Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

You get used to it. I've an uncle who's a doc and said the when he did medicine people were fainting etc at the sight of blood but that they eventually got used to it. There are loads of disciplines in med that don't require you to give stitches or take bloods so I wouldn't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Medicine CAO applications are down by 2%. Don't know if it will affect points that much.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/cao-figures-show-rise-in-hopes-for-careers-in-construction-1.2730234

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Guys can someone help me - when I look at the entry requirements for cork last year the points that is, there are two points 736 (I think) and 726* , I know that not everyone on 726 was offered but my q is - was everyone from 736-726 offered in the same round (first round) or what was the first round cut off?

Do Ye think I will be ok with 730???

I would really appreciate ye're help thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

yoyojc wrote: »
    Guys can someone help me - when I look at the entry requirements for cork last year the points that is, there are two points 736 (I think) and 726* , I know that not everyone on 726 was offered but my q is - was everyone from 736-726 offered in the same round (first round) or what was the first round cut off?

736 is the minimum offered a place in round one I think and then 736-726 would be offered the remaining places in round 2 but the people with points closer to 736 would be given round 2 offers first if that makes sense!

730 is a good score and if points drop you could be lucky but of course you can never predict or feel comfortable with the cao!
    Make sure you have Nuig second to ucc if you are in doubt!
    Best of luck 😄

736 is the minimum offered a place in round one I think and then 736-726 would be offered the remaining places in round 2 but the people with points closer to 736 would be given round 2 offers first if that makes sense!

730 is a good score and if points drop you could be lucky but of course you can never predict or feel comfortable with the cao!
    Make sure you have Nuig second to ucc if you are in doubt!
    Best of luck

Thanks a lot for the help :) hoping I'll be ok with 730 for Cork... I think it is likely seeing as it went down to 726 last year? If I'm wrong someone please tell me because I really don't want to go to Galway because Cork is so close hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

retweet wrote: »
    Medicine CAO applications are down by 2%. Don't know if it will affect points that much.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/cao-figures-show-rise-in-hopes-for-careers-in-construction-1.2730234

Does anybody think this will lead to a possible point drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Throwaway25

Thanks a lot for the help :) hoping I'll be ok with 730 for Cork... I think it is likely seeing as it went down to 726 last year? If I'm wrong someone please tell me because I really don't want to go to Galway because Cork is so close hahaha

If you're referring to the points requirements as published on the CAO website, the 736 is the median points score. It's mentioned at the top of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesc2016

Does anybody think this will lead to a possible point drop?

Taking into account the lower number of people who got 160+ in the hpat this year when compared to last year and the lower number of applications this year I think it is quite possible that we could see a 2 or 3 point drop on last year.

If you're referring to the points requirements as published on the CAO website, the 736 is the median points score. It's mentioned at the top of the page

Sorry I made a silly mistake , thanks a lot appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 granthamx

Just wondering has anyone heard back about the M****try scholarships? Got 100th percentile so I have high hopes but they didn't say when the deadline is for applications or when we find out if we got one

• Advertisement

granthamx wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone heard back about the M****try scholarships? Got 100th percentile so I have high hopes but they didn't say when the deadline is for applications or when we find out if we got one

Wow what a result!
    I'm sorry I don't know anything about this but I have to ask when did you start practicing and how long did you practice with ******** each week?
    We're your percentiles high the whole way through or was this a surprising result?

Sooo excited for CAO offers why does it have to be so far away

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Sooo excited for CAO offers why does it have to be so far away

When do you get your offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 granthamx

Wow what a result!
    I'm sorry I don't know anything about this but I have to ask when did you start practicing and how long did you practice with ******** each week?
    We're your percentiles high the whole way through or was this a surprising result?

Thanks! No it was definitely a surprise I still can't believe it! I was confident that I'd put is as much work as I could have, and I thought it went well enough on the day, but I still hadn't a clue what that would amount to, the HPAT is just so unpredictable!

I did a different course around Christmas of 5th year and then started M******* in August. Didn't do many of the drills and things but did an exam a week from September till February. Then bought the extra 5 exams from M******* and did those over mid term.

As for percentiles, they were very up and down for the first few months, but then from Christmas onwards they were fairly consistently in the mid to high 90s. To be honest though I wouldn't pay too much attention to M******* percentiles ... It's nice that they give you an idea of how your doing in comparison with everyone else but they're not really accurate (you're only being compared to other M******* people and they mightn't be taking the test under exam conditions) and in the end all that really matters is how you perform on the day!

Best of luck with your HPAT prep! Just get started as early as possible and try to keep it up consistently until February, even if it gets difficult with the 6th year work load!

granthamx wrote: »
    Thanks! No it was definitely a surprise I still can't believe it! I was confident that I'd put is as much work as I could have, and I thought it went well enough on the day, but I still hadn't a clue what that would amount to, the HPAT is just so unpredictable!

