Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There's still lads on the bike now (as of 5.30pm) so I'd imagine they could be close to midnight at this stage

According to the athlete tracker on the website, there is only 11 ppl still on the bike course so I don't imagine going in between 23:00-24:00 being much fun to spectate unless the athlete tracker is way off and there are in far more ppl yet to start the run??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

How did the event go?
    Was travelling up from the south today and the traffic was v slow moving from kilcolgan to oranmore I wasn't safe for cyclists in my opinion. I've cycled and raced all my life in bike races. Solo cycling in that today you'd be vulnerable passing every car. Riders that did pass were on the brakes for fear of crazy drivers defeated the comfort and purpose of the tt bikes.

Hope all went safe anyhow and hope lessons learnt to make it bigger and better if that is the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

It's a meh from me. Maybe im being fussy or spoiled from spending big bucks on IM branded events but there were a few issues.
    The bike racking was sketchy, just a ladder of wood. I'm very surprised bikes didn't get blown over mind was flapping about when I left it.
    My main gripe is nutrition. 1 water station on the half distance route and then 1 station with 'iso' which was 60k+ in. Long enough old jaunt for some folk with nothing provided.

Worse than that was the run nutrition though. No gels. Just brick like bars and some packeted 'chews' and iso that was full of gritty sugar at the bottom. Really really poor.

The roads being open for so much of it didn't affect me massively. It was so windy I was on the hoods for long portions and just didn't take chances. It's not really what you expect for a big branded event though. Same for the run as I weaved between pensioners and kids on trikes on the prom.

A real pain in the balls was the T1 bags not arriving until almost 3 (7h+ in). I was in a good while itching to hit the road (running out of good will from the wife stuck with twin babies going mad in the car). Nobody had a notion where the T1 bags were or when they were coming.

That sounds like a bit of a whine but I should balance it with a shout out to all the volunteers I encountered who were fantastic. Really helpful and cheery on a bleak day. The route is pretty good, better than cutra and if they ironed out the above wrinkles it could be great. I really would have found the full distance rough with that nutrition set up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

It's a meh from me. Maybe im being fussy or spoiled from spending big bucks on IM branded events but there were a few issues.
    The bike racking was sketchy, just a ladder of wood. I'm very surprised bikes didn't get blown over mind was flapping about when I left it.
    My main gripe is nutrition. 1 water station on the half distance route and then 1 station with 'iso' which was 60k+ in. Long enough old jaunt for some folk with nothing provided.

Worse than that was the run nutrition though. No gels. Just brick like bars and some packeted 'chews' and iso that was full of gritty sugar at the bottom. Really really poor.

The roads being open for so much of it didn't affect me massively. It was so windy I was on the hoods for long portions and just didn't take chances. It's not really what you expect for a big branded event though. Same for the run as I weaved between pensioners and kids on trikes on the prom.

A real pain in the balls was the T1 bags not arriving until almost 3 (7h+ in). I was in a good while itching to hit the road (running out of good will from the wife stuck with twin babies going mad in the car). Nobody had a notion where the T1 bags were or when they were coming.

That sounds like a bit of a whine but I should balance it with a shout out to all the volunteers I encountered who were fantastic. Really helpful and cheery on a bleak day. The route is pretty good, better than cutra and if they ironed out the above wrinkles it could be great. I really would have found the full distance rough with that nutrition set up though.

I did the full and the first aid station that both races passed at 30km had everything i took an ios myself. I think they both passed the same at 60km again had everything . I thought 1 every 30km was reasonable and what was advertised

On the run there were umpteen boxes of gels . Granted they don't look like traditional gels but they had more than enough. There was defiantly some confusion with them , I know others didn't know what they were but again that was what was advertised and people could have scoped out what the nutrition was before the race

I agreed with the open roads , didn't effect me too much but saw some hairy stuff out there with cars & bikes taking chances . The buses were probably there worst. Luckily I was in no rush .

The run got worse and worse as the day went on. People just didn't give a hoot that there was a race on and were walking in large groups down the prom . Plenty of weaving asking people to move over.

Hats of to the volunteers. They had it rough on the bike but were very encouraging . There were some unbelievable supporters out there . The group halfway down the prom were really giving it socks for 4+ hours .

Strange, at the first station only the guys holding bottles were saying water only. On the bike I'm not stopping to check. I didn't see the gels advertised pre race and didn't see them on the table but to be honest I don't stop at aid stations as I find it tough to get going again. This is obviously my problem.

