Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Today is the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Today is the day :)

An post saying out for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

I'm ludicrously excited for this, even downloaded the original on my iPhone to play again while I wait, actually still enjoy it too.

I did enjoy the demo but not totally thrilled about the battle system, hopefully I can endure and enjoy it as I'm really looking forward to all the hopefully amazing visuals of so many scenes and the summons etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So can you explore midgar at will (massive open world) or is everything locked off?

Aethan Dor wrote: »
    I'm ludicrously excited for this, even downloaded the original on my iPhone to play again while I wait, actually still enjoy it too.

I did enjoy the demo but not totally thrilled about the battle system, hopefully I can endure and enjoy it as I'm really looking forward to all the hopefully amazing visuals of so many scenes and the summons etc

I love the new battle system but maybe try the demo first to see if you like it and if not, try the 'Classic' mode which is auto combat, you just have to sit back and enjoy but can still issue and stack commands if you want to get involved, This puts difficulty to easy as well so will get you through the combat quicker.
    So can you explore midgar at will (massive open world) or is everything locked off?

I'm only on chapter 3 but the part of Midgar I'm in is like a hub area. I have been giving a bunch of side quests and can wonder around. Not seeing a huge open world but I think I'm too early in to tell really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    An post saying out for delivery?

Yes, very excited! Post usually here around 10am.

:D:D

Edit:

08 April 2020 08:45

Your item was delivered

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Listened to Kat Bailey on her podcast explaining the review.

It sounds like when it's good it's really good but can also be totally tedious at times. She said it's very obvious when there is padding with dungeon design that is very poor. Standard switch flipping stuff. Dungeons just go on for way too long and get very boring. Side quests are just mmo fetch quests. Says the story additions are kingdom hearts level terrible. It's also missing the somber atmosphere the original had due to trying to be so action packed and pointed out the train graveyard as an example of everything wrong with the game. Not a good game to binge as it has long unbroken sections of tedium.

Lots of good to say about it as well. Lots of areas amazed her visually. The characters she loved. Combat system works great but the boss battles are a major highlight. And summons looked gorgeous. Their guides editor was on as well who never played the original but agreed with her.

Oh Retro, just go and marry Kat Bailey!!

jk :) so, you planning on picking it up or waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The Kingdom Hearts references are giving me the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Listened to Kat Bailey on her podcast explaining the review.

It sounds like when it's good it's really good but can also be totally tedious at times. She said it's very obvious when there is padding with dungeon design that is very poor. Standard switch flipping stuff. Dungeons just go on for way too long and get very boring. Side quests are just mmo fetch quests. Says the story additions are kingdom hearts level terrible. It's also missing the somber atmosphere the original had due to trying to be so action packed and pointed out the train graveyard as an example of everything wrong with the game. Not a good game to binge as it has long unbroken sections of tedium.

Lots of good to say about it as well. Lots of areas amazed her visually. The characters she loved. Combat system works great but the boss battles are a major highlight. And summons looked gorgeous. Their guides editor was on as well who never played the original but agreed with her.

Because I rarely get to binge, I tend to be able to soak up a lot more tedium than most so this doesn't phase me at much. What is disappointing is the lack of the sombre mood from the original. in Midgar in particular, the world was presented very well to help dictate the mood of the plot and I think that will be a massive loss.

However! Hearing that the characters and the occasional area of visual awe are very inspiring. The Characters are what swung it for me originally, and what I've seen of them in the trailers and the demo make me optimistic that they have captured the original spirit of them.

Now if the postman would just kindly get his arse here with the game I'd be able to start playing it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh Retro, just go and marry Kat Bailey!!

jk :) so, you planning on picking it up or waiting?

I can wait. It's obviously going to get a much improved next gen version which the PC release will be based on. Got a lot of great RPGs in the backlog to go through as well so not like I'm crying out for a new one.

Also my new consoles and PC are all in the place I rent and the lock down has me stuck in my parents until I have to go back in to work so I've kind of no way of playing it!
    The Kingdom Hearts references are giving me the fear.

It's only the new story additions though. She did like it when it kept to the script of original.

She also said some fans might like the additions but had her scratching her head thinking what the actual ****.

What's with the Kingdom Hearts references? I played one yonks ago briefly and didn't care for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The padded out dungeons is a real thing, the lead up to reactor 5 really annoyed me. They take moments from the original game which were just a few screens (a train tunnel, a catwalk) and turn them into multiple hour long dungeons.

However at the same time there has never been a better realised version of these characters. Partly cause we never got a good localisation originally, but also I think these remade versions are showing nuance that even while they are all perfect examples or JRPG cliche they rise above it all, if that makes sense. Cloud is still brooding guy with mysterious past but there's a self-awareness to how these characters are represented which takes them out of the 90s.

Like it's a remake that acknowledges what the first game was in a way and also seems to try and address story and character inconsistencies in the original, or provide a bit more depth where there was a blank space before. Barret has a personality of a sort of cult leader which explains how he gets to where he is, which is not something original Barret ever showed. But these are good changes that don't mess with the script.

