Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Suckit wrote: »
    They may be still on sale in a few other places. I didn't double check these to see EU shipping or check code.

https://www.joybuy.com/650789729.html

Code (may only work in Hong Kong store) TVBOXMI
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html

Thanks Suckit....is the xiaomi mi box still the most recommended Android box at the minute (except the shield)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Has anyone used a Mi box or similar to stream Steam games off a PC ?
    If so how did it perform ?
    What controllers could you use ?
    (budget doesn't stretch to a Shield)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

neacy69 wrote: »
    Thanks Suckit....is the xiaomi mi box still the most recommended Android box at the minute (except the shield)?

Hard to say... Budget accounts for a lot of it, and how you plan to use it.

I like the Mi box but also many of the boxes with decent hardware and firmware for less.
    But yes, I think the rule of thumb seems to be
    Around €50 -> Mi Box
    Around €100 -> Formuler z7+
    Around €150+ -> Nvidia Shield

With a few falling between the Formuler and Nvidia (Minix mentioned a lot in these threads).

Formuler is mainly for IPTV subscriptions, but the hardware is good all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hard to say... Budget accounts for a lot of it, and how you plan to use it.

I like the Mi box but also many of the boxes with decent hardware and firmware for less.
    But yes, I think the rule of thumb seems to be
    Around €50 -> Mi Box
    Around €100 -> Formuler z7+
    Around €150+ -> Nvidia Shield

With a few falling between the Formuler and Nvidia (Minix mentioned a lot in these threads).

Formuler is mainly for IPTV subscriptions, but the hardware is good all round.

Suckit
    Can u recommend an android TV box. I've used a mi box but want one with ethernet port.
    I'll be using smart iptv app on it and a few other apps.
    I have a z7+ but looking for something for bedroom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

neacy69 wrote: »
    My trusty m8S box also seems to be giving me a bit of hassle lately....constantly buffering or dropping sources on the app that looks like an old tv.....thinking of a xiaomi box - where/what is the best to buy now? ....dont think i need a shield as i wont be playing games

why dont you try a different app and change input format if that is possible

with an m8s u might try a firmware ota update or load a Rom from the net either

• Advertisement

iggy wrote: »
    Suckit
    Can u recommend an android TV box. I've used a mi box but want one with ethernet port.
    I'll be using smart iptv app on it and a few other apps.
    I have a z7+ but looking for something for bedroom.

Here is a list of most of the OEM AndroidTV devices certified by Google (Not all of them are listed here)
    https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/oem?authuser=0

Both of these run AndroidTV and have ethernet ports.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Nexbox-A95X-Pro-2GB-16GB-S905W-TV-BOX-396064.html
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-S905W-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-with-Voice-Control-391693.html

The Mecool comes with STBEmu preinstalled. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it is their own, or one of the well known ones.

I have had the A95X in passing and found it very smooth, played everything you would expect but I never got the chance to try Netflix on it, although they do make a point of mentioning Netflix HD a lot, so I (shouldn't) guess that it does.
    Both mention that they have OTA firmware update support.

Amlogic chips from now on will support TVOS ( as AndroidTV) and they will not be supporting "Normal Android" anymore, so there should be a lot more coming out. There is probably already a lot more we just haven't seen yet as the market was saturated, loads got smothered, like the rippl tv and the mygica etc.

Edited - Some Geekbuying codes for local warehouse or sitewide (I didn't try them) https://www.retailmenot.ca/coupons/geekbuying.com?c=9056910

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Looking at replacing a broken box, those two boxes look good.

Anything make one or other standout more?

I guess from quick look its pick Poland to dispatch from as others are almost the same price of box to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

jeffk wrote: »

I guess from quick look its pick Poland to dispatch from as others are almost the same price of box to post?

I just bought the A95x from suckit link above.
    I chose Italy warehouse and total came to €41 delivered

iggy wrote: »
    I just bought the A95x from suckit link above.
    I chose Italy warehouse and total came to €41 delivered

Any reason for that one?

I know of a seller who sells the Mecool, so his schilling is the only feedback I have on it

Between these two, I couldn't really say as I haven't really looked at he Mecool at all. Barely glanced over it. Saying that, I think Mecool pay devs to support it on different forums like droidbox or freaktab and others.
    The A95X seemed a great box and they also have a pretty good name.

http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/mid_year_sale_get_200usd_coupon?pmrm=site-center-banner

There are a few promotions running at the moment for Geekbuying, Depending on the bundle and the Warehouse it may work cheaper (and with the coupons a few posts above).

• Advertisement

Between these two, I couldn't really say as I haven't really looked at he Mecool at all. Barely glanced over it. Saying that, I think Mecool pay devs to support it on different forums like droidbox or freaktab and others.
    The A95X seemed a great box and they also have a pretty good name.

http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/mid_year_sale_get_200usd_coupon?pmrm=site-center-banner

There are a few promotions running at the moment for Geekbuying, Depending on the bundle and the Warehouse it may work cheaper (and with the coupons a few posts above).

