Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K16 - A Spike Lee Joint

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Career is looking good. The MyCourt feature is class.

Preordered this today on psn. 70 euro, 10k vc, my team packs, ps4 theme, release on Friday and download starting Thursday.

Xtravision told me it would be 75, release on Tuesday with no extras. No brainer, just hope it works. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Stupid real world responsibilities.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this later

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ordered this from Simply Games this morning. Worked out at around €55 with delivery to Parcel Motel. Not sure when I'll get it but I'm no huge rush.

Went get to play this til Wednesday, but have a few days off then. Mad to give it a lash.

• Advertisement

Chanced Smyths since it was showing up under click and collect.
    Thought id have good grounds to argue had they tried to refuse, plus its not a big seller in Ireland so the fact it turned up on click and collect only emphasises that.

I didn't want a digital version after last year as id definitely have sold it on given the chance.

The modes all sound improved, including online play now which was really neglected.
    Apart from that I'm only hoping for some minor tweaks in game(more variation in career, not feeling like each opponent is same, auto/repetitive double teams, 3 point cheese in the Park and terrible defensive movement which aided that)

I'll get a few months out of it regardless, but here's hoping for more.

Post yer thoughts when ye get a chance.

Played the full install game, the gauntlet in MyTeam and just started career.

Positives:
    Pace matters, I was able to just sprint into spaces with Kyrie whereas in 15 it would be closed immediately. C.Smoove talked about this last week in relation to the fast break and it's evident.

Post is moved to holding L2, will take adjustment but definitely gives it a more authentic feel than tapping a button to enter.
    You can seem to use it more with pace and combined with dribbling more like real life.

Lob pass could be an asset always hated how you'd pass into the paint before and it would be caught, that addition should help though kind of passes but for now I'm confusing post moves with passing and making mistakes.

The dribble pull up doesn't happen automatically now which is a massive game changer, before you'd press it and it was an automatic (committed) pick up that was even hard to fake out of.
    Now you can press it and he'll keep the dribble so you can analyse the space before deciding to shoot(only trialed in my court in career but don't see why it'll be different in game)

Generally it feels different, as Smoove also noted the ball comes loose from players easier so just good guarding can win the ball.
    Shooting feels a bit diff, can get quicker shots up than before.

Also watch Spike Lee in the pre Career cut scene, he's looking ABOVE the camera talking, either to blatantly read his lines or just bad direction... Forgot to take a screenshot :D

I'm reading the face scan is worse than last year :pac: Smoove said his came out good but it doesn't look great to me. Other people saying it just doesn't work. Think I'll skip trying to borrow a camera this year.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm reading the face scan is worse than last year :pac: Smoove said his came out good but it doesn't look great to me. Other people saying it just doesn't work. Think I'll skip trying to borrow a camera this year.

I wasn't aware it was available without a kinect and I sold mine a few months back.

Speaking of your player... I'm guessing I was adopted.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware it was available without a kinect and I sold mine a few months back.

Speaking of your player... I'm guessing I was adopted.

Bwahahahaha that is brilliant! I was fully sure your parents skin colour would change to your own.

Bwahahahaha that is brilliant! I was fully sure your parents skin colour would change to your own.

It's sort of made evident in the pre start up scene that it wont.
    Basically and its not a spoiler, you see the actors with the motion camera gear on acting a scene with MyCareer style subs.
    It cuts and that's where Spike Lee enters... So basically it introduces you to the career actors in person before you start.

Well one things for certain it's tough as feck to score in the NBA at the start.

As a mixed scoring PG who's 6'0, your shooting starts at like 50.
    I don't think you ever started a game so garbage stats wise and I even used the 10k I got with the game.
    Costing over 1800 to get to 64 odd shooting averages.

I guess the price increases and lower bases is to account for the new Career calender and the fact you can make VC without playing.

I'm playing on HOF which wouldn't help but it was seriously hard to score anything in those first 8 games, almost seemed intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

This revolutionary Spike Lee "Story" is terrible (only 5 NBA games in, but can't imagine it improving)
    It's not remotely tied into your actual performance, so makes it seem completely irrelevant.
    Had a blow out? So what, here's your custom shoe
    And some of the character insights pretty much mirror all the worst parts of Spike Lee's movies.

I'll be glad when it's behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why am I constantly getting called for travelling whenever I shoot?

One complaint id have is when doing the training mode in career your stuck on a sideline camera and I play on the 2k cam so it was a massive hindrance.
    Worst of all the first drill was a 1v1 against Connelly in a narrow corridor you couldn't go outside.
    Would have been hard enough on 2k never mind trying on sideline.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Why am I constantly getting called for travelling whenever I shoot?

The older version would include the odd travel from post shooting type scenarios but it was completely random and not user controlled.
    Haven't noticed any changed myself as I haven't had one yet in a few hours play.

Have ye tried My Park yet? I was watching a couple of vids and it seems much more balanced i.e. big's are slow and guards aren't dropping 3's at will.

Have ye tried My Park yet? I was watching a couple of vids and it seems much more balanced i.e. big's are slow and guards aren't dropping 3's at will.

I had a few earlier since I was finally able to get the brown shirt off (store was down Friday)... It plays a bit different alright, I'm a PG and you defo feel a speed advantage against bigs of which there's always more.

