Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deutschland 83/86/89 [SundanceTV] [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Acosta wrote: »
    Might have said this already, but it's a pity there was never a second season of The Same Sky. I think they probably got the look and feel of what it must have been like to live in the DDR and the whole craft of being a spy a lot better.

Agree. Talk about a cliffhanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Been keeping an eye on this one and we recently rewatched 83 and 86! smile.png

I just quickly checked there, but could find no further info on when we can watch it in Ireland.

Anyway, the trailer...

Looks like there is plenty of excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

Theres nothing anywhere about when or if it's going to be on Channel 4 or RTE. Unfortunately I'd say it will be early next year before it's on either. Such a shame it's simply not on Amazon in these parts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Theres nothing anywhere about when or if it's going to be on Channel 4 or RTE. Unfortunately I'd say it will be early next year before it's on either. Such a shame it's simply not on Amazon in these parts too.

I'd rather watch it on the telly than on Amazon though. Amazon doesn't do proper subtitles for the show, only audio descriptive ones!

I'd rather watch it on the telly than on Amazon though. Amazon doesn't do proper subtitles for the show, only audio descriptive ones!

They're bad, but watchable. At least you don't need a magnifying glass to see them like the RTE subs for D86. Amazon do need to sort out their subs though. They don't even work when using chromecast via the phone app. I must connect the laptop to the TV each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

They're bad, but watchable. At least you don't need a magnifying glass to see them like the RTE subs for D86. Amazon do need to sort out their subs though. They don't even work when using chromecast via the phone app. I must connect the laptop to the TV each time.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to have audio descriptive subtitles, but the omission of regular subtitles on a show that's all German is just super lazy on Amazon's part. It almost seems like a mistake. But then their subtitling issues are rampant, so much so that I tend to avoid watching anything on their service that has foreign dialogue in it.

I was watching the German show "4 Blocks" and you specifically had to switch subtitles on, but I got fed up with certain scenes or lines of dialogue that were missing any translation.

I was watching The Missing (English show, but set in France for season 1), but stopped when I realized that the French scenes were supposed to be subtitled but weren't.

Hilariously, there was one show I had no problems with (French show, The Bureau), and they removed it before I finished it!

It's such an inconsistent service that while watching The Boys recently, an exchange happens in French (no subtitles) and I panicked thinking "are they missing or am I just not supposed to know what they're saying?!".

Amazon are a hot mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Roald Dahl wrote: »

I just quickly checked there, but could find no further info on when we can watch it in Ireland.

Anyway, the trailer...

The auto translate on youtube is good.

I will be able to watch a English subtitled version in the next few weeks.

Having watched the trailer.. I do not know what to make of it. It might be because I am old enough to remember that brodcast. My mum Cried.

The world did.

Anyway, the trailer...

The auto translate on youtube is good.

I will be able to watch a English subtitled version in the next few weeks.

Having watched the trailer.. I do not know what to make of it. It might be because I am old enough to remember that brodcast. My mum Cried.

The world did. Happy tears.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

prinzeugen wrote: »
    My mum Cried.

The world did. Happy tears.

I was 11 going on 12 and it's the first time I ever cried happy tears. I'd never understood before that how people would cry when happy but watching those scenes brought up such strong emotions in me that I cried.

Just finished the first episode of 89. Very good!

• Advertisement

The wall is down by the end of the first episode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've watched the first 4. I'd love to say I was going to space them out but I won't. I'm preferring 89 to 86 so far. It's a pity Ludwig Trepte's Alex has no place in the story. He was fairly pointlessly shoehorned into 86, though, so it's probably better that we don't see him than have lots of scenes with little bearing on the plot just to include him. I'm assuming at this point that, speculation,
    the fall of communist Romania will be a big part of the finale. The Ceaușescus were tried on Christmas day, so that neatly leads into the end of 89, with a little bit of time for a wrap up on NYE as the decade closes.

Where are you both watching it? On Amazon and located in Germany?

I can see it on amazon.de, but it is not available to me due to being in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Any pointers how one could watch '89 from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really enjoying it. As someone else said, probably more than 86, which was good, but the first half of the season dragged a bit. This is far better paced.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Might have said this already, but it's a pity there was never a second season of The Same Sky. I think they probably got the look and feel of what it must have been like to live in the DDR and the whole craft of being a spy a lot better.
    For anyone interested, "A Perfect Crime" is an interesting watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was looking at a Variety article which stated that Freemantle International are going with Channel 4 again for the UK market, obviously that'll do for us as well. Maybe Amazon will get first dibs and then C4 as the secondary market. If that's true then it could be well into 2021 before it's FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

More4 is showing The Same Sky later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Starts on Sundance network in the States on 29th October so hopefully available via the usual with English subs after then.

Edit, just spotted it’s already started in Australia so must be on t’interwebs already with subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

mailforkev wrote: »
    Starts on Sundance network in the States on 29th October so hopefully available via the usual with English subs after then.

Edit, just spotted it’s already started in Australia so must be on t’interwebs already with subs.

It's been available for almost a month with eng subs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Homelander wrote: »
    It's been available for almost a month with eng subs. :)

Indeed it is. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

brian_t wrote: »
    More4 is showing The Same Sky later this month.
    Available at the moment.

Any update as to when this can be seen in Ireland?

Is it still Bückware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Testament1

Loved season 1 of this. Started into it after bingeing through Dark so it was great to continue the German drama. Season 2 is showing up on Prime Video for me but only to buy or rent. I have no intention of paying extra when I'm already paying for the prime subscription. Anyone found a version with the Spanish audio and English subs? My wife is South American, we watched season 1 this way on Prime.

Any update as to when this can be seen in Ireland?

Is it still Bückware?

It's on Channel 4 next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Boskowski wrote: »
    Only weakness was in episode 4 I think; the whole Linda thing between where she found out he's the spy and her death makes no sense at all. But other than that very well done and very entertaining. Good pace and like the actors too. Probably one of the best TV series that has come out of Germany. Really recommend it.

I’ve just discovered this on All4 and I think it’s brilliant. Am mid way through 86 at the moment, so I haven’t read all of this thread for fear of spoilers. I did think that part of 83 didn’t make much sense. He spots Linda from a bridge in the city and suddenly she’s running through woods away from him. It was like there was a scene missing. Anyway, a minor enough quibble. It’s still the best tv I’ve see since Narcos. Is 89 been shown at the moment ? If so, where ?

Edit, scrap that question. I hadn’t seen the post above mine before I wrote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Deutschland 89 starts on More4 at 9pm on 26 February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Deutschland 89 starts on More4 at 9pm on 26 February

Yaaaaaay, can’t wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

There is an interview with the writers and stars in todays Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/03/deutschland-89-stasi-horror-spy-trilogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I suppose it will be available on the All4 website?

Advertisement