Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

sconhome wrote: »
    To be fair Peter is right about the half course and looking at the maps the flow of cyclists is against the main flow of tourists into the area. Most travel North to South along the coast road towards Lisdoon & Cliffs of Moher.

Still need to have your wits about you on those roads as you will get local traffic coming at you too.

Yeah it think the same. Only concern for me would be the aid stations. A lot more caution needed when refueling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

sconhome wrote: »
    To be fair Peter is right about the half course and looking at the maps the flow of cyclists is against the main flow of tourists into the area. Most travel North to South along the coast road towards Lisdoon & Cliffs of Moher

Still need to have your wits about you on those roads as you will get local traffic coming at you too.

for the half i make it roughly 10 k in clare roughly 3 before boston and 7 after , no ?
    and for the full,
    you have to keep your wits in pretty much every race even on closed roads.
    I would be much more a annoyed if a 3 lap 14 k duathlon has a no race zone every lap when you go fast ( especially when the course the other way round would not need a no race zone had been proven for 5 or so years ) . in a full ironman its not a big deal if you have to slow down a few times ( gives you time to eat and less of a chance for stomach issues on the run... ) and you likely get the time back during the run .
    for the faster guys in the full they should be out of clare before traffic really starts. and the field is going to spread out in clare anyway due to the hills.
    and of course i could be wrong ;-)

gl0Rob wrote: »
    Yeah it think the same. Only concern for me would be the aid stations. A lot more caution needed when refueling.

this is true but the course has enough hills to have aid station at the top of the hill were you are not going fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

From the article:
    Former TD, Madeline Taylor-Quinn previously stated in a submission to Clare County Council “The proposed triathlon is of no benefit to Clare.”

Then, I wonder why Limerick Tri couldn't get road closures for Hell of The West. For Challenge Galway, I can see how this is true. But like a lot of things Irish, Clare Co. Co. were obviously looking for too much money to close the roads for both races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

zico10 wrote: »
    Then, I wonder why Limerick Tri couldn't get road closures for Hell of The West.

Probably reconciled that all the entry money was going out of the County so no benefit to Clare. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

peter kern wrote: »
    I would just relax and focus on your race. on the upside there not a single speed bump on the course ;-)

You'll meet a few speed bumps shortly after leaving T1... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭WattsUp

Have they got confirmation that the Galway roads are closed ? I see some confirmations around Oranmore and Galway city but did not see anything on Galway Co Co website confirming Kinvara to Kilcolgan etc..

20rothmans wrote: »
    Have they got confirmation that the Galway roads are closed ? I see some confirmations around Oranmore and Galway city but did not see anything on Galway Co Co website confirming Kinvara to Kilcolgan etc..

Full details here http://www.challenge-galway.eu/traffic-information/

N67 from base of Corker through Kinvara to Kilcolgan seems to be closed (this may only be one lane outbound closed - not sure if full road closure)

J o e wrote: »
    You'll meet a few speed bumps shortly after leaving T1... :)
    now i want my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Does anyone know if there are showers in the finish area ?

Looked on the A-Z Guide but do not see anything regarding showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

grahamor wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are showers in the finish area ?

Looked on the A-Z Guide but do not see anything regarding showers.

From the race briefing:
    Shower blocks are also provided beside the recuperation area. We expect
    these to be busy, so if you are staying close by the race site, we would
    suggest returning to your hotel so you don’t have to wait around for a shower

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Busy busy country roads in peak tourist season and no road closures.

Running it on this course with no road closures. Unfortunately I'd expect accidents - lots and serious - from this event.

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

tunney wrote: »
    I have done shag all training - work and family life hectic - sickness throughout the entire estate, kids sick - getting no sleep because of it

I am badly overweight

I'm out.

Fixed your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Running it on this course with no road closures. Unfortunately I'd expect accidents - lots and serious - from this event.

I'm out.

Such utter drivel. But not unexpected given the source.

Races, tri and bike races, go ahead on open roads all round the county every weekend with thousands of competitors each weekend and there are very very few serious accidents. Why will this event be any different. Sunday morning, stupid o'clock early, the roads will be empty. By the time they get busier the field will be so spread out that it'll be no different to any other Sunday with weekend warriors out and about.

