Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Medhopeful123

Am I sensing a trend with our names? And you definitely have a chance, I have to get 575 in the leaving just to scrape Galway. If you think the leaving went well at all you're probably sorted.

Haha probably ! Thanks I'm just really not sure if it's a good result!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

*cough* great minds think alike :pac:

Let's hope they're 'great' enough to get us in September!:D

I'm already in ucd, will i see you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SeanG999

Am I sensing a trend with our names? And you definitely have a chance, I have to get 575 in the leaving just to scrape Galway. If you think the leaving went well at all you're probably sorted.

You know every 5 points after 550 is only worth 1 point for medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 9 taro

the hpat candidate assessment for our year is up now, but I can't link to it as I'm a new user.

Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

The hPat 2016 Results have been posted.

My student got

90th percentile

What does this mean in terms of possibly getting in?

Last year, the following points were needed to get into Medicine:

Galway 723
    Cork 726
    RCSI 729
    UCD 736

So what would "Joseph Bloggs" need to achieve by way of Leaving Cert Points to have any hope of getting in?

Lets try 550 points:

LCP 550
    Maths Bonus 25
    Total 575
    Adjust 555 (divide excess over 550 by 5 and add back to 550)
    HPat 181
    Grand Total 736

Something to consider further.

ThehPatroniser

• Advertisement

Anyone wanna console me? So turns out i only need 550 to get Galway after my hpat but for some reason it hadnt been included on my original form. I only had the other medicine courses down and now i dont think i can enter galway despite the fact that im sure id get the points....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

MCash123 wrote:
    Anyone wanna console me? So turns out i only need 550 to get Galway after my hpat but for some reason it hadnt been included on my original form. I only had the other medicine courses down and now i dont think i can enter galway despite the fact that im sure id get the points....

You can add different medicine colleges for change of mind as long as you had at least 1 on your original cao

• Registered Users Posts: 1 manutd1234

By any chance could points return to what they were in 2014 in ucc and nuig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

What courses are you guys putting down if the points don't go your way?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

I want to congratulate you all on your hpat results, I know some people are happier with their results then others but nevertheless,keep your heads up, it is all a learning curve!

I was just wondering could you all give me some advice on when you started studying for the hpat? Did you begin in the summer before 6th year/Halloween/Christmas etc. And how many hours a day/week did you dedicate to hpat study?

Thanks in advance 😎

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

181 = 90th percentile

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

I want to congratulate you all on your hpat results, I know some people are happier with their results then others but nevertheless,keep your heads up, it is all a learning curve!

I was just wondering could you all give me some advice on when you started studying for the hpat? Did you begin in the summer before 6th year/Halloween/Christmas etc. And how many hours a day/week did you dedicate to hpat study?

Thanks in advance 😎
    I started after Christmas and did an hour a week, I didn't do great I got the 80% but hopefully it'll be enough.
    I know some people start in September and treat it as an extra subject doing a bit every night but that seems a bit much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I started after Christmas and did an hour a week, I didn't do great I got the 80% but hopefully it'll be enough.
    I know some people start in September and treat it as an extra subject doing a bit every night but that seems a bit much for me.

You did better than 80% of people who sat the exam, that's more than great!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    You did better than 80% of people who sat the exam, that's more than great!! :rolleyes:

When you put it that way but unfortunately it probably won't be enough to get my a course

• Registered Users Posts: 33 alaandocs

What courses are you guys putting down if the points don't go your way?
    Pharmacy and general science in trinity. Doubt il get pharmacy though

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cob9

Thanks in advance 😎

i myself am in the same boat as you. i have began my study for it a couple of weeks ago spending whatever spare time i get on it and on the other subjects for the leaving cert. but with my main focus on the hpat prep.

i did a few of the careers services practice q's and exams provided to me by my guidance councellor in fifth year. although they are easier than the actual hpat. i found them quite helpful on understanding what type of questions are involved in each section.

hope that helped 😁 ......and congrats or commiserations to all those who recieved there results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Whitestrand97

Thanks in advance 😎

Well I wouldn't be the most naturally clever but would be book smart so I started Hpat study at Halloween with m*dentry and did an hour a night for 4 days during the week and a practise exam on Saturday and 2 hours Sunday doing drills and going over solutions! Now this may seem slightly excessive but I got 80th percentile which I was delighted with and 590 in my mocks so hopefully if I keep those points, fingers crossed, I'll get a place in Galway which is my first choice.. I know some people start during summer but it's very easy to find yourself in a learning slump and your percentiles start to decrease! Hope this helps and best of luck next year (praying I won't be joining you)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ArmadaCharge

Anyone else do the HPAT but not picking medicine? I had been planning to study medicine since I started secondary school but within the last two months I've come to the realisation that I'd prefer to study computer science. Getting 190 in the HPAT made me feel even more conflicted about the decision but now hopefully someone with more of a passion for medicine will take my place (if I would of got one that is). Best of luck in getting a place everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burgerking19

For anyone who's bordering last years med points, if the acer hpat statistic charts are accurate which I'm pretty sure they are as they give you numbers down to the one, then I think points might drop (only slightly) this year. Don't judge me but I counted the amount of people exactly who got over 165 in the last three years:

2016: 684
    2015: 752
    2014: 672

So going by this, points may be closer to 2014 levels, but then again the level of those points was probably also a result of people thinking they had no chance due to the drastic drop in overall hpat scores and removing med from their CAO. I know it's not much to go on but it might give some of you borders hope that ye may still be in with a chance of the course ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

What are we thinking UCD and trinity will be? I have 734 so am hoping that should be enough for trinity which is my 1st choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Anyone else do the HPAT but not picking medicine? I had been planning to study medicine since I started secondary school but within the last two months I've come to the realisation that I'd prefer to study computer science. Getting 190 in the HPAT made me feel even more conflicted about the decision but now hopefully someone with more of a passion for medicine will take my place (if I would of got one that is). Best of luck in getting a place everyone.

