Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Tardis wrote: »
    Well only the people being interviewed are sent them

Ok so

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

Tardis wrote: »
    Well only the people being interviewed are sent them

Via post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Via post ?

Yeah once you hit interview stages PAS are finished with it and it's DCC taking over correspondence and they do it through post

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Fire1985 wrote: »
    So if they send you a application form are you guaranteed a interview?

Not guaranteed. Stage 3 is defined as:

Based on the marks achieved in the Stage 2, a number of candidates will be invited to complete and submit an Application Form to Dublin City Council. Dublin City Council reserves the right to shortlist candidates based on the information supplied in the completed Application Forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Not guaranteed. Stage 3 is defined as:

Based on the marks achieved in the Stage 2, a number of candidates will be invited to complete and submit an Application Form to Dublin City Council. Dublin City Council reserves the right to shortlist candidates based on the information supplied in the completed Application Forms.

I’d a feeling I read that somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I read it the same as The_Pete_Fella did.

As in, if you pass this stage, then it's submit another application, then the best of them get selected. Could be the style of, 'Describe a time you helped out in a team, please do so in 500 words or less'.

Anyway, best not worrying about that and cross that bridge down the line if we are lucky enough to get a shout for that stage.

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    I read it the same as The_Pete_Fella did.

As in, if you pass this stage, then it's submit another application, then the best of them get selected. Could be the style of, 'Describe a time you helped out in a team, please do so in 500 words or less'.

Anyway, best not worrying about that and cross that bridge down the line if we are lucky enough to get a shout for that stage.
    Basically if your a girl and foreign and pass the next stage your good they are looking for lot of girls and foreign people this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

Basically if your a girl and foreign and pass the next stage your good they are looking for lot of girls and foreign people this year.

Jesus sexism at it best right there not to be meantion racism. You sure the role would be for you. 🀔🀔

Royal87 wrote: »
    Jesus sexism at it best right there not to be meantion racism. You sure the role would be for you. 🀔🀔

It’s not It is well known for this campaign

It’s not It is well known for this campaign

From where is it well known? No where on the recruitment campaign did it say they encourage felmale / ethnic groups etc.

Unlike the Guards they specifically said it in their recruitment drive. Is it just all idle gossip your hearing from a lad that knows a lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

From where is it well known? No where on the recruitment campaign did it say they encourage felmale / ethnic groups etc.

Unlike the Guards they specifically said it in their recruitment drive. Is it just all idle gossip your hearing from a lad that knows a lad.

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but they hired JWT Folk to create the campaign specifically to appeal to people who wouldn't normally consider a career in firefighting, including women and non-nationals. They even produced ads in Italian, Spanish and Polish.

There has been a heavy emphasis on, in particular, recruiting women into fire services in Ireland - the Women's Fire Service Network conference earlier this year addressed the issue heavily. Only 2.5% of full-time firefighters are women. The recent advertising campaign was specifically tailored to attract more female applicants in light of this.

I think it's safe to say that female candidates who meet the standard have an excellent chance of being selected for training (and rightly so, in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Without risk of policical derailment. Women are unrepresented in the fire service it's a male dominated workforce.

However I don't buy into this crack of 50/50 splits. Some jobs just attracted more males than females, it's not the organisation at fault. It's just males or females don't like the idea of certain roles. Thus you'll never have a true 50/50 balance in some workforces.

If however a job is been sexist in interviews or giving preference to females or males, then that is also wrong. The best candidate should get the role be it male or female.

Reading through the information booklet it says scores obtained in this campaign could be kept in the event of emergency call taker positions been made available anyone know if they will run a campaign for emergency call takers

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but they hired JWT Folk to create the campaign specifically to appeal to people who wouldn't normally consider a career in firefighting, including women and non-nationals. They even produced ads in Italian, Spanish and Polish.

There has been a heavy emphasis on, in particular, recruiting women into fire services in Ireland - the Women's Fire Service Network conference earlier this year addressed the issue heavily. Only 2.5% of full-time firefighters are women. The recent advertising campaign was specifically tailored to attract more female applicants in light of this.

