Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

really love the materia and weapons system. Been so long since I played 13 or 15 that I cant remember how it compares to that, but its such a massive improvement over the original 7. the ability to bring up all your party on screen at once to swap material between is so handy.

I'm 17 hours in, on chapter 8. Still loving it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

really love the materia and weapons system. Been so long since I played 13 or 15 that I cant remember how it compares to that, but its such a massive improvement over the original 7. the ability to bring up all your party on screen at once to swap material between is so handy.

I'm 17 hours in, on chapter 8. Still loving it so far

Been ages since I played 13 too but I've been playing 15 for the first time over the past few weeks. 7 remake's battle system seems far superior to 15's so far. I'm only an hour or 2 in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

There a list of missables? Not a fan of replaying long games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

BeerWolf wrote: »
    There a list of missables? Not a fan of replaying long games.

You can replay chapters after you've finished the game to collect anything you missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Caved and picked up a digital copy - need something on a TV rather than a PC so this’ll do :pac:

Only played through the demo stuff again, but having gone with the Japanese voices after finding the English acting insufferable in the demo that at least is an improvement :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't forget to set shortcuts by going into pause menu, battle settings, choose character and changing around the shortcuts. Having braver, cure, fire and thunder at a quick L1 & button makes the combat even better. Setting shortcuts for each character with different items is a game changer. Very rarely have to press x to pause the battle anymore.

I'd rather pause the battle tbh.
    Give's the fights breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Preorder didn't preload ;_;

Going in to work doesn't seem so bad now, will all be downloaded and copied/installed by the time I get home.

English acting is great. It captures the feel of each character respectfully to the source material and original design.
    If you are expecting A-List level performances then I don't think you understand the design of the original characters.

Cloud and Barrett (Over the top as per 1997) characters in particular shine.

The acting is part of its goofy charm, think it fits really well when on the other hand the Japanese VA's are way more suited when playing Yakuza. Really liking the English VA's in this. I like to think that when wedge (played by Badger from Breaking Bad) said "S'all Good Bro", it was a little nod to Saul Goodman, might be reaching though :)

Roche is a ****ing mad man and i love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I cracked and ended up getting it last night and was good to go at midnight.

To get the negative out of the way, I'm not a fan of the combat, it seems a bit too frantic.

But the graphics, the music, the voice acting, and the story. God ****ing damn.

And
    He show's up so early, and he's so well done. It really adds that special level of fear to an already amazing character.

Press X if it's too frantic

I know it sounds simplistic but once you start getting a hang of the system this gives you a breather and allows you to plan standard and special attacks and also line up special attacks from multiple party members

The initial impression might be that you mash the square button but this is not the case and the further you get into the game this becomes easier to get the hang of

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Acting can be very subjective. Some people think Nick Cage is a bit OTT.

Against my better judgement bought it this morning. It'll give me something to do when I tire of screaming at people in Warzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I cracked and ended up getting it last night and was good to go at midnight.

To get the negative out of the way, I'm not a fan of the combat, it seems a bit too frantic.

But the graphics, the music, the voice acting, and the story. God ****ing damn.

And
    He show's up so early, and he's so well done. It really adds that special level of fear to an already amazing character.

Did you play the demo? I found the combat pretty frantic when playing that but now I have more of an understanding of it in the main game it feels a lot better. I think it's my favourite battle system since the series stopped being turn based.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Postie has been and gone. No game for me

EDIT: Scratch that, just been delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

my favourite gamr of all time is probably MW2. I can't describe how much I was looking forward to Black Ops1, which I ordered online. It never came. Sometimes I wonder how I survived.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Acting can be very subjective. Some people think Nick Cage is a bit OTT.

I'd like to see someone argue that he isn't OTT

Highly recommend doing Chadley's first challenge (assess two enemy types) to get the auto cure materia, very handy in tough fights. Just in case anyone was skipping side stuff. Also to check the battle Intel report in the pause menu to see what challenges you can complete to unlock more materia.

Just started chapter 6 last night, about 7 hours in. I've had a big stupid grin on my face since first starting it.

Some handy tips here:
    https://www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-7-remake/Tips_-_18_Things_It_Doesn't_Tell_You

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My deluxe copy finally arrived, I would of been very close to going digitally with the game last night if I had not had Persona Royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so cant wait to start this this evening :) is it living up to expectation? is the nostalgia real :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

so cant wait to start this this evening :) is it living up to expectation? is the nostalgia real :)

It's better than nostalgia.

Bang of nostalgia. 7 hours in and i still move the camera around in awe that I'm controlling a great looking Cloud around a great looking Midgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I've played maybe 3 hours of this. I actively disliked the combat at first (in the demo) but it's starting to click with me and feel more reminiscent of the old game now that I've got over some of the learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

right my hype has been low but i am on full hype train now, FFVII was the first proper game i ever played :) hopefully this is a sign of square coming back to form with their FF's (one can hope )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Me last night: "I might actually not buy it day 1, got loads of games to play atm like Nioh 2, Doom and Devil May Cry among others. In fact i might even wait for the PC release!"

Last night me is a naive fool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The dialogue is pretty bad so far!

But it was the same in the original, so I’m not that worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

No day one patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

No day one patch?

Nope started up straight after disc install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

No day one patch?

I'm wondering if it's as bad as a few here said....I doubt it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

FFVII wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's as bad as a few here said....I doubt it....

it's not a massive issue. just surprising to see some textures low quality at times compared to others. doesn't happen too often for me anyway

Advertisement