In some ways we are maybe lucky it was a bleak day then if it was nice there would have likely been 3x the folk on the prom, then there would have been an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

My main issue was arriving at T2 and finding my run gear soaking wet. Wasn't happy but quickly got over it. I know the more experienced athletes double bagged knowing of this possibility. i thought the bags were going to be covered, a simple tarp over the bags would of been enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Will give more feedback later, but having never done a Challenge Family event, this song getting pumped out when watching the start of the full swim freaked me out a bit - felt like I'd got involved in some weird cult! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Full distance complete for myself and Olympic for the better half on Saturday. Walking away disappointed. Easy to make excuses and say it was first time event was run but I thought Challenge has some experience in these matter. Volunteers were great, but organisation leaves lot to be desired.
    1) Realising at Olympic swim start they were missing a buoy and start delayed by 35mins.
    2) Briefing included telling people to swim to the white buoy for start. There was no buoy. The starter was very hard to see as no high vis jacket and had tiny red flag.
    3) Sprint start was disaster as lead pack took off and rest didn't know if race had started or not. Then starter was roaring at poor fella at the back.
    4) Bike traffic management was non existent, lead athletes came flying in on the road that was supposed to be cars only. Nobody directing the bike to stay to right. Athletes at fault too as they were briefed to stay right but bollards and tape were joke.
    5) One aid station unmanned so you had to pour your own water. But the two ladies just before forest were excellent.
    6) No atmosphere at finish line, and all the t-shirts were gone when my wife finished. Asked race director and just no joy. Plenty of kids wearing the finisher tops...
    7) Just few bottles of water lying around. No food etc
    Onto Full day.....
    1) Mix up with briefing and special needs bags. People told they could bring on the morn.
    2) Asked Bike course manager when road closures would start so herself could move car out beforehand and he didn't know.
    3) Swim start delayed by over 20mins.
    4) T1 bags soaked from being left in rain.
    5)Aid stations were manned by fantastic volunteers. Always kept the spirits up even though standing in the rain for hours.
    6) Lack of road closures made it risky with weather and few inconsiderate drivers.
    7) T2 bag soaked too, seriously, could you not provide canopy? Plus why couldn't they provide bags for after race?
    8) Again the volunteers were fantastic
    9) Distance markers were just spray painted on the ground. Did budget not stretch to a few signs? Even some motivational signs which would help let the public know race was on.
    10) Some music or something to create atmosphere would have been appreciated at turn around point.
    11) Massages were already gone by the time I finished, 13Hr 30mins I thought is a respectable time but obviously not quick enough.
    12) At least there was plenty of food.... Oh wait there wasn't any bar a few chicken nuggets.
    13) After I collected bike etc they were already taking down course, horrible to see that happening with athletes still on the course.

It's another race complete, and I'm happy with my time and the hard work I put in. Did I feel Challenge put in €400 worth of work? Definitely no. Maybe the organisers were more about making quick buck, or being concert organisers.
    Last few points
    1) Bag is extremely cheap and zip broke first day
    2) Goody bag was joke. I've got more from 10km races with a mere fraction of the entry fee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Maybe the organisers were more about making quick buck, or being concert organisers.

Yes there were corners cut, but there is no way the organisers came out of the weekend in profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    Yes there were corners cut, but there is no way the organisers came out of the weekend in profit.

Boohoo onion.

• Advertisement

gl0Rob wrote: »
    The buses were probably there worst.

LOL

I think the key thing people have missed is the difference between the brand and the organisers.

I'm not sure how many more folk than 1300 that they were expecting to attract in the first year? Would galway council not be stumping up a few quid to 'host' etc? It'll be interesting to see if it returns anyway. I'd be 50/50 on doing it again. Does anyone know any better half distance events here? I still would pick it over cutra comfortably. Wouldn't do the full distance though

God it's great you know how experienced I am or am not based on an anonymous internet forum. And exactly how many times/events have you cycled on these roads, either open or closed over the years? Anyway enjoy your internet posting and the rest of us will enjoy the event, buckets, spades, lists and all. : )

Care to revisit you comment in light of yesterday? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Thought Challenge would ensure that had people on the ground ensuring event would be to their standard.

There was at Ironman 70.3 Dublin.

Thought Challenge would ensure that had people on the ground ensuring event would be to their standard.

There was at Ironman 70.3 Dublin.

After the failings of Galways 70.30

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I'm not sure how many more folk than 1300 that they were expecting to attract in the first year? Would galway council not be stumping up a few quid to 'host' etc? It'll be interesting to see if it returns anyway. I'd be 50/50 on doing it again. Does anyone know any better half distance events here? I still would pick it over cutra comfortably. Wouldn't do the full distance though

I see swinford Humbert half is back. Lower key event but I'd highly recommend. Well organised and good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

tunney wrote: »
    After the failings of Galways 70.30

I thought the Galway 70.3 in 2012 was an extremely well organised race, 2011 was a shambles (1st year)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yeah in the same ballpark to 350 milion euro go to the NHS a week ****. you were spot on with your predicitons tunney .

several 100s killed
    a traffic war etc

Care to revisit yours? Or point me to the hospital queues filled with Challenge Galway athletes with broken bones and more after the "lots of serious accidents" your crystal ball predicted.

