Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just had the mission with Jesse where
    you fight the other solider guy, Roche I think, bloody awesome
    was he in the original I can't remember, also how far along I am in the game, all the nostalgia is making me not wanting it to end knowing the wait for part 2 will probably be horrible.

If you do everything and search every nook and cranny, you've at least another 20/25 odd hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

FF7 defo left a impact on my young mind back in the day. And it was always a cosy game I could slip back into over the years to get some of those warm fuzzy feelings again. Having the remake in the middle of all this crazy real world stuff is perfect timing.

Did the first 2 chapters and its on point so far. Barrett is great. Jessie is THIRSTY. And the music. OH MY THE MUSIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Any consequence for choosing 30 minutes over 30?

This was seriously concerning me. I was going to rerun but all you get is an ether and two hi potions............. feck I'm going to rerun it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This is really a nostalgic trip back to the past. I never played the original, but it makes my PlayStation sound like an airplane.... What I'd do for a holiday now.

I am still figuring out the combat, the first boss is tricky but enjoyable but had to stop after that as the game was not fully loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

this is brilliant. Music is amazing. I'm totally in love with Tifa which hasn't come as a great surprise. Mako is pronounced Mocko not Mayco? Mind. Blown. Tomayco tomocko.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,612 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Almost at the end of reactor 5, looks like it's gonna be a big fight. Tifa and Jessie stealing the show so far. Biggs and Wedge are both brilliant as well and they nailed Barret. His little bit of singing and humming is just class.

Was it Reactor 5 that people said took too long to get to and was padded out? I really enjoyed it, some tough fights, some interesting materia found. I like the speed of the running as well, feels nice and fast to get around.

Also, i love the little scenes that are lifted straight from the original like the sliding down the pipe. Huge smile watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Good to see I'm not the only creep fancying the arse off Tifa :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few thoughts so far:

Most surprisingly, I’m liking the combat a lot more! Fully confess I was very cynical about it, but after the first chapter I’m beginning to look forward to the fights. Still think it’s probably flashier and busier than necessary, but I am enjoying the flow of it at the same time :)

They’ve done right by Cloud for sure. Definitely a more compelling character than the dour Advent Children version. Side characters all mostly likeable and well handled too. That said,
    Sephiroth’s
    appearances thus far have alas leaned into the more tedious, dour and over-egged side of FF7 but particularly its various follow-ups like AC.

Some of the ‘interactive’ story stuff is fairly painful: kinda sub-Uncharted walking down corridors and chatting to characters. Just doesn’t feel good to play at all tbh, and while the presentation is often nice it all feels rather clunky. Better when they just chat away to themselves in traditional cutscenes - nice little optional (tastefully thirsty, Tifa’s outfit aside :pac:) chat between Tifa and Cloud handles storytelling much better.

Sub-quest design is bog standard but finding myself motivated by the promise of a decent fight at the end of some of them.

It’s definitely ‘padded’ - as in things taking longer than they have any good need to, and without much benefit.

Texture stuff aside it mostly looks good, especially looking skyward in the slums. I do like the soundtrack reimagining mostly even with some bizarre stuff (‘hip hop de Chocobo’ :pac:).

Overall, I’m enjoying it. It has problems: some fundamental and some more niggling. It’s hardly the game of the year or anything like that, and the original has a certain magic this doesn’t come close to capturing. But it is a bold, thorough and interesting take on the material at the same time - flawed but solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'm appreciating the differences storywise so far. I don't know if I'd have the same involvement if it was beat for beat the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The Sephiroth flash backs are abit much. Slept for the first night in the slums and there have been close to 7 flashbacks thus far. They could have been way more subtle with it and it would add a flair of mystery about the flashbacks. Let us live and play in Midgar for a while Square, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭endainoz

Really enjoying it so far, though I do agree with the point about clunkyness said by a previous poster. It seems a little "stop start" in some parts too.

Combat is amazing and am really getting used to the strategies you need for stronger enemies. I did all the side quests at the start, doing them all at once certainly made it a bit tedious but I got through it.

I noticed a couple of texture issues but nothing to spoil the game or anything for me. I'm sure a patch will fix a few of the issues and improve the experience overall.

