Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

Royal87 wrote: »
    Did the test yesterday first 3 i found ok.
    When it came to maths one i was so wrong!!
    I know i got a few right but i found the questions were worded in a way you had to keep reading it over and over.

I did alot of practice on time in / time out for BA sets which was on last test.
    Also getting areas of spaces etc. But the maths i think in general not suited for the role of a fire fighter in my opinion.

I am wondering what the pass rate be in the maths side of it.

Was the questions long to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

Shamrock12 wrote: »
    in all fairness that is a genuine reason why some people fail. they are **** a math's. i for one am not very good at math's in saying that math's that i need to know for the job i am doing i will make it my business to know the best i can. i made it to stage 2 in the A Category thank god but i will be honest with myself stage 2 math's got me not because of the actual answers of the actual equations it was all the mumble jumble reading you had to do first with very little time to do it hope i passed enough of them we will see.

Will all the scores be combined do you think?

Royal87 wrote: »
    Will all the scores be combined do you think?

I’ve heard it is but god knows

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Shamrock12 wrote: »
    in all fairness that is a genuine reason why some people fail. they are **** a math's. i for one am not very good at math's in saying that math's that i need to know for the job i am doing i will make it my business to know the best i can. i made it to stage 2 in the A Category thank god but i will be honest with myself stage 2 math's got me not because of the actual answers of the actual equations it was all the mumble jumble reading you had to do first with very little time to do it hope i passed enough of them we will see.

Same story here. Scored well on 1st stage and am pretty confident of my scores for first elements of testing at stage 2 but didn't complete all the maths questions before timeout.
    The only truly math related aspects of FB I can think of might be in operating BA control boards or calculating necessary air exchange rates for ventilation..i doubt if those jobs are left to just anyone on the team though. Anyhow, time will tell. Best of luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

didds wrote: »
    The only truly math related aspects of FB I can think of might be in operating BA control boards or calculating necessary air exchange rates for ventilation..i doubt if those jobs are left to just anyone on the team though

Also calculating volumes of water used/ available at a job, flow rates, whether enough water in a pool/ tank for example. Calculating amounts of foam required at a job would all require a knowledge of maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

didds wrote: »
    Same story here. Scored well on 1st stage and am pretty confident of my scores for first elements of testing at stage 2 but didn't complete all the maths questions before timeout.
    The only truly math related aspects of FB I can think of might be in operating BA control boards or calculating necessary air exchange rates for ventilation..i doubt if those jobs are left to just anyone on the team though. Anyhow, time will tell. Best of luck all!

I'm not a FF but I have some emergency medical and marine firefighter training, and there is a fair amount of maths in each. A lot of people find it hard to work out the simple formulae for things like dilution to get the correct dosage for meds, estimating child body weights, etc. On the FF side, at the very least you need to be able to work out nozzle pressure from pump pressure as you add lines, be able to estimate the size of the fire and affected area, work out the available flow rate, work out the pressure require to get water to altitude, etc.

My guess is there's a lot of formulae to learn and a lot of basic algebra to apply them, which is what is tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shamrock12

Yes exactly what I was saying but look it us what it is nothing we can do now

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shamrock12

I totally get all that but for me iam more of an on the job learning what I mean is I pick things up quicker maths included. To be honest no one will know all of that stuff going into the job you learn as you go having the basics I can understand you need abit of

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

As they say, your always learning in any job.

Don't stress it, that goes for anyone taking the tests or has taken it.

Just be conscious folks, it's still a competitive process and people are still due to take the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Shamrock12, what's done is done now, best just forgetting about it and wait on results and your not alone on the maths side of things. If you wanted 100% in that Maths test you would easily need 60 mins, I really don't think they are expecting 100% or even it to be fully completed either.

I would agree with Atlantic101 also, it's very fairly run.

Except for the first part that appears to have been discriminatory in regards to gender and age. Ridiculously simple tests.

• Advertisement

I'm not a FF but I have some emergency medical and marine firefighter training, and there is a fair amount of maths in each. A lot of people find it hard to work out the simple formulae for things like dilution to get the correct dosage for meds, estimating child body weights, etc. On the FF side, at the very least you need to be able to work out nozzle pressure from pump pressure as you add lines, be able to estimate the size of the fire and affected area, work out the available flow rate, work out the pressure require to get water to altitude, etc.

My guess is there's a lot of formulae to learn and a lot of basic algebra to apply them, which is what is tested.

Up until very recently all that was required to become a FF was the Junior cert then it became a leaving cert, the math requirement is very easy although it appears the tests were unjustifiably hard.

Quadrivium wrote: »
    Except for the first part that appears to have been discriminatory in regards to gender and age. Ridiculously simple tests.

Not going to disagree/agree.

I will just say, if people feel that strongly about it, then there are channels to complain via if you feel there are discrimination issues.

Although I will say, they are not tests, they are questionnaires to get a gauge on your personality.

In turn, it's a ****ty way to gauge you, I won't disagree. However, lets be honest, there is no way to get the numbers down and people will be disappointed.