Boohoo onion.

What???

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    yeah in the same ballpark to 350 milion euro go to the NHS a week ****. you were spot on with your predicitons tunney .

several 100s killed
    a traffic war etc

I've only heard of one serious accident during a triathlon on the roads of the west this weekend, caused by an inconsiderate driver, and it happened in Clare but it was nothing to do with Challenge Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Oh get over it...

It was a first year event. Teething problems for sure but overall it was an good event.

As for the roads, the partially open roads didn't cause any significant problems. But on the positive, the roads setup created a good excuse for some people to skip the event.
    Not sure what the previous excuse was to drop from Full to Half event but I assume it was equally dramatic.

Surely it's a positive to get a full distance branded event into the country so maybe it's worth taking a step back and being positive.
    Cheer up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Care to revisit yours? Or point me to the hospital queues filled with Challenge Galway athletes with broken bones and more after the "lots of serious accidents" your crystal ball predicted.

There were a few spills with some broken wrists and other bones. Don't know if vehicles were involved. I witnessed a very very close call with a pack that had Peter Kern in. Car did not stop on roundabout and almost took lead cyclists out at speed.

How he held the bike is anyone's guess.

There were no marshalls at that junction when I had passed through so I got involved in opening the cones for the bike lane just as lead pack arrived. Timing of volunteers at posts seemed to be off as it was the marshals from the 30k position that came up and took over where I was.

Big issue with traffic management with complaints about lack of signs, marshalls (with experience) traffic backed up blocking bike lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

well the spills always happen with the rain.
    and the incident that was miscoomincation from what i saw and also fault of the cyclist who stays in behind pretty much the whole time when they caught me after 65 or k and then just before the roundabout decides to passs.
    ithink there was 3 partes at fault at this incident.

( i beleive they used the same traffic mangment company that did dublin 70.3 last year )

i think there was 2 places where they really need to improve their traffic managment but for the half overall it was good
    I would be half suprissed if anybody thay did the half saw a car in county clare.

i think you should tell people why you are so pissed off with the race
    tunney is unhappy as he is not ready to do the race and in is in the same postion as the people he always mocks and than tries to find a chaep excuse
    and i guess i know your reason too.

i think there is a difference to make a race bad because you and tunney are pissed off and for legitimate feelings some people have posted so far.

ps it seemed you were still pretty happy to be associated with the event juding by all the signs you had up.
    sconhome wrote: »
    There were a few spills with some broken wrists and other bones. Don't know if vehicles were involved. I witnessed a very very close call with a pack that had Peter Kern in. Car did not stop on roundabout and almost took lead cyclists out at speed.

How he held the bike is anyone's guess.

There were no marshalls at that junction when I had passed through so I got involved in opening the cones for the bike lane just as lead pack arrived. Timing of volunteers at posts seemed to be off as it was the marshals from the 30k position that came up and took over where I was.

Big issue with traffic management with complaints about lack of signs, marshalls (with experience) traffic backed up blocking bike lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ajf800

I think munsterbear pretty much summed up the work Challenge has to put in if it wants to do well next year. I'm a sold AG doing tri for 10yrs + and the issues I saw yesterday on the half were pretty basic but really important stuff. I agree the volunteers were brilliant but I didn't envy them their job as they were swamped - at all transitions, bag drops etc - even the kids they had taking bags in T1. The scheduling was a mess on Saturday and everyone I spoke with was totally stressed out about the combination bag drops, bike drops etc and how they were divided over the day. I am assuming if you took the athlete bus for the half you were standing round in the rain for hours before getting into the water - again chaos in the half as we didn't have any time to get positioned etc but I hear one or two of the earlier waves/races were floating around in there for 15 mins before the off. Could've been done better. Nutrition I can't comment on as I don't take any from the tables (there seemed to be plenty though) but really basic stuff like having a designated spot on the bike for dumping your bottle for the bottle swap, or just bins on the run course were missed. There was rubbish all over the seafront and volunteers were chasing plastic cups up and down the prom. Crazy. That and 1 toilet on the run course - there were people relieving themselves on the beach in Salthill as there was no where to go. And only 3 toilets in a chaotic T1, bags (including 'dry bags') left sitting in a puddle in the rain, queuing for everything and a flat finish devoid of atmosphere. I didn't envy the full distance athletes at all. The clubs from the north of the country had savage support on route but despite that any of them I spoke to said they wouldn't be coming back - admittedly we spoke while standing, cold and tired waiting for bags, t-shirts etc so the mood wasn't exactly uplifting - but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I think I will.

