Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irishism Does Your Head In?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The quare wan

Any ska

Ah heere

Leave it ou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's actually normally pronounced "Dror" in Ireland. "Draw" is more like Boston or England tbh.
    It's all Dubs and Drogheda people that I seem to hear saying "draw". I don't mind the Drogs so much because they have that weird R thing going on anyway, but Dubs already drop their Ts without dropping more letters out of words as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Vojera wrote: »
    It's all Dubs and Drogheda people that I seem to hear saying "draw". I don't mind the Drogs so much because they have that weird R thing going on anyway, but Dubs already drop their Ts without dropping more letters out of words as well.
    Literally haven't heard a single Dublin native pronouncing drawer as "draw."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the absence of to its nearly the adverb that dare not speak its name. "go the shops" sort of thing.

What happened it

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Irish people calling other Irish people "Shinners", usually when the latter are not necessarily Sinn Fein supporters or the issue has nothing to do with Sinn Fein.

Do British people call each other "Tans"?

Nope, nor do they call any one who disagrees with their view of history/politics or life in general North French/east Irish/ west Scandinavian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wang King wrote: »
    I have a Facebook account....that is based in Louisiana... Never been there, just picked a famous fictional character, created an account and accepted over 1k friends as an experiment..... I don't think I have ever come across a more backward people....today being July 4th is just comedic gold!

You haven't come across the Cajun people at all, you're just Wang King on Facebook. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Literally haven't heard a single Dublin native pronouncing drawer as "draw."
    All my wife's cousins do. They're Ballymunners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

jimgoose wrote: »
    You haven't come across the Cajun people at all, you're just Wang King on Facebook. :)

Unfortunately, I have, and I'm allergic to crawfish and shrimp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wang King wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have, and I'm allergic to crawfish and shrimp :)

Your loss. How about Bourbon and gumbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

jimgoose wrote: »
    Your loss. How about Bourbon and gumbo?

No thanks, shellfish isn't for me

I do like the fact that they're all up in arms at the moment because the dukes of hazzard has been pulled from the schedules

• Advertisement

RTE pronunciations

Doon Lear uh

And

Port Laois Uh

RTÉ is correct. How do you pronounce Aoife? Deirdre? Gráinne? Áine?

Likewise, with Dún Laoghaire and Portlaoise. There's nothing wrong with being consistent.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That's required by gaeilge lobbyists. How the locals pronounce where they live is a minor technical irrelevance.

:rolleyes:. It's actually required by virtue of it being the well-established, indisputably correct pronunciation, regardless of what some undereducated sorts in the aforesaid places would like to claim is the "correct" pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

:rolleyes:. It's actually required by virtue of it being the well-established, indisputably correct pronunciation, regardless of what some undereducated sorts in the aforesaid places would like to claim is the "correct" pronunciation.
    Undereducated sorts? You're having a laugh there. You mean 99.9% of the Country

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Undereducated sorts? You mean 99.9% of the Country

Have you a source for that? There are plenty of words which people say incorrectly; it doesn't make it correct if somebody "done" something or "seen" something, or calls the zero in a phone number after the letter 0, owe. That zero will never correctly be a letter, no matter how many people say it as 'owe'. Likewise, an e at the end of an Irish word is not correctly pronounced when it is pronounced like the e at the end of an English word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I prefer the 'proper' Irish pronunciations of Dún Laoghaire and Portlaoise. When spoken really well (i.e. softening the 'D' in Dún Laoghaire, the 'T' in Taoiseach, etc), I think Irish is a really nice-sounding language.

Have you a source for that? There are plenty of words which people say incorrectly; it doesn't make it correct if somebody "done" something or "seen" something, or calls the zero in a phone number after the letter 0, owe. That zero will never correctly be a letter, no matter how many people say it as 'owe'. Likewise, an e at the end of an Irish word is not correctly pronounced when it is pronounced like the e at the end of an English word.
    Have you a source on your claim of undereducation?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

"Feck"

Leave it be, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

Our obsession with the weather drives me nuts!

'Not a bad day out, now'

'I heard it's to rain tomorrow'

'It's too warm, isn't it?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

GaryTLynch wrote: »

'Not a bad day out, now'

Fierce mild though, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Of a'. For eg, I like drinking of a Saturday evening.

Speak properly you big thick Paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People calling their house/home their Gaff.

The Mot

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

GaryTLynch wrote: »

'Not a bad day out, now'

That's absolutely not an unique Irish thing and is common in places with highly changeable weather. (Most of western coastal Europe)

In parts of America it's more like half the year: it's hot! Other half the year ; it's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

"I should of went"

No, you should have GONE to school, you useless fuccking cunnt! :mad:
    Increasing numbers of people seem to be incapable of using the correct past tense and it drives me fuccking crazy.

People who cannot express themselves without punctuating their sentences with 'fuccking'! Very Irish!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

blueser wrote: »
    You also get that from people in the *West*. "We're going up to Dublin to see the shops. Look at the map, you gobsh1tes. You're going across to Dublin, FFS.

*Sorry, Wesht; another irishism that annoys the fcuk out of me. Putting in a 'h' after an 's' where there isn't one.

That 'h' after the 's' sound has been creeping into general speak
    for the last while - mostly from America. Examples: shtress, ashume, conshtruction, exhstraordinary, etc. Michelle Obama is
    a serial offender - 'shtruggle'. Heard John Travolta say 'Hairshpray'
    recently! Really doing my head in!! Perhaps they have ancestors from the wesht of Ireland!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People in places like Bray saying "I'm going into town", when they are in a town already. Apparently they mean they are going to Dublin city.

It doesn't do my head in nor even annoy me in the slighest, but I just thought I'd mention it.

'Of a'. For eg, I like drinking of a Saturday evening.

That's a slightly archaic preposition and is used elsewhere too, particularly in lyrics and poetry.

There's one creeping in from England that's annoying me:

"That needs doing." instead of "that needs to be done."

Huge sign up on my local B&Q:

"Need it fitting?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I love most Hiberno-English phrases and teach them to my foreign friends. But the one I hate is "so I am" or "so it does" at the end of a sentence. What's the point of repeating it?!

"I'm going to Dublin tomorrow, so I am"
    "It does rain most days here, so it does"

This practice is absolutely rampant in Norn Iron speak, so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The way drivers ask pedestrians for directions. No such thing as "excuse me do you know how I can get to...". They just drive up beside you and shout out a street name or name of an establishment. I've lost count of the number of times someone has shouted "DOOLEYS MOTORS" out of their window at me.

Advertisement