I think it's safe to say that female candidates who meet the standard have an excellent chance of being selected for training (and rightly so, in my opinion).

Thank you getting called racist sexist for speaking facts lol

Reading through the information booklet it says scores obtained in this campaign could be kept in the event of emergency call taker positions been made available anyone know if they will run a campaign for emergency call takers

Yes within 12 months

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Without risk of policical derailment. Women are unrepresented in the fire service it's a male dominated workforce.

However I don't buy into this crack of 50/50 splits. Some jobs just attracted more males than females, it's not the organisation at fault. It's just males or females don't like the idea of certain roles. Thus you'll never have a true 50/50 balance in some workforces.

If however a job is been sexist in interviews or giving preference to females or males, then that is also wrong. The best candidate should get the role be it male or female.

I agree that 50/50 is not a suitable target. However, the research is clear that companies and industries need to reach a certain minimum viable cohort of the under-represented gender in order to be broadly attractive to that gender. This is also true for males in traditionally female-dominated fields such as primary school teaching and nursing.

It is much more difficult for the initial cohort to make an entry into the field than it is for subsequent people, and those initial trailblazers need support to form that cohort. In this period, gender-blind recruitment is not necessarily the best approach or the fairest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Conair79

Some of the posts on this thread are ridiculous. If you didnt get through to the next stage, request feedback. Instead of blaming others or some gender based conspiracy, take a look at where YOU were short. PAS was set up for a number of reasons, transparency included. Your gender has nothing to do with your suitability for any role. Good recruitment hires the best candidates, who meet the criteria set out. To suggest anything else is nonsense

Conair79 wrote: »
    Some of the posts on this thread are ridiculous. If you didnt get through to the next stage, request feedback. Instead of blaming others or some gender based conspiracy, take a look at where YOU were short. PAS was set up for a number of reasons, transparency included. Your gender has nothing to do with your suitability for any role. Good recruitment hires the best candidates, who meet the criteria set out. To suggest anything else is nonsense

Well said

They want more girls and foreign people this campaign that’s a fact from word of higher up people and by looking at the adverts
    I don’t really mind like losing out to girls or others but just stating the facts for this campaign.

They want more girls and foreign people this campaign that’s a fact from word of higher up people and by looking at the adverts
    I don’t really mind like losing out to girls or others but just stating the facts for this campaign.

You clearly do mind, otherwise you wouldnt keep arguing that Women had an unfair advantage. Youre making excuses. The competition is open to everyone from aged 18 to 55. The next panel will be dominated by men. And the reason for that is more men will apply. The adverts (which i havent seen) are encouraging people of all backgrounds to apply. Which im sure follows the guidelines of being an equal opportunities employer. Did you get through to stage 2?

• Advertisement

You clearly do mind, otherwise you wouldnt keep arguing that Women had an unfair advantage. Youre making excuses. The competition is open to everyone from aged 18 to 55. The next panel will be dominated by men. And the reason for that is more men will apply. The adverts (which i havent seen) are encouraging people of all backgrounds to apply. Which im sure follows the guidelines of being an equal opportunities employer. Did you get through to stage 2?

I havent seenor heard any adverts

I havent seenor heard any adverts

Me either.

You should read Section 24(1) of the Employment Equality Act 1998 and Section 14(b)(i) of the Equal Status Act 2000, which are, respectively:

The provisions of this Act are without prejudice to measures to promote equal opportunity for men and women, in particular by removing existing inequalities which affect women's opportunities in the areas of access to employment, vocational training and promotion, and working conditions.

Nothing in this Act shall be construed as prohibiting—
    (b) preferential treatment or the taking of positive measures which are bona fide intended to—

(i) promote equality of opportunity for persons who are, in relation to other persons, disadvantaged or who have been or are likely to be unable to avail themselves of the same opportunities as those other persons,

This is the legislative basis that allows for positive action to reach gender balance. There is no obstacle in law to prevent the local authority from taking steps to increase the number of female firefighters, and doing so does not mean that other candidates are being treated unfairly.

