Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yabadabado wrote: »
    Not a bit of a waste buying an android for FTA/Saorview/Freesat.

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Autochange wrote: »
    What is the illegal discussion as mentioned in the heading?

How to get free live PAID TV. Of course getting free live TV is not illegal, but who wants that, everyone wants the paid stuff which we can't talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

batistuta9 wrote: »
    why?

Is it not a lot more hassle to set up compared to a sat box and saorview
    I have a cheap Edision box and Play tv tuner in a bedroom for free tv. I could be wrong but always thought it was a lot messier to use android box if you just wanted free to air tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I have a cheap Edision box and Play tv tuner in a bedroom for free tv. I could be wrong but always thought it was a lot messier to use android box if you just wanted free to air tv.

Totally agree, I have vu plus for my fta and other stuff then the h96 max in the bedroom for just the other stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

I would absolutely love a good android box that had saorview, freeview and the netflix/youtube apps like that of the Nvidia Shield. If the shield had that it would be the perfect box! Having to switch between sat box with free channels and android box is a bit of a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How to get free live PAID TV. Of course getting free live TV is not illegal, but who wants that, everyone wants the paid stuff which we can't talk about.

What about Elevensports?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Looks everyone.

I think everyone know exactly what discussion is not allowed.

Throwing up random channels that might or might not be free to air is gaining what exactly?

Google and you will find plenty of website to discuss those topics. It has always been banned to discuss on boards

What about Elevensports?:confused:

What about them?
    They are a paid subscription service so no issues once you pay them for their sub.

I would absolutely love a good android box that had saorview, freeview and the netflix/youtube apps like that of the Nvidia Shield. If the shield had that it would be the perfect box! Having to switch between sat box with free channels and android box is a bit of a pain

You already can watch live TV on the Shield. If you have a Linux sat box running Enigma 2 you can use openwebif to stream to the Shield and use the Dream Player app or Kodi to connect to the stream and even change channel. It's a little clunky though, not as clean as Enigma 2 on the sat box, but it can get you going in another room, I wouldn't like to be using it as my main TV source though.

i don't think so, the boxes with tuners have apps that should be easy to set up. how good the apps are is another thing

i use libreelec & tvheadend, there's a bit of setup involved with that but no more hassle than a linux sat box. probably not for everyone though, bit of hassle like you say with both those

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Looks everyone.

Throwing up random channels that might or might not be free to air is gaining what exactly?

Google and you will find plenty of website to discuss those topics. It has always been banned to discuss on boards

it's showing a legal way to use the boxes, discussion that's allowed.

i don't see the problem, it'll give people an idea what you can do with the boxes.
    you'd hardly tell people don't be talking about netflix here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Looks everyone.

Look everyone yourself!
    Less of the preaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

I have been playing with a Mecool Kiii Pro box running custom firmware. It does what you require Saorview, Free to Air, Plex and Netflix etc.

First thoughts, it is handy having everything in one box. It has 3gb of ram so has handled everything I have thrown at it. The cfw Weos launcher is excellent, looks like Android TV but fully customisable.

The bad, Free to Air only does now and next on the epg so pretty useless. You can record to an external harddrive but with no series links who would be bothered. Saorview has a full epg.

Another problem with the satellite channels is that the Channel Editor on your PC won't work with the Kiii Pro. So you manually have to delete the channels you don't want with the remote, bit of a pain as it works on Ki and Kii.

So far I would definitely recommend the box, once you are happy and have the time to mess with it a bit!

branners69 wrote: »
    The bad, Free to Air only does now and next on the epg so pretty useless. You can record to an external harddrive but with no series links who would be bothered. Saorview has a full epg.

Have a Google. There's a working version of CrossEPG for Android. This is the plugin for Enigma satellite boxes that pulls down the Sky EPG, unencrypts it and saves it locally. They had it working on the Amiko Alien 3 which runs Android. There must be versions floating about, I'm sure it's further developed now, that was 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

branners69 wrote: »
    I have been playing with a Mecool Kiii Pro box running custom firmware. It does what you require Saorview, Free to Air, Plex and Netflix etc.

First thoughts, it is handy having everything in one box. It has 3gb of ram so has handled everything I have thrown at it. The cfw Weos launcher is excellent, looks like Android TV but fully customisable.

