Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

BandMember wrote: »
    I know that I'll get abuse for saying this, but I really would not recommend that you go for a Mi box. I had so many problems with mine, it could not do anything without having issues....so many, many issues... It never worked right at all and in the end I just threw it in the bin. Never had any of these problems with my old Minix, and ended up going back to using it as a spare box. A complete waste of money in my opinion. Pay the extra and get yourself a decent box - you'll save yourself a lot of frustration in the long run....

Bring it on the hate! :P :pac:

I appreciate the input. I’ve had a camel price alert on the u1 for the last year but just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m finally getting rid of virgin telly as they’ve lost a bunch of channels and I’ve just started looking into options again. I’ve a load of xiaomi devices already and the general good feedback has led me to bump the mi box to top of the list. I don’t like that it’s wifi only but it will live about 8 inches away it’s wireless source so shouldn’t be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

theteal wrote: »
    I appreciate the input. I’ve had a camel price alert on the u1 for the last year but just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m finally getting rid of virgin telly as they’ve lost a bunch of channels and I’ve just started looking into options again. I’ve a load of xiaomi devices already and the general good feedback has led me to bump the mi box to top of the list. I don’t like that it’s wifi only but it will live about 8 inches away it’s wireless source so shouldn’t be an issue.

Couple the box with FTA satellite and all your TV needs are sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BandMember wrote: »
    I know that I'll get abuse for saying this, but I really would not recommend that you go for a Mi box. I had so many problems with mine, it could not do anything without having issues....so many, many issues... It never worked right at all and in the end I just threw it in the bin. Never had any of these problems with my old Minix, and ended up going back to using it as a spare box. A complete waste of money in my opinion. Pay the extra and get yourself a decent box - you'll save yourself a lot of frustration in the long run....

Bring it on the hate! :P :pac:

No hate....I had a Minix and loved it as well....

I got the MiBox and it has worked perfect for it. The wifi is good on it, only issue I have found is that I tried to use a USB ethernet adapter and the speed decreased instead of increasing, so I have to leave on wifi all the time.....

Not a huge issue as it works fine, I just thought the direct connect would make it better.

Suppose with any box you could get good and bad, I got the good thank god. I remember the original Minix I had, firmware issues went on for months till they finally fixed and then it was a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Couple the box with FTA satellite and all your TV needs are sorted.

A bit of a pain in that the house we bought doesn't have a dish in place and I've to figure how I'm going to route cables to where the telly lives for when I do get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Where is the best price on a H96 Pro Plus at the moment?

I am going to buy my second one - any posters who can see my previous comments here, I got one, didn't open it until 6 months after I bought it and may have fried it on my first go using another plug.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Where is the best price on a H96 Pro Plus at the moment?

I am going to buy my second one - any posters who can see my previous comments here, I got one, didn't open it until 6 months after I bought it and may have fried it on my first go using another plug.

Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Amlogic-Support-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B073JD8621

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Suckit wrote: »

I got the one with 3gb, would highly recommend it. It is better than my Minix U1.

Am looking at picking up a Kiii Pro which comes with sat and cable connections for Freesat and Saorview. Hopefully will be handy to have all in one device.

Also the Kiii Pro and H96 have additional roms available which is very handy to change from Android TV to normal android without the bloatware. I wouldnt buy a box that didnt have this additional support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

branners69 wrote: »
    I got the one with 3gb, would highly recommend it. It is better than my Minix U1.

Am looking at picking up a Kiii Pro which comes with sat and cable connections for Freesat and Saorview. Hopefully will be handy to have all in one device.

Also the Kiii Pro and H96 have additional roms available which is very handy to change from Android TV to normal android without the bloatware. I wouldnt buy a box that didnt have this additional support.

Can you point me in direction of roms for the h96? I had a quick look while back but would be interested in messing around with it.

I love the h96 pro plus and the max is even better again 4gb ram.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Can you point me in direction of roms for the h96? I had a quick look while back but would be interested in messing around with it.

I love the h96 pro plus and the max is even better again 4gb ram.

I used the Alfawise rom You have to pop open the case to see if you need the blue or green rom then you upgrade to the laterst rom ota.

I used the Alfawise rom You have to pop open the case to see if you need the blue or green rom then you upgrade to the laterst rom ota.

Nice one mate always great to have something new to mess about with ;)

• Advertisement

But are the firmwares stable? loads of boxes around with impressive spec's but in reality you will never use the spec because the firmware is too flaky

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    But are the firmwares stable? loads of boxes around with impressive spec's but in reality you will never use the spec because the firmware is too flaky

I have found custom roms are more stable than stock. No bloatware is a huge bonus, devices run faster and cooler too.

I have setup loads of the h96 and dunno about how much they use but I've never any problems with them.

I have found custom roms are more stable than stock. No bloatware is a huge bonus, devices run faster and cooler too.

Back in the day when I had my first boxes and I had the time I would only buy boxes with custom firmwares....no time anymore....

Just worth asking as I had high spec boxes before and it was like a pig because of firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I’m looking to buy an android box for watching live tv and with a record feature. What you recommend and where should I buy from?

Haven’t a clue where to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

mada82 wrote: »
    I’m looking to buy an android box for watching live tv and with a record feature. What you recommend and where should I buy from?

Begin by reading the thread title!!!

Begin by reading the thread title!!!

I don’t understand. How are some legal and some not legal?

I don’t understand. How are some legal and some not legal?

The boxes are legal, attaining live TV isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭batistuta9

how is it not?

What about the other people on the last few pages mentioning they are looking to replace virgin media etc.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    how is it not?

Unless you want a combo satellite box for FTA satellite and terrestrial, IPTV streams are illegal

Unless you want a combo satellite box for FTA satellite and terrestrial, IPTV streams are illegal

no one mentioned IPTV, + not all ITV is illegal either

perfectly legal to use an android box for viewing saorview, freeview or freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Any boxes ye recommend that have DDR 4 ram?

what are you looking to watch?

what are you looking to watch?

Sports mainly

Sports mainly

Any android box then with a now tv subscription :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

no one mentioned IPTV, + not all ITV is illegal either

perfectly legal to use an android box for viewing saorview, freeview or freesat

Not a bit of a waste buying an android for FTA/Saorview/Freesat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

What is the illegal discussion as mentioned in the heading?

• Advertisement

you'll need a box with licences for DRM, etc. most that can really play nexflix in 4K/1080p should work

eir sport have a android app. has 2 eir + 4 bt channels
    & eleven sports are starting here soon, showing serie a, la liga. UFC from 2019

Advertisement