I did a different course around Christmas of 5th year and then started M******* in August. Didn't do many of the drills and things but did an exam a week from September till February. Then bought the extra 5 exams from M******* and did those over mid term.

As for percentiles, they were very up and down for the first few months, but then from Christmas onwards they were fairly consistently in the mid to high 90s. To be honest though I wouldn't pay too much attention to M******* percentiles ... It's nice that they give you an idea of how your doing in comparison with everyone else but they're not really accurate (you're only being compared to other M******* people and they mightn't be taking the test under exam conditions) and in the end all that really matters is how you perform on the day!

Best of luck with your HPAT prep! Just get started as early as possible and try to keep it up consistently until February, even if it gets difficult with the 6th year work load!

Thanks so much it's great to get advice from someone who has been through it!
    Also when you were practicing drills, exam questions etc. did you stick to specific time limits? Or did you try and figure out how to answer certain questions first and then try to work in time limits at a later stage?

I don't find questions that bad really if I sit down and take my time but the timing in HPAT exams is what makes it really hard of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

I don't find questions that bad really if I sit down and take my time but the timing in HPAT exams is what makes it really hard of course.

I'd recommend sticking to the time limit when practicing but going through all the questions you got wrong or guessed afterwards to see how the question worked and you will find them getting easier as you do more exams

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I always stuck to the time for the practice exams. It's important to go through the answers afterwards, even if you got them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

What do any med students use for note taking and whatnot? I had reams of notes for the lc so I'm used to the traditional pen and paper method but is it easier to use a laptop with all the powerpoints and documents etc? Do we get assignments to hand in....are they written or electronic? And what other bits and pieces are necessary for college? I know its a stupid question but I might as well be prepared for day 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Theboybang wrote:
    What do any med students use for note taking and whatnot? I had reams of notes for the lc so I'm used to the traditional pen and paper method but is it easier to use a laptop with all the powerpoints and documents etc? Do we get assignments to hand in....are they written or electronic? And what other bits and pieces are necessary for college? I know its a stupid question but I might as well be prepared for day 1!

So personally for notes during lectures I usually just add notes to the PDF on my laptop as the lecture goes on, but in hindsight I would recommend taking biochem notes by hand. I would also say go back over lectures and make your own notes, maybe with a textbook. In trinity we didn't get many assignments, there's only really a family case study and reflective diaries to be handed in in 1st year. If you've any other questions let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Theboybang wrote: »

I used to use my laptop to take notes but now I print the slides and write on them. I find I remember more that way and it forces me to concentrate. I also don't like looking at a screen all day so it suits me. Assignments were all online for me. If you decide to write your notes, buy a big folder for each module and stay organised from the beginning. You'll soon get into a good routine once you figure out what's best for you with regards to study etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesc2016

Anyone have any predictions on how the points might go this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FirstDraft1

jamesc2016 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions on how the points might go this year?
    I'd imagine they'll be near enough to last year's points, only a slight deviation either way I'm gonna say...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Apparently there's a decrease in applicants by 1-2%...

Maybe that means points will decrease by maybe 1 or 2?

Apparently there's a decrease in applicants by 1-2%...

Maybe that means points will decrease by maybe 1 or 2?
    I hope you're right! It's gonna be soo tight for me - I have such a bad feeling that points will rise for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

I hope you're right! It's gonna be soo tight for me - I have such a bad feeling that points will rise for some reason

There was a decrease in applicants of 1.1%, I really hope it makes a difference to the points!

There was a decrease in applicants of 1.1%, I really hope it makes a difference to the points!
    Where'd you get those stats from? Trinity's website is stating there was an 8% decrease in applications back in March

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Where'd you get those stats from? Trinity's website is stating there was an 8% decrease in applications back in March

The cao release statistics in March (this is the link: http://www2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/appstats01feb2016.pdf ). Maybe that figure is only relating to trinity whereas the cao one includes the entire country?

Last year entry was 726 (not all at 726 were accepted) in Cork, I have 730, realllly hoping I get a place, so excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Where do you get the individual courses' statistics??

Anyone know where I can get the NUIG medicine one?

Yeah there's been a decrease in applicants and less people got over 165 in this years HPAT according to the graphs released by ACER

• Advertisement

Where do you get the individual courses' statistics??

Anyone know where I can get the NUIG medicine one?

Yeah there's been a decrease in applicants and less people got over 165 in this years HPAT according to the graphs released by ACER

I don't think they're available. Surely it's impossible for points to go up after the decrease in demand unless there has been an overall reduction in places???

Advertisement