I'll be playing this till I finish it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. The real question is how I'll feel about it in a year's time or so. It'll be a big ask for it to even have some of the replayability of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I had a serious binge of this yesterday. Only started playing it at the midnight release and I'm already up to chapter 9, about 14 hours in. Don't want to mention anything too specific but some of the boss fights are absolutely incredible. The combat is just so, so fun.

I was worried about the story changes but so far the positives far outweigh the negatives. I'm sure my opinion is somewhat warped by nostalgia but so far this really is an excellent game.

Good to see I'm not the only creep fancying the arse off Tifa :pac:

I'm glad her knockers are still big. Not everything has to be 'real woman dont have big chests' feminists in games bla bla bla'

And Barret standing next to her with arms like tree trunks

Stayed true to the original design

The missus walked in and said "who's yer wan with the nice tits" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm glad her knockers are still big. Not everything has to be 'real woman dont have big chests' feminists in games bla bla bla'

And Barret standing next to her with arms like tree trunks

Stayed true to the original design

The missus walked in and said "who's yer wan with the nice tits" haha

Is there a scene with Tifa sitting on a couch and Barrett with his arms folded behind her? :pac:

Just finished chapter 7, about 8-9 hours in. The boss
    Airbuster
    was epic. The music, battle effects, pure hectic madness. Only a couple of downs but can see bosses like this being a pain in Hard mode.

Absolutely love the combat system, equally using all 3 characters (atb fills faster when you're controlling them), as fast paced as you want with the shortcuts to snails pace at a tap of the x. Ingenious battle system.

The last few fights, my Ifrit summon never appeared. Only options for either chocobo chic or chocobo & moogle. Must look up if there's a set way summons work or if they're random.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

Loving the game so far the only thing I would really like would be something the gambit system in FF12 to make it a little less hectic but then again the combat would maybe become a little too automated then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just starting chapter 5 and I find myself procrastinating irl as I don't want to finish the game :D loving it, so far Jessie Biggs and wedge are stealing the show for me, love that they have gone into much more depth would them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just starting chapter 5 and I find myself procrastinating irl as I don't want to finish the game :D loving it, so far Jessie Biggs and wedge are stealing the show for me, love that they have gone into much more depth would them

Jessie is fcking adorable in this game
    The Sephiroth flash backs are abit much. Slept for the first night in the slums and there have been close to 7 flashbacks thus far. They could have been way more subtle with it and it would add a flair of mystery about the flashbacks. Let us live and play in Midgar for a while Square, please.

I'd say for those who are only jumping in now, the flashbacks are kinda fine. Like if it was me I'd be screaming "WHO TF IS THAT GUY?!" keeping my attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really want to hear opinions on the ending. People going to either love it or hate it. Kind of think it's a good idea myself just... Handled badly

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Airbuster
    was epic. The music, battle effects, pure hectic madness. Only a couple of downs but can see bosses like this being a pain in Hard mode.

Absolutely love the combat system, equally using all 3 characters (atb fills faster when you're controlling them), as fast paced as you want with the shortcuts to snails pace at a tap of the x. Ingenious battle system.

The last few fights, my Ifrit summon never appeared. Only options for either chocobo chic or chocobo & moogle. Must look up if there's a set way summons work or if they're random.

I've just started chapter 8. If memory serves me correctly, this is where I will finally get to
    control Aerith
    << the spoiler on that tag is probably arguable, but I covered it just in case.

I kinda hate when games have a chapter system, if I'm honest. It makes me think of it as some sort of countdown to the end of the game (or count"up" in this case)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really want to hear opinions on the ending. People going to either love it or hate it. Kind of think it's a good idea myself just... Handled badly

I'm anticipating this tbh. There's already a lot of things after happening on my playthrough that's making me scratch my head thinking it's either new, or I have a bad memory. I have no idea where this story is gonna go. This seems to be almost a retelling of the story.

• Advertisement

I was most looking forward to using Tifa as her martial arts look class in a battle but I'm finding she's too frail and doesn't do enough damage, kinda looking forward to Aeris (she'll always be Aeris to me) being a healer to clouds close range and Barrett's long range. I need to practice Tifa's abilities more though to get the most out of her stagger ability. Cloud's braver does unreal damage when they're staggered.

