Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Conair79

I think your own biases are colouring your thoughts here - are you sure that you're cut out for the job?

You have yet to counter any post of mine, I'm afraid. I'm basing my thoughts on Dany Cotton and Dave Carroll's speeches at the CFOA conference this year.

It's certainly possible that positive action will not be taken in candidate selection. If so, it should be to increase participation by minority candidates. It is certainly not ruled out by any law or DCC policy.

That absolute fact isn't evidence for or against positive action.

Fair enough. Best of luck if you get an interview. 30 mins will be enough to expose your ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

Tardis wrote: »
    This thread has become boring.

Remember when it was about queries and concerns over stages of application?

Lads, can you start a new thread if you wish to talk about the ins and outs of the campaign?
    I find this thread helpful for getting useful information about the various stages and I believe that is what it’s for. I, and I’m sure many others, don’t want to get involved in arguments and hope this can be used as it was beforehand.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

I’ll attempt to get the thread back on track, done stage 2 assessments today, felt good during video observations but I feel the verbal and numerical in particular got away from me time-wise. But it’s done now just see what happens they said results will be out mid-December. Best of luck to everyone involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

I’ll attempt to get the thread back on track, done stage 2 assessments today, felt good during video observations but I feel the verbal and numerical in particular got away from me time-wise. But it’s done now just see what happens they said results will be out mid-December. Best of luck to everyone involved!

Yea same here but whats done is done fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

Conair79 wrote: »
    You clearly do mind, otherwise you wouldnt keep arguing that Women had an unfair advantage. Youre making excuses. The competition is open to everyone from aged 18 to 55. The next panel will be dominated by men. And the reason for that is more men will apply. The adverts (which i havent seen) are encouraging people of all backgrounds to apply. Which im sure follows the guidelines of being an equal opportunities employer. Did you get through to stage 2?

Yes I’m on stage two. I have been told this by firefighters and two officers but hey doesn’t effect me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

Aiming to get more women to apply for the role doesn't mean there will be preferential treatment given to women during the stages. All it does is, attracks more women to apply and if they make the cut its because they are the best 'person' for the job.
    Making people aware they can apply for a role doesnt hand it to them

DFB wouldnt risk its reputation to be bias.

Best of luck to everyone in stage 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Connerfire

Anyone know how many questions you need to get correct in the maths in order to pass?

Connerfire wrote: »
    Anyone know how many questions you need to get correct in the maths in order to pass?

Would love to know this too

As far as I know 6 is the qualifying standard but then you’re obviously rated in merit against other scores after that.

As far as I know 6 is the qualifying standard but then you’re obviously rated in merit against other scores after that.

So if you didn't do well in the numerical test but did well in other 3 test you still stand a good chance?

• Advertisement

Royal87 wrote: »
    So if you didn't do well in the numerical test but did well in other 3 test you still stand a good chance?

That’s what I’m hoping for personally lol

That maths was harder than what I was expecting a lot of gut in it lol got them all answered god knows now😂

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Can anyone confirm the forced retirement age for a fire fighter? If it is 55 (which I'm under the impression it is) why then is the cut off for the competition not a younger age?
    The competition is open to anyone 18-55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

didds wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the forced retirement age for a fire fighter? If it is 55 (which I'm under the impression it is) why then is the cut off for the competition not a younger age?
    The competition is open to anyone 18-55.

It’s currently 55 but they’re trying to get it to 58 with a medical each year after 55. There are 1 or 2 ff in the control room who are in there 56th year.

The oldest recruit I’ve known was 48 . The benefits of joining as young as possible is the pension you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Fire1985 wrote: »
    It’s currently 55 but they’re trying to get it to 58 with a medical each year after 55. There are 1 or 2 ff in the control room who are in there 56th year.

The oldest recruit I’ve known was 48 . The benefits of joining as young as possible is the pension you get.

Ok. Good to know. Cheers.

So we rekon 6 is the pass rate for the maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

So we rekon 6 is the pass rate for the maths?

How many questions are there total in the maths section?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scrabbles38

There where 21 questions... if you did the example questions on the link they sent us... in the review part it gave your score and said 6 is normal pass mark for this test... put it could be more it didn’t say

How many questions are there total in the maths section?

About 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Hi Guys, done aptitudes last week. Found all of them handy bar the maths and maths is my strength. They were ridiculously long winded questions. 6 is the qualifying score for the maths. You must reach the qualifying standard on all tests or you're out. You could get 100% in first three tests and get 5 maths questions right and you're eliminated. It said all that if you were listening on the day.

