Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If the budget is low then I dont think you will get better than Mi Box .Around 50 quid.

A refurbished Fire TV can often be got for around 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If there is still time to cancel the order from Amazon, I'd agree with yabadabado the Mi Box is on sale in many places now too.
    €48 from Joybuy using the coupon - https://www.joybuy.com/650789726.html
    Or from Italy/Germany/Spain for €57
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-387938.html
    €48 with code - TVBOXMI
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html

The reason for the issues with the other box might have been the firmware. What box was it? Do you still have it? You could flash it.

I bought this from China over a month ago for $34 and it arrived last week. It is very smooth and so far no issue, but I haven't used it a lot yet. So far it is a great box (Germany and Italy available now for €39).
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Nexbox-A95X-Pro-2GB-16GB-S905W-TV-BOX-398206.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I'm stuck with the pro plus now

Do these boxes.need to be turned off when not in use or is there a sleep mode on them?

Mikenesson wrote: »

Do these boxes.need to be turned off when not in use or is there a sleep mode on them?

If Amazon haven't dispatched it yet you could cancel.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If Amazon haven't dispatched it yet you could cancel.

I'm paying with gift card so no point,can't buy anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm using the pro plus I've no problem with it. I only use it for a handful of apps and stb emu and it's fine. The remote that comes with it ain't the best as with most android boxs but I have a good usb air remote.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm using the pro plus I've no problem with it. I only use it for a handful of apps and stb emu and it's fine. The remote that comes with it ain't the best as with most android boxs but I have a good usb air remote.

Did you make any changes to the box like a new rom or cooling?

Do you switch it off or leave it on 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have one of these boxes, working fine no issues with it.

I usually disconnect the adapter. Dont trust these boxes to be powered when I am not around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

yabadabado wrote: »
    If the budget is low then I dont think you will get better than Mi Box .Around 50 quid.

I would not recommend a Mi box - very limited box, poor user options, no Ethernet connection, only one USB connection, terrible picture quality and more.... From my experience, it's either the Shield or a new Minix - by far and away the best performing and most user friendly boxes on the market, nothing else comes close.

As for the rest of the cheap boxes being mentioned here, as has been stated before, you get what you pay for and it's no surprise to see so many people having issues with the cheap boxes. Better to save and buy once to get a proper box that works, than buy cheap and buy thrice while getting a box that might not even work at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nope no changes whatsoever it's in a tv unit beside the Xbox so probably not the coolest. I just put it on stand by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

BandMember wrote: »
    I would not recommend a Mi box - very limited box, poor user options, no Ethernet connection, only one USB connection, terrible picture quality and more.... From my experience, it's either the Shield or a new Minix - by far and away the best performing and most user friendly boxes on the market, nothing else comes close.

As for the rest of the cheap boxes being mentioned here, as has been stated before, you get what you pay for and it's no surprise to see so many people having issues with the cheap boxes. Better to save and buy once to get a proper box that works, than buy cheap and buy thrice while getting a box that might not even work at all....

I find the Fire TV 4K has excellent picture quality too and costs a lot less .

What poor user options ?
    Have no complaints about picture quality,no ethernet hasnt been an issue, wifi is getting very good speeds.
    One USB is fine for the needs of the people I have set up.

I genuinely don't think there is a better cheap box and OP has said he was on a budget. €50 very well spent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭sioda

Have to disagree as well great box. Android TV versus some other boxes with poor implementation. Simple side load for apps. Usually wire all my gear but no need and with a bit of tinkering works with my harmony remote. Have had 3 boxes before this one would only go shield from here but the money gap it's not worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

I have had this box for the over 6 months and have no issues. It's great entertainment for very little money.

But like others have said I do not trust the PSU so I pull the plug when not using it. My brother had the same unit and his PSU failed.

Best of luck with it.

