Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dogs outside all day

Options
  • 13-06-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

whats your view on people owning dog(s) and going out to work all day and leaving them locked up in the back yard - do you think its ok or maybe a form of neglect?

What do you also think about people who 'would never have a dog in the house!'

What do you think when people leave them outside in the freezing cold temperatures or boiling hot temperatures in the back yard .

According to one animal welfare person I talked to once as long as they have fresh water and a kennel/shelter they are not classed as being neglected and the way the law stands nothing can be done - even if the dog(s) continuously bark throughout the day (and sometimes into the night!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Dogs are animals and belong outside. Obviously not locked in some horrid council house back garden though. Having a dog inside all day is as bad as having them on a tiny patch grass outside all day. Dogs belong outside with plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

whats your view on people owning dog(s) and going out to work all day and leaving them locked up in the back yard - do you think its ok or maybe a form of neglect?

What do you think when people leave them outside in the freezing cold temperatures or boiling hot temperatures in the back yard .

According to one animal welfare person I talked to once as long as they have fresh water and a kennel/shelter they are not classed as being neglected and the way the law stands nothing can be done - even if the dog(s) continuously bark throughout the day (and sometimes into the night!)

Some dogs bark a lot when left alone outside and all their neighbours have to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My dog is very much an outdoor dog. She hates being inside. She has a large safe run and is very happy in kt when we are not home and at night. She only barks if strangers appear

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

What do you think when people leave them outside in the freezing cold temperatures or hooking hot temperatures in the back yard .

My dogs are outside every day...played with every day...fed well looked after but refuse to spend more than a few minutes in the house since they were pups. I don't see how its neglect. I would if mine barked for a few minutes find out why....usually it's something unwelcome. Each to their own I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

its a disgrace. i have a neighbour with 3 big dogs that are just left in the back garden day and night in these ****ty crates. sometimes the neighbour is gone for two or three days at a time but nothing can be done because they fill up a big bowl with food and another with water.. dog ownership laws need to be overhauled big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

My dog is very much an outdoor dog. She hates being inside. She has a large safe run and is very happy in kt when we are not home and at night. She only barks if strangers appear

Is the "large safe run"a cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kneemos wrote: »
    Is the "large safe run"a cage?

No. An area of grass and concrete with buildings on 2 sides and railings with gates at either end containing a large kennel. She then has an acre of garden plus our half acre wood to play in when loose in the garden. Plus plenty of walks in the bog and fields beside us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

its a disgrace. i have a neighbour with 3 big dogs that are just left in the back garden day and night in these ****ty crates. sometimes the neighbour is gone for two or three days at a time but nothing can be done because they fill up a big bowl with food and another with water.. dog ownership laws need to be overhauled big time

Those "dog runs"need to be outlawed.The number of dogs I've seen permantly locked up in those those things is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Dog / animal laws got a big overhaul last year.

If they do not have space to move about it is cruel. You can report them to your local animal rescue who can take action and inform the relevant authorised inspectors in the area - inspectors now include some local vets, vetinery officers and animal rescue people and they are authorised to issue fines and to take immediate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

we got a couple of dogs in the area at the moment that bark constantly yep the monotonous bark is annoying - are they barking just for the sake of it? - do they want company? do they bark for food or water? are they too hot/cold?, are they in pain? - who knows? - if there is no owner there to look after them who really knows what they are barking for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A new Animal Welfare Helpline was introduced in 2013, you can call 1850211990 if you are concerned about any animals welfare. Under the old legislation so long as a dog had been provided with food and water there was bugger all that could be done, the rules are very different now, thankfully, still a long way to go but progress none the less.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It's preferable to being left inside the house but it doesn't suit all. Mine would hate it as he likes the comfort of being inside but I feel guilty if I'm gone for a long period because his bladder might be full, at least outside he's free to go to the toilet. So I think outside is better but it's up to him really. That said, leaving them alone for extended periods of time anywhere on a regular basis is really the issue.

Dogs are animals and belong outside...

Animals or pets?

Animals or pets?

Animals Andy.

Animals Andy.

not pets then? ...

not pets then? ...

Well call them what you like but a dog is an animal. They don't belong laid up on your couch all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Seems to me that some dogs like to stay inside, some like outside....just like people!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

I never understand why people have animals that they don't interact with beyond filling a food bowl. Is it some kind of status thing? Are they really so ignorant of an dogs needs that they think leaving them alone for ages without any kind of stimulation/ comfort is OK? Because that's the issue here, not whether the dog is inside/outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I don't have a dog at the minute but I did for years and most likely will again from about this time next year. They'll have an acre of ground to run around, a big kennel, lots of food & water and between a child constantly wanting to play, and running 20 - 30 mile a week with me they should have plenty of exercise.

