Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

That's nonsense to be honest, most successful candidates were extremely young, with limited experience on many fronts. I ticked a huge amount of boxes, I've a trade, family in it, and was a frontline emergency worker in another Government job and still failed. It's a young man's game, very few people over 40 get the job it happens but not common. They want young people who they know they'll get decades of service from. Your age in my view is a huge factor. People say it has to be fair but the interview board can score you however they wish and you can't really dig any deeper than just asking to see your feedback.

The majority of successful candidates will be under 30 it's just a fact of life.

Why does having family in the job be such a big factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Royal87 wrote: »
    Why does having family in the job be such a big factor?

It's not anymore, it used to count, but it did nothing for me. As I said you still must perform at interview, everything else becomes a bonus if you ace the interview. I got two tiny technical questions wrong the last time and failed you could argue only a fireman might know the answers! But your competencies are the main bulk of your scoring but make no mistake the little additional questions can make the difference between getting the job or not.

it may be nonsense but its set out in black and white in the information booklet. the score for the order of merit on the panel will be made up from the following:

30% Marks achieved in Stage 2 test/assessment
    10% Formal education attainment/ relevant qualifications
    10% Relevant work/other experience

Competencies (marks awarded at interview)
    10% Motivation to be a Firefighter
    10% Dealing with People
    10% Coping with Difficult Situations
    10% Adaptability and Willingness to Learn
    10% Effective Communication Skills

So 50% of your overall score as a candidate is already decided before you go to interview.

That, I'm pretty sure was not the case the last campaign but things are changing, leaving certificate now a requirement and new maths test, the other tests were identical to last campaign. If this is now the case then an older candidate with a substantial working history and education is now in with a better chance than someone fresh out of school you'd imagine. Interesting, I personally think every stage prior to interview should count, but it definitely didn't last campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

That, I'm pretty sure was not the case the last campaign but things are changing, leaving certificate now a requirement and new maths test, the other tests were identical to last campaign. If this is now the case then an older candidate with a substantial working history and education is now in with a better chance than someone fresh out of school you'd imagine. Interesting, I personally think every stage prior to interview should count, but it definitely didn't last campaign.
    So basically get professional interviewing grinds😂

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Lads, are we all aware the competition is still active? Aware, giving good detailed information about what you should be doing prior to interview, to people you could potentially be competing against? This comp is down to dotting the i's and crossing the t's, it's that close. Don't do yourself over this early on.

I'm all for helping people out, but come on like, save that stuff for the job and focus and keep it zipped until you get in.

Someone on here last time at interview level gave nearly everyone past Mon/Tues a question out on here that came up on them days, I personally feel that anyone that went on here and into an interview after, knew full well to know about a certain topic putting them at an advantage.

Also, posting up information that was sent out to everyone, I mean come on, your reading the booklet for people and giving them an advantage. It's there in black and white in the booklet, how this will all work.

Call me an arsehole if you want, but I uploaded the booklet for people on here, if they can/can't be arsed reading it then it's not my problem either. Then there are lads that don't even post on here, just suck the information out of the place, contribute nothing at all.

Comment away to your hearts content after the stage is done, until then, remember, it's a competition and your competitors are on here.

Again, I'll apologies, sorry if it comes across as rude, arrogant or a prick comment.

• Advertisement

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Lads, are we all aware the competition is still active? Aware, giving good detailed information about what you should be doing prior to interview, to people you could potentially be competing against? This comp is down to dotting the i's and crossing the t's, it's that close. Don't do yourself over this early on.

I'm all for helping people out, but come on like, save that stuff for the job and focus and keep it zipped until you get in.

Someone on here last time at interview level gave nearly everyone past Mon/Tues a question out on here that came up on them days, I personally feel that anyone that went on here and into an interview after, knew full well to know about a certain topic putting them at an advantage.

Also, posting up information that was sent out to everyone, I mean come on, your reading the booklet for people and giving them an advantage. It's there in black and white in the booklet, how this will all work.

Call me an arsehole if you want, but I uploaded the booklet for people on here, if they can/can't be arsed reading it then it's not my problem either. Then there are lads that don't even post on here, just suck the information out of the place, contribute nothing at all.

Comment away to your hearts content after the stage is done, until then, remember, it's a competition and your competitors are on here.

Again, I'll apologies, sorry if it comes across as rude, arrogant or a prick comment.

Very little was revealed, the competencies have been listed for all to see, your motivation to be a firefighter is very personal and everyone will answer it differently. The only other thing I suggested is visit a fire station and anyone who gets to interview stage will know that, it's common knowledge. Apart from that all that was said is prepare!

I hear you though, there are only a handful of the 932 candidates who've spoken here, but guaranteed the majority are watching in looking for nuggets of information. This is my last post here, until the interviews are over. What will be will be, I know personally if I don't get it this time, then I'm done trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nifrs975

Very little was revealed, the competencies have been listed for all to see, your motivation to be a firefighter is very personal and everyone will answer it differently. The only other thing I suggested is visit a fire station and anyone who gets to interview stage will know that, it's common knowledge. Apart from that all that was said is prepare!

I hear you though, there are only a handful of the 932 candidates who've spoken here, but guaranteed the majority are watching in looking for nuggets of information. This is my last post here, until the interviews are over. What will be will be, I know personally if I don't get it this time, then I'm done trying.

So i know a lad who got an email to say he was 1100 and they were only bringing forward 932. Then he got a second email to say that they have decided to bring him to stage two supervised tests. So there may be a lot more people in the competition than you may think

Nifrs975 wrote: »
    So i know a lad who got an email to say he was 1100 and they were only bringing forward 932. Then he got a second email to say that they have decided to bring him to stage two supervised tests. So there may be a lot more people in the competition than you may think

That was cause a lot of cheaters with more accounts never booked test so they called extra 200 to fill the 932 they are looking for .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 C2019

Yeah a lot of people set up duplicate accounts and did the tests twice !

