Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dogs outside all day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swanley

Swanley says treat animal like person. Not like human. Swanley says, what is person anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Another load of crap, if a dog has always lived outside and has never been in the house then it doesn't know any different.

It's really not as black and white as you think. Dogs have been bred for thousands of years as companion animals. Fine if you spend your time outdoors with them, not so good if you barely give them any interaction during the day. Just because you have decided to keep a companion animal away from its companions and it has resigned itself to a life of solitude does not make it right.

The main problem I have with your statement is the bit in Bold, you seem to be saying a dog that is kept outside will not be treated, or feel, like part of the family :confused:

There are a lot of dogs that live outside that are perfectly happy, they aren't being ignored, abused or treated badly.

I hate to see any animals in a house, I think it's dirty and it's not natural.
    How do you know that the dog is "perfectly happy"? If they are happier inside with their humans then there is nothing wrong with that.

As for your opinion that having dogs in the house is dirty and not natural, nothing could be further from the truth. Having a dog living as part of the family environment has been proven to boost the immune system, particularly of babies and children. Babies are born with only their mothers immunity and their immune system develops within their natural environment. Living with pets has been scientifically proven to boost immune systems whereas children who live in "sterile" homes that are kept too clean are the ones that succumb to viruses and illnesses and are far more likely to develop asthma and other respiratory illnesses.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/09/study-why-dogs-and-cats-make-babies-healthier/

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20120709/many-babies-healthier-in-homes-with-dogs

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/3375/20120709/dogs-boost-children-s-immune-system.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I think neutering and only allowing planned breeding would be a good idea in this country.

Well every single dog from all rescue centres are neutered in this case, but it is up to the other folk out there when they get a dog to neuter it, but as you know, they just don't understand the basics of this.

They need to be educated in regards to the case of animal shelters and how they are trying to cope in regards to... Giving a puppy as a gift, and when the dog gets bigger they dump it.

They don't understand that all animal shelters in Ireland are at breaking point because of said uneducated folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lulu1 wrote: »
    A man with a dog moved in oppisite us a few years ago. He had a large dog not sure what breed.

That poor dog lay in the garden morning noon and night even in the winter months with the hailstones and snow belting down on top of him.

He did take the dog foe a walk most days. Oh was talking to him one day and asked him about the dog sleeping outside. The man said that the dog would not come into the house but even so he could have provided some kind of shelter for him outside.

Well thats what I class as animal abuse - out in all weathers in the elements without even a shelter - whether the dog wanted to come in or not was/is irrelevant - and is/was that very 'convenient' for the owner that the dog would not come into the house plus when your an owner of a dog you have to be the leader - im sure if the owner slowly introduced the dog into coming into the house in the end the dog would become accustomed to it and i the end it would be the best decision all round ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Dogs are domesticated animals, they are social creatures, they need and crave interaction and attention. It is desperately wrong to get a dog and stick it outside alone 24/7. Thats where the problem lies, dogs living out their days isolated, bored and lonely, and so many dogs live these lives its disgraceful.

• Advertisement

A lot of rescues wont rehome dogs to people who keep them outside.

The rescue centre I got my dog from sends a person or two out to your abode to make sure it has a decent garden and a nice home, they are very particular, and they will never give the dog unless everything is in good order.

Some people will lie regarding living in a flat/apartment saying they have a house with garden, but they get caught-out very quickly and they are outright refused.

Swanley wrote: »
    Swanley says treat animal like person. Not like human. Swanley says, what is person anyway?

I feel like I'm replying to the Echelon computer system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A lot of rescues wont rehome dogs to people who keep them outside.

Well bigger fools them.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Dogs are domesticated animals, they are social creatures, they need and crave interaction and attention. It is desperately wrong to get a dog and stick it outside alone 24/7. Thats where the problem lies, dogs living out their days isolated, bored and lonely, and so many dogs live these lives its disgraceful.

You know cattle are domesticated animals too, right? No room in my house for any however.

Who said anything about the dog being alone 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm not totally against leaving dogs outside once they get the company, warmth, attention and their needs are met. Dogs are social animals and many breeds like to be in on the action.

Walks, human interaction and a warm place to sleep of an evening is the least a pet deserves.

My two dogs are house dogs but they love the outdoors, however, it's not quite the same for them if we don't come along. This weather they'd sit outside all day until it's walk or play time or follow us around the garden looking for fun.

However they wouldn't entertain going out in the lashing rain or staying out on a stormy day and they like their home comforts.

We made the decision if we had dogs they would be part of the home. I know a neighbour who keeps little dogs (toy breeds) outside in all weathers even the minus ones and their constant barking and howling is disturbing. But some breeds don't mind the outdoors as I said once they have somewhere warm and comfortable to retreat to.

