Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

When you select the netgear box on amazon there should be a pack of five Ethernet cables as a suggested item

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm having issues with my Android box. The mouse was scrolling by itself then shooting up to the left. I charged the air mouse and still the same.

The programs on the box wouldn't even work with the remote as it would click in then 2 seconds later back to the start screen.

I done a factory reset and mouse is useless and Kodi is now on the box where it wasn't before.

Nothing is working right on it still and can't get the other apps back on
    Any ideas ????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There is more to your network than just speeds to and from the internet. There's also speeds between your devices for copying and moving files. You're best going with gigabit for media devices beside a TV, it's not a huge extra these days and is 10x faster

I know,I think mine was on offer when I bought it.Wifi signal isn't an issue but I wanted a hardwired setup. I'll probably have to do the same in another room as I have a spare android box to set up there and the young lads Xbox keeps disconnecting from the internet over WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

muffler wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but my "entertainment corner" is diagonally across the sitting room from the modem and I have an ethernet cable running along the bottom of 2 walls and then connected to a zgemma box. But I also have a Feeview+ HD box (yes, terrestrial) and a Blue ray player in the same corner both of which can be connected to the internet. Can I split the ethernet cable in any way so as to provide connections to the Freeview box and blue ray player and if so what type of device am I looking for?

Im assuming there's some sort of hub type device available where the ethernet cable plugs in one slot and 2 or 3 connections can be taken from that

How about this one, 5 port Gigabit, for an extra £5 you can get 8 port.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-5-Ports-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

Any good deals on boxes? Looking to get my Ma one. She was made over with the NowTV box she got but they hardly update the movies so I'm looking at trying something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Mi Box was €50 from a few sites. I bought one for a mate and it arrived within 2 weeks from Geekbuying.

I think it's a decent box and its running ATV .Some people aren't a fan of it but I prefer it since I started using the shield.
    One downside is it doesn't have an Ethernet connection.

MECOOL M8S PRO W is $40 .I haven't used the box but it gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mi Box will also get the Oreo update

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

Did you order your Mi Box from China or one of the european warehouses? 
    Get a remote or pad with it?

Did you order your Mi Box from China or one of the european warehouses? 
    Get a remote or pad with it?

Got it from China ,its currently €59 form Geekbuying and it ships from Germany.

It came with the standard remote ,didn't bother with a pad/or air mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Anybody tried Tronix boxes from Gotronix in Wexford? 100 euro for a Tronix Q.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Easy now illegal chatter will get you banned

Ok i deleted the reference to the Content.
    Thanks for pointer. I've been told about that on the other IPTV thread.

Maybe you could edit your quote to remove the quoted text? :-)

Sysmod wrote: »
    Ok i deleted the reference to the Content.
    Thanks for pointer. I've been told about that on the other IPTV thread.

Maybe you could edit your quote to remove the quoted text? :-)

Will do
    Did you get my pm

Anybody tried Tronix boxes from Gotronix in Wexford? 100 euro for a Tronix Q.

If its a Q Box they are selling for €100 then its a complete rip off.I think they are just rebranding boxs from China.

Better off buying a box yourself and setting it up as you need.We cant talk about most of it here but a google search will give you all the info you need.

Edit:Just noticed its 5mb speed wireless,I dont think that will suffice for what you want.What speed do you get on a wired connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

yabadabado wrote: »
    If its a Q Box they are selling for €100 then its a complete rip off.I think they are just rebranding boxs from China.

Better off buying a box yourself and setting it up as you need.We cant talk about most of it here but a google search will give you all the info you need.

Edit:Just noticed its 5mb speed wireless,I dont think that will suffice for what you want.What speed do you get on a wired connection?

Better off getting the Qplus box it’s android 7 and has s912 chip vs s905. Bluetooth and 5ghz compatible too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Save yourself the hassle of buying an android box every year,,,, purchase an Nvidia shield

Would that be this one, Nvidia 945-12897-2505-100 16 GB SHIELD TV Streamer with Remote - Black, about 200 euro? Others have been recommending devices around 50 euro and think 100 is too much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-945-12897-2505-100-SHIELD-Streamer-Remote/dp/B075TBK232

I just read an Amazon review:
    "I have it in ireland but make sure you leave locations off if you want apps like BBC iPlayer to appear. Very limited in ireland without a VPN as most of the apps apart from Netflix are geo blocked "

So you have to do tricky stuff to be able to use it.

