Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irishism Does Your Head In?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The way drivers ask pedestrians for directions. No such thing as "excuse me do you know how I can get to...". They just drive up beside you and shout out a street name or name of an establishment. I've lost count of the number of times someone has shouted "DOOLEYS MOTORS" out of their window at me.

Correct response is to sing the Dooley's theme tune and walk off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There's one creeping in from England that's annoying me:

"That needs doing." instead of "that needs to be done."

Huge sign up on my local B&Q:

"Need it fitting?"

Not to mention the Scottish version: "That document needs read" (past tense read, that is, pronounced 'red')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Nope, nor do they call any one who disagrees with their view of history/politics or life in general North French/east Irish/ west Scandinavian.

They do though tend to call them un-patriotic self-loathing Guardian reading provo euro communists when they disagree with a national narrative on Britain's history/politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

They do though tend to call them un-patriotic self-loathing Guardian reading provo euro communists when they disagree with a national narrative on Britain's history/politics.

Ah, no they don't. The only people that do are Britain First idiots. Anything else you want to make up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

The way drivers ask pedestrians for directions. No such thing as "excuse me do you know how I can get to...". They just drive up beside you and shout out a street name or name of an establishment. I've lost count of the number of times someone has shouted "DOOLEYS MOTORS" out of their window at me.

As where when you ask in Ireland you get the answer "well you wouldn't want to start from here"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

People from north of Dublin saying they're going "up" to Dublin.
    They're going "down" to Dublin.

Up and down don't mean north and south. Up and down can refer to altitude, or in this case to a sort of metaphorical ascent whereby city is a 'higher' place than country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

They do though don't they though.

(say it fast)

deydododatdodon'tdey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nope, that's shinners you're thinking of.

What does "ah shure lookit" actually mean?

It's seems to be the latest "fad" saying which was preceded by ending every sentence with "so". Both of which are equally annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What does "ah shure lookit" actually mean?

It's seems to be the latest "fad" saying which was preceded by ending every sentence with "so". Both of which are equally annoying.

Prefacing sentences in speech with Well, Look, Anyway, So, Yeah etc is fine. Along with the usual Ums and Aws. Unless you think everyone should always work off a script.

But "So" has also crept into the written language, as evidenced by many threads here on Boards. So I was in the pub last night...... and the like. Of course none of this annoys me in the slightest but I should point out that So is not an Irishism. It apparently originated in Silicon Valley, in the computer fraternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Prefacing sentences in speech with Well, Look, Anyway, So, Yeah etc is fine. Along with the usual Ums and Aws. Unless you think everyone should always work off a script.

But "So" has also crept into the written language, as evidenced by many threads here on Boards. So I was in the pub last night...... and the like. Of course none of this annoys me in the slightest but I should point out that So is not an Irishism. It apparently originated in Silicon Valley, in the computer fraternity.

So pay your feckin water tax :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Down the country bogger: Can you get me a packet of Taytos from the shop?

Me: Yeah no problem, what flavour?

Down the country bogger: Hulahoops.

But the one Irishism that makes me cringe is singing ole ole ole ole at absolutely every sports event and non sporting competitions where an Irish team/ group or athlete is competing.

Bogger.
    Can't stand that especially from one Irish person to another. Nobody is more than 10 miles from a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

a britishism creeping in here too.....saying floor meaning ground drives me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bogger.
    Can't stand that especially from one Irish person to another. Nobody is more than 10 miles from a bog.

Ok fair point

Bumpkin.

Nope, that's shinners you're thinking of.

Is that your catchphrase or something?

singing ole ole ole ole at absolutely every sports event and non sporting competitions where an Irish team/ group or athlete is competing.

To be fair I think people just do that ironically at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,010 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

To be fair I think people just do that ironically at this stage.

No. I dont think so.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Absolutely

Followed by absolutely.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Absolutely

Followed by absolutely.

To be fair, at the end of the day, that is not an Irishism.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Up and down don't mean north and south. Up and down can refer to altitude, or in this case to a sort of metaphorical ascent whereby city is a 'higher' place than country.

Dublin is on the coast though so it has to be down unless you live below sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm probably on my own here, but "Mammy" and "Daddy". Mam and Dad is fine, but the former just sounds ridiculous to me, especially when spoken by adults.

Even worse again if they're talking about their actual husband or wife, and not their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I loathe sneery terms for those whose politics you don't like: Shinners, Blueshirts, etc. Also anything with "brigade" added. It shows such a lack of intelligence to use such terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

"the height of ignorance/arrogance/etc"

"what the actual fúck"

"your man, your one" is bad enough but it seems to be replaced now with the even more grating "me man/me one"

"I seen"

Irish computers that seem to be sold without punctuation keys.

lizzyman wrote: »

Nothing strange about "the height of..."
    Completely valid expression in standard English.

Computers all over the world are sold with no punctuation keys these days. It's not just Ireland.

lizzyman wrote: »

"what the actual fúck"

"your man, your one" is bad enough but it seems to be replaced now with the even more grating "me man/me one"

"I seen"

Andy Hamilton the English comedian was struck by the phrase Yer Man when he was on a visit to Tyrone. So much so that he took to using it on the BBC, such as saying Yer Man Cameron when referring to the Prime Minister.

Round these parts you also hear Your/Our Lassie/Fella. Welllll our fella how's it goin', any word from your lassie lately?

No harm in this at all at all.

You need a phrase for "your man" and "your one"

In England it's "whatshername" and "whatshisface" etc etc

Yer one is a horrible phrase.

• Advertisement

Yer one is a horrible phrase.

Not as bad as "whatsherface"

Advertisement