I haven't done any of the sidequests. I'm on chapter 9 and I can still pull through fights (although it is really hard) so the game feels pretty well balanced around that stuff so far. You have to use all the mechanics and abilities available so I think so far it's a good way to play it without being overpowered and melting bosses

I clipped a fight. Struggled at the end but it was really exciting. Spoilers for Chapter 6 (though this fight was shown in previews too)
    https://youtu.be/cxIBs981Vcc

Unfortunately tho the texture work in some of the daytime chapters kind of kills the hype. This can be a great looking game but feels kind of budget during sector 5 at times. I'm not sure why the textures can be so blurry especially when the game is 100GB. I saw DF speculate the amount of unique assets causes them to run into VRAM issues or something, I hope then the PC version could resolve this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RedXIV wrote: »
    Because I rarely get to binge, I tend to be able to soak up a lot more tedium than most so this doesn't phase me at much. What is disappointing is the lack of the sombre mood from the original. in Midgar in particular, the world was presented very well to help dictate the mood of the plot and I think that will be a massive loss.

However! Hearing that the characters and the occasional area of visual awe are very inspiring. The Characters are what swung it for me originally, and what I've seen of them in the trailers and the demo make me optimistic that they have captured the original spirit of them.

Now if the postman would just kindly get his arse here with the game I'd be able to start playing it! :D

I am the same with you here. What I was getting from the opening cutscene in the demo is that there will be a 2 tier city so am not surprised it will be all grimy as the original was.

As for "dungeons" and fetch quests wait tell you want to collect all materia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Nothing with the postman today, smyths order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

RedXIV wrote: »
    Doorbell rang. Never moved as fast in my life as the postie never rings unless there is a package.

Everyone can relax, my wife's makeup subscription box arrived.

:(

Just had the same with a delivery driver looking for my neighbours 2 doors down, my eyes lit up, it was DPD and everything, visions of exploring Midgar for the day flashed before my eyes, except he had a microwave, but no, I only got a new microwave a few weeks ago, back to work....

Sigh

What's with the Kingdom Hearts references? I played one yonks ago briefly and didn't care for it.

Well it's more that the story in kingdom hearts games is utter undefendable garbage. It's way overcomplicated for what is a simple story and just incredibly badly written. I think the story additions feel more like kingdom hearts because of the influence of Nomura in the team who is in charge of kingdom Hearts rather than Nojima who was the original scenario writer.

As Kat Bailey said, it feels more like modern square and modern square is kingdom hearts.

Haven't seen any KH stuff yet, although I did read spoilers and know exactly what is being referred to. The KH-esque stuff sounds brilliant imo tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm, for me tedium and padding is the deadliest sin in any game, so this thread doesn’t fill me with confidence that this is for me :(

I'm 8 hours in. Although I am enjoying it I do find the reactor 5 stuff is excessively padded.

I'm also disappointed in some of the visuals. Main characters look amazing and the combat looks great. But sector 7 looks weirdly last gen and uses a static backdrop image for the upper plate which I find a bit offputting.

Wandering around Sector 7 last night and I absolutely loved staring up at the plate every now and again, looks epic. The blurry signs taking a while to load is annoying though, hoping a day 1 patch fixes that.

• Advertisement

Hmm, for me tedium and padding is the deadliest sin in any game, so this thread doesn’t fill me with confidence that this is for me :(

Well there's good filler and bad filler. The reactor 5 stuff I mentioned, but I'm on chapter 9 which has a lengthy filler section in it
    involving a colloseum and a somewhat aggressive inhabitable space
    and maybe it's the best part in the game for me.

What I'm taking away from it more is it's less like a remake of FFVII and more a 'reunion' with its central characters if I may dare to be so cheesy. As time goes on I become less annoyed by the very slow pace of it all.

Which is partly why I wonder if there's much here on offer to people who don't already have a relationship with the original game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Jessie > Tifa & Aeris

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Jessie > Tifa & Aeris

The ending is up on YouTube - not watched it. Seems to be drama over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

My copy posted from Shopto on the 2nd still hasn't arrived in Parcel Motel in Belfast. I wonder should I take it that it's lost? Really wanted a physical copy but thinking of going the digital road now as I'd like to have it for the long weekend, there's hardly anywhere else I could get a physical copy by Friday?

lordlame wrote: »
    The ending is up on YouTube - not watched it. Seems to be drama over it!

I just read about it. Think it's pretty much the height of the Kingdom Hearts comparisons because it sounds pants on head anime stupid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Just got this in the post today . delighted !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Barlett wrote: »
    My copy posted from Shopto on the 2nd still hasn't arrived in Parcel Motel in Belfast. I wonder should I take it that it's lost? Really wanted a physical copy but thinking of going the digital road now as I'd like to have it for the long weekend, there's hardly anywhere else I could get a physical copy by Friday?

Give it a few more days, I had a 8 day wait from dispatch to arriving at the Antrim PM depot for a item last week from the UK.

It's the luck of the draw at the moment as I had two more items arrive within 24 hours this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 st_jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is Smyths or GameStop better for delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Is Smyths or GameStop better for delivery?

If your just ordering it now you will be waiting a bit with either I say

Advertisement