Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I've tried the lime, orange and raspberry gel tablets and found them pretty good. Decent taste, a strange texture but can be nice to have something different than gels on the bike. Nice to have a few options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Seems to be a lot of people pulling out of the race:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Seems to be a lot of people pulling out of the race:confused:

Aye. You doing it? Think I'll be out there long enough to eat solid food instead of gels :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Aye. You doing it? Think I'll be out there long enough to eat solid food instead of gels :p

No doing Cutra a few weeks prior, date did not suit in the middle of IM 12 weeks out. You will do fine as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 macman9963

PWEI wrote: »
    How much?

100€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 terraces

I'm selling my entry for the challenge half race. Current registration price is 250€ on the website so I'm open to any reasonable offers, including swaps. You can contact me one the thread of via PM for more details. Transfer is allowed until the 20th. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hi folks, i have an enrty going for the challenge galway half ironman as i am no longer able to do it, not sure what the story is with transfers at the moment... if anyone is interested please p.m. me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, i have an enrty going for the challenge galway half ironman as i am no longer able to do it, not sure what the story is with transfers at the moment... if anyone is interested please p.m. me

transfer closed sometimes last week.

WHere are we regarding the course is that finalized ?

if the full is the advertised course its stunning and outstanding at european races (challenge and ironman branded full)
    not tarmac wise but even there is 100 k plus decent tarmac;)
    very impressed (the sun helped)

same for swim fab location( never a fan of split transitons but I think a good choice as the most sheltered spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SPH1

Unable to race due to injury. Entry for Half Distance €150 ONO inc name change. Current price of entry €249. PM if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

^ great deal for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

SPH1 wrote:
    Unable to race due to injury. Entry for Half Distance €150 ONO inc name change. Current price of entry €249. PM if interested

I thought they were applying a charge of €100 for transfers? Have you checked with Challenge admin? May be interested at that price.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

From the Challenge Galway website:

" Transfer of entry to another athlete are subject to a fee of €50. No transfers after 20/05/2016."

Have they told you any different?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

I have a Sprint Distance entry for Sale if anyone is interested.

Open to offers. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

yes please pm sent a few hrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Entry lists are up and I think most will be surprised by the numbers involved.

Big entry for the full, I make it 500 odd. Smacks down the rumours of 70/80 that are being batted about. Overall best part of 2500 taking part across all the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

sconhome wrote: »

Big entry for the full, I make it 500 odd. Smacks down the rumours of 70/80 that are being batted about. Overall best part of 2500 taking part across all the races.

Yeah decent number. I had thought it was going to be a lonely day out there. Although I'm 50:50 about doing it myself. Struck down with the taper flu and lingering cough. Basically wiped out my taper so far.

http://www.challenge-galway.eu/athleteguide/start-list-2/

i guess thats the accurate entries roughly 1800 which is very impressive for a first year event. ( note no entries form number 1300 - 2000

so there will be about 3500 people doing a tri in ireland that weekend, kilkee and i think there was another few races around the country . I guess the highest number ever in one weekend in ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Think it's fairly poor that a decision like this is only made 2 weeks before the race

Always was going to be potential for disaster as the main road serving the far west, Doolin, Ballyvaughan etc needs to remain open for tourists. At least with IM Galway (70.3) there was an alternative route via Spiddal or Cong to get to Westport if necessary.

Agreed though very bad form 10 days before the events are going ahead.

What are the options? Run the race on open roads, route through Galway or cancel?

gl0Rob wrote: »
    What are the options? Run the race on open roads, route through Galway or cancel?

Open roads.

Come to think of it did they ever advertise it as closed roads?

Open roads.

Come to think of it did they ever advertise it as closed roads?

Possible not, there are plenty of references to closed roads on the site. It would be a huge dent to their reputation if run on open roads. People pay a premium for closed roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

wtf do the council think is going to happen to traffic in the area if the roads are left open? It'll be every bit as bad as if the roads were closed, at least with closed roads you can put in place planned diversions. Now we'll have an extended period of traffic problems over a long period of time, I'd be worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭WattsUp

That will be interesting but always likely that Clare would not shut down tourist access to the Burren etc...etape Hibernia started at silly o'clock in the morning to allow Burren roads to be open by 10am. Full distance race would close the coast road from Lisdoon to Fanore to Ballyvaughan from 9am to 3pm

I would look at this like this the lough cutra race started at 9.30 or something like that and there was really no traffic problem with open roads. galways starts 2 hours earlier ...
    I think the half is likley less than 15 k in county clare (correct me if iam wrong) and not much traffic on the parts in clare at all ( i think i saw 2 cars while riding the half course incounty clare )
    even on the full course there was hardly any traffic in the afternoon at an bankholiday weekend.
    I would just relax and focus on your race. on the upside there not a single speed bump on the course ;-)

• Advertisement

To be fair Peter is right about the half course and looking at the maps the flow of cyclists is against the main flow of tourists into the area. Most travel North to South along the coast road towards Lisdoon & Cliffs of Moher.

Still need to have your wits about you on those roads as you will get local traffic coming at you too.

Advertisement