• Advertisement

Well bigger fools them.

If you had any involvement in rescue you would understand why. Most of the dogs that end up in rescues that have been surrendered have been given up because they have developed behavioural problems associated with solitary living outside of their family unit. If they rehomed the dog to a home that was to keep the dog outside then the dog would highly likely bounce back to the rescue within a few months as the new home would find the behavioural problems too difficult to deal with. It's completely unfair on the dog to put it back in an environment that caused it problems in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

They don't understand that all animal shelters in Ireland are at breaking point because of said uneducated folk.

I am well aware I volunteer. A couple of years ago they built a whole new building of kennels up in mount venus . The idea was to get rid of the old ones. But they now have to use both buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

You know cattle are domesticated animals too, right? No room in my house for any however.

Being fair, we dont eat dogs.

maggiepip wrote: »

There are pets that are less high maintenance.People should see what is best for their personality.

Well bigger fools them.

You have to understand that a lot of dogs in rescue centres have issues. Some of these dogs most probably have been abused and neglected and/or physically and mentally hurt, so re-homing them in the correct comfortable environment is essential.

Or just admit they are not actually pet people which is perfectly fine so long as you don't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

That's a ridiculous comparison. I suppose you don't have to bring the cattle for a walk either

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

There are still stringent regulations as to how cattle are kept. And you can't keep cattle etc in residential areas. I don't see the comparison.

Also cattle are herd animals who don't accept humans as part of the herd. Dogs are social animals who are at this stage more accepting of humans than dogs in their 'pack'.

You do know why the dog is called man's/woman's best friend don't you. It is because of their intelligence and understanding to its companion. Spend a few hours with a cow and see how well it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

I think neutering and only allowing planned breeding would be a good idea in this country.

If this statement is referring to humans then I couldn't agree more!

This thread has gotten ridiculous. All sorts of crazy claims about people knowing exactly what dogs want best. When as usual the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

There is nothing wrong with certain dogs living outside provided they have proper care, attention and facilities. Likewise there is nothing wrong with some dogs living inside provided they are giving plenty of exercise and time outside also.

Of course some dogs are mistreated and that is unacceptable. But peoples opinions of what defines mistreatment are vary and often lack education. Or if not education, then lack knowledge of circumstances. Every dog is different, as has been mentioned already.

You do know why the dog is called man's/woman's best friend don't you. It is because of their intelligence and understanding to its companion. Spend a few hours with a cow and see how well it goes.

Yep, that field of cattle across the road are fantastic retrieving that ball I threw, or even doing a bit of agility for treats.:D

Mount Venus rescued a Vietnamese pot bellied pig a few years ago from woman who fed it nothing but cheese. It doesn't like humans because they are very very shy. He has a friend not (another pig). There are regulations in licensing on what pigs can be fed etc.

Some animals don't actually like humans. Pigs are intelligent and social but they don't like people only other pigs.

And yes apparently she fed it nothing but cheese and it was MASSIVELY over weight ..even for a pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's no way in hell I'd keep a dog if it didn't have piles of space and human interaction, but I wouldn't keep one in the house either, to me that's just cruel. Dogs are companions, not furniture.

There's no way in hell I'd keep a dog if it didn't have piles of space and human interaction, but I wouldn't keep one in the house either, to me that's just cruel. Dogs are companions, not furniture.

They need a mix of both. It does depend on the breed though. Ideally people should consult a vet instead of assuming they know. Dietary habits of dogs differ from breed to breed too. Mongrels can eat a wider variety of foods usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

.At this moment in time our dog is curled up on the sofa beside oh with a blanket over him to keep him warm. At bedtime he will lay in the bed down at the bottom beside our feet.

In the good weather he will lay at the front door all day and will only bark if he sees another dog that he dosent know passing or if he hears the gate opening.

He is walked 2 or 3 times a day but would not put his nose outside if it was raining.

If you are in the house then it's highly likely that your dog will want to be as well. Yes there's certain dogs that prefer to be outside, guarding breeds etc but even within those breeds there dogs that want to be with their humans. It's more cruel to keep your dog apart if it wants to be with you.

This thread is getting weirdypants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Cattle are herd animals and get their social interaction from the rest of the herd. As far as Im aware you're not actually legally allowed to keep a lone cow for welfare reasons.

• Advertisement

You have to understand that a lot of dogs in rescue centres have issues. Some of these dogs most probably have been abused and neglected and/or physically and mentally hurt, so re-homing them in the correct comfortable environment is essential.

You are still missing the point. Being inside does not automatically equate to comfort for a dog.
    And I know all about rescue dogs, thanks.

Advertisement