Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dogs outside all day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

We used to have a few working dogs here that'd bark the place down sometimes. Leaving the radio on in their cages helped with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Depends on the dog. I used to leave my dog outside when I went to work, for a few months, then my neighbours told me she was barking and barking. Started leaving her inside, checked with the neighbours and they said no barks from inside. She just felt insecure and scared outside. Lots of other dogs are happier outside.

The one thing dogs absolutely do need is interaction with their humans. A walk is important - the dog gets to sniff the social life of the area and mark its territory; I think dogs look on this as kind of "the hunt". Even a short walk is better than no walk. (It's good for humans too, especially if you can walk by water.) And every dog should be petted comprehensively at least once a day, with plenty of stroking around the head and neck in a calm, kind way. And play, of course.

calms yourself down as a human that is, petting your dog ... lowers the heart rate as well

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

dog theft would be my first reason not to leave them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I know you say theres a kennel where you are but when we get back to - degrees centigrade temperatures will it still be OK to keep dogs outside in that? I know they got coats to keep them warm but still ...

There are over 70 trees in my garden to provide shade in the heat, when it gets too cold there are heavy blankets provided in the kennel.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    There are over 70 trees in my garden to provide shade in the heat, when it gets too cold there are heavy blankets provided in the kennel.

ah well - sounds like you have it covered then - im still not totally convinced myself leaving dogs outside all the time is the way to go but thats just me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't agree with it being an absolutely constant thing (with exceptions, e.g. a really decent run like Srameen's) - I don't see the relevance of the "It's as bad for them to be kept inside all the time" point. It doesn't have to be just one or the other.
    I'd try to keep the dog outdoors as much as possible this time of year, but couldn't keep them outside non stop when it's cold. Has to be done sometimes though of course. But no excuse for a sub-par shelter for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Say hello to Murph. He's a mix collie & Bernese mountain dog. I homed this beautiful dog from a rescue centre in north county dublin almost a year ago.

He gives you gifts of a towel or socks when you arrive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Some are not meant to be left like that. A lot of people pay to have someone check on them. Or they come home etc at lunch.

I don't recommend it all day.

I think it's very unfair to the dog . You need to know what you are getting into before you get a dog.

It's not right if the dogs suffers at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Dogs shouldn't be allowed in estates, buy a robot dog if you want a pet.

is it true to say that an awful lot of people in Ireland (not all) feel as though Dogs are not pets and are viewed as animals / working dogs because an awful lot of people have grown up with working dogs on the farms and always kept outside, some just even kept shackled up with an old rope and lying in puddles and out in the rain and all weathers or just left to roam around the farm and chase cars as they drive by - and this is where the problem lies so its a sort of like mindset that a lot of people have of dogs in Ireland rather than pets and bringing them in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I have a dogflap so the dog can be in or out as she chooses. She usually follows me around when I'm home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

I sometimes wonder why people have dogs as pets only to leave them outside at night.
    A dog wants to be part of your family, it does not want to be chained up outside or put in one of those crates.

I sometimes wonder why people have dogs as pets only to leave them outside at night.
    A dog wants to be part of your family, it does not want to be chained up outside or put in one of those crates.

Another load of crap, if a dog has always lived outside and has never been in the house then it doesn't know any different.

The main problem I have with your statement is the bit in Bold, you seem to be saying a dog that is kept outside will not be treated, or feel, like part of the family :confused:

There are a lot of dogs that live outside that are perfectly happy, they aren't being ignored, abused or treated badly.

I hate to see any animals in a house, I think it's dirty and it's not natural.

Another load of crap, if a dog has always lived outside and has never been in the house then it doesn't know any different.

The main problem I have with your statement is the bit in Bold, you seem to be saying a dog that is kept outside will not be treated, or feel, like part of the family :confused:

There are a lot of dogs that live outside that are perfectly happy, they aren't being ignored, abused or treated badly.

The problem with many dog owners is the dog they choose.
    Many people get inappropriate dogs as pets.
    wrong size, wrong breed.

No dog wants to be outside at night, they want to be with their family inside.
    Sitting by the fire in winter, dogs love it.
    I have working dogs and would never leave them outside at night.
    They stay in the utility room at the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Treating a dog as akin to a person is silly IMO, but I hate the other, "hard", utilitarian attitude towards dogs too.

For a domesticated dog, somewhere in between seems fairest IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Alot of people get dogs as a partner, live in the house full time and sleep with them too.

Treating a dog as akin to a person is silly IMO, but I hate the other, "hard", utilitarian attitude towards dogs too.

Dogs and cats are great companions for the elderly, who due to loneliness in many situations treat them like a person.
    There is nothing wrong with that.

The problem with many dog owners is the dog they choose.
    Many people get inappropriate dogs as pets.
    wrong size, wrong breed.

No dog wants to be outside at night, they want to be with their family inside.
    Sitting by the fire in winter, dogs love it.
    I have working dogs and would never leave them outside at night.
    They stay in the utility room at the back door.

