Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irishism Does Your Head In?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

SpaceTime wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is a lot of Irish neutral accents have a French thing going on where the last bit of a sound isn't quite finished.

It actually sounds quite nice, and it's where you get that T on the end of words that doesn't quite finish. Where as formal English English will tend to finish sounds very deliberately, as do most dialects of US English.

It's what gives a lot of Irish accents a sort of softer, slightly whispery vibe.

Thash 'cos we're half-pish. Roysh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Vojera wrote: »
    Draw.

It's a drawer, FFS. You can't just go around chopping the ends off words.

Ah shut your ho

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Vojera wrote: »
    Draw.

It's a drawer, FFS. You can't just go around chopping the ends off words.

Of course you can! English is all about doing that!

"Drawer" is never pronounced as spelt in anything other than US English.

It's something more like "Drou-ahh" in much of England.

It's actually normally pronounced "Dror" in Ireland. "Draw" is more like Boston or England tbh.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Thash 'cos we're half-pish. Roysh??

Well, French is largely designed for speaking after several bottles of wine.
    So it would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

idnkph wrote: »
    Grammar nazi's are in every county. Pretentious w**kbags that have to abide by what the old English gentry pushed on our country hundreds of years ago and want to correct others on how they talk or write to make themselves feel relevant.
    Its buying into the old prejudice that still exists since they invaded and raped our beautiful country.

You shouldn't have put an apostrophe in 'nazi's' - bad grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well, French is largely designed for speaking after several bottles of wine.
    So it would make sense.

Ever been to Louisiana? :)

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ever been to Louisiana? :)

I have a Facebook account....that is based in Louisiana... Never been there, just picked a famous fictional character, created an account and accepted over 1k friends as an experiment..... I don't think I have ever come across a more backward people....today being July 4th is just comedic gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

The word 'ye'. Say it but don't write it ye plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RTE pronunciations

Doon Lear uh

And

Port Laois Uh

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If any of you listen to Joe Duffy on the radio you'll hear almost every mispronunciation used in this thread On an all too frequent basis. My dogs have a better command of the English language than Duffy.
    What happen jew today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've encountered "I bees" in Donegal for "I am"

In Cork you'll get:

I do be
    You does be
    He/She/It do be
    We does be
    Ye do be
    they does be
    It's a Sligo thing too
    "She bees in the pub at lunchtime every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Bod
    As the Irish media like to call him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bodhi085 wrote: »
    Bod
    As the Irish media like to call him.

And the other fella from Limerick who looks like Frankenstein's monster, 'St Pauli'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

jacksie66 wrote: »
    The fact that everything is a fecking ism these days..
    Confusing "been" and "being" and "taught" with "thought".
    Boskowski wrote: »
    'would of, could of' and the likes. I mean one thing saying it as its hard to tell the difference when speaking fast, but in writing? Seriously?

Those aren't Irishisms. They're just examples of bad usage of English that people in Ireland, as well as those in other English-speaking countries, regularly come out with. As I'm typing this, I'm sort of watching an American sitcom where one of the characters just said "could of".

RTE pronunciations

Doon Lear uh

And

Port Laois Uh

That's required by gaeilge lobbyists. How the locals pronounce where they live is a minor technical irrelevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

My favourite/does my head in Irishism goes like this.

Person 1: So what did he die of?

Person 2: He died of a Thursday.

The obsession with potatoes.

An obsession that at one time cost half the population their lives.

If there was another famine tomorrow the same would happen again.

Nope, too many Indian takeawys now, naan bread and pilau rice, fck the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Give over :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Every time I hear an Olé Olé Olé chant go up at a MMA (particularly in the UFC) I cringe.

It's just one word, over and over....it's Spanish for christ sake, we don't even speak Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Clappers!

Clapping when a plane lands.
    Clapping when a movie ends.

Embarrassing stuff.

To think that that is an irishism is quite sad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Adults who refer to each other as 'lads'. It's sooo juvenile, the same fcukwits probably still refer to each other by nickname.:rolleyes:
    What collective noun would you prefer that me and the lads use? I don't really use the term myself, not having any friends to hang out with, but what term should I use?

Also, I've never had a nickname that stuck, even thoumariusz.gh my physical form should have helped. (Door frames aren't my friend). Most of my friends don't really have nicknames either.

If somebody asks me what I'm doing on Saturday night, should I say "Ah, I'm just heading to the pub with Anto, Algernon, and Andrzej.".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I do that to my girlfriend just to annoy her :D
    Especially if we are sitting apart on a flight, just give her a big cheeky grin and start clamping then wait for all the muppets to join in while she cringes in her seat, magic.......I have my fun and that's all that matters.

Diemos wrote: »
    Especially if we are sitting apart on a flight, just give her a big cheeky grin and start clamping then wait for all the muppets to join in while she cringes in her seat, magic.......I have my fun and that's all that matters.

You're a clamper?! It may not be an Irishism, but we all fckin hate you!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

'Would ya whiiist, the news is on!!!'

eternal wrote: »
    'Would ya whiiist, the death notices are on!!!'

That's more accurate in the shticks!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Diemos wrote: »

You are a mad, savage young one, for sure. Pure mule. And I don't tink for tree minutes you are a gowl or are gowling around.

Oh dear I think I may have had a few Irishisms in there...hands up...it's the way I talk.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

- When farmer types clap their big shovel hands and saw "Now!" right before tucking into a feed of spuds.
    - That kids' show that used to always be on TG4 with the two big hairy things
    - C'mere do you ever turn on the kettle to make tea but someone had plugged it out to use the toaster so when you pour your tea it's ice cold happens to me all the time haha.
    - X-Factor it makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

blueser wrote: »
    You also get that from people in the *West*. "We're going up to Dublin to see the shops. Look at the map, you gobsh1tes. You're going across to Dublin, FFS.

*Sorry, Wesht; another irishism that annoys the fcuk out of me. Putting in a 'h' after an 's' where there isn't one.

Says the fella from Mayo.

Advertisement