Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

F.Grimes Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

I am curious as to the drop out rate in first or even second med. From people who go into medicine but realise they dont like it?

Background: my son did very well on hpat and hopefully will get the points for medicine. However, now its crunch time and he is having doubts as to whether it is for him. Problem is, he doesn't really have an alternative in mind.

Any thoughts at all?

Not a problem at all! Happy to do it, throw as many questions at me if, you want.

with regards drop outs. I think its fair to say its pretty low. In first year I think around 3-4 people drop out. In subsequent years, this has been lower, if not non-existent.

What does happen quite frequently, is that people who fail a year, repeat in the year below. Roughly three-four people are in this situation per year.

As always I am speaking for in the TCD context, which currently is running years of around 190 people. (Although a year has just been formed that has 204 people on the class list!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 taro

F. Grimes, What's the story with Garda Vetting and Vaccination Requirements? do we need to sort them out ourselves before hand, or will the college look after it? thanks

taro wrote: »
    F. Grimes, What's the story with Garda Vetting and Vaccination Requirements? do we need to sort them out ourselves before hand, or will the college look after it? thanks

From what I can remember, its all pretty straight forward. They tell you which form you need to send in for the Gardai vetting. And as for vaccinations, don't get them yourself. Get the ones that the college provides (at a cost). People will say that its cheaper to get your GP to give them to you, which it might be, but its so much easier just to do them with everyone else. You have to get three done, throughout 1st year. Which would mean trekking to the GP each time. And then you might need more, depending on your response, so its easier just to let TCD deal with it, instead of acting as a middle man/woman between the GP, and TCD.

Once you get offered a place, the Garda vetting will be explained pretty well and its really with a form that gets sent off. No big deal.

Thanks to CH1123581321 for allowing me to post this PM response in the thread. .

Originally Posted by CH1123581321
    Hello,
    I was wondering could you give me some advice regarding the hpat and getting into medicine?

When did you start studying and how many hours a day/week did you dedicate to the hpat?

what is the best way to study for the hpat in general, like just go over the practice exam papers?

And of course,the big question, Ucd or tcd? 

Thanks in advance,
    CH1123581321.

Response

Just to answer your questions first.

Regarding the HPAT and getting into medicine. The main thing I would tell you, is if you are really serious about medicine, you have to be willing to repeat if necessary. The vast majority of the people in my year, repeated either the HPAT or the Leaving (I think this has now changed am I correct? and you need to do them both in the same year?) I repeated both the HPAT and the Leaving.

Things I did for the HPAT where, doing all the courses, material, practice exams etc. But you really need to go over the solutions, particularly in section 3. In section 2, I started a little spread sheet which I would copy and paste every word that was used in the stems that could be important to fully understand during the test. I think loads of people focus on learning big words, but this isn't the issue. its the small differences between similar words thats important. Like angry and furious just as an example, I had the dictionary definition of words that you of course already know, but just so you can understand the differences between the two of them.

Thats all I did for the HPAT, however, I did a mock exam every week, not under exam conditions, because thats a stupid idea. There is know point in racing through a mock test, in the correct time. Take your time and go through it slowly until you understand the question and the reasons for the answers. Then correct it, and go over every question you got wrong. Then add your words to the dictionary. So each exam would take about 4-5 hours to do fully. Obviously taking breaks throughout.

Little side note, I can remember in the week coming up to the HPAT, I was having dreams that is was doing section 3 questions, what comes next in the sequence question, and going through 45 degrees, 90 degree, 135 degrees etc.... a little weird!!

Ok and a few more generally tips for HPAT that I don't think many people give you, but I found really helpful.

This might not be possible based on where you live but anyway...On the morning of the HPAT you will be a little nervous and apprehensive. I found that a good way to help this, was to literally walk up to the test centre the day before. At the time you would be going the next day. Mine was in RCSI, and I walked across Stephens green, into RCSI, and right up to the reception. Then turned around and walked home. I think I did this two or three times that day. Then when you are going up the next morning, you know where you are going, you've been the the building before! its just one less unknown thing that will help you relax on the day.

As for the Big Question!!!