Another problem with the satellite channels is that the Channel Editor on your PC won't work with the Kiii Pro. So you manually have to delete the channels you don't want with the remote, bit of a pain as it works on Ki and Kii.

So far I would definitely recommend the box, once you are happy and have the time to mess with it a bit!

Thanks for all that. But I'm wondering if a dedicated combo sat box that can run android and Plex not be better/more powerful and easier to navigate and use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

iba wrote: »
    Thanks for all that. But I'm wondering if a dedicated combo sat box that can run android and Plex not be better/more powerful and easier to navigate and use?

The KIII pro and previous versions are a combo sat box (depending on the tuner).

Formuler have a few too. The newest is the S Turbo I think. Very easy to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

Suckit wrote: »
    The KIII pro and previous versions are a combo sat box (depending on the tuner).

lots of sellers are selling them on ebay, amz and local site

Formuler have a few too. The newest is the S Turbo I think. Very easy to navigate.

forumler are getting really popular now a days coz of the IPTV app on them

now recently i have seen Formuler s mini hybrid with sat tuner + Android

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Formuler-S-Mini-Android-7-0-HEVC-H-265-4K-Ultra-HD-Satellite-IPTV-Receiver-/261181075751

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Formuler-Mini-Android-H-265-Receiver/dp/B076B5V4XT

https://zteck.ie/product/formuler-s-mini-android-4k-uhd-dvb-s2-ott-iptv-set-up-box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

I am replacing a Minix U1 for Android and a Wetek Play for TV, which was grand but a pain having to swop out the satellite module for the cable module.

I wanted a powerful Android box for apps etc rather than a powerful Sat box as I very rarely watch live TV, just rugby and GAA.

I also looked at the Formuler boxes but I dont believe they can do Saorview and Sat at the same time?

I will look into The High Horse Brigade suggestion, would be a lot more potential for the box if the epg could be sorted.

I just put up my opinions in case someone else is out there like me :) If you rarely watch live TV (but want the option) and are more of an Android heavy user this is a must of a box to try!

I've read good things about the Formuler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I've read good things about the Formuler.

Yeah, they're good.

The same as AVOV a year+ ago, just a more complete article.

The Nano is basically for IPTV and allows you to install two apps. For simplicity and keeps things neat too.
    The Z7+ is the full android box with their market and google play store, so you can install anything if you like playing around.
    The S Turbo is with tuner. Mix DVB-S2, T and IPTV with Android apps.

All have a stalker middleware client, and add a USB key and you have timeshift (pause, rewind, fast forward, slow motion) and record. S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

No hate, if you had issues then you have a valid reason for disliking the box. Your setup should be something people are aware of, If they have a similar setup then they could find that they have similar conflicts. You could prevent that.

But..... I would promote a Z7+ over a Minix for many reasons, one being that they are also cheaper.
    I was reluctant to go with the Formuler for a lot of reasons (mainly Avov and TVOnline), and I said so (incorrectly) on these forums. But they are decent, and definitely outshine any Minix (which are also good, but overpriced).
    They are not the greatest or best, but if you want to pay that much, and it was a choice between the two..
    There are versions available with tuners too. Or minimal apps. But if you prefer having play store and markets etc. Then the Z7+.

Ok, so, here are some of the many issues that I encountered with the Mi Box:

- can't run live tv on Kodi as it constantly lags. However, the same set up works fine on other devices.
    - had to install SPMC to run live tv, but, as SPMC is no longer being developed and is not a mirror of Kodi 17, most add ons are not compatible so I have to keep switching between the two apps, depending on what I want to watch.
    - randomly pauses streams for no reason.
    - randomly boots me out of streams for no reason.
    - randomly boots me out of a stream and Kodi altother at the same time with the screensaver popping up immediately.
    - can only use the supplied remote (which is rubbish) as other remotes are not supported via USB.
    - when watching live tv through a dedicated stand alone app, if you change the channels a couple of times the sound gets completely garbled (like they are talking underwater or down a bad telephone line). So, I have to close down everything, clear all caches (even though there wouldn't be much there as I would clear it regularly) and restart the box. Extremely annoying.

There's more as well, but I can't type them all....

Just on the Minix, as I've repeatedly endlessly on this thread, you get what you pay for and my Minix boxes worked like trojans for years without any problems and still do - they were worth every cent!