Same here :) I've decided engineering is more for me since I like maths and the lifestyle of a doctor just doesn't suit me... I want to innovate and perhaps maybe go into finance maybe. Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FirstDraft1

Thrilled with my result :D I know a lot of people won't be and that's natural, so I feel for them. Congratulations to all who feel they're also basically in the door, and best of luck to those who think it'll be a close call. Have a good summer guys.

Anyone looking for future advice and wishes to contact me then PM me and I'll be glad to offer my opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Hi guys, I am a current med student in TCD, did the HPAT back in 2013. I have a few days on my hands where I am pretty much lounging. So if anyone has any questions, regarding anything: HPAT, course in general, pros and cons of different colleges, Etc. feel free to either post your questions here, or else PM me instead if you would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am a current med student in TCD, did the HPAT back in 2013. I have a few days on my hands where I am pretty much lounging. So if anyone has any questions, regarding anything: HPAT, course in general, pros and cons of different colleges, Etc. feel free to either post your questions here, or else PM me instead if you would prefer.

Being a med student, do you have any time to travel/J1?

I've my heart set on becoming a doctor but at the same time I want to travel as well.

retweet wrote: »
    Being a med student, do you have any time to travel/J1?

I've my heart set on becoming a doctor but at the same time I want to travel as well.

Yeah absolutely. Especially in the first two, arguably three years. Once you hit the clinical years, your time is a bit stretched but still should be able to get away.

You can do a J1 usually in the summer of 1st or 2nd year. And then there is the possibility of doing electives abroad (which I wont get into, but basically I don't really agree with the whole, inexperienced medical students going to Africa thing, but thats just me)

I also, go away sometime during the winter, just because I get a serious dose of seasonal affective disorder, when I don't see the sun from November till February haha

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

There is definitely time to travel and do J1s, especially in the younger years. As you progress your summer does get shorter but you can still do electives abroad in hospitals and travel then, as F.Grimes said. They can be anywhere really and can be a good time to learn more and travel at the same time.

A question which Taro asked me in PM, and kindly agreed for me to post the response here.

Originally Posted by taro
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering how the time breakdown is through the years, like how much time is spent in college/studying/placements, and do you end up with time to go out at night and stuff?
    Thanks for your help,
    ~Taro

Hey Taro!

Ok so time breakdown. Just as a pretext I'm in TCD so all my information will mainly deal with TCD.

In first year, you have so much time. (obviously not in comparison to arts, but generally loads of time.) You'll have roughly 9-5 lectures, which sounds bad, but once you get used to it its fine, and then as the years go on you'll dream of going back to this system. You'll have plenty of chances to go out pretty much as often as you wont, and then just focus down once exams come around.

2nd year will be pretty much the same, but you'll have one day a week doing clinical skills in Taillight or St.James'sthing really too stressful. Again will definitely be able to go out at least once a week, no problem.

3rd, This is when placements start in earnest. You basically have 7 blocks of placements, which can be for 4 weeks or two weeks each. So you could be attached to Cardiology in SJH for 4 weeks, or Cardiothoracic surgery and vascular surgery for two weeks each. throughout placement you have a dedicated lecture day, which is Thursday, so you only attend lectures on this day, and not placement. This is widely considered to be the hardest year, and is one were you're time will really be stretched. You have some pretty monstrous modules, which need to be undertaking alongside, attending placements, which usually means attending rounds at 7am ish for surg, or around 8 for medicine, going to clinic after clinic, after clinic, after clinic..seeing patients, taking histories, doing examinations, doing the odd procedure here and there.

4th year, you have 4 placements, which are GP, Obs/gyne, psych, and paeds. Each one lasts for 8 weeks each and you do exams after each rotation.

Its really from here on in you have to be putting the head, you can still go out and all, but like you'll know yourself how much is enough.

Final med is obviously a little more panicked as you can really feel the pressure. However, I'm not in final med, so I can really comment.

F.Grimes Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

I am curious as to the drop out rate in first or even second med. From people who go into medicine but realise they dont like it?

Background: my son did very well on hpat and hopefully will get the points for medicine. However, now its crunch time and he is having doubts as to whether it is for him. Problem is, he doesn't really have an alternative in mind.

Any thoughts at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

I am curious as to the drop out rate in first or even second med. From people who go into medicine but realise they dont like it?
    Are there any stats for drop out rates in Med. I had thought drop out rate for med students was lowest of any 3rd level courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭15MrC

From 2010:

http://www.thejournal.ie/college-drop-out-rates-revealed-40207-Oct2010/
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The courses with the fewest number drop outs were law at 3 per cent, and medicine at only 2 per cent.[/font]

Advertisement