Full disclosure I'm in TCD

However, I think if I was to do it all again, I would go to UCD.
    TCD's organisation is just shocking. UCD seems more organised they have nicer hospitals and they have less contact time. For example, we went back this year, half way through august, and finished up second week in June. While the equivalent year in UCD, went back in sept and finished in May!! seems like a small thing but that last month was a literal killer. Like people getting therapy sessions to deal with the stress of it!

Feel free to ask me anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Thanks to CH1123581321 for allowing me to post this PM response in the thread. .

Originally Posted by CH1123581321
    Hello,
    I was wondering could you give me some advice regarding the hpat and getting into medicine?

When did you start studying and how many hours a day/week did you dedicate to the hpat?

what is the best way to study for the hpat in general, like just go over the practice exam papers?

And of course,the big question, Ucd or tcd?

Thanks in advance,
    CH1123581321.

Response

TCD's organisation is just shocking. UCD seems more organised they have nicer hospitals and they have less contact time. For example, we went back this year, half way through august, and finished up second week in June. While the equivalent year in UCD, went back in sept and finished in May!! seems like a small thing but that last month was a literal killer. Like people getting therapy sessions to deal with the stress of it!

I'm in UCD and interestingly I've heard the stress aspect mentioned a lot by friends in trinity. Especially in first year you seemed to really be thrown in at the deep end compared to UCD's "premed". Food for thought if people are torn between the two

• Advertisement

I'm in UCD and interestingly I've heard the stress aspect mentioned a lot by friends in trinity. Especially in first year you seemed to really be thrown in at the deep end compared to UCD's "premed". Food for thought if people are torn between the two

Totally agree. In general I seem to get the impression that UCD meds are a lot more relaxed and less totally stressed out than TCD

Food for thought indeed

F.Grimes wrote:
    Ammmmm.....just again with the hpat prep. Is it recommendable to treat the hpat like an extra subject because I've heard mixed reports from some people, some say you definitely would have to give it equal time as you would your other subjects throughout sixth year but I've heard other people saying that's ridiculous to do since it's worth less then your LC ��

Oh definitely, treat HPAT like a subject. It is far more important to do well in the HPAT rather than the LC. When I repeated my LC, I went up by 15 points, which amounted to 3 points in the end! While my HPAT improved by 31 points!

As I said, its not just about, doing the material, and getting it out of the way. Its about taking your time, understanding the principle of why its the right answer, and the logical steps that you need to take to get to the right answer.

As a side, pay ZERO attention to those marks you get, when you are doing practice tests! They are worthless. If you are getting zero in everyone, but learning why you are wrong, it is far more beneficial than getting 99th percentile and not learning from the tests.

I did ME, and I think there were 12 tests available when I did it. You'd be amazed how many people didn't do all twelve! DO the tests, and all the practice material you can. Its important to divide this up, just as you would any other subject that had material to cover!
    Also do you know around when trinity would be having their open day for the coming year?

No idea, google would be the best help there!
    Do you have any knowledge regarding the other colleges that do medicine, like RCSI,UCC or NUIG? If I was lucky enough to get the points I would probably have them ranked in preference as: 1.Ucd 2.TCD 3.UCC 4.RCSI 5.NUIG (Although I'm not sure whether I'd put TCD before UCD or not, my heart says UCD but my head says Trinity �� And as for the remaining 3 I think they all rank pretty much the same, I don't have much of an opinion on them )

Yeah looking at your list! I would say that its the one I would go for. Do you live in Dublin? UCD would be the one I'd put down as no. 1 if I did it again. I would avoid RCSI, but TCD, UCD, UCC and NUIG, are all great colleges. And the choice I think is really down to which one is closer. Pay attention to hospitals, because you'll be travelling to them at 6-7:00am so a 15 minute commute will be far more enjoyable than a hour long trek on the luas out to tallahgt and back into town again.

Thanks again, if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to contact you ������

Hope this helps
    (I will post this in the thread if you don't mind?)[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Hi guys, I am a current med student in TCD, did the HPAT back in 2013. I have a few days on my hands where I am pretty much lounging. So if anyone has any questions, regarding anything: HPAT, course in general, pros and cons of different colleges, Etc. feel free to either post your questions here, or else PM me instead if you would prefer.

