Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Matter [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It was okay, big improvement on Ep1, but what's the point?

They've escaped, and there's a hint of some powers that be not having finished with them, but what are we waiting for with Ep 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Episode 4 is my favourite of this season so far - I liked seeing almost everyone off on their own little side adventures. I'm sure there's some people disappointed that the main story arc isn't progressing forward as fast as they'd like, but for me (much like with Firefly) I just enjoy watching these characters and love the general feel of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I wonder if the new woman is an empath? It would explain her ability to match the skills of opponents instantly or know what exactly to ask to get what she needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was okay, big improvement on Ep1, but what's the point?

They've escaped, and there's a hint of some powers that be not having finished with them, but what are we waiting for with Ep 3?

Yeah, I think that's the fundamental problem with this show. I can forgive its pretty non-existent budget or scope, but its characters aren't all uniquely interesting that the complete absence of a longer arc, threat or purpose doesn't is papered over. As you say, what's the point here?

IIRC, Killjoys airs around the same time as Dark Matter and while it has a similarly slim budget, the writing has structured a much clearer mystery and purpose for that particular crew. Also, it has a more demonstrable set of villains or threats nagging everyone that Dark Matter sorely lacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I agree that Killjoys set up the white-haired villain pretty early on and even though they have a smilar plot revolving around evil corporations the killjoy threat has already materialised. The new female beating up the martial arts dude was a bit annoying. They already have an overpowered female in the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Love the Android Upgrade - don't think it'll last, but it's an interesting arc all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I agree that Killjoys set up the white-haired villain pretty early on and even though they have a smilar plot revolving around evil corporations the killjoy threat has already materialised. The new female beating up the martial arts dude was a bit annoying. They already have an overpowered female in the crew.

Both shows have similar plot-lines revolving corporations, but Killjoys knows to actively engage with this backdrop through action & reaction, unlike Dark Matter that seems content to just have its cast stand around a table and talk about how on the run they all are.

That said, Dark Matter's characters are a shade more interesting than Killjoys', whose own cast are a touch too wannabe - Whedonesque at times (though that has been dialled back a little in Season 2). Each of the Raza's crew have intriguing enough stories that could be something larger, but that's part of the problem; there's almost zero focus or forward momentum.

The latest, 7th, episode is a good example of that; arguably there were 3 strands in play yet none of them stepped forward and drove the narrative forward with anything resembling energy.

In case it was missed in the Killjoys thread, Dark Matter has been renewed for a season 3:

http://tvline.com/2016/09/01/killjoys-renewed-season-3-dark-matter/

And for those still following this, the second season of 'Bottle Episode: The Series' finished up with the most anticlimactic finale I've ever watched on TV. I get that the characters are the driving force behind the show and that's fine, but even character-focused show at least try and dovetail threads into something resembling a thrilling (be it through actions or emotions) final episode, signing the season off on a different scope or set of stakes. Nope, not here.

Edit: For some reason I got it into my head that Dark Matter was a 10 episode show, not 13. Hey ho, guess that feeling of it being a mid-season episode was for good reason :D

It's a nice little time-filler n' all, and I've come to like most of the crew (particularly the Android, who's clearly the standout), but against its sibling Space Opera show Killjoys, Dark Matter feels like a stage play caught in a perpetual holding pattern. The second season started out so well with its prison & space station adventures suggesting a more purposeful narrative with forward momentum; but then events devolved back into the usual sequence of *whisper*kind-boring*whisper* bottle episodes that went nowhere :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 elric

Has the remainder of the season leaked? There are three episodes that are unaired as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I can't see any leaks. There are 2 episodes tonight and 1 next week.

Yeah I just got ahead of myself is all, got it into my head there were only 10 episodes for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

I honestly don't get why Killjoy's is even mentioned in this thread. I can't stand Killjoy's. It's a noisy mess and have stopped watching it a long time ago. From day one Dark Matter was "light year's" ahead of Killjoy's imo.

