Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Its on the 26th, the same day as the full distance race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would have considered doing the half if it was on a different day but having both on the same day is a disaster waiting to happen. Glad i kept my money in my pocket when the full was announced.

Given the latest trend it will be an Ironman branded race in the next 2 years.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not good, is it? Glad I only paid half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Id imagine they will run the sprint/olympic on the Sat
    and the half/full on the Sunday.

Having done a dual race in Monaghan late August i was actually impressed the way both races did not interfere with each other.

If the full is started first the majority of people will be finished the half before the bike is finished in the full. if timelines are managed correctly it can work.

Haveing recently done Challenge Mallorca i was very impressed with the organisation of the race.
    Hopefully Galway will be same standard

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I have done an event with them as well (fair enough on the other side of the world) but they ran a full and half there as well. I did the half and it was very well run for everyone.
    With the full going off on the bike 1st and the half turning off at about the 55km mark to head home there may not be many crowds. It will be about 90k just for the full.
    The faster full will probably catch the slower half on the bike I would guess but I wouldn't see any drafting there or getting in peoples way.

Most races would have more than one distance so I wouldn't worry too much about organisation. Their communication has been good so far and I think the fact they lost Weymouth they will put even more effort into making sure this one goes well as 1st year will be crucial in their fight against Ironman.

The only negative I see is the overkill with all the events on the Saturday as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Following some reflection, and a phone call, I would have to say this is a positive move. I think the only mistake was in not considering how the message could possibly be interpreted.

I'm looking forward to a day out and hopefully some nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

tunney wrote:
    I'm looking forward to a day out and hopefully some nice weather.

Nice weather.....in the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nice weather.....in the west!

He did say hopefully! :D

We live in hope over here ;)

Apparently 700 signed up to the full and 500 in the half..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Apparently 700 signed up to the full and 500 in the half..

Is this is a lot or not for Challenge event at this point?

• Advertisement

iAcesHigh wrote:

Apologies that 500 should be 300. I'd imagine numbers will increase for the half leading up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

iAcesHigh wrote: »

challlenge fuerteventura had 245 or so people racing last year
    challenge henlly ( sp?) i think had 345 for the full one year
    so this are actually very good numbers for decmber .

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Can any1 recommend a training plan to follow, with just under 30 weeks it's about time I got the finger out and started following a scheduled plan. First full distance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

pot p wrote: »
    Can any1 recommend a training plan to follow, with just under 30 weeks it's about time I got the finger out and started following a scheduled plan. First full distance. Thanks

id recommend a coach but if you are not going down that line Don Finks book is pretty good, it has 3 30 week plans to choose from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm in for the half distance.

I've only done 3 sprint triathlons so big step up, but 7 months to work up to it. Don Fink's half-iron distance book should be here on Monday. Would be good to get a Facebook or Whatsapp group together with others on the same plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They've uploaded the first of a series of vlogs, and it's shocking bad. Don't see the point of it... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Signed up for my first half there. Eeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You'll be fine, if Bressie's group can complete their half you'll have no problem with it, it's not as daunting as it may first appear and 7 months is plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gparker

Just wondering does anyone know if the bike (I've signed up for the half) is on closed roads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I heard that's it highly probable that the cycle route will be changed to a 2x loop affair. Due to locals in Clare not being happy with all the road closures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Anyone know what way the full and half will be run with them being on the same day?

jester1980 wrote: »
    Anyone know what way the full and half will be run with them being on the same day?

Badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Badly?

Seems like you are back .
    Missed you high quality contributions

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

tunney wrote: »
    Badly?

Haha that made ma laugh

Will both races start the same time do you reckon, would be madness no?

peter kern wrote: »
    Seems like you are back .
    Missed you high quality contributions

In the last week I have heard that the location to do the swim has not been engaged with. Also that the road closures have not been requested nor are they likely to be granted. So yes a flippant comment, however not without some merit.

I was in for the full, moved to the half and am at best a maybe to start. So yes I have skin in the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

without yin, yang dies on the battlefield.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was considering the half here, looked up prices today - thought challenge would be somewhat cheaper. May as well do Dublin for that price and save myself the travel and accommodation expenses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Was considering the half here, looked up prices today - thought challenge would be somewhat cheaper. May as well do Dublin for that price and save myself the travel and accommodation expenses!

Was considering it myself but was going to wait a few months before entering in case I got injured. The price is going up yet again next month to €249.
    No way I'm paying that for a Challenge half.

The full is going up to €499 which is taking the p*ss when you consider their iconic Challenge Roth race is €380.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

PWEI wrote: »
    Was considering it myself but was going to wait a few months before entering in case I got injured. The price is going up yet again next month to €249.
    No way I'm paying that for a Challenge half.

The full is going up to €499 which is taking the p*ss when you consider their iconic Challenge Roth race is €380.
    Challenge Roth was €450 to enter.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Challenge Roth was €450 to enter.

Roth has a nice safe swim. A closed road bike course with plenty of mechanical assistance quad bikes. The run is through a picturesque townland area and the history and pedigree of the race rivals, if not exceeds, Kona. And it was €50 cheaper.

Advertisement