Had a Pro-Am there, it wasn't working through career even as far as today, but tried it from the main menu this evening and it worked. It's a slog to find 10 though as it keeps moving been 7/8/9 over and over.
    When we did connect then it seemed to be against a team of friends and they stupidly picked black jersies and we naturally had black too.
    As much 2ks fault as there's to allow a clash.
    Only got 420 for the loss and was getting 260ish for wins in the Park, don't think I even got the coins in the end as they weren't there when I returned to the main menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jaycuz12

limerickfc wrote: »
    Would love more than a 1 player my career..do u pick your high school n college or is it just the same thing over n over again.?
    im pretty sure you can pick another high school teams and college also.

Right The Gauntlet in MyTeam is pissing me off now.

You have 10 of your players and pick one per game and only once in a play through.
    You get two random players. I've had 1/2 great players but generally one silver and one bronze is the theme, also got two bronze once.

Played a lad two games in a row with 75min each time.
    Basically he had back to back gold teams, he could pick one gold per session if he owns them but its supposed to be random for the other two while id garbage and only marginally lost twice.

I'm thinking now its one of these stupid things where he's progressed through more boards and gets higher as default while you're on a hiding to nothing getting garbage added to your bronze player.

Thought this mode had potential but I won't preserve if I'm just getting matched against "higher" ranked players with loaded teams.

To make it worse you might have a centre who's garbage with the ball and he stands on the 3 point line so you cant even use bad shooters and rebounders' to your advantage, bar pick and rolls.

• Advertisement

Ah that sounds shyte, should definitely be restricted to the same colour of cards at least.

Put much time into designing a court? Was gonna try make a Boards court for a pro-am team but doubt we would get 5 people from here on the same console at the same time.

Ah that sounds shyte, should definitely be restricted to the same colour of cards at least.

Put much time into designing a court? Was gonna try make a Boards court for a pro-am team but doubt we would get 5 people from here on the same console at the same time.

You need to collect a fair few cards to unlock the three customisable options.
    30 plus players so unless you're opening loads of packs or playing loads it'll take a while.

I've only played the Gauntlet and you only earn 250 odd for that

If we even had 3 from XB1 we could make a team, didn't they say ye could add AI filler?.
    As of now, walking on isn't working. Neigh on impossible to get 10 connected and it wont position ye great(could have 5 SGs).

I've managed one game in a fair few attempts. Awful set up for it.

The Park has gone the same way for me this year as last.
    I started on a great winning streak and basically won 2 from 12 odd since.
    Just keep getting Muppets as team mates.

Also did the same as last year adding a PF pretty quick, got through the story last night so both are about 69ish.
    Plan to use the PF more in the Park and hopefully put excess coins into the PG before returning to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

What teams have ye used lads.? Can ye notice much of a difference between them (tempo, movement etc).?

limerickfc wrote: »
    What teams have ye used lads.? Can ye notice much of a difference between them (tempo, movement etc).?

The main differences I've noticed have been general pace, you can theoretically sprint to the basket without having to go around by the baseline.
    So pace is definitely different this year.
    Also the AI sticks less to you in career, you move better off all..quicker... If a man near you beats his man, your defender will collapse which was rare last year.

Inbounds are taken quicker so there's potential for quick breaks, even some passes are snapper adding more fluency.

Have also noticed at least one AI player play different, Patrick Beverley will press the guard full court, not sure is it a badge trait but its nice to see variation in how the guards play you.

It plays better in most ways tbh, main gripes so far aren't with the gameplay but modes and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

I'd say kyries handles must be sick in the game

Finally downloading this, will hopefully have it for tonight. Does anyone know how the 10k VC and My Team cards preorder bonus works? Nothing extra downloading for me except the ps4 theme.

Finally downloading this, will hopefully have it for tonight. Does anyone know how the 10k VC and My Team cards preorder bonus works? Nothing extra downloading for me except the ps4 theme.

I got a code in the box but I'm sure it'll just be in the game if its a download.
    The 10k doesn't do much for your player this year.
    As for MyTeam I was under the impression I was getting 4 packs which guaranteed a top player but they were stock packs I only got Austin Rivers from.

Maybe it was only the dearer version getting those packs but didn't note that in the description I read before buying.

Got my 10k automatically alright, went into my team and had 3 packs as well as my starter pack. Tony Snell (silver) is the best player i have. I was fully sure i was suppose to get an emerald pack.

Only got to play a small part, I'm liking the small details, soundtrack is horrible as usual.

Ya I'm pretty sure it said something about all pre orders getting top packs.

Tbh it's not essential, when career opens up there's connections to make straight away, the third prize being a MyTeam card and there's loads of top players.
    Just got Mike Conley there(he was a team mate at the time, he opens up Gasol now).
    I'm not sure what happens if you make them unhappy(face changes, looks like a 3 strike system) but ill target a specific few to take each time they show.

Gives you access to a decent set of players without buying packs or putting time in.

On the soundtrack, two of the songs were in 2k11(or so)... It's a cardinal sin to recycle a previous song. :)

• Advertisement

Finished my highschool games, my 6'2 PG is having great fun anklebreaking the other fools before tearing down the rim. The writing is attrocious....i mean really bad.

Used my 10k and upgraded to a 60 rating, had to get rid of my dirty brown clothes of course bit the clothes choice is really limited. I really hope more unlock.

I really like the new passing buttons, pulled off some class plays using fancy passing.

Actually using post moves now as it feels more organic this year.

Advertisement