What are the Erasmus opportunities in TCD medicine like?

pvakelly wrote: »
    What are the Erasmus opportunities in TCD medicine like?

Pretty limited, from what I can gather. Due to the specificity of the course material. and how hard it is to align two courses in two different institutions.

In TCD, there is one program with a french college. I think about 5-6 french students came over in 3rd year. Actually don't know how many people went to France, don't know of anyone who actually partook of the opportunity.

Maybe people from other Colleges could help out on this one and find out what it was like for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Pretty limited, from what I can gather. Due to the specificity of the course material. and how hard it is to align two courses in two different institutions.

In TCD, there is one program with a french college. I think about 5-6 french students came over in 3rd year. Actually don't know how many people went to France, don't know of anyone who actually partook of the opportunity.

Maybe people from other Colleges could help out on this one and find out what it was like for them!

Thanks, I figured as much! What about the intercalated masters that I've read about? Do many avail of it? Have to say that it sounds pretty interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I personally know of a few TCD and RCSI students and a majority of them have had serious reservations over their respective college. Organisation like you said always seems to arise along with the way First Med is structured for TCD students. I can't comment myself as I'm in a different Medical school but general consensus is that while it obviously is a great college all round, TCD isn't what it is cracked up to be at all.

Never heard anything negative from UCD but Ive only ever heard of bad stories coming from RCSI. Then again it depends on your priorities and what you want from college.

Thanks, I figured as much! What about the intercalated masters that I've read about? Do many avail of it? Have to say that it sounds pretty interesting.

Ive heard very few go onto do it, in and around 10 a year. Apparently you have to get really good grades to be allowed do it. Similar numbers to the amounts that get offered to do the embedded Ph.D option in NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wyoml

Disappointed to say the least that my hpat score will be holding me back this year. Considering taking a year out to repeat the Hpat. If anything this has taught me medicine is what i really do want. Any advice?

wyoml wrote: »
    Disappointed to say the least that my hpat score will be holding me back this year. Considering taking a year out to repeat the Hpat. If anything this has taught me medicine is what i really do want. Any advice?

Hate to be Cpt. Obvious here but did you not look at the previous page at what F.Grimes posted..? Fantastic advice to any repeater out there.

whats the issue with RCSI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Why do you guys want to be doctors? It always seemed like an inordinate amount of training/work for a modest reward. I think I got somewhere in the 600pts region and I don't doubt I'm smart enough to be a doctor, I just can't imagine being so hard-working day in day out for the next fifty or so years. Are you guys interested in any other careers?

whats the issue with RCSI?

Virtually no social scene in the college itself. Virtually no Irish students. Very shoddy admissions office/policy. My Mam's friend is a Head Nurse in Beaumont(RCSIs Hospital) and had very little praise to give for the standard of RCSI student they receive on average. Let me put it this way, said Head nurse warned me to go elsewhere.

Also this is a thread from just last year I'll leave you all to make your own mind up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97640763

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Virtually no social scene in the college itself. Virtually no Irish students. Very shoddy admissions office/policy. My Mam's friend is a Head Nurse in Beaumont(RCSIs Hospital) and had very little praise to give for the standard of RCSI student they receive on average. Let me put it this way, said Head nurse warned me to go elsewhere.

Also this is a thread from just last year I'll leave you all to make your own mind up.

hrm, maybe a last minute CAO change is in order

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lcstudent1234

Literally put nuig ahead of rcsi before coming on here and great to be reassured... stressed over this. Galway social scene is srs xx anyone have any feelings if points will go up or down? Or is every just hopeful they'll go down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

I wish I'd seen all this RCSI feedback before this. Have it in after UCD. For those of us in the Dublin area the thought of the wilds of Cork and Galway is too much to bear.

RCSI has a good reputation in the Medical community generally. One doctor told me that the graduates were every bit as accomplished as UCD or Trinners.

• Advertisement

I wish I'd seen all this RCSI feedback before this. Have it in after UCD. For those of us in the Dublin area the thought of the wilds of Cork and Galway is too much to bear.

RCSI has a good reputation in the Medical community generally. One doctor told me that the graduates were every bit as accomplished as UCD or Trinners.