Anyone have any go to combat moves they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I like it anyway just finished it now. Back to re3 before I start this again and mop up the throphies. Enough difference to the orginal to keep you guessing.

I was most looking forward to using Tifa as her martial arts look class in a battle but I'm finding she's too frail and doesn't do enough damage, kinda looking forward to Aeris (she'll always be Aeris to me) being a healer to clouds close range and Barrett's long range. I need to practice Tifa's abilities more though to get the most out of her stagger ability. Cloud's braver does unreal damage when they're staggered.

The translation of that name is fascinating. In Japan they don't utilise the "th" sound so they pronounce it as "Aeris" (say "Ae-ris-u"). And in English-speaking territories, we say Aerith, and is deliberate due to the fact she is connected to the planet, so it sounds like "Earth", yet we got the Japanese (basically correct) spelling on the original game (Aeris). I changed it to Aerith on my original copy because I thought the name looked cooler. Plus saying "Aeris" in a Scottish accent just sounds like "Arse" :pac:

I digress.

I'm not enjoying Tifa at all. She isn't doing jack-****e for me. All I use her for is healing and summons.

I'm also curious as to whether or not anyone has switched out Cloud's buster sword for anything else? I switched to the other sword for one fight, then switched it back. I much prefer the aesthetic of the buster sword. Plus it's HIS sword. It just looks weird to see him wield anything else.

It would be cool, though, if we got to use the Fusion Sword (from Advent Children)

latest?cb=20110218052652

Try changing to her other gloves, damage output way higher after a few upgrades

She does high damage and speed with these

Also combine her abilities like drop kick in the middle of a combo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    I like it anyway just finished it now. Back to re3 before I start this again and mop up the throphies. Enough difference to the orginal to keep you guessing.

I actually think it's interesting. Just.... Advent childrening it up was terrible.

I actually think it's interesting. Just.... Advent childrening it up was terrible.

Am I the only one who liked that movie :o:pac:

Although I liked the 3 CG Res Evil movies too (way better than the live action ****e)

Probably the fanboy talking

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Airbuster

Where did you pick up the chocobo chic & chocobo & Moogle Materia? I’ve done all side quests and generally took my time and never came across it. I’m just about to fight
    the Airbuster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The translation of that name is fascinating. In Japan they don't utilise the "th" sound so they pronounce it as "Aeris" (say "Ae-ris-u"). And in English-speaking territories, we say Aerith, and is deliberate due to the fact she is connected to the planet, so it sounds like "Earth", yet we got the Japanese (basically correct) spelling on the original game (Aeris). I changed it to Aerith on my original copy because I thought the name looked cooler. Plus saying "Aeris" in a Scottish accent just sounds like "Arse" :pac:

I digress.

I'm not enjoying Tifa at all. She isn't doing jack-****e for me. All I use her for is healing and summons.

I'm also curious as to whether or not anyone has switched out Cloud's buster sword for anything else? I switched to the other sword for one fight, then switched it back. I much prefer the aesthetic of the buster sword. Plus it's HIS sword. It just looks weird to see him wield anything else.

It would be cool, though, if we got to use the Fusion Sword (from Advent Children)

Correct me if I'm wrong but in original FF7 your melee damagers like Cloud and Tifa's damage was based on their loadout. The more magical materia you had equipped the less physical damage they would do. On my first playthrough I used almost nothing but magic because the melee damage seemed pathetic in comparison even on abilities because I had them loaded out with a bunch of spells.

Do they do anything like that in this? Is the materia system the same? Does it level up and then split into a new one when maxed out?

Where did you pick up the chocobo chic & chocobo & Moogle Materia? I’ve done all side quests and generally took my time and never came across it. I’m just about to fight
    the Airbuster

There is a lift once you disable enough lamps the activates

Without spoiling anything else

You are gone way past it

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but in original FF7 your melee damagers like Cloud and Tifa's damage was based on their loadout. The more magical materia you had equipped the less physical damage they would do. On my first playthrough I used almost nothing but magic because the melee damage seemed pathetic in comparison even on abilities because I had them loaded out with a bunch of spells.

Do they do anything like that in this? Is the materia system the same? Does it level up and then split into a new one when maxed out?

They do yes once you obtain the correct blue materia
    You can assign lighting to your weapons for arguments sake

Same with armour

Advertisement