Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irishism Does Your Head In?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not as bad as "whatsherface"

At least whatsherface and whatshisface are on a par. Yer one, to me anyway, sounds demeaning.

Why not yer woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

'Of a'. For eg, I like drinking of a Saturday evening.

Speak properly you big thick Paddy.

Isn't this as a consequence of I rush to English.

I particularly like 'of a Sawherday'

'Of a'. For eg, I like drinking of a Saturday evening.

Speak properly you big thick Paddy.

First, the "thick Paddy" is very definitely not the person who says this (lovely and quaint) phrase. Second, as "of a" indicates something habitually done - e.g. "I used to see him of an evening" rather than on a specific occasion, it has a very precise function. Its function as expressing something which is done regularly is very similar to "do be" (from Ir. ) in Hiberno-English. Both of these are clearly expressing a distinction and as such they are only "bad English" to the uninformed. They are not comparable with, for instance, "I seen that" or "I done that", which are not making any such distinction and indeed are misusing the distinction which those words serve: I've seen that; I've done that, etc.

Third, as it seems to matter to some people, the Oxford English Dictionary considers "of a" in this usage to be part of Standard English (as opposed to just good English which is non-Standard):

of an evening (or morning etc.)

(Historically, "of a" in this usage probably derives from Norman-French de, as this person contends.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

At least whatsherface and whatshisface are on a par. Yer one, to me anyway, sounds demeaning.

Why not yer woman?

Do you find "yer man" demeaning?

Do you find "yer man" demeaning?

No, I wouldn't find yer woman demeaning either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

No, I wouldn't find yer woman demeaning either.

What's the problem with yer one then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

In Cork they're simply "that langer".

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BertyytreB

Couldn't be "arsed" reading the older comments "or whatever"

He said that to me..."or whatever"

It's down over there... "or whatever"

...."or whatever"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Why not yer woman?

I've heard "yer woman" as well.

Could be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that "yer wan" actually is a contraction of "yer woman". Might have started off as "your woman" but then it became "yer wan"/"yer one" over time because of our accents and just the casual context.

I've heard "yer woman" as well.

Could be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that "yer wan" actually is a contraction of "yer woman". Might have started off as "your woman" but then it became "yer wan"/"yer one" over time because of our accents and just the casual context.

Could be I guess. I just don't feel making a woman an object is particularly nice. That could be me being over pc though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I hate the Irish internalising of the mocking Britishism "That's a bit Irish". Every time I hear it coming out of an Irish person's mouth I think they've lost all self-respect.

I hate the Irish internalising of the mocking Britishism "That's a bit Irish". Every time I hear it coming out of an Irish person's mouth I think they've lost all self-respect.

That causes me to actually challenge them and ask them what's wrong with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

All the diddly-eye **** that Republic of Telly,the Journal and others peddle.

"Road frontage" "Homework and Glenroe on a Sunday night".

"What's for you won't pass you by" is the biggest pile of horse**** I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

"I'm going to Dublin tomorrow, so I am" "It does rain most days here, so it does"

Oh God I know 2 people who say that, and I get the urge to strangle them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Serial offender of this one myself but saying "Any chance of?" instead of "May I have?" or "Can I have?"

"Any chance of a cup of tea?"

Realised the extent of it when I was in someones house for the first time and found myself saying "Any chance of a toilet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Any chance of the ride?

Any chance of the ride?

Caused me a lot of confusion when carpooling in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Caused me a lot of confusion when carpooling in the USA

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm probably on my own here, but "Mammy" and "Daddy". Mam and Dad is fine, but the former just sounds ridiculous to me, especially when spoken by adults.

Even worse again if they're talking about their actual husband or wife, and not their parents.

One of the most disturbing things u will see, a grown woman calling her husband daddy in front of other adults. And vice versa.
    It is so wrong and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

People from north of Dublin saying they're going "up" to Dublin.
    They're going "down" to Dublin.
    It's the same in England, i.e. people around the South-East will speak about "going up to London" regardless of where they live in relation to it geographically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I get unnecessarily upset when people talk about 'promised weather'

'It's promised to be [insert weather] weather tomorrow'
    No it's not, it's forecast.

Advertisement