How do you know what a dog wants? As was mentioned earlier, not every dog is the same so they don't all want the same thing. I used to have German Shepherds and even when the back door was left open, they never showed the slightest bit of interest in coming inside.

How do you know what a dog wants? As was mentioned earlier, not every dog is the same so they don't all want the same thing. I used to have German Shepherds and even when the back door was left open, they never showed the slightest bit of interest in coming inside.

I am just pointing out People have dogs that are too big for their home, so have to leave them outside.
    People have dogs for breeding reasons so would not them inside.
    People have dogs for security reasons, even though this is usually fantasy.

What is Natural ?

This is the only problem I have with your above comment... Actually it's a good thing having a dog in the house and it's not dirty when you wash said dog. In regards to dirty, it's actually beneficial for the human immune system to have a dog around the home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had 3 of my 4 work dogs stolen last December, they do be out all day which is natural for them. I was so down for a good while after it.
    My dogs get milk everyday, the washings milk with water it as part of the cleaning of the milking machine after milking. The cats love it too.

My uncle who also had his dogs outside all the time had one that would suck a cow, before the days of youtube, or I would have a youtube sensation on my hands and we didn't have a video recorder...

Keep them in all the time and you avoid both the good and bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

A man with a dog moved in oppisite us a few years ago. He had a large dog not sure what breed.

That poor dog lay in the garden morning noon and night even in the winter months with the hailstones and snow belting down on top of him.

He did take the dog foe a walk most days. Oh was talking to him one day and asked him about the dog sleeping outside. The man said that the dog would not come into the house but even so he could have provided some kind of shelter for him outside.

are you the dog whisperer lol - you dont really know what dogs 'like best' or whats good for dogs and as others have said all dogs are not the same.

its said that dogs are very faithful - I have seen dogs that have been abused still being faithful to humans, and some have been beaten and still will go up to their owners and wag their tail - that doesnt mean to say that the way they have been treated well - these poor dogs that have been outside in the damp and rain can end up with pneumonia and rheumatism in later life , so I dont agree that its the right things for dogs to be outside like this without ever being allowed into the house.

Yes, I suppose if they are dogs that have been kept outside most of the time they could be classed as 'Dirty' with muddy paws and god knows what parasite and ticks picked up from outside - we have dogs that come into the house they are not dirty, they are always washing, dont pee up stuff, they are a bit smelly and malt quite a bit but I reckon if they could talk they would say they are more contented at being inside in the daytime and at night - they love being outside for walks but sometimes when they are in the garden they have enough, bark then we let them in and they shut up - so maybe their barking is saying 'let us in!'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

have to be careful they dont get stolen

are you the dog whisperer lol - you dont really know what dogs 'like best' or whats good for dogs and as others have said all dogs are not the same.

its said that dogs are very faithful - I have seen dogs that have been abused still being faithful to humans, and some have been beaten and still will go up to their owners and wag their tail - that doesnt mean to say that the way they have been treated well - these poor dogs that have been outside in the damp and rain can end up with pneumonia and rheumatism in later life , so I dont agree that its the right things for dogs to be outside like this without ever being allowed into the house.

Yes, I suppose if they are dogs that have been kept outside most of the time they could be classed as 'Dirty' with muddy paws and god knows what parasite and ticks picked up from outside - we have dogs that come into the house they are not dirty, they are always washing, dont pee up stuff, they are a bit smelly and malt quite a bit but I reckon if they could talk they would say they are more contented at being inside in the daytime and at night - they love being outside for walks but sometimes when they are in the garden they have enough, bark then we let them in and they shut up - so maybe their barking is saying 'let us in!'

Did you read anything after that post? I said the very same thing as the bit in bold an hour ago.

Maybe a new law should be implemented for the half majority of adults in Ireland that purchase a dog to give as a gift, or the other sponge-brained folk that haven't the slightest clue how to look after a dog. A competence test should be included for every person before they can own or bring up a dog. Maybe then the animal shelters won't be full to capacity and also have to destroy some dogs.

A bit of education to the sponges will help it all forward and hopefully extinguish the need for dog rescue centres. Even by half would be good.

It's actually just as bad to treat animals as humans they need different care.

Maybe a new law should be implemented for the half majority of adults in Ireland that purchase a dog to give as a gift, or the other sponge-brained folk that haven't the slightest clue how to look after a dog. A competence test should be included for every person before they can own or bring up a dog. Maybe then the animal shelters won't be full to capacity and also have to destroy some dogs.

A bit of education to the sponges will help it all forward and hopefully extinguish the need for dog rescue centres. Even by half would be good.

I think neutering and only allowing planned breeding would be a good idea in this country.

hopefully extinguish the need for dog rescue centres. Even by half would be good.

By half would be amazing! Actually what would really be amazing is if the extreme nature of some cases were things we didn't see. And if people were sensible about type of pets they can have. Horses are not for the majority too expensive and too much work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

A lot of rescues wont rehome dogs to people who keep them outside.

Advertisement