I've been here many times. I had two interviews in 2016 with DFB for separate competitions, scored very well but standard was so high. I've family in the job too and I still didn't make it. The interviews are very technical more than any job interview I've ever done, so be prepared. I finished all the tests but guessed a few maths as you've zero chance of getting it right if you tick nothing. First time the leaving certificate is a requirement, but the maths in my view should be simple arithmetic like last campaign these questions were just nonsense. Good luck all.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, done aptitudes last week. Found all of them handy bar the maths and maths is my strength. They were ridiculously long winded questions. 6 is the qualifying score for the maths. You must reach the qualifying standard on all tests or you're out. You could get 100% in first three tests and get 5 maths questions right and you're eliminated. It said all that if you were listening on the day.

I've been here many times. I had two interviews in 2016 with DFB for separate competitions, scored very well but standard was so high. I've family in the job too and I still didn't make it. The interviews are very technical more than any job interview I've ever done, so be prepared. I finished all the tests but guessed a few maths as you've zero chance of getting it right if you tick nothing. First time the leaving certificate is a requirement, but the maths in my view should be simple arithmetic like last campaign these questions were just nonsense. Good luck all.

When you interviews were technical can you explain in what way much appreciated.

When you interviews were technical can you explain in what way much appreciated.

I'd be giving you a head start if I went into detail :)

Just learn the role of firefighter, know why you want to be one and go visit a station or two, start preparing now. I didn't find my interviews particularly relaxing, they wanted to catch me out was the vibe and they did on one or two small technical firefighter related questions, that was ultimately the difference between success and failure.

The Interviews had four competencies, each scoring 200 points, the pass rate was 720!!! Essentially you must score 180 out of 200 for each competency, crazy high standard. You literally can't get a question wrong if you want to be on the panel!

Just learn the role of firefighter, know why you want to be one and go visit a station or two, start preparing now. I didn't find my interviews particularly relaxing, they wanted to catch me out was the vibe and they did on one or two small technical firefighter related questions, that was ultimately the difference between success and failure.

The Interviews had four competencies, each scoring 200 points, the pass rate was 720!!! Essentially you must score 180 out of 200 for each competency, crazy high standard. You literally can't get a question wrong if you want to be on the panel!

Thanks for that i was told never lie abouts situations cause they will catch you out

Thanks for that i was told never lie abouts situations cause they will catch you out

I personally never lie on my CV but alot do. I have a trade and they grilled me on that and all fire related aspects to my trade. So yes my advice tell the truth!

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Based on the information booklet the scoreing this time about is slightly different.
    if it is a matter of getting 90% in each section I may call it quits now. 10% of the overall score comes from previous experience and 10% comes from relevent education. not coming from a retaind, military, paramedic or CD background I believe i will score quite low in these two sections.

Based on the information booklet the scoreing this time about is slightly different.
    if it is a matter of getting 90% in each section I may call it quits now. 10% of the overall score comes from previous experience and 10% comes from relevent education. not coming from a retaind, military, paramedic or CD background I believe i will score quite low in these two sections.

That's nonsense to be honest, most successful candidates were extremely young, with limited experience on many fronts. I ticked a huge amount of boxes, I've a trade, family in it, and was a frontline emergency worker in another Government job and still failed. It's a young man's game, very few people over 40 get the job it happens but not common. They want young people who they know they'll get decades of service from. Your age in my view is a huge factor. People say it has to be fair but the interview board can score you however they wish and you can't really dig any deeper than just asking to see your feedback.

The majority of successful candidates will be under 30 it's just a fact of life.

That's nonsense to be honest, most successful candidates were extremely young, with limited experience on many fronts. I ticked a huge amount of boxes, I've a trade, family in it, and was a frontline emergency worker in another Government job and still failed. It's a young man's game, very few people over 40 get the job it happens but not common. They want young people who they know they'll get decades of service from. Your age in my view is a huge factor. People say it has to be fair but the interview board can score you however they wish and you can't really dig any deeper than just asking to see your feedback.

The majority of successful candidates will be under 30 it's just a fact of life.

What age were you last interview ?

What age were you last interview ?

37, I know guys far older who get the job, but the majority will be in their twenties and early thirties. You also have to do a brilliant interview that is a fact there is really zero room for error.

Just comparing the interview to other jobs I've had it rates far more difficult.

• Advertisement

Why does having family in the job be such a big factor?

Advertisement