Is this really for gamers? If I just want to watch TV stations, not games or movies, would a cheaper box do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

Would that be this one, Nvidia 945-12897-2505-100 16 GB SHIELD TV Streamer with Remote - Black, about 200 euro? Others have been recommending devices around 50 euro and think 100 is too much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-945-12897-2505-100-SHIELD-Streamer-Remote/dp/B075TBK232

"I have it in ireland but make sure you leave locations off if you want apps like BBC iPlayer to appear. Very limited in ireland without a VPN as most of the apps apart from Netflix are geo blocked "

Is this really for gamers? If I just want to watch TV stations, not games or movies, would a cheaper box do?

Get yourself a Mi box (international version), as good as a nvidia if you're not gaming, runs Android tv platform,has voice search, got one from geekbuying year end, no complaints.

A shield isn’t something you have to do tricky stuff with really it’s quite straight forward if you want tv via iptv movies and box sets via emby then get one of you just want iptv use a smart tv or cheaper box like a mi box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

No it's fab, simple to use, luddite here, great performance,I don't game on it,but even so ,I wanted it,as fed up buying ****e

The Shield is fantastic and I'm very happy with mine but if you never plan on gaming then its expensive.

I have set up 2 Mi Boxs in the last few months and haven't heard any complaints from either person.They are selling for approx. €50 quid now.

yabadabado wrote: »
    The Shield is fantastic and I'm very happy with mine but if you never plan on gaming then its expensive.

I have set up 2 Mi Boxs in the last few months and haven't heard any complaints from either person.They are selling for approx. €50 quid now.

I don’t game on mine either I don’t get the time between iptv and emby
    I’m more than happy with the shield

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I don’t game on mine either I don’t get the time between iptv and emby
    I’m more than happy with the shield

I do very little gaming on mine either and am 100% happy with it .I just feel if you never game and only use IPTV,plex,emby etc then its probably overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Save yourself the hassle of buying an android box every year,,,, purchase an Nvidia shield
    If I just want to watch TV stations, not games or movies, would a cheaper box do?

A cheaper box will do all of the same things, and you shouldn't have to replace it after a year, They all depend on the ram/size and how much you use it.

Buying a decent one for less than €50 should still be good in well over a year (your usage will depend on how good), and by the time it comes around to buying the next one, tech will probably have moved on a lot, and be cheaper.
    The Nvidia shield is great, but it isn't for everyone and often goes on sale (no doubt when most are sold). I think the lowest it has been is £150 (roughly €170).
    So in roughly 5 years time you could do a price spent check and current tech status comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

For people on the fence as regards a shield being too expensive and choosing a cheap android box instead.

If price is an issue, and you want a box for nothing more than streaming, I recommend getting a firestick.

Cheap, reliable, portable, and as it's an Amazon product, great support and great aftercare support. The included remote (including Alexa voice search and.commands) works well and is streets ahead of the cheap android boxes air mouse control etc

I have a few now, one in bedroom, one in office and one which I take with me when travelling.

Just because you're away from home doesn't mean you need to go without all your box sets and live tv. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

The way I see it if money doesn't matter then 100% go for the Nvidia Shield, you wont regret it by far the best out there.

If you have zero interest in gaming and have a 1080p TV then I'd go for the Mi Box. (You'd really want a Shield for 4K content)

I had the firestick before and I just couldn't recommend it over the Mi Box considering they're very similar in price.

xtal191 wrote: »
    The way I see it if money doesn't matter then 100% go for the Nvidia Shield, you wont regret it by far the best out there.

If you have zero interest in gaming and have a 1080p TV then I'd go for the Mi Box. (You'd really want a Shield for 4K content)

I had the firestick before and I just couldn't recommend it over the Mi Box considering they're very similar in price.

100% agree I’ve had
    Random generic Chinese android box - crap
    Open box - good while it lasted
    Fire stick - mediocre
    Mi box - good but no 4k
    Mag 254 mag 256 - clunky and dated
    Nvidia shield 2017 - by far the best and bought in the sale for €160

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Lets not forget the Fire TV as opposed to the Stick .

• Advertisement

Also people buy android boxes thinking they are getting android tv
    Friend of mine paid €100 for an android box and it’s a nice paper weight that’s about it

Advertisement