Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

DanC90 wrote: »
    No problem, I'm not sure about that one but I would only recommend Xiaomi phones to anyone willing to root them because the software on them is full of bloatware and your better off putting a custom ROM on them.

Except MiA1 which runs Android One.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Except MiA1 which runs Android One.

I'd forgotten all about that.. looks like a great stock Android option

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

DanC90 wrote:
    Another phone to look at would be the Doogee Mix 2, Good reviews of it and it's just over €200 from the likes of AliExpress.

Had a bit of a look online yesterday and ordered this phone, was on offer on banggood for €172. Probably take 2 months to get here but figured by that stage I'll be fed up charging this one! I'll let you know what it's like when it lands

DanC90 wrote:
    Another phone to look at would be the Doogee Mix 2, Good reviews of it and it's just over €200 from the likes of AliExpress.

Had a bit of a look online yesterday and ordered this phone, was on offer on banggood for €172. Probably take 2 months to get here but figured by that stage I'll be fed up charging this one! I'll let you know what it's like when it lands

I've ordered a few things from them and each time I was waiting 3-4 weeks with free shipping so you never know, there's so much choice now in the sub €200 market now 😀

Speaking of, I'm not sure if it's allowed here (mods feel free to remove if so) but I have an SU6 for sale if anyone here is interested in it. It's still in great condition and everything is working fine, unfortunately it's on Marshmallow (No Apps2SD support) but I thought I'd offer it here first in case someone needed a replacement or something like that.

PM me with a reasonable price and we'll go from there.

Again mods I apologize in advance if this is frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone had problems with phantom home key presses? This used to have every couple of days or so, but now it is every couple of minutes or so. It skips out of whatever app I am in, back to the home screen, and then into the home screen edit functions - as if someone is pressing the home key repeatedly. I've physically cleaned the area but it is still happening.

It is really difficult to use at this stage. My plan is to try a factory reset and see if that helps. If not, it's going in the bin.

Any better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Hi. Just wondering have many ran into a problem where the left hand side of the screen is unresponsive to touch? It happened mine last year and I didn't do anything with it.
    The one I bought for my mother is doing the same now. Can't find much from googling, but has to be more than a coincidence that both have same issues.
    Just wondering any quick fixes, or digitizer/screen replacement is needed. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sean29

monster1 wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering have many ran into a problem where the left hand side of the screen is unresponsive to touch? It happened mine last year and I didn't do anything with it.
    The one I bought for my mother is doing the same now. Can't find much from googling, but has to be more than a coincidence that both have same issues.
    Just wondering any quick fixes, or digitizer/screen replacement is needed. Cheers

I have the same issue with mine. In vertical mode I can't use letter P and Q and in horizontal position I can't use the spacebar, it's really annoying. I have the phone over 2 years now so warranty is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

My home button stopped working about 2 and a half years in. Just bought a new phone. It's worth the upgrade for fast charging. If you like big phones the Mi Max 2 is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

.red. wrote: »
    I'm still using my SU6, I'll have it 2 years in January and it will be the longest I've ever had a phone, I was always a galaxy man before it.
    The thing is still going strong, i had the screen replaced by Vodafone after 4/5 months but since then its been pretty good.
    The battery isn't as good as it was new but its still decent for a phone of its age and from the use it gets. A charge in the car for my 25min spin home gets me thru to the night and that's from 5am till 10pm.
    I still can't believe how cheap it was, it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the flagship phones of its era but most of them are never used any way.
    I can't see myself replacing it anytime soon unless I drop it(or if I've jinxed myself now and it goes bang some night)
    Value for money I'd give it a 10/10.

3 weeks later and I've jinxed myself.
    My charging port has packed up. Need to have the lead bent in an unnatural shape to make contact. All seems fine at night only to wake up and find the phone didn't charge for long and has less % than when I fell asleep. Its just under 2 years old, might chance getting it fixed. Think I've a week or 10 days before its 2 years old so I'll chance my arm lol
    Really like this phone. I'd buy another new if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Moribund

I had same issue and got replaced as per note here... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101876272&postcount=4787. It is a common issue.

.red. wrote: »
    3 weeks later and I've jinxed myself.
    My charging port has packed up. Need to have the lead bent in an unnatural shape to make contact. All seems fine at night only to wake up and find the phone didn't charge for long and has less % than when I fell asleep. Its just under 2 years old, might chance getting it fixed. Think I've a week or 10 days before its 2 years old so I'll chance my arm lol
    Really like this phone. I'd buy another new if I could.

Back to car phone warehouse and they wouldnt send it off. Said the warranty was 1 year, the 2nd year was with Vodafone and id have to send it off myself. They didnt think it would be a warranty repair tho and would cost upto €70/80 plus postage.
    Ended up ordering the smart V8 to replace it......anyone wanna buy a rugby jersey lol.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oh man, I totally jinxed myself saying how much I loved this phone. My home button has started to press itself randomly. Started yesterday and getting worse. Comes and goes, but it'll get worse no doubt. Any ideas? Well out of warranty now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

.red. wrote:
    Back to car phone warehouse and they wouldnt send it off. Said the warranty was 1 year, the 2nd year was with Vodafone and id have to send it off myself. They didnt think it would be a warranty repair tho and would cost upto €70/80 plus postage. Ended up ordering the smart V8 to replace it......anyone wanna buy a rugby jersey lol.