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Royal87 wrote: »
    Its just bull s*** seems to me he feels hard done by already. I feel that someone that makes those stupid comments should consider there care in the emergency sector. Its the 21st century and we live in a multi culture society

You sound like a robot repeating the nonsense that was planted into your head. Ireland is over 80% ethnic Irish, it is not a multi cultural society.

Affirmative action is an affront to meritocracy, it should never be tolerated in our society as it always leads to lower quality candidates getting into positions they don't deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Quadrivium wrote: »
    You sound like a robot repeating the nonsense that was planted into your head. Ireland is over 80% ethnic Irish, it is not a multi cultural society.

Affirmative action is an affront to meritocracy, it should never be tolerated in our society as it always leads to lower quality candidates getting into positions they don't deserve.

I couldn't disagree more. Homogenous groups tend to remain homogenous - an entropic kick is required to break the status quo, and just like with local maxima in evolution, we're all better off in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Sorry if my post annoyed you, out of respect for your concerns I’ve deleted my post but I cannot do anything about the quoted reply. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

I couldn't disagree more. Homogenous groups tend to remain homogenous - an entropic kick is required to break the status quo, and just like with local maxima in evolution, we're all better off in the end.

Homogeneity is a net positive. Why would Irish people want to be forced into anything else? Harvard Professor Pompeo's recent research has proven that forced diversity is a net bad for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Sorry if my post annoyed you, out of respect for your concerns I’ve deleted my post but I cannot do anything about the quoted reply. ðŸ‘

Hey. Nothing has been posted here that isn't readily available information. Yes, it's a competition, but the type of person who is willing to help those around them is surely exactly what's required for the job. The application form for the interview will eliminate a lot, the interviews will eliminate more. What you don't want beside you on the job in an emotionally charged environment are the easily offended and those with only themselves in view. We're going to be required to work shoulder to shoulder. We may not always agree with each other but we have to be there for each other. And lads, please stop/ move the race discussion elsewhere. Iys goong to go sour quickly. Weve already had the racist accusation card pulled out here. We Irish are a bastard mix of whomever invaded us over the centuries. We're the mongrels of Europe and should be proud of it! Best of luck to you all in the competition. Hope to meet some of you some day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

So is today the final day for stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

So is today the final day for stage 2?

Yes last PAS stage 2 tests are this evening I believe. The wait begins for the results!
    I’d be confident I passed stage 2, but if I got a score good enough to help my overall order of merit I’m not too sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Yes last PAS stage 2 tests are this evening I believe. The wait begins for the results!
    I’d be confident I passed stage 2, but if I got a score good enough to help my overall order of merit I’m not too sure!

I think that's the overall feeling. I think there'll be a lot of disappointed people in 2 weeks time

Is any of the tests negative marking?

Is any of the tests negative marking?

I really hope not! If it is, the math element killed my chances.

didds wrote: »
    I really hope not! If it is, the math element killed my chances.

Same here did you answer them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

I hope I did enough but I’m not as confident as I was going in. I found the maths ok surprisingly enough but I’m not sure if that’s because I practiced it so much because I was least confident on that. I was most confident with the observational tests going in but I found the videos to be much faster than I expected! I was delighted getting through stage 1 and thought that would be the biggest obstacle but I’ma lot less confident now.
    Anyway, mid December can’t come quick enough! Good luck all

Same here did you answer them all

No, I ran out of time on them so I didn't get to complete the section. Very confident of the previous section though, so I'm hopeful of enough to be invited to fill in an application for interview. If not, it's game over for me. I'm pushing my luck age wise as it is I think, so I wont be looking to sign up again in future.

No, I ran out of time on them so I didn't get to complete the section. Very confident of the previous section though, so I'm hopeful of enough to be invited to fill in an application for interview. If not, it's game over for me. I'm pushing my luck age wise as it is I think, so I wont be looking to sign up again in future.

What’s your age?

What’s your age?
    Wrong side of 40. ☺

Just curious lads and girls, how many of you have direct experience of working for or with the fire service or similar? I know there are a couple of retained fire fighters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Just curious lads and girls, how many of you have direct experience of working for or with the fire service or similar? I know there are a couple of retained fire fighters here.

Zero myself! I know I have come across as prick with some of my comments before, I don't know why DCC don't have some sort of direct access route into DFB for lads on the front line already in retained station, bizarre if you ask me.

Zero myself! I know I have come across as prick with some of my comments before, I don't know why DCC don't have some sort of direct access route into DFB for lads on the front line already in retained station, bizarre if you ask me.

Can they not skip stage 1 and 2 at least? Surely apptitude is proven and it should be apply and be interviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Can they not skip stage 1 and 2 at least? Surely apptitude is proven and it should be apply and be interviewed.

Sure if you’re a fulltime ff in a different county you still have to go through the whole process again and do fire training again if you get dfb . Madness & a waste of money

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Sure if you’re a fulltime ff in a different county you still have to go through the whole process again and do fire training again if you get dfb . Madness & a waste of money

Really? That's ridiculous. You have to do your heights / BA/ Hothouse, calfs etc all as though you're a rookie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Really? That's ridiculous. You have to do your heights / BA/ Hothouse, calfs etc all as though you're a rookie?

Yes , it’s crazy . The only way around it is to get a swap with someone in dfb . Then you’d only have to do the paramedic course.

Advertisement