However, I cannot say the same about the Mi Box. Really don't get the love for them here, my experience of them has been a nightmare and a complete waste of money. But hey, you live and you learn.... :)

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, so, here are some of the many issues that I encountered with the Mi Box:

- can't run live tv on Kodi as it constantly lags. However, the same set up works fine on other devices.
    - had to install SPMC to run live tv, but, as SPMC is no longer being developed and is not a mirror of Kodi 17, most add ons are not compatible so I have to keep switching between the two apps, depending on what I want to watch.
    - randomly pauses streams for no reason.
    - randomly boots me out of streams for no reason.
    - randomly boots me out of a stream and Kodi altother at the same time with the screensaver popping up immediately.
    - can only use the supplied remote (which is rubbish) as other remotes are not supported via USB.
    - when watching live tv through a dedicated stand alone app, if you change the channels a couple of times the sound gets completely garbled (like they are talking underwater or down a bad telephone line). So, I have to close down everything, clear all caches (even though there wouldn't be much there as I would clear it regularly) and restart the box. Extremely annoying.

There's more as well, but I can't type them all....

Just on the Minix, as I've repeatedly endlessly on this thread, you get what you pay for and my Minix boxes worked like trojans for years without any problems and still do - they were worth every cent!

However, I cannot say the same about the Mi Box. Really don't get the love for them here, my experience of them has been a nightmare and a complete waste of money. But hey, you live and you learn.... :)

Hi,

Just for a balanced view. I don't use Kodi, but other apps I use work flawlessly on this box. I use Plex all the time and it works great. And my harmony remote works with the box

Regards

Same as that ,no issues with IPTV,movie apps etc I have on the Mi Box.

I think the remote is fine,it's basic but works perfectly.

I would have no problem recommending a Mi Box to anyone looking for a low cost android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

Same as that ,no issues with IPTV,movie apps etc I have on the Mi Box.

I think the remote is fine,it's basic but works perfectly.

I would have no problem recommending a Mi Box to anyone looking for a low cost android box.

The majority of poster's cant be wrong!
    After having M8,M8+,Tronsmart & H96 pro+, id have to say this is the most reliable/polished unit of them all. The Mi box will receive updates, unlike the others.
    Suppose we'll have to accept, nothing compares to minix boxes ;-)

One thing I have noticed on the Mi box. It eats batteries.

Also if you have a habit of walking around with remote and walk out of the room, it seems to forget the remote so if you walk back in, even if only out for 10 seconds, you need to resync the remote. Nothing major but a bit of a pain

Especially if you have a 1 year old who eats remotes like biscuits so either you put in pocket or some back to it covered in drooooollllllllll

One thing I have noticed on the Mi box. It eats batteries.

Also if you have a habit of walking around with remote and walk out of the room, it seems to forget the remote so if you walk back in, even if only out for 10 seconds, you need to resync the remote. Nothing major but a bit of a pain

Especially if you have a 1 year old who eats remotes like biscuits so either you put in pocket or some back to it covered in drooooollllllllll

Are you using decent quality batteries?I was using cheap one's with the Shield and they didn't last at all.Massive difference when I bought duracell.

The syncing is an odd one ,I cant say I've had that problem but may not be taking remote control to far away with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

hi all i have a blink 2g rom 16 g ram android box, some programs are greenish in colour, i am thinking of replacing it with either the blink with 3g rom or the -Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box, which does the experts on here recomend, something else perhaps, edit again, box has to be hardwired, its too far from the modem for effective wifi

You can buy a ethernet adaptor for Mi Box if you are really want it.About €10/15.

Depends on what you want from a box?
    IPTV, Netflix, gaming etc ?

Are you using decent quality batteries?I was using cheap one's with the Shield and they didn't last at all.Massive difference when I bought duracell.

The syncing is an odd one ,I cant say I've had that problem but may not be taking remote control to far away with me.

Was using Ikea finest but put in duracell now so will see how it lasts.....

The sync is not really a issue....just a small annoyance

I never noticed till recently as my other kids have no interest in remote, just our little one cannot leave them alone so you either carry it or hide it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

You can buy a ethernet adaptor for Mi Box if you are really want it.About €10/15.

Depends on what you want from a box?
    IPTV, Netflix, gaming etc ?
    iptv covers itthanks for the tip as regards the adaptor, as i am useless at tech stuff

Advertisement