Was the traffic management or lack of it ok...fine from what I could see although I only did the half. Didn't personally come across any incidents or near ones for that matter. A few overly aggressive cyclists, but they are at every event. Only heard of one incident, caused by a cyclist from what I was told.

BTW..I had a great day. Weather was sh1te but its Galway. Organisation could have been better. Bags in rain, bike racking for higher numbers was terrible, revised timings not communicated enough, thought they could have had more dedicated athlete space and tents at the finish, cold food, more atmosphere (although irish game was on and it was wet) and few other things. I'll be letting them know but was I p1ssed off at any stage, ready to throw my toys out of the pram...No.

Swim was nice and choppy but great fun. Cycle was enjoyable bar last few km on the coast road and thought the run route was spot on as was spacing of aid stations. Overall good event but they have a good few things to iron out. Would I do it again..yeah I think I would....with a bit more bike to run training!

Does that satisfy you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I wasn't going to do it because I have zero SBR training done but I said what the hell and rocked up. There will always be complaints, about every event but it wasn't all bad and I say that having done 2 other Challenge events. The budget obviously didn't stretch to mark out the course like Roth for example but there was lots to make up for the poor aspects.

The good
    • Both swim and bike locations would be great on another day.
    • Volunteers as always but the general public out on the promenade for hours on end giving it loads were just brilliant. Those 4 girls with signs chanting etc halfway through the run were awesome. I gave them all great big sweaty hugs on the last lap. High fives for the kids makes their day. The old couples, fat bikes, dogs, trikes and families walking made for a good distraction from the pain but then maybe some found that irritating.
    • Plenty of nutrition on the bike and run. I alternated coke/orange slices (yum!) and gels/water on the feed stations. If you want to complain about the gels, then bring your own next time.
    • The buzz arriving back in after a torturous long bike was great. Ireland had just scored.
    • The rain stopped for the run.
    • The run in general was a good route. Easy to break down into chunks to get through it and it varied.
      • Picking up your bike and bags was right by the finish and easy which was nice
      • I fought lots of quitting demons to finish :p

The Bad
    • The rain. I was only in the Burren a couple of weeks ago mountain biking and its stunning. Couldn't see a thing and it was pretty dodgy holding a line on slippy sharp descending curves. Particularly as buses took up most of the road.
    • No atmosphere at the start. They could have at least stuck on some of that epic music you get at other Challenge events. The kind that makes the hair stand on the back of your neck.
    • The bike route was poorly marked. In fairness its not hard to go amiss on a triathlon but it was one lonely long boring bike.
    • Drafting. The usual but if its not policed then so be it.
    • I don't really care about goody bags, its always a bunch of fliers anyway plus you pay for a race not a lucky bag of red bull and some sweets :confused: What I did think was poor was the finish food. Chicken nuggets and water. Jesus, you get better grub at local 5ks. Very poor. Also the low number of volunteers was evident again. Just a few in transitions, none at the run turn. The volunteers were brilliant just too few which is a shame
    • The registration was quick (although it took an age to find my name) but the logistics of check in times, rack times etc lead to mass movement of traffic and periodic bottle necks that local would not have appreciated. Its the same in other events though but there is no doubt a better way to manage this.
    • Did I mention the rain and wind?!

The Ugly
    • The littering. How hard can it be to just stuff the gel wrapper back in your pocket and leave at transition? Muppets.
    • The bone shaking sections of road were so bad that bits fell off my bike.
    • The 300m shortened swim. Was that 300m so much worse than the other 3.5km? It all added to the rubbish atmosphere at the start.
    • The section of road from Kinvara to Galway. I was dizzy and the traffic was mental. I had to dismount and let blood pressure return to normal because you had to have your wits about you. The cycle lane was very tight at points. Fair play to the Gardai because without them I reckon there would have been chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭WattsUp

Humbert Challange in Mayo was an excellent half when I did it in 2011. It's back on the calendar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

i think you should tell people why you are so pissed off with the race
    tunney is unhappy as he is not ready to do the race and in is in the same postion as the people he always mocks and than tries to find a chaep excuse

Not getting into anyone elses decisions, I entered and then over winter recognised I don't have any gra for triathlon anymore. So refocused my training for other sports.

No need to guess.

As for why I'm annoyed, playing with peoples safety is not on.
    and i guess i know your reason too.
    ps it seemed you were still pretty happy to be associated with the event juding by all the signs you had up.

You should know at this stage that it is not my business. I work for the company and it is one reason why my username has changed here over the while. Personal views are not representative of business views.

• Advertisement

Emmmmm who's a cranky boy then?

Advertisement