At each stage there are going to be people utterly disappointed, I got to interview one time, I got 75% on that interview and still didn't make the panel, the pass rate for them interviews I think was about 85%, that is the level we are talking here. You had 200 points in last interview. There have been people on a panel that was stood down also, I can't even imagine receiving such a letter, I would cry to be honest. The question is, do you dust yourself on and try again or not.

Not going to disagree/agree.

I will just say, if people feel that strongly about it, then there are channels to complain via if you feel there are discrimination issues.

Although I will say, they are not tests, they are questionnaires to get a gauge on your personality.

In turn, it's a ****ty way to gauge you, I won't disagree. However, lets be honest, there is no way to get the numbers down and people will be disappointed.

At each stage there are going to be people utterly disappointed, I got to interview one time, I got 75% on that interview and still didn't make the panel, the pass rate for them interviews I think was about 85%, that is the level we are talking here. You had 200 points in last interview. There have been people on a panel that was stood down also, I can't even imagine receiving such a letter, I would cry to be honest. The question is, do you dust yourself on and try again or not.

I agree, and couldn't be bothered complaining for many reasons one of them being the reality that it will be ignored or dismissed. The first stage was not very transparent.

If the goal is to get the best Fire Fighter/Paramedic then subjective questionnaires are fairly pointless, particularly when they were formulated by non Fire Fighters.

Who is best to decide if someone has what it takes to become a FF but a FF with years of experience. I understand that numbers must be culled but surely it should have been done in a more objective manner and with a stronger emphasis on transferable skills and actual job specific ability.

All that said, best of luck to everyone in the mix, hopefully those who get through to the recruit stage have a long and safe career.

I agree, and couldn't be bothered complaining for many reasons one of them being the reality that it will be ignored or dismissed. The first stage was not very transparent.

If the goal is to get the best Fire Fighter/Paramedic then subjective questionnaires are fairly pointless, particularly when they were formulated by non Fire Fighters.

Who is best to decide if someone has what it takes to become a FF but a FF with years of experience. I understand that numbers must be culled but surely it should have been done in a more objective manner and with a stronger emphasis on transferable skills and actual job specific ability.

All that said, best of luck to everyone in the mix, hopefully those who get through to the recruit stage have a long and safe career.

I have done these tests with Garda/FF/IE/ESB previously and to be honest, if I understood them, then I would be a rich man.

I'll be honest, I know it's annoying. I have first hand experience with the ESB tests, I took both for me and my GF, I got a rejection email, her phone was getting call after call with VMs to arrange interview. That seriously pissed me off. I decided there and then to never ever ever attempt that again. When your in the competitive mind you just want to win. Take one test and one test only, and be honest on that test.

I could rabble on, I will just say this to anyone that did not make it in stage 1, just try research the stage more, try improve, apply for jobs just for the tests to build your knowledge on them. Whatever you do, if you really want it, please don't give up, keep going. The wait is a killer, if it's for you it won't pass you by!

Is the interviews a big click?

Is the interviews a big click?

No. You have a person from DCC, DFB and an person outside both at the table.

Far from a click.

It's competency based, so it should be based off your answers.

I was going to give an answer, I will look at my results and see what way it was marked.

Looking at a sheeting I have in front of me I have to correct something.

It was 800 points, with the average pass rate at 720, which was in fact 90% in interview. Been honest, I am a bit shocked, little room for error at 90%+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Up until very recently all that was required to become a FF was the Junior cert then it became a leaving cert, the math requirement is very easy although it appears the tests were unjustifiably hard.

They changed it to Leaving cert because PHECC requested it . To be a paramedic with hse you need a leaving cert so dfb have changed it, so I’m told . They’ve changed the physical test as-well which is way easier now .

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hoopy1888

Hi. I'm sure it's been asked before but couldn't locate it but can I ask what's the breakdown for stage 2 test (supervised)
    What's do you exactly do on the day ?
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

It’s all in the stage 2 information booklet that was sent out to us

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Do you get a calculator in the aptitude test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

No. You have a person from DCC, DFB and an person outside both at the table.

Far from a click.

It's competency based, so it should be based off your answers.

I was going to give an answer, I will look at my results and see what way it was marked.

Looking at a sheeting I have in front of me I have to correct something.

It was 800 points, with the average pass rate at 720, which was in fact 90% in interview. Been honest, I am a bit shocked, little room for error at 90%+

Hi, Could you break that down for me please? How is the interview scored? Competency based? Are there skills to perform for the panel?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DuckyFuzz

kingstevii wrote: »
    Do you get a calculator in the aptitude test?

Yes

What’s dfb policy on visible tattoos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JTH80

Loads of firefighters with visible tatoos

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

No problem once not on face. Hands arms etc no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

Any body know when stage 2 is complete?

Any body know when stage 2 is complete?

This Friday is it ?

Is the next stage an application form or cv or something like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Fire1985 wrote: »
    This Friday is it ?

Is the next stage an application form or cv or something like that ?

Interview and you'll be sent an application form beforehand

Tardis wrote: »
    Interview and you'll be sent an application form beforehand

So if they send you a application form are you guaranteed a interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Fire1985 wrote: »
    So if they send you a application form are you guaranteed a interview?

Well only the people being interviewed are sent them

Advertisement