Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irishism Does Your Head In?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Apostrophes handed out like snuff at a wake

Today's special's

Chip's and nugget's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Mispronunciations of certain words annoy me ........ how can they get it so wrong!!?!

"Hostipal" ....... Hospital.

"Crips" ....... Crisps.

"Chimbly" ......... Chimney.

"Valentimes Day" ......... Valentine's Day.

"Sun Scream" ........ Sun Cream.

"Sambige" ....... Sandwich.

"Podaets" ........ Potatoes.

"Pacific" ......... Specific.
    No; you've got that one wrong. It's "sangwich".

People from north of Dublin saying they're going "up" to Dublin.
    They're going "down" to Dublin.
    You also get that from people in the *West*. "We're going up to Dublin to see the shops. Look at the map, you gobsh1tes. You're going across to Dublin, FFS.

*Sorry, Wesht; another irishism that annoys the fcuk out of me. Putting in a 'h' after an 's' where there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Vomit wrote: »
    You know, it seems AH goes around in a circle. There must have been a million threads like this. One such thread was stolen almost word for word by Republic of Telly, to make up material for their 'You know you're Irish when...' skit.
    I think it works both ways.

Ive seen funny posts on AH ,only to be repeated on Republic of Telly a few weeks later.
    I suspect some of the writers may be in our midst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Does be e.g. there does be a lot of people in the pub at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - The "ah shure it'll be grand" approach that pervades everything in this country, which leads to everything being done half-assed
    - The "it depends who you get" approach to everything from Customer Service to the Gardai. Inconsistency and generally poor service being the norm
    - The "who you know" approach, resulting in nepotism, corruption and cronyism that is not just restricted to the political class
    - The "I'm alright Jack" attitude, no matter how short-sighted it proves to be
    - The "Keeping up with the Joneses" attitude which fuelled a financial collapse
    - The evolution of that into the "what are they getting that I'm not" attitude in the recession times
    - The shirking of personal responsibility and accountability .. "it's not my fault I'm up to my neck in debt! The Government/my mates/family made me do it!" Everything is "someone else's" fault or responsibility.
    - The liberal/politically correctness. Calling it as it is is now "racist"/"discrimination"/or some other emotive nonsense used to deflect and discredit the perfectly valid points being made
    - The Irish herd mentality.. related to the above, it's more important than ever it seems to be validated and approved of by the consensus
    - The inferiority complex.. related to the above as we have to show the world and each other how "enlightened" and "modern" we are

I haven't got an inferiority complex. Have you?

Anyway your rant does not belong in this thread. Irishisms are verbal oddities peculiar to this country, not attitudes to politics and authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

They do though don't they though.

(say it fast)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mispronunciations of certain words annoy me ........ how can they get it so wrong!!?!

"Hostipal" ....... Hospital.

"Crips" ....... Crisps.

"Chimbly" ......... Chimney.

"Valentimes Day" ......... Valentine's Day.

"Sun Scream" ........ Sun Cream.

"Sambige" ....... Sandwich.

"Podaets" ........ Potatoes.

"Pacific" ......... Specific.

Chicargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

boobar wrote: »
    Childer...
    Childer is actually a very old word rather than an error per se. It's why we say children instead of childs.

It's similar to brether (brother), which gives us brethren. The mean's drifted from literally brothers to its modern meaning, but that's language for you. This sort of thing is why Shakespeare is so tough to read.
    mawk wrote: »
    Sure rent is only dead money!
    That one bothers me a little. There was some move to have pensioners in homes sell their houses to help fund their retirements. Lots of arguments to be had there, but I did find the common sentiment that you couldn't possibly consider ever selling the house very funny. I guess a mortage is dead money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

blueser wrote: »
    You also get that from people in the *West*. "We're going up to Dublin to see the shops. Look at the map, you gobsh1tes. You're going across to Dublin, FFS.

*Sorry, Wesht; another irishism that annoys the fcuk out of me. Putting in a 'h' after an 's' where there isn't one.
    Going up to Dublin seems fairly standard right across the country.
    In Donegal, we go up to Dublin, down to Galway and into Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

indioblack wrote: »
    This is the one that does it for me. At the end of a telephone conversation.
    It's probably a way of saying "This conversation is finished, now put the bleeding receiver down!"

It's not unique to Ireland though. I have a work colleague who is English and based in England who ends every conversation saying "bye" about 10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dorethy

Wimpleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't got an inferiority complex. Have you?

Anyway your rant does not belong in this thread. Irishisms are verbal oddities peculiar to this country, not attitudes to politics and authority.

Disagree.. the things I've listed are very Irish traits that have knock-on effects to politics and authority - and pretty much eveything else - and affect far more than accents, misprounciations etc

But fair enough, if we want to keep this simplistic - "happy out" is one that drives me mad! Makes absolitely no sense! :confused:

fullstop wrote: »
    It's not unique to Ireland though. I have a work colleague who is English and based in England who ends every conversation saying "bye" about 10 times.

Which is ironic since Bye is an abbreviation of Goodbye which comes from God Be With You. People end up spending longer saying Bye ten times than if they used the original phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

batter down the hatchets
    on August bank holiday "you might as well say it's xmas"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Starting sentences with "look at:" or "lukkit:"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sounds like y'all need to get out of Ireland more! I moved my children from England so that (amongst other reasons) they wouldn't end up with an ear-grating East Kent accent (aw roi may? yehhh, you aw roi? yeh om aw roi ... [not a T in sight] ) Didn't work; despite exposure to RTE and miscellaneous relatives, they kept their English drawl and learnt to say a French peasant "waaaaaaaaaay" instead a nice posh Parisian "we"

Irishisms are great - we teach them to all our friends who ask to learn English, starting with "Howarye, will you have a cup of tea?" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

blueser wrote: »
    No; you've got that one wrong. It's "sangwich".

Maybe down the country but in Dublin it's pronounced (incorrectly) as "Sambige".

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Saying 'Ked' (Kid) in the same way you would use 'Boi' or 'Lad'.

Hearing 'How's it going KED?' does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the absence of to its nearly the adverb that dare not speak its name. "go the shops" sort of thing.

• Advertisement

the absence of to its nearly the adverb that dare not speak its name. "go the shops" sort of thing.

In the North it has not gone out of use. But it has been replaced with Till. As in Are ye goin till the match.

More to be found at How till spake Norn Iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

"Who's looking at me 'crooked' today? <<.<< >>.>>"

Not quite the national passtime...yet

They do though don't they though.

(say it fast)
    That's scouse, not Irish. given your username, you should know that, La!

In the North it has not gone out of use. But it has been replaced with Till. As in Are ye goin till the match.

More to be found at How till spake Norn Iron

Whenever I was a child...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

using "herself" and "himself" to refer to a partner, does my head in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

People from north of Dublin saying they're going "up" to Dublin.
    They're going "down" to Dublin.

Technically, regardless of where the capital is geographically located in the country you always go "up" to the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The OP's thread title has to be some form of ironic joke. "Does your head in" is a phrase that irks me and I cannot offer a valid reason why. It's origin certainly isn't Irish but it definitely would be considered a fairly modern "ism" from somewhere.

Anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"The mother"

"The brother"

Maybe down the country but in Dublin it's pronounced (incorrectly) as "Sambige".
    Over here it's definitely "sangwich". And not your ordinary old ham sangwich, but a hang sangwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If any of you listen to Joe Duffy on the radio you'll hear almost every mispronunciation used in this thread On an all too frequent basis. My dogs have a better command of the English language than Duffy.

Advertisement