Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Matter [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

pixelburp wrote: »
    I prefer none of them, but Dark Matter's worst crime so far is that it's bland and utterly, shamelessly derivative. It's not offensively bad; I'd sooner watch that over the sheer atrociousness that was Gotham. Divorced of the Batman brand - which I suspect gave it a lot more leeway than others shows would have received - it's a horrendous show, saddled with bad writing and cliché (important plot information conveyed by a convenient Breaking News!), not to mention really, really stupid characters. I don't get p*ssed off by bad writing/shows that much, but for some reason Gotham left me steaming at how idiotic some of the writing was.

The Strain had a same problem; really stupid - or just plain unsympathetic - characters trying their best to sink any potential the show could have had.

I'm not a huge fan of Gotham either to be honest. It's a bit Law and Order:Gotham City for me but I do have a soft spot for The Strain-despite it's faults. I think the 14 year-old me would have loved The Strain. And I did enjoy the book.

Like you say, production values can help suck people in for a bit and Dark Matter is seriously lacking in them.

As an aside, I hate the stupid spelling of Sci-fi...who decided that?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I prefer none of them, but Dark Matter's worst crime so far is that it's bland and utterly, shamelessly derivative. It's not offensively bad; I'd sooner watch that over the sheer atrociousness that was Gotham. Divorced of the Batman brand - which I suspect gave it a lot more leeway than others shows would have received - it's a horrendous show, saddled with bad writing and cliché (important plot information conveyed by a convenient Breaking News!), not to mention really, really stupid characters. I don't get p*ssed off by bad writing/shows that much, but for some reason Gotham left me steaming at how idiotic some of the writing was.

The Strain had a same problem; really stupid - or just plain unsympathetic - characters trying their best to sink any potential the show could have had.
    Totally agree here. There a lot I can put up with in a SF show, except for when the main plot driver is (often supposedly trained professionals) doing the most moronic thing imaginable in every possible situation. And I'm looking at you too Prometheus etc.
    Then again, if they'd just follow the protocol there'd be no show I guess... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Totally agree here. There a lot I can put up with in a SF show, except for when the main plot driver is (often supposedly trained professionals) doing the most moronic thing imaginable in every possible situation. And I'm looking at you too Prometheus etc.
    Then again, if they'd just follow the protocol there'd be no show I guess... :)

Fortitude was another. I don't think I've ever been as angry watching a TV show as I was watching the last 2 episodes of Fortitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I just finished watching episode three and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is nothing special but it is keeping me interested each week. it's cheap but enjoyable. One and Five annoy me a bit but I like the rest of the characters especially The Android.

I wasn't expecting much and it is better than I thought it would be. Whereas with shows like Gotham and The Strain I was expecting a lot more because it was Batman and Del Toro but they both left me disappointed, particularly The Strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Third episode was ok. Still uncertain whether i'm going to continue with this as the character are all so pretty and boring. This show and killjoys are made by the same channel , right ? Cos they could easily inhabit the same universe they are so generic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Third episode was ok. Still uncertain whether i'm going to continue with this as the character are all so pretty and boring. This show and killjoys are made by the same channel , right ? Cos they could easily inhabit the same universe they are so generic.
    They are shown back to back (Killjoy being the second of teh two) live so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Nothing to see here. Crap storyline and bland characters lacking any chemistry.

E03 wasn't as bad I was expecting. There was some mild suspense and a bit of whodunit going on. The last scene throws the cat among the pigeons, but may be a lot less interesting for the overall story TBH if what we're expecting is true.
    Anyway, I'll probably have to watch them all now. Terrible idea putting it back to back with Killjoys. Two shows are far too similar (though Dark Matter is much better IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    E03 wasn't as bad I was expecting. There was some mild suspense and a bit of whodunit going on. The last scene throws the cat among the pigeons, but may be a lot less interesting for the overall story TBH if what we're expecting is true.
    Anyway, I'll probably have to watch them all now. Terrible idea putting it back to back with Killjoys. Two shows are far too similar (though Dark Matter is much better IMO).
    id say its just his twin brother, doubt itll be a clone,

it would be much more interesting if the shows crossed over, i wonder if syfy thought of including some element like that when they greenlit 2 space based shows to air back to back, killjoys seems based in a small enough system that the dark matter crew could drop by, and the RAC and killjoys could be solely based out of that system,

must say though killjoys 2nd episode was much much better than the pilot, whereas dark matter seems to have remained consistent throughout its 3 episodes,

I dont think that actor is good enough to play both his bland character on the ship and his evil twin. I liked how they were so quick to believe the girl was dreaming all their memories. Out of the two shows i only think the british actress in killjoys and the funny older guy in dark matter are good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Really enjoying this so far, it reminds me of Firefly. Interesting characters apart from "One" but I suppose he is needed as the moral compass of the show.

That was a good, fun episode. The team breaks up into separate groups and all end up having mini-adventures that don't go according to plan. I think that they are doing a good job of developing all the characters, they each have distinct personalities and I have grown to like them all except 'One', he still annoys me.

I can't figure out what age 'Five' is supposed to be, they talk about her as if she is a little girl but she looks to me like she is in her twenties.

I think I will be sticking with this show for some cheap and cheerful entertainment.

Unfortunately it seems 1 and 2 are going to be the main couple of the show and it is becoming obvious to me that 1 is a mediocre actor. 2 is better but is really starting to resemble aeryn sun in dress sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Really enjoying this so far, it reminds me of Firefly. Interesting characters apart from "One" but I suppose he is needed as the moral compass of the show.
    It's basically a complete ripoff of Firefly with a few other shows thrown in for good measure.