PAS will not have used gender as a selection criteria in stages 1 & 2, but DCC can take steps to increase the number of females on the panel in the forthcoming steps.

Me either.

Its just bull s*** seems to me he feels hard done by already. I feel that someone that makes those stupid comments should consider there care in the emergency sector. Its the 21st century and we live in a multi culture society

You should read Section 24(1) of the Employment Equality Act 1998 and Section 14(b)(i) of the Equal Status Act 2000, which are, respectively:

This is the legislative basis that allows for positive action to reach gender balance. There is no obstacle in law to prevent the local authority from taking steps to increase the number of female firefighters, and doing so does not mean that other candidates are being treated unfairly.

PAS will not have used gender as a selection criteria in stages 1 & 2, but DCC can take steps to increase the number of females on the panel in the forthcoming steps.

What existing inequalities can be removed with regard to applying for the role of firefighter?

What existing inequalities can be removed with regard to applying for the role of firefighter?

Only 2.5% of full time firefighters are female, which is evidence of a systematic inequality. There is no requirement to identify specific issues - there is precedent that the legislation allows for positive action to reach gender targets. Examples include female-only panels as laid out by the Gender Equality Action Plan for Higher Education Institutions 2018-2020, and the target of gender balance in senior civil service positions in the Civil Service Renewal Plan 2014.

I support positive actions taken to increase female participation in traditionally male fields, and I think that the focus on female firefighters rights a historical inequality - it is not unfair to male candidates.

However, there is no basis for your confidence that positive actions are not taken to recruit female (and other minority) candidates to be firefighters.

Only 2.5% of full time firefighters are female, which is evidence of a systematic inequality. There is no requirement to identify specific issues - there is precedent that the legislation allows for positive action to reach gender targets. Examples include female-only panels as laid out by the Gender Equality Action Plan for Higher Education Institutions 2018-2020, and the target of gender balance in senior civil service positions in the Civil Service Renewal Plan 2014.

I support positive actions taken to increase female participation in traditionally male fields, and I think that the focus on female firefighters rights a historical inequality - it is not unfair to male candidates.

However, there is no basis for your confidence that positive actions are not taken to recruit female (and other minority) candidates to be firefighters.

There is even less basis that action is being taken to give women an unfair advantage. You can back up your arguement with nothing only an opinion or what you heard. I countered yours and others posts because you have zero basis to your argument, only speculation.But here is an absolute fact. There were 5 women who started and completed recruit training from the last panel of 160. Of course DCC want women to apply. That doesnt mean they get preferential treatment

There is even less basis that action is being taken to give women an unfair advantage.

I think your own biases are colouring your thoughts here - are you sure that you're cut out for the job?

You can back up your arguement with nothing only an opinion or what you heard. I countered yours and others posts because you have zero basis to your argument, only speculation.But here is an absolute fact.

You have yet to counter any post of mine, I'm afraid. I'm basing my thoughts on Dany Cotton and Dave Carroll's speeches at the CFOA conference this year.

It's certainly possible that positive action will not be taken in candidate selection. If so, it should be to increase participation by minority candidates. It is certainly not ruled out by any law or DCC policy.

There were 5 women who started and completed recruit training from the last panel of 160. Of course DCC want women to apply. That doesnt mean they get preferential treatment

That absolute fact isn't evidence for or against positive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

This thread has become boring.

Remember when it was about queries and concerns over stages of application?

• Advertisement

I think your own biases are colouring your thoughts here - are you sure that you're cut out for the job?

You have yet to counter any post of mine, I'm afraid. I'm basing my thoughts on Dany Cotton and Dave Carroll's speeches at the CFOA conference this year.

It's certainly possible that positive action will not be taken in candidate selection. If so, it should be to increase participation by minority candidates. It is certainly not ruled out by any law or DCC policy.

That absolute fact isn't evidence for or against positive action.
    What bias? Im a male firefighter

Advertisement