You have a post from 2009 saying you got an offer from UCD Med? Shouldn't you be an intern by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

You have a post from 2009 saying you got an offer from UCD Med? Shouldn't you be an intern by now?

Forget medicine, you should be a detective

Forget medicine, you should be a detective

With a cringey username like that I had to have a quick gander of their 22 posts :pac:

I am the mentor of many students.

My 2009 student entered UCD and spent 5 happy years there. He Doctor now!
    He's doing a year in Oz and is loving it.

My current student got 181 hPat and 90th percentile but found it difficult to motivate himself for the Leaving...or rather, DURING the Leaving...and hopes he might get 550 plus the maths 25 bonus which would be 575 reduced to 555. Add 181 and he gets 736

He has UCD first choice and RCSI second Cork third and Galway fourth, but never heard a bad word about RCSI...

Should I phone him and tell him to exercise his change of choice with CAO?

hPat

• Registered Users Posts: 20 joe....

I am the mentor of many students.

My 2009 student entered UCD and spent 5 happy years there. He Doctor now!
    He's doing a year in Oz and is loving it.

My current student got 181 hPat and 90th percentile but found it difficult to motivate himself for the Leaving...or rather, DURING the Leaving...and hopes he might get 550 plus the maths 25 bonus which would be 575 reduced to 555. Add 181 and he gets 736

He has UCD first choice and RCSI second Cork third and Galway fourth, but never heard a bad word about RCSI...

Should I phone him and tell him to exercise his change of choice with CAO?

hPat

What are his reasons for putting Trinity last?

Didn't put Trinity down at all because he does not have the required subjects to meet their entry requirements...

I think he has a fair chance at Galway or Cork but could end up being offered RCSI. His big worry was that RCSI would be outside the normal "free" fees scheme HEA etc but apparently not....

hrm, maybe a last minute CAO change is in order

I would suggest it! I have also heard that the standard of student produced in RCSI is noticeably lower than other colleges. However, its also true that in the first intern year pretty much everyone levels out, so its not really a massive deal. But still I would prefer not to have that kind of expectation over my head, when I'm already SH1T!ng the proverbial brick!!!

I mean their fine! Some of my friends went to RCSI! Ill just put it as simply as I can! I am glad I didnt go to RCSI, and pretty much everyone I've talked to is glad they also didnt go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm in UCD currently. The first thought on anybody's mind when choosing a college should be ease of access to the placement hospitals. Choose the college with the hospitals that are easier for you to get to because it'll make all the difference when you've 7am starts in clinical years. Tallaght & James' are associated with Trinity, Vincents & the Mater with UCD and Beaumont & Connolly with RCSI

Yeah, I've actually applied to do it!

So basically, its a year out at the end of 3rd year...Which will feel honestly like a water in the desert!

There are a few different streams. Molecular medicine, Neuroscience, Translational oncology, immunology, etc, etc, Just check the TCD website for the full list and a bit more info.

Usually Schols do the MSc, because they get it for free. Which meant a huge number did it last year. this year, I suspect maybe in the region of 10-12 students will do it!

If I get a spot I can fill you in a little more, or if you have any specific questions fire away.
    I personally know of a few TCD and RCSI students and a majority of them have had serious reservations over their respective college. Organisation like you said always seems to arise along with the way First Med is structured for TCD students. I can't comment myself as I'm in a different Medical school but general consensus is that while it obviously is a great college all round, TCD isn't what it is cracked up to be at all.

Never heard anything negative from UCD but Ive only ever heard of bad stories coming from RCSI. Then again it depends on your priorities and what you want from college.

Completely agree with this! UCD seems far and away to be the best Dublin based medical school

This is getting interesting!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm in UCD currently. The first thought on anybody's mind when choosing a college should be ease of access to the placement hospitals. Choose the college with the hospitals that are easier for you to get to because it'll make all the difference when you've 7am starts in clinical years. Tallaght & James' are associated with Trinity, Vincents & the Mater with UCD and Beaumont & Connolly with RCSI

This is exactly my thoughts! and something I wish I had been told when making my CAO choice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Trinners will always have Paul Tierney tho :heart:

Advertisement