It's pretty bad so far IMO, but I'll watch to see if it gets any better.

I really enjoyed episode 5. Yeah I know it was a rip off of plenty of 'trapped on a ship while running out of time' plots or 'trapped in an enclosed place with a bunch of zombies' plots and zombies in space has even been done before but I had fun with it. The characters have grown on me and I have started to care about them all. Except 'One', just chuck him out the airlock and be done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hang on a tick, they've brought zombies into the mix now? Well, space-zombies I guess. Ach no, there's being derivative and then there's just narrative slumming. I defended the show a few posts back but if the scripts are being this unimaginative and uninspired, it scarcely deserves watching :D

Well zombies certainly aren't doing 'The Walking Dead' any harm or 'iZombie or 'Z Nation' and we have 'Fear the Walking Dead' coming out soon so I don't begrudge a cheapy show like 'Dark Matter' a bit of intergalactic undead action, as long as they don't make a habit of it.

To be honest, I also watch 'The 'Walking Dead' and I enjoy 'Dark Matter' more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I quite enjoyed the show tonight. It reminded me a lot about the Enterprise episode where they find the Vulcans that have turned into zombies. What about no.2 do you think she still has the virus or is it gone as they think it is. I think she might still have it as she was scratching where her plaster was after she took it of at the end of the episode.

AMKC wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed the show tonight. It reminded me a lot about the Enterprise episode where they find the Vulcans that have turned into zombies. What about no.2 do you think she still has the virus or is it gone as they think it is. I think she might still have it as she was scratching where her plaster was after she took it of at the end of the episode.
    she wasnt scratching, she was rubbing the blood away to see where the bite mark went, and it has completely healed already,

id say the crew could be some kind of new synthetic clones, like ones other self said, 1 could be a clone, but clones only last 3 or 4 days, maybe the crew are some kind of new experimental clone, and maybe thats linked to that quarantine zone where the space zombies came from, and thats why the zombie virus didnt kill 2,

interesting mix of stargate personnel, amanda tapping direct the last episode and then david hewlitt was in this one, and the show was created by some of the stargate team,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Watched a few minutes... space zombies (:rolleyes:) turned it off. I'll give it another go tonight, but I think the show is losing the plot before it even gets started properly. I'm not expecting this to survive past a first season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Well zombies certainly aren't doing 'The Walking Dead' any harm or 'iZombie or 'Z Nation' and we have 'Fear the Walking Dead' coming out soon so I don't begrudge a cheapy show like 'Dark Matter' a bit of intergalactic undead action, as long as they don't make a habit of it.

To be honest, I also watch 'The 'Walking Dead' and I enjoy 'Dark Matter' more than that.

Well that's not hard, Walking Dead isn't the kind of show you can really 'enjoy'; 'endure' perhaps. I gave up mid-season 4 and the world seemed so much brighter as a consequence ;)

And it's not the presence of zombies as such, it's just that it doesn't dissuade me that this show isn't anything other than horrendously derivative with no ideas of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don ramo wrote: »
    id say the crew could be some kind of new synthetic clones, like ones other self said, 1 could be a clone, but clones only last 3 or 4 days, maybe the crew are some kind of new experimental clone, and maybe thats linked to that quarantine zone where the space zombies came from, and thats why the zombie virus didnt kill 2,

ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-im-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens-a0f6bd.jpg

I just finished watching episode six and I thought it was great. I reckon the show is getting better each week. I'm enjoying the little bits of information we are getting about the character back stories each week. Plenty more info about 'Four' and his royal past. A bit more info on who the dead boy was. 'Six' may be responsible for more deaths than anyone else on the ship. Very little 'One' this week which was a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its O.K.
    When i heard we where getting two new scifi shows i was excited.
    ive watched all the episodes each week but watching them is not a priority, it might be 11pm Sunday night before i get around to watching them while if i was gagging for the episodes each week.

None of my friends are keeping with it. They all stopped (on both shows) and are waiting to see if they even get renewed before committing

considering i feel the same way about both of the shows i can use the same response for both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@Slarkon. Whats the other show?

I found tonights episode boring and predictable. Nothing great or significant happened in it. i really thought they could have ended last weeks episode much better either by 1 being stuck in confinement for a few days or even longer or even have her die. It is a bit early for that do for any of the them to be killed of yet. . That would really mess things up as she is who hold the crew together. Saying that I don,t want to see her die but its just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭corkie

I think he is referring to 'KillJoys' as he posted the same message in both threads!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I found tonights episode boring and predictable. Nothing great or significant happened in it. i really thought they could have ended last weeks episode much better either by 1 being stuck in confinement for a few days or even longer or even have her die. It is a bit early for that do for any of the them to be killed of yet. . That would really mess things up as she is who hold the crew together. Saying that I don,t want to see her die but its just an idea.
    the other show is killjoys, also made by syfy they started airing within a week of each other and now both air on syfy in american on friday night,

i must say both shows are starting to grow on me, ive found it hard to lower my expectations for shows like this, kinda good be kinda cheap sci-fi, shows like continuum and falling skies just melted my head by constantly going around and around in circles, with just no traction moving the story on, i hope these dont do the same,

Jaysus, that was horrific. Like, sub-Killjoys level rubbish... "Aussie" FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah pretty bad. Dunking the Cosmic Doughnut? Jesus....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I thought this episode was hilarious, nearly like Futurama with real people.

Clearly "One" doesn't watch OITNB or fair dinkum he would have (the following could potentially be perceived as a minor spoiler for the other show, hence tagged and forewarning)
    avoided Wendy and her knickers.
    :D

Advertisement