Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deutschland 83/86/89 [SundanceTV] [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great acting, great characters, great story and all the tense set pieces were expertly directed. I loved that it moved at such a fast pace too. I'd rather have to join the dots if it sacrifices things getting boring.

I've never been able to watch anything subtitled but this and Dark gripped me this year. Maybe it's a German thing for me. Any recommendations on other German shows?

Can't wait for 86 now and, yeah, they better keep that theme tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great acting, great characters, great story and all the tense set pieces were expertly directed. I loved that it moved at such a fast pace too. I'd rather have to join the dots if it sacrifices things getting boring.

I've never been able to watch anything subtitled but this and Dark gripped me this year. Maybe it's a German thing for me. Any recommendations on other German shows?

Can't wait for 86 now and, yeah, they better keep that theme tune!
    Generation War, 3 part mini series, there's little comparison to be made with Deutschland 83 apart from the fact that it's German and it's also brilliant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Largely German only trailer (it's a DE link). Try Youtube subtitles and it helps a little. Still get a sense of the atmosphere, something to look forward to.

Also...

https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1047053923931045889

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hell yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone watched it, then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

It had a quick skim through of the first episode on an unofficial site. It has only been released in Germany so there was no English subtitles.

It skips between South Africa and the DDR. Without subtitles I cant say what the story is about other than arms deals.

Releasing in the USA tomorrow so there should be a subtitled version in a few days if you don't want to wait until Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Very good again. Not sure where it goes from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Tristram wrote: »
    Very good again. Not sure where it goes from here.

Deutschland 89. They said somewhere that the series will be similar to This Is England.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A very enjoyable season. Hopefully it won't be three years before we see Deutschland 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Where can one watch this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Where can one watch this?

Starting on Rte 2 Wednesday night at 10.50. I’ve just started rewatching Deutschland 83 on On Demand Ch4. Loved it first time, looking forward to D86

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Starting on Rte 2 Wednesday night at 10.50. I’ve just started rewatching Deutschland 83 on On Demand Ch4. Loved it first time, looking forward to D86

Quick synopsis from the RTE Guide :
    10.50pm RTÉ 2

The follow-up to German drama Deutschland 83 shifts forward a few years, but promises a return to the twists and turns that fans loved about the original.

Three years have passed, and Europe is changing. East Germany is on the brink of completely crumbling, as the political and social winds begin to change direction.

Martin Rauch was exiled for his actions years ago, and now finds himself wallowing in a self-imposed limbo.

However, that all changes when his Aunt Lenora returns, seeking his help in a scheme that should see them drum up some much-needed hard currency abroad.

Thus begins the pair’s whirlwind tour, as they do everything in their power to keep the idea of Communism alive.

I'm really looking forward to this, 83 was a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Similar in theme, on Netflix, and also very enjoyable so far, is the Polish series 1983 - in it, a terrorist attack in the titular year causes opposition to the Communists to collapse, meaning the Eastern bloc remains intact twenty years later. Two people who have been loyal to the system until now begin investigating the attack, and a resistance movement has just become active.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Similar in theme, on Netflix, and also very enjoyable so far, is the Polish series 1983 - in it, a terrorist attack in the titular year causes opposition to the Communists to collapse, meaning the Eastern bloc remains intact twenty years later. Two people who have been loyal to the system until now begin investigating the attack, and a resistance movement has just become active.

Thanks for the link. I've never even heard of this series....I wonder if RTE2 or Channel 4 will pick it up like D83.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Strazdas wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I've never even heard of this series....I wonder if RTE2 or Channel 4 will pick it up like D83.

I wouldn't think so. Do any Netflix originals make it to regular television?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lertsnim wrote: »
    Orange is the new black has been on irish tv I am pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Can you watch 86 without having watched 83?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

lertsnim wrote: »

TG4 show some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

gmisk wrote: »
    Orange is the new black has been on irish tv I am pretty sure.
    It started on TG4 last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

probably not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Watch D83 if you get chance. It’s on On Demand ch4 if you have it. I re-watched entire series over weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Watch D83 if you get chance. It’s on On Demand ch4 if you have it. I re-watched entire series over weekend.

It's on Amazon Prime Video as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

enjoying the second series, my wife is German so is able to fill me in on the little cultural things like obsession with the show "The Love Boat" etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

silverharp wrote: »
    enjoying the second series, my wife is German so is able to fill me in on the little cultural things like obsession with the show "The Love Boat" etc.

Fairly sure that was on RTE as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there was a german version of the show if i understand it right, they werent talking about the US show

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A new series is being advertised for RTE 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Gorgeous as ever - stylish, sharp, witty, just like 83 (but with a growing confidence). Acting and writing just as sublime. Interesting new location (South Africa) and political angle now.

One thing it lacked was the string of great songs on the soundtrack - not as big on music this time (so far).

Also, it doesn't make sense that a young man behind the iron curtain most of his life would have such exemplary English.

But otherwise perfection in my opinion. :)

Also, the women are gloriously bad-ass. No "Waaah I'm a victim of the patriarchy!" whining from those chicks!

https://goo.gl/images/T4R2xq

Definitely not I'm afraid. But consider yourself lucky - you get to see '83 for the first time. I'm jealous!

• Advertisement

Settled back into proceedings nicely, with style and humour. Key players are there and I do enjoy how unapologetically they live their world view. The archive footage from SA was pretty grim.

Presume we're all looking up The Love Boat now...
    One thing it lacked was the string of great songs on the soundtrack - not as big on music this time (so far).

Martin's fooked without his walkman.

Advertisement