It is the spread out nature of the field and the belligerent drivers who just 'have' to be on the road at that hour to be riled by the 'goddamn cyclists' that is the worrying thing.

Yes I'm projecting somewhat but having cycled on these roads and experienced the attitude of drivers both positive and negative when solo or in a group I would not like to be racing these roads open.

The fact that there was an intention to close the roads but shoddy organisation leading to a ridiculous late application which was understandably refused is another reason to be upset about the roads being open. Proper planning and interaction with the local communities would have made a huge difference here.

Most of us have families to go home to and the safer the race conditions the better our chances of returning to them are.

I'm out.

i never knew tunney was really rory mcilroy;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

peter kern wrote: »
    i never knew tunney was really rory mcilroy;-)

Such overreacting. There are hundreds of cyclists on these roads every weekend. The tour de Burren was on last weekend with no road closures in sight and on a Saturday... ridiculous from you 2 tbh. The busier roads closer to Galway are all closed so how about leave of the b1tching and either get behind it and participate in it or keep it to yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Agreed, there are hundreds of cyclists racing on open roads every weekend without major incident.

Just so happens that the nearest I have seen to a major smash was on the N67 to Ballyvaughn during the Lough Cutra 70.3 this year - a frustrated/impatient driver faced with a mile long string of riders will eventually take stupid chances.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'd imagine that even with open roads the race will effectively feel like it is on closed roads. Like w200 etc.. with so many bikes on the road cars will get bottlenecked behind and will not be able to move up through the groups of cyclists.

Such overreacting. There are hundreds of cyclists on these roads every weekend. The tour de Burren was on last weekend with no road closures in sight and on a Saturday... ridiculous from you 2 tbh. The busier roads closer to Galway are all closed so how about leave of the b1tching and either get behind it and participate in it or keep it to yourselves

Well given your experience in the sport I stand corrected.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I'm out.

You were out long before any road closures were announced so jump off that bandwagon :)

I raced Lough Cutra on very similar roads with no road closures. No issues at all

You were out long before any road closures were announced so jump off that bandwagon :)

I raced Lough Cutra on very similar roads with no road closures. No issues at all

The amount of frustration drivers will have from the bucket list goons all over the roads, it could very easily be carnage.

The amount of frustration drivers will have from the bucket list goons all over the roads, it could very easily be carnage.

Two days of goons.... the frustrations will get taken out on the Sunday.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Two days of goons.... the frustrations will get taken out on the Sunday.......

Dave, do you just post as a parody account these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

And don't forget the rush home to watch the match!!! It'll be grand.

I did the Lough Cultra Gauntlet this year and there was no real issues. if anything i was held up by the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Well given your experience in the sport I stand corrected.........

God it's great you know how experienced I am or am not based on an anonymous internet forum. And exactly how many times/events have you cycled on these roads, either open or closed over the years? Anyway enjoy your internet posting and the rest of us will enjoy the event, buckets, spades, lists and all. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Anyone else having issues trying to book a bus pass ?

It redirects to this link https://www.raceit.com/shop/?event=33413

When i enter my confirmation number the page loads but nothing else happens. Seems some scripts are blocked by the browser. Tried 3 different browsers but no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

grahamor wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues trying to book a bus pass ?

It redirects to this link https://www.raceit.com/shop/?event=33413

When i enter my confirmation number the page loads but nothing else happens. Seems some scripts are blocked by the browser. Tried 3 different browsers but no luck

I had problems the other day. I contacted challenge on Facebook and in fairness they had it sorted in an hour. Bus pass was in bag at registration

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Challenge website says the last finisher party and fireworks display will be between 23:00-24:00 tonight but I can't imagine there will still be athletes coming across the line at that time considering the amount of participants for this event, will there??

Want to head in at some stage this evening for a look and was thinking this would be the best time but possibly not if the vast majority of the athletes have already finished.

Anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's still lads on the bike now (as of 5.30pm) so I'd imagine they could be close to midnight at this stage

Advertisement