Dark Matter season 2 started of great and has continued to be a great season.

Leave the Killjoy's praise to the Killjoy's thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's mentioned because they're similar shows which are airing at the same time. Like yourself, I much preferred Dark Matter over Killjoys in season 1. It was more interesting, more serious and had better character progression. And while this started off well with the prison, I found that it devolved into a mediocre show, whereas Killjoys is much better this season. They're different but similar in ways, and the character progression in Killjoys this season was far outweighing Dark Matters attempts (Android aside, of course, she's amazing).

That was until I watched this weeks episode. I'm suddenly enthralled again. An amazing episode I thought, and genuinely didn't see that ending coming (to a degree,
    killing the mother was enevitable, didn't expect Rio to kill his brother
    ). Can't wait for the finale now, will be extremely interesting to see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Yep, it was an awesome episode. They`ve really stepped up their game with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Both new episodes were great, but the end of the second one was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

SoftMicro wrote: »
    I honestly don't get why Killjoy's is even mentioned in this thread. I can't stand Killjoy's. It's a noisy mess and have stopped watching it a long time ago. From day one Dark Matter was "light year's" ahead of Killjoy's imo.

Dark Matter season 2 started of great and has continued to be a great season.

Leave the Killjoy's praise to the Killjoy's thread?

I stopped watching Killjoys after the second episode of this season. Very lazy writing and very bad fighting from the female lead.

Dark matters characters seem to have more depth, better acting, better fighting and better development.

Didn't see that ending coming at all :eek:
    Looked like it was going to be all happy family.

Earlier in the episode Three said that Four (Ryo) was avoiding him and he thought it was because of his memories of something bad (or something to that affect). Looks like that might come to the forefront in the finale. Should be a fun finale!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

SoftMicro wrote: »
    Earlier in the episode Three said that Four (Ryo) was avoiding him and he thought it was because of his memories of something bad (or something to that affect). Looks like that might come to the forefront in the finale. Should be a fun finale!

The creators have already said that they plan to leave that for season 3.

• Advertisement

jcrowbar wrote: »
    The creators have already said that they plan to leave that for season 3.

Have you just spoiled season 3? :(

Well then... the finale will be even more of a surprise :cool:

Oh, those bastards. Very enjoyable finale. Can't wait for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am looking forward to the finale but was very disappointed with the penultimate episode this season. Just seemed quite boring and one dimensional only focusing on four and not really giving any of the other crew anything significant to do. All the other episodes so far have been good do and am looking forward to season 3 as well. Dark Matter I find is much more fun than Killjoys. I try to watch it but the truth is I don,t really care whats happening or going on in it so I only half watch the episodes.

Next season should be interesting. At least we know it's been renewed.

Should the thread title mention US pace? Wouldnt want to inadvertently spoil anything for those behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What an cliffhanger ending to the season. Looking forward to the next season already. Really don,t like 4 at the moment but also feel sorry for him at the same time that sister of his is evil.

AMKC wrote: »
    What an cliffhanger ending to the season. Looking forward to the next season already. Really don,t like 4 at the moment but also feel sorry for him at the same time that sister of his is evil.
    I don't think that's his sister; it's not explicitly stated, but I think she was just a daughter of someone in the court who happened to grow up alongside Four.

Definitely the most 'cliffhanger'y of endings for the season, seems like whatever happens the crew will be very definitely broken up at the start of SEason 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think that's his sister; it's not explicitly stated, but I think she was just a daughter of someone in the court who happened to grow up alongside Four.

Definitely the most 'cliffhanger'y of endings for the season, seems like whatever happens the crew will be very definitely broken up at the start of SEason 3

I thought it was pretty clear she wasn't. She is not royalty. It's feudal Japan in space. Her family are Shogun/honour guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dark Matter returns to Syfy UK for it's 3rd season on the 12th June

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Returns tonight in the States with a double episode.

Advertisement