No issues with the pro plus either, just thought the Mi Box may have been an option if you still had the choice.
    As for the PSU, It is recommended to switch them off at night and power off the socket or remove it.
    I also use a travel adaptor from Dealz with it, as it has a fuse. Many of the Chinese boxes don't have fused plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Have a MiBox, absolutely brillant so far, I normally use wifi but recently used an ethernet cable via USB....both work perfect....

Picture quality perfect.

I'm setting sleep mode on my h96 pro+

Do you come out of sleep mode by pressing any button or do you have to press power?

Also will sleep mode activate while a movie is playing?

Thanks

So, now my Mi Box has decided not to recognise my air mouse anymore! Just another problem to add to the list.... :rolleyes:

It's not the batteries (I've checked) nor the airmouse (tried it in a different device), so I have no idea what the story is!

So, now my Mi Box has decided not to recognise my air mouse anymore! Just another problem to add to the list.... :rolleyes:

It's not the batteries (I've checked) nor the airmouse (tried it in a different device), so I have no idea what the story is!

Try disabling USB debugging.

Suckit wrote: »
    Try disabling USB debugging.

Thanks for the heads up, but forgive my ignorance - where would I find that?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up, but forgive my ignorance - where would I find that?

Sorry I could not login to boards earlier to reply for some weird reason.

You may have to enable developer options first by going to:
    Settings -> About -> Build
    Click it 7 times until you see the message that says congratulations you're a developer

Then go to:
    Settings -> Developer options -> Debugging -> USB debugging

Sorry I could not login to boards earlier to reply for some weird reason.

You may have to enable developer options first by going to:
    Settings -> About -> Build
    Click it 7 times until you see the message that says congratulations you're a developer

Then go to:
    Settings -> Developer options -> Debugging -> USB debugging

Thanks for that. I tried it and set the USB Debugging to on, but still no joy I'm afraid... :(

Thanks for that. I tried it and set the USB Debugging to on, but still no joy I'm afraid... :(

Is it just in the Xiaomi Launcher or in every app e.g. Kodi?

Did it start happening after the Oreo update, and which air mouse is it?

Is it just in the Xiaomi Launcher or in every app e.g. Kodi?

Did it start happening after the Oreo update?

It's not picking it up at all, even on the home screen.

I haven't received an Oreo update on my Mi box, as far as I am aware?? :confused:

It's not picking it up at all, even on the home screen.

I haven't received an Oreo update on my Mi box, as far as I am aware?? :confused:

I meant to add/ask which air mouse is it.

Oreo update should be soon I think it started rolling out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

I have the exact same problem.My airmouse came with the box.It's a H1 Backlight Keyboard.I updated to Oreo and I have this problem since.
    I can't remember if it worked for a short time after update.I charged the remote thinking that was the problem but it made no difference.The original remote still works.

I meant to add/ask which air mouse is it.

Oreo update should be soon I think it started rolling out yesterday.

I've attached a picture of the airmouse that I have.

Just curious, what difference does it make? Is Oreo going to permanently block the option of an air mouse on all boxes or it is going to help add air mouses to the boxes?

Do ye use the airmouse much with ATV ?

I have one but don't know the last time I used it,bar initial set up is there any use for it ?

I've attached a picture of the airmouse that I have.

Just curious, what difference does it make? Is Oreo going to permanently block the option of an air mouse on all boxes or it is going to help add air mouses to the boxes?

I used to be the not so happy owner of one of those ,they're not great

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zedo-2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-Android/dp/B06XJMK1G2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530118588&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=air+mouse+for+android+tv+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41goFcTIkfL&ref=plSrch

Have one of these now ,much better

• Advertisement

I used to be the not so happy owner of one of those ,they're not great

Well, that's where we'll have to disagree I'm afraid - I've had mine for years and never had an issue with it until the other day when my Mi Box starting acting up..... Just to clear on this: the mouse is still working perfectly, it's the box that is the issue here.

P.S. Just installing Oreo now, so it wasn't that which caused the issue. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions, please? :confused:

Advertisement