same brand as I'm not at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Recently found this old phone and brought it into CEX to trade it in they wouldn't take it as the sound is still playing when a headphone jack is plugged in. is this a known issue or how do I fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nolars wrote: »
    Recently found this old phone and brought it into CEX to trade it in they wouldn't take it as the sound is still playing when a headphone jack is plugged in. is this a known issue or how do I fix it?

Are you saying the speaker stays on when you plug in a jack? Not sure I understand. They're probably going to offer you 5eur for the phone anyway, probably better kept as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Are you saying the speaker stays on when you plug in a jack? Not sure I understand. They're probably going to offer you 5eur for the phone anyway, probably better kept as a spare.

Ya the speaker stays on when I plug in the jack. They offered 65euro so I wanna try fix it.

Nolars wrote: »
    Ya the speaker stays on when I plug in the jack. They offered 65euro so I wanna try fix it.

I'd take the €65!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeah the headphone socket is ****e.

I plug headphones in ad 99 times out of 100 it doesn't recognise them. tried EVERYTHING to clean/fix the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

copeyhagen wrote: »
    yeah the headphone socket is ****e.

I plug headphones in ad 99 times out of 100 it doesn't recognise them. tried EVERYTHING to clean/fix the jack.

Same here. 'Repaired' twice by Vodafone and faulty again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

I recently bought a Smart Ultra 6 for a friend and they've been complaining lately that from time to time faint grey stripes or like a ghosting or shadowy effect appears on the bottom half of the screen, covering the keyboard.

The screen itself is physically perfect and to the best of my knowledge the phone has never been dropped or otherwise damaged.

It only happens occasionally and they don't know what causes it to appear and / or disappear. When it does eventually go, the screen and display are otherwise perfect.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Anyone on here ever experienced similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm still using my SU6, I'll have it 2 years in January and it will be the longest I've ever had a phone, I was always a galaxy man before it.
    The thing is still going strong, i had the screen replaced by Vodafone after 4/5 months but since then its been pretty good.
    The battery isn't as good as it was new but its still decent for a phone of its age and from the use it gets. A charge in the car for my 25min spin home gets me thru to the night and that's from 5am till 10pm.
    I still can't believe how cheap it was, it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the flagship phones of its era but most of them are never used any way.
    I can't see myself replacing it anytime soon unless I drop it(or if I've jinxed myself now and it goes bang some night)
    Value for money I'd give it a 10/10.

.red. wrote:
    I'm still using my SU6, I'll have it 2 years in January and it will be the longest I've ever had a phone, I was always a galaxy man before it. The thing is still going strong, i had the screen replaced by Vodafone after 4/5 months but since then its been pretty good. The battery isn't as good as it was new but its still decent for a phone of its age and from the use it gets. A charge in the car for my 25min spin home gets me thru to the night and that's from 5am till 10pm. I still can't believe how cheap it was, it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the flagship phones of its era but most of them are never used any way. I can't see myself replacing it anytime soon unless I drop it(or if I've jinxed myself now and it goes bang some night) Value for money I'd give it a 10/10.

I passed 2 years at the start of October, battery life is gone desperate but still love the phone, dreading it dying, no idea what to replace it with

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

.red. wrote: »
    I'm still using my SU6, I'll have it 2 years in January and it will be the longest I've ever had a phone, I was always a galaxy man before it.
    The thing is still going strong, i had the screen replaced by Vodafone after 4/5 months but since then its been pretty good.
    The battery isn't as good as it was new but its still decent for a phone of its age and from the use it gets. A charge in the car for my 25min spin home gets me thru to the night and that's from 5am till 10pm.
    I still can't believe how cheap it was, it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the flagship phones of its era but most of them are never used any way.
    I can't see myself replacing it anytime soon unless I drop it(or if I've jinxed myself now and it goes bang some night)
    Value for money I'd give it a 10/10.

Still using mine too. Have it about 6 months longer than you I think. And it's solid, no major issues to speak of. Battery life is still good for me, and can get 6 hours of screen on time which is great for any phone, never mind one this old.

Best value I've ever gotten out of a phone. I think it was 189 all in at the time. Although I am in the process of looking for its replacement. It just doesn't have the RAM I need any more I feel.

I have mine over two years as well and all in all it's been great.
    Although it does have issues such as the headphone jack. Plus, ever since the Marshmallow update it's declined in performance and I have no memory left. Can't even move the apps to the SD Card anymore.Battery life isn't great now anymore.
    I will have to replace it soon, most likely in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I passed 2 years at the start of October, battery life is gone desperate but still love the phone, dreading it dying, no idea what to replace it with

Same as myself (going strong since Sep 2015), and still love the phone. No issues apart from the bluetooth cracking up during some phonecalls when connected to the car; no biggie for me really, just a tad annoying as I rarely take calls in the car anyway.
    Like you, I'm not looking forward to having to replace it.

Same as myself (going strong since Sep 2015), and still love the phone. No issues apart from the bluetooth cracking up during some phonecalls when connected to the car; no biggie for me really, just a tad annoying as I rarely take calls in the car anyway.
    Like you, I'm not looking forward to having to replace it.

With my one if I get into the car, start it and then turn on my Bluetooth it connects and disconnects straight away and won't stay connected.
    If I turn on my Bluetooth and then start the car I have no issues.
    Seems a strange one but its grand as I know how to sort it now, its only since the last update too a few months ago.

Had anyone heard anything about the Smart V 8? It seems to be the successor to the Ultra.

Had anyone heard anything about the Smart V 8? It seems to be the successor to the Ultra.

Supposed to be a good device. Not as popular as the SU6 was 2 years ago. It was quite expensive when released, but seems to be 199 now which seems good. Decent processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage. The specs are pretty good. It has no USB C, which annoyed me.

Supposed to be a good device. Not as popular as the SU6 was 2 years ago. It was quite expensive when released, but seems to be 199 now which seems good. Decent processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage. The specs are pretty good. It has no USB C, which annoyed me.

No USB C? What's that? Charger?

Just googled it and saw in on Vodafone's website for €199 and an Irish rugby jersey included in the price, dunno if its the new jersey or not tho.
    I went as far as checkout and it never asks for a size? Maybe its a voucher to bring to a shop?

.red. wrote: »
    Just googled it and saw in on Vodafone's website for €199 and an Irish rugby jersey included in the price, dunno if its the new jersey or not tho.
    I went as far as checkout and it never asks for a size? Maybe its a voucher to bring to a shop?

Saw that too, it seems a great little deal! I'd say it's a voucher.

That new Honor 7x looks a bit of alright for £200, I know it's a bit pricier than the SU8 but I'd say it's probably worth it. The 18:9 aspect of the display is really what makes me think it's worth looking at, All the new 18:9 phones make all 16:9 phones look ancient.

The only real flaw I can see is that unfortunately it uses micro USB instead of a Type-C connector but for the price you can probably excuse that.

DanC90 wrote:
    The only real flaw I can see is that unfortunately it uses micro USB instead of a Type-C connector but for the price you can probably excuse that.

Thanks for that must give it a look. Was having a quick look at the Xiaomi redmi note 4x, doesn't look too bad for the price either although I think its last year's model

• Advertisement

Thanks for that must give it a look. Was having a quick look at the Xiaomi redmi note 4x, doesn't look too bad for the price either although I think its last year's model

No problem, I'm not sure about that one but I would only recommend Xiaomi phones to anyone willing to root them because the software on them is full of bloatware and your better off putting a custom ROM on them.

Another phone to look at would be the Doogee Mix 2, Good reviews of it and it's just over €200 from the likes of AliExpress.

Advertisement