Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

No doubt all the Irish 1/2 distance races will be lining up next year to have their half-Iron as early as possible. The water will be baltic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Will be looking at lough cutra end of may 1/2 distance. Did it 2 years ago and found it will organised. will be passing through parts of the Challenge course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kierank01 wrote: »
    What build-up races are people looking to do?

should be looking at a half at the end of april/start of May...

no not really. doing a IM distance does not need a half as a build up. In fact for alot its a bad idead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tunney wrote: »
    no not really. doing a IM distance does not need a half as a build up. In fact for alot its a bad idead.

Why is this? Takes too much out of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

You may be correct, I am looking at Fink's plan, so it is reasonably generic...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just won a half price entry code. If anyone wants to use it and split the difference with me Id appreciate it.

Lookin at you particularly, tunney ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

catweazle wrote: »
    No doubt all the Irish 1/2 distance races will be lining up next year to have their half-Iron as early as possible. The water will be baltic :D

I'm hoping lost sheep buck the trend and go as late as possible;)

Oryx wrote: »
    I just won a half price entry code. If anyone wants to use it and split the difference with me Id appreciate it.

Lookin at you particularly, tunney ;)

Why me?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Why me?????

:D

Why me?????

Challenge needs you

• Advertisement

Challenge needs you

I think you misheard the grapevine.
    "Tunney is challengeD"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hope the weather & particularly the winds are kinder next year than they have been the last 2 weekends here in the Whest

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Taken from the facebook page

"No one likes to spend more than they need to.
    That's why we wanted to let you know the early bird offer will end in July - We're selling entries fast, and not surprising! There are less than 40 slots left at this price band! Make sure you don't miss out on this special priced entry:
    Entry to the full distance race is just €379 for individual
    and €419 for relay teams (fees apply)"

Would be interesting to know how many have signed up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

pgibbo wrote: »
    I hope the weather & particularly the winds are kinder next year than they have been the last 2 weekends here in the Whest

Expect shi* weather then you wont be disappointed,

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

topcat77 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know how many have signed up already.

You would wonder how many will come from abroad for it. With so many races in Europe and US around that time it would be hard to see people come to wet and windy Ireland.

If marketed well I think it could attract people from US. The video they put up last night would make people think about doing it.

I'm doing it anyway so hoping there will be 1 or 2 more at the start line with me :-)

The half price code I mentioned is still available. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can it be used for the race in Venice they've just announced? :pac:

Can it be used for the race in Venice they've just announced? :pac:

Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

speedyj wrote: »
    On same day = total disaster usually.
    On different days, hopefully resounding success.

Nice and positive ............. hoping its a resounding success, am will soon press the button !

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

I am contemplating entering tonight, what's the story with this half price code I mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pot p wrote: »
    I am contemplating entering tonight, what's the story with this half price code I mentioned

It's available at half price from Oryx.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

jnk883 wrote: »
    You would wonder how many will come from abroad for it. With so many races in Europe and US around that time it would be hard to see people come to wet and windy Ireland.

If marketed well I think it could attract people from US. The video they put up last night would make people think about doing it.

I'm doing it anyway so hoping there will be 1 or 2 more at the start line with me :-)

Was browsing through the latest 220 Triathlon magazine and there were 3 separate mentions of the event, though they are the associated media partner so if they don't push it, who would.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

AKW wrote: »
    It's available at half price from Oryx.

Pm'd Oryx, thanks

Was browsing through the latest 220 Triathlon magazine and there were 3 separate mentions of the event, though they are the associated media partner so if they don't push it, who would.

I was reading that just now as well. It got good mentions alright. Its interesting that they mention a figure of 2,200 people coming to Galway for the event. I'd love to know where they got a number like that from. In the same magazine they mentioned Challenge Weymouth had 417 finishers in 2014. Hardman had 65 in 2014. I know that figure will include relays and then the smaller events on the Saturday but it would be some achievement if they got anywhere close to that over the weekend.

For me I think that approx 250 for the full would be about right. Challenge Atlantic City, which they were really pushing, had about 175 for the full distance and looked to have a lot of DNS.

With them pushing this event so early I'd expect a lot of people who signed up to drop out before the race comes. They clearly had to get the event out before Ironman released anything so hopefully they can keep the momentum going for the year.

I guess only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

€25 to handle a refund. That's a bit rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Johnnio13 wrote: »

What was the charge mentioned in the T&C's when registering?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Johnnio13 wrote: »

A lot less than what IM brand charge for a refund :)

Challenge Family are proud to announce that our flagship event in Ireland; Challenge Galway is adding a Half Distance Race next June. This is a highly anticipated move, and comes about due to demand from the triathlon public who have inundated event organisers to add a Half Distance race to theChallenge Galway experience when the race series lands in Ireland in 2016.

The race route will be similar to the Long Distance race announced earlier this year, with the Swim Start in Renville Oranmore, followed by a 1 loop 90km bike route taking in Kinvarra, the Wild Atlantic Way and back to the Galway Docklands before taking in 2 flat and exciting run loops of Galway City Centre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

No mention of which day?

That's suddenly looking like a very busy weekend in galway. Lot of coordination to make sure they all go off smoothly

• Advertisement

I'd say it will be the Sunday as well. Looking at the course it follows the full up to a point on the bike then turns off. Run course is the same. My guess is that the numbers may not be as good as expected for the full. So trying to get more bodies around the course to make sure its not a couple hundred of people lost out on the 180 loop of the bike.

Advertisement