They won't ever get into the house because in my opinion animals belong outside. They'll be home alone 3 or 4 days a week for about 10 hours each day. They'll be on guard duty.

I don't see how that would count as neglect.

im no expert on this and maybe what im saying is bull - but I think I can tell a different temperament in dogs that have been left out all day and no/not much human intervention bar from a bowl of water and food, to a dog that is allowed in the house , allowed to play and interact with humans apart from anything their coats are better and their general health is better than dogs that never are allowed to come inside to the house and are left in the back yard or left to roam the streets - I think 'outside' dogs viewed as animals or working dogs can be more viscious and unpredictible than dogs that are treated as pets not animals and that are allowed inside the house with loads of human interaction and stroking and curling up in front of the fire ect - anyone agree with me?

• Advertisement

im no expert on this and maybe what im saying is bull - but I think I can tell a different temperament in dogs that have been left out all day and no/not much human intervention bar from a bowl of water and food, to a dog that is allowed in the house , allowed to play and interact with humans apart from anything their coats are better and their general health is better than dogs that never are allowed to come inside to the house and are left in the back yard or left to roam the streets - I think 'outside' dogs viewed as animals or working dogs can be more viscious and unpredictible than dogs that are treated as pets not animals and that are allowed inside the house with loads of human interaction and stroking and curling up in front of the fire ect - anyone agree with me?

You were right in your first sentence, what you're saying is bull.

Outside dogs can get played with and petted a lot too, they also have more freedom to run around rather than being cooped up inside. Good quality food, lots of exercise, regular grooming and still getting plenty if attention surely leaves them healthy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Plenty of outside dogs are great pets with great temperaments. your mixing up outside dogs with neglected dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Unfortunately OP, There are many folk out there that haven't a clue or a nanometre of intelligence in how to look after a dog. Some say that the dog is just an animal and it doesn't know any better either way, of course this is totally untrue, especially when you have been brought up with dogs all of your life and then understand their intelligence and needs.

To answer your questions... I don't personally associate myself with these kind of people.

Leaving a dog in the garden all day with no exercise or anything to occupy itself with is actually cruel imo. They have needs just like a person does.

Leaving a dog in the garden all day with no exercise or anything to occupy itself with is actually cruel imo. They have needs just like a person does.

How on earth does a dog having an acre of ground to run around in mean it's getting no exercise? If it gets an extra 5 mile run that evening surely that's enough exercise for any dog.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    How on earth does a dog having an acre of ground to run around in mean it's getting no exercise? If it gets an extra 5 mile run that evening surely that's enough exercise for any dog.

That's a different story altogether lol, I mean left out all day in a tiny back garden. I should have made myself more clearer. There's absolutely nothing bad about what you are doing, that's great for the dogs, a nice huge space to run around in.

That's a different story altogether lol, I mean left out all day in a tiny back garden. I should have made myself more clearer.

Well that makes more sense, I hate to see big dogs living in towns with tiny gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swanley

There's a happy medium to be found, especially in colder months. You wouldn't want them to catch something nasty like Pneumono­ultra­microscopic­silico­volcano­coniosis or the flu or something.

ive seen plenty of dogs have a large area to run - it doesnt mean they will - sometimes they need a human there / human interaction to get them to run /exercise / play with

I know you say theres a kennel where you are but when we get back to - degrees centigrade temperatures will it still be OK to keep dogs outside in that? I know they got coats to keep them warm but still ...

Well that makes more sense, I hate to see big dogs living in towns with tiny gardens.

I see it all the time where I'm from in Swords County Dublin, very tiny gardens in this estate, and you can hear the dogs whining all night, the poor fellers are left out all day and night and just used as a gaurd-dog.

Plenty of assholes around this place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Depends on the dog. I used to leave my dog outside when I went to work, for a few months, then my neighbours told me she was barking and barking. Started leaving her inside, checked with the neighbours and they said no barks from inside. She just felt insecure and scared outside. Lots of other dogs are happier outside.

The one thing dogs absolutely do need is interaction with their humans. A walk is important - the dog gets to sniff the social life of the area and mark its territory; I think dogs look on this as kind of "the hunt". Even a short walk is better than no walk. (It's good for humans too, especially if you can walk by water.) And every dog should be petted comprehensively at least once a day, with plenty of stroking around the head and neck in a calm, kind way. And play, of course.

Advertisement