Worth chancing Voda, I got a replacement a few weeks from the two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oh man, I totally jinxed myself saying how much I loved this phone. My home button has started to press itself randomly. Started yesterday and getting worse. Comes and goes, but it'll get worse no doubt. Any ideas? Well out of warranty now...
    I had the same problem and it just got worse and worse - had to bite the bullet and go for a new phone. Let me know if you want to buy the old one for parts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had the same problem and it just got worse and worse - had to bite the bullet and go for a new phone. Let me know if you want to buy the old one for parts.

Why would I buy your broken one with the same problem??? It behaved itself today, but I think I'll look to order something new in the next week or so.

sweetie wrote: »
    Worth chancing Voda, I got a replacement a few weeks from the two years.

I didn't bother in the end, it was gonna be Monday or Tuesday before I'd be able to get to the post office which meant my warranty would probably have been out by time it got to them.

Another issue was I factory reset it, then tried to use it when they wouldn't send it off. As I was setting it back up it was asking for the original email address that was used. I kept entering it but it wouldn't accept it. I tried a few times and gave up as the battery was dying and I couldn't recharge it.
    Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Love, love, love my phone but unfortunately I dropped it yesterday straight onto screen and it's in bits. Can the screen be replaced on these? Is there any point? Any of the phones brought out since the 6 don't seem to have as good a camera etc. Is the V8 similar?

Am devastated.

Nuno wrote:
    Love, love, love my phone but unfortunately I dropped it yesterday straight onto screen and it's in bits. Can the screen be replaced on these? Is there any point? Any of the phones brought out since the 6 don't seem to have as good a camera etc. Is the V8 similar?

Have a look at the Honor 7x. Everything about it seems resembles the OnePlus 5T but for around €200. Great reviews of it so far too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

DanC90 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Honor 7x. Everything about it seems resembles the OnePlus 5T but for around €200. Great reviews of it so far too.

got a link at that price please?

• Advertisement

got a link at that price please?

I seen it on geekbuying about a week ago for €195 but after a quick Google the cheapest place seems to be AliExpress for €240 or Amazon for £240.

Just a heads up on this issue. I disabled the lights for the buttons on the bottom and it seems to have stopped this behaviour. I can't say whether it is a permanent fix, but it seems to have calmed things a bit at least!

I did just order my SU6 replacement, a oneplus 5T. I still think the SU6 is one of the best devices I've owned, it'll be missed!

Got my Doogee Mix 2 yesterday after near a month waiting on it to land from China. Think it's going to make a great replacement for my ultra 6. Nice size, heavy but not too heavy, seems fast and all going well so far. Ended up paying 50 customs but got the phone for 172 euro from banggood so still cheaper than getting the same spec phone here. Hubby got the umidigi z1 as a replacement for his 6, also so far so good. So if anybody else's ultra 6 is starting to fade I would highly recommend looking into some of the Chinese phones

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

My SU6 after 3 years needs a battery and digitiser replaced.
    I'm still happy enough with it's performance otherwise so I'm thinking of replacing both items.
    Can anybody recommend either of these as there seems to be a wildly varying selection out there to choose from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

My SU6 has started having an issue where it keeps reverting to the home screen (and doing some mad wee vibrations). I rebooted but it's still happening. I this tis likely that's an indicator it's on the way out, and have spent ages on kimovil trying to find a phone that would be considered an upgrade but without a huge cost associated.

Just a heads up on this issue. I disabled the lights for the buttons on the bottom and it seems to have stopped this behaviour. I can't say whether it is a permanent fix, but it seems to have calmed things a bit at least!

I did just order my SU6 replacement, a oneplus 5T. I still think the SU6 is one of the best devices I've owned, it'll be missed!
    La_Gordy wrote: »
    My SU6 has started having an issue where it keeps reverting to the home screen (and doing some mad wee vibrations). I rebooted but it's still happening. I this tis likely that's an indicator it's on the way out, and have spent ages on kimovil trying to find a phone that would be considered an upgrade but without a huge cost associated.

Worked for me while I had the SU6. Your results may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Worked for me while I had the SU6. Your results may vary.

Can't believe that was just up above... Thank you! I've turned off the pad lights now, so hopefully that solves the usage issue. The phone no longer takes the charger without being propped on something, so still on the way out, but you may have bought me some time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

After nearly 3 x years the daughters Ultra 6 is in it wind-down phase. It has been dropped so many times - i can't believe that the screen is still functional (so many cracks). Now its not holding a charge. Anybody recommend a good replacement?
    Great Camera (seems to be a priority)
    Budget < €300
    Prefer to get a mainstream brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Bravobabe wrote: »
    After nearly 3 x years the daughters Ultra 6 is in it wind-down phase. It has been dropped so many times - i can't believe that the screen is still functional (so many cracks). Now its not holding a charge. Anybody recommend a good replacement?
    Budget < €300

I'm just waiting on the lenovo moto g6 to hit the shops. Should be about 2 weeks a few versions will range between €2-300

• Advertisement

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Budget < €300

Nothing wrong with Chinese brands! Your ZTE lasted 3 years and cost half nothing when new. Xiaomi MiA1 is the phone of the moment. My girlfriend has one and it's been fantastic. You should be able to get one under budget at 180~eur

Advertisement