Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irishism Does Your Head In?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

blueser wrote: »
    Over here it's definitely "sangwich". And not your ordinary old ham sangwich, but a hang sangwich.

That's culchies for ya!!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

When are you going to fix the tap?

Now in a minute..

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dah and Mah.

My sister in law has three teenage boys who seem incapable of wiping their own arses and are always asking for her to do something for them. It often sounds like a ****ing sheep farm there at times. Maaaa maaaaa maaaaa

And as for Dah, if I ever get called "Dah" the offending child is getting sent to a finishing school straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

fullstop wrote: »
    It's not unique to Ireland though. I have a work colleague who is English and based in England who ends every conversation saying "bye" about 10 times.
    You mean you've sent it over here?!
    I don't know about you, but after the third or fourth "bye" I do put the receiver down -which is probably what was wanted on the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

When people use an 'Annoying Irishism' thread as a way to spout about trivial things that annoy you. I just did it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

MadDog76 wrote: »
    That's culchies for ya!!! :D
    All washed down with a sup (sorry; shup) of tay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Apostrophes handed out like snuff at a wake

Today's special's

Chip's and nugget's

That's not an Irishism, it's probably the most common mistake in written English, throughout the English-speaking world. It's called the 'greengrocer's apostrophe'.

Technically, regardless of where the capital is geographically located in the country you always go "up" to the capital city.

As they say in the yacht club: "it is simply good manners for peasants and ensures they know their place."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Confusing "been" and "being" and "taught" with "thought".
    Boskowski wrote: »
    'would of, could of' and the likes. I mean one thing saying it as its hard to tell the difference when speaking fast, but in writing? Seriously?
    blackcard wrote: »
    I should of instead of I should have

I think these are just mistakes that can be made by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Barry's Tea obsession. Saw them trying to get some sly PR today from the Berkley thing too.

• Advertisement

In the North it has not gone out of use. But it has been replaced with Till. As in Are ye goin till the match.
    [/I]

That's absolutely not new, it's actually an influence of old norse and an influence of the dialect spoken in parts of NI.

To is still "till" in most Nordic languages.

"Välkommen till Sverige" (Welcome to Sweden)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Common Waterford thing is to say "I do be" for example "I do be drinking laayrge bohels of Guinness in Geoffs"

I've encountered "I bees" in Donegal for "I am"

In Cork you'll get:

I do be
    You does be
    He/She/It do be
    We does be
    Ye do be
    they does be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Mot.****ing disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I've encountered "I bees" in Donegal for "I am"

In Cork you'll get:

I do be
    You does be
    He/She/It do be
    We does be
    Ye do be
    they does be

That's a crossover from Irish. You hear quare things like that in the West Country as well - "Oi be", "You'm arrr", etc. - and I imagine it has to do with the old Anglo-Saxon language.

jimgoose wrote: »
    That's a crossover from Irish. You hear quare things like that in the West Country as well - "Oi be", "You'm arrr", etc. - and I imagine it has to do with the old Anglo-Saxon language.

There are big chunks of Cork English that haven't changed much since the first Elizabethan era.

She was notorious for her use of the word "langers" when referring to the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

I think these are just mistakes that can be made by anyone.

With the exception of taught and thought being mixed up, I'd agree with you.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There are big chunks of Cork English that haven't changed much since the first Elizabethan era.

As Sir Walter Raleigh said when asked if there were really dreaded dragons out on the ocean like the maps said, there are, yeah!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Irish people calling other Irish people "Shinners", usually when the latter are not necessarily Sinn Fein supporters or the issue has nothing to do with Sinn Fein.

Do British people call each other "Tans"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I love most Hiberno-English phrases and teach them to my foreign friends. But the one I hate is "so I am" or "so it does" at the end of a sentence. What's the point of repeating it?!

"I'm going to Dublin tomorrow, so I am"
    "It does rain most days here, so it does"

(Used to hate the "does be" thing as well, but I've grown an appreciation for it. It's a useful verb tense we took from Irish that English was lacking :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Irish people calling other Irish people "Shinners", usually when the latter are not necessarily Sinn Fein supporters or the issue has nothing to do with Sinn Fein.

Do British people call each other "Tans"?

Don't think that happens anywhere bar here, so not really an irishism, more a boardsism if you will

There are some people in Ireland who just almost deliberately mispronounce things that are commonly known words:

Eg: The river Themes is pronounced Temes not "Thaymez" ⟨th⟩ for /t/

Westminster is has never been West-minister and is not even spelt that way.
    I can assure you if you're English and you started talking about the River "Life - ey" they'd correct you quickly!

Chicago is not Chick-Car-Go and nobody says it like that. I heard someone actually correct someone FROM Chicago about this!?!

Committee has never been "Commit-TeeeeeeeEEEEE" as is said in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭blackcard

Using the word 'with' instead of 'for'. I haven't been there with 10 years

blackcard wrote: »
    Using the word 'with' instead of 'for'. I haven't been there with 10 years

That sounds like direct translation from Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

blueser wrote: »
    *Sorry, Wesht; another irishism that annoys the fcuk out of me. Putting in a 'h' after an 's' where there isn't one.

That's often done intentionally for emphasis. If your going West your probably going to town/subarb or semi-rural places, whereas if you say your going Wesht, your going much farther into the 'real' rural areas.

Didn't work; despite exposure to RTE and miscellaneous relatives, they kept their English drawl and learnt to say a French peasant "waaaaaaaaaay" instead a nice posh Parisian "we"

Pronouncing "oui oui" as "waaaay waaaay" instead of "wee wee" will get you a much more positive reaction in Paris and France in general. You really don't want to sound like you only heard French in school, you want to sound natural.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I like "it'll be grand" only for the fact I know it's really not going to be. It is a good warning, only problem is when you have to explain it to a non-irish person aka a foreigner

That's often done intentionally for emphasis. If your going West your probably going to town/subarb or semi-rural places, whereas if you say your going Wesht, your going much farther into the 'real' rural areas.

Pronouncing "oui oui" as "waaaay waaaay" instead of "wee wee" will get you a much more positive reaction in Paris and France in general. You really don't want to sound like you only heard French in school, you want to sound natural.:)

Pffft...Bah'ouais! is the correct form :)

That's often done intentionally for emphasis. If your going West your probably going to town/subarb or semi-rural places, whereas if you say your going Wesht, your going much farther into the 'real' rural areas...

The "sh" instead of "s" thing is an excellent example of what an Irish accent actually is, and it's no coincidence that you tend to hear it in very rural/Gaeltacht areas.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of Irish neutral accents have a French thing going on where the last bit of a sound isn't quite finished.

It actually sounds quite nice, and it's where you get that T on the end of words that doesn't quite finish. Where as formal English English will tend to finish sounds very deliberately, as do most dialects of US English.

It's what gives a lot of Irish accents a sort of softer, slightly whispery vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Draw.

It's a drawer, FFS. You can't just go around chopping the ends off words.

Advertisement