Cool thanks, dont really want to go pay silly money as broke X96 myself(putting a rom on it and dont want to pay 10 for AtoA cable to maybe fix 25 box)

Edit

Went with Mecool as it has more USB ports, only two on A95X and one taken up by remote, so I would have to buy a USB hub as need to connect hard drive and then remote with keypad for typing etc

Cool thanks, dont really want to go pay silly money as broke X96 myself(putting a rom on it and dont want to pay 10 for AtoA cable to maybe fix 25 box)

Think Ill go with this box, dont like the idea of buying reviews or positive posts etc

Sorry, didn't mean reviews and positive posts (they all do that).
    I meant firmware and some support.
    Looking at the Mecool on Freaktab, it looks like it is the Nexus rom being used for it. But I don't know for sure, only glanced at it there. I think it is the same Rom.
    Freaktab Thread

Pure Nexus Project

Sorry, didn't mean reviews and positive posts (they all do that).
    I meant firmware and some support.
    Looking at the Mecool on Freaktab, it looks like it is the Nexus rom being used for it. But I don't know for sure, only glanced at it there. I think it is the same Rom.
    Freaktab Thread

Pure Nexus Project

Ah I see

I usually go Libreelece or Coreelec using the Sd card method, then worse case turn it off, take out the card and back to stock and stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can anyone guide me on updating Libre Elec from 16.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone with a KIII Pro recommend it?

I wasnt to upgrade and combine my Wetek Play and my Minix x8. The KIII Pro looks like a good compromise!

Would also appreciate the best place to buy from, dont mind waiting a couple of weeks as not in a rush.

Thanks.

dahat wrote:
    Can anyone guide me on updating Libre Elec from 16.1?

It should auto update

Did you install it yourself?

It should auto update

Did you install it yourself?

It came pre installed on a box and was the last build before auto update was standard.

I have tried to log into the box via laptop but I can't for some reason, I've used this method on other boxes to update them.

dahat wrote:
    I have tried to log into the box via laptop but I can't for some reason, I've used this method on other boxes to update them.

I only use sd card method and was using Corelec

Maybe try that and you know you always have working os on the box as backup

Better than trying to write a new rom etc and it could go wrong and left with no box

I only use sd card method and was using Corelec

Maybe try that and you know you always have working os on the box as backup

Better than trying to write a new rom etc and it could go wrong and left with no box

Download to sd and go from there? Just pop it in and see if it works?

dahat wrote: »
    Download to sd and go from there? Just pop it in and see if it works?

https://discourse.coreelec.org/latest

Files and information there

General idea

Unplug box
    Get IMG file for the chipset
    Burn to sd using librelec tool
    Put into box
    Hold on reset button(usually inside av port) with toothpick
    Plug in box
    Hopefully see Corelec logo

Sounds a lot but you get the hang of it

• Advertisement

Looking again at the mecool and if it's the one with voice remote then you lose one of the two USB ports(looking at first, looked like had 4 ports) for the remote.

Maybe the voice search will replace need for keyboard.

That's must be the new thing with not having IR remotes, suppose its going down Bluetooth route too put behind TV etc like sky do now.

On the x96 mini they had a second ir sensor on a long wire that I stuck on the bottom of tv as front of box blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

I've been looking at the T95z plus for an age and want to buy an android tv box and get it setup over the next couple of weeks.
    Been looking at this T95Z plus one of the main reasons was it has an ethernet port I hate the thought of using wifi when I have a router right next to it. any thoughts or recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Never see any of u mention the h96 pro plus or max? Is there any reason for never been mentioned or are they just not as popular as I thought?

I use the max 4gb model and have set up alot of the pro plus 3gb models and for the money I find them great but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

branners69 wrote: »
    Anyone with a KIII Pro recommend it?
    I wasnt to upgrade and combine my Wetek Play and my Minix x8. The KIII Pro looks like a good compromise!
    It looked great to me. it had the DVB tuners that a Wetek Play has and it has the Android side that a Minix has. But, on further investigation, from what i could find is that the version of Android is not the official version, so forget getting access to all the apps in the Google Play Store, forget an up to date Netflix app. Yes, you get access to the Play Store, but the play store doesn't recognise your device as being compatible with most of its apps.

In the end, I took a punt on the Ferguson Arriva 4k Combi. Unlike the Wetek play, this, as the name suggests, includes both DVB-S and DVB-T2 tuners simultaneously - so i have all my free-to-air satellite and saorview channels. Furthermore, i can switch to Android ( albeit version 5.1.1 lollipop) where a version of Netflix is preinstalled (and can't be updated because if it is it will no longer work). Kodi is also preinstalled - version 17 i believe. I bought it from Amazon Warehouse (germany) for about EUR 90 delivered.

Overall opinion of the box (6.5/10). It's not as easy to navigate through the Android interface as say your typical Sky TV interface or a ROKU box. The Netflix app - well the picture quality is not ....well it's a bit pixelated on a 50-inch tv. As for the DVB tuners, the reception on these is top notch, though the EPG is not near as good as you get on a sky box, nor can you do series-link like a sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

@D'Peoples Voice
    Thanks for the reply, I believe superceleron over on Freaktab has done a rom with "Normal Android" on it. He also has a Android TV version. Wetek let him use some of their software so his rom could be interesting.

I used to have a Ferguson the interface left a lot to be desired! I might chance the Kiii Pro. Thanks again for the reply.

Anyone any experience with Geekbuying?

4 Days since ordering and still processing, Id have hoped/thought be en route by now

4 Days since ordering and still processing, Id have hoped/thought be en route by now

Did you order from Europe?

I have used them for a few items. If ordered from EU Warehouse, I think it takes 3-5 working days to arrive.
    It may be en route and not have updated tracking yet.

Did you order from Europe?

I have used them for a few items. If ordered from EU Warehouse, I think it takes 3-5 working days to arrive.
    It may be en route and not have updated tracking yet.

Yeah from Poland

I think it was a day or two processing payment then its payment complete and onto processing order

Hopefully it is and just not updated as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Geekbuying are fine. You'll get it eventually.

• Advertisement

Just got email, 2 to 7 days and be here :)

Advertisement