Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zion84

My understanding is in 2007 801 candidates went through to the interview stage. So we should expect around 1500 going through to stage two this year. Allowing x amount to to be culled for next stage.
    In 2007 the entrance exam had only one stage ie. supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

Zion84 wrote: »
    So we should expect around 1500 going through to stage two this year.

I would not have any expectations. You have nothing to base it on and neither do i. Making statements like that might come across as cocky. Its wait and see and untill we see it in writing its only hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zion84

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    They only drew the top 801 candidates.

I felt your "statement" wasn't accurate tbh. Only 800 going through at this early stage wouldn't make much sense if they're looking to fill a panel of 200+. Like I said it's only my opinion. It's all speculation I suppose. That's usually what happens on forums. Sharing our thoughts etc.

I felt your "statement" wasn't accurate tbh. Only 800 going through at this early stage wouldn't make much sense

I never stated that they would only bring 800 forward. I said that in 2007 only 801 were brought forward. I did say my guess (in a much previous post) that they might only bring 1000 people through to the next round. but as i said its a guess. Im not stating what anyone should expect.

anyone here either got above the average or didnt. If they did then all those people are in the same boat. waiting. Look im not trying to be pedantic but your comment
    So we should expect around 1500 going through to stage two this year

Is not going to do anyone any favors. I know there will be lads pulling their hair out and looking for information and waiting, but when you say "we" it could be conceived that you are implying you are in the know and possibly giving false hope to others.

Im really not trying to get petty but i just dont think its a productive statement. Its a completely new style of competition that has not been seen before so none of us have "the inside track" myself included. I am merely speculating on the figures from 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I've mailed PAS to see if they can clarify some more on how many will be going through to the next stage, i'll post the response I get back from them and hopefully it can bring some clarity for those higher up the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I have just been told by someone in the know that 2000 candidates will be brought through for the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Cedric87 wrote: »
    I have just been told by someone in the know that 2000 candidates will be brought through for the next stage.

Never mind the numbers ! Whats the next step in this process is it verification or is it supervised aptitude tests ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

TallGlass wrote: »
    Never mind the numbers ! Whats the next step in this process is it verification or is it supervised aptitude tests ?
    That might be OK for u! But for some people it dose matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

For controllers, double the number they where intending to interview where called to next stage. So 250 called for 125 interviews. Presume it'll be same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I've been told it will be further aptitude exams supervised then interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭davinci88

5500 wrote: »
    I've mailed PAS to see if they can clarify some more on how many will be going through to the next stage, i'll post the response I get back from them and hopefully it can bring some clarity for those higher up the list

Im looking forward to seeing what comes back from this as a lot of people in the dark .

As for people being told by people "in the know" !!! Ive seen that before in other walks of life and I wouldn't take it as gospel , can lead to disappointment .

Just a thought !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Here's the reply I got, no clarification for you guys unfortunately

Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for your email, we have not yet confirmed the number of candidates that will be called forward to stage 2. We are hoping to contact candidates in the new year with further details of the next stage.

Kind regards,

Either ways sit tight and enjoy your Christmas, there's plenty of time for tearing your hair out at the later stages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Its a flawed system...by bringing forward the highest scores they also guarantee the cheats a better chance than those who didn't cheat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Its a flawed system...by bringing forward the highest scores they also guarantee the cheats a better chance than those who didn't cheat...

Lol what's your solution bring the lower scores through!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LCFB83

Lads put me out my misery here so I won't have to be thinking about it. But what's the chances of me coming 2992 getting to the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

True but if you did cheat you'd be weeded out and the next batch will be called.

Plus it might not just be cheating the supervised exams are more stressful and more real. As in your next move depends on you providing a succesfull exam. And remembering some of the tests, you could ask me the same question today and I might move the slider to a slightly difference position or I might answer a scenario question a bit difference next time around.

Put it this way, if you where to go get the previous leaving cert group or junior cert group and ask them now to sit the same tests I am sure you might see both gains and falls in marking.

Human nature as it is, people don't want to be wrong so if you can use your phone to Google an answer chances are it will happen. You've to go against the temptation ! Also with cheating you'd find yourself loosing out on time same with getting help, there answers may not be the correct answers so you could again be at a loss.

Anyway not going to worry about this until next year ! I will brush up on the maths as I will need to be like lighting on them questions.

Happy Christmas and New Years folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

So if you haven't heard anything back yet is that the end of it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I'm sitting here ****ting a brick....merry x mas

Beechfiled wrote: »
    So if you haven't heard anything back yet is that the end of it for you?

Early January..

I'm sitting here ****ting a brick....merry x mas

Try not to think about it... You will wreck your head..enjoy the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 LCFB83

Hey guys just say you were successful and got offered the job. How far would you be allowed live from Dublin. Do any of ye know a ff that that works in Dublin and travels long distance to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

LCFB83 wrote: »
    Hey guys just say you were successful and got offered the job. How far would you be allowed live from Dublin. Do any of ye know a ff that that works in Dublin and travels long distance to work.

There's a lad in DFB commuting from limerick so don't worry. If u can handle a long commute then that's ok. They can't force you to live somewhere. Once you're in work that's all they care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

123kid2014 wrote: »
    There's a lad in DFB commuting from limerick so don't worry. If u can handle a long commute then that's ok. They can't force you to live somewhere. Once you're in work that's all they care about.

As a matter of DFB code going back decades you must reside within the 4 burrows of Dublin and written consent is required from the chief fire officer if you wish to reside outside.

Needless to say this isn't exactly enforced these days :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Do you live in O'Brien Institute for the training period? Or would non-Dubs have to get a place to kip for the duration?

stringbox wrote: »
    Do you live in O'Brien Institute for the training period? Or would non-Dubs have to get a place to kip for the duration?

Accommodation is up to yourself to arrange or else commute. You don't live in for the training period. I'd take a guess tho that the limerick lads training in January will be staying in the OBI, paid by LCCC I'm sure

Chungwun wrote: »
    Accommodation is up to yourself to arrange or else commute. You don't live in for the training period.

Sum dose. Any idea what the pay is per week during the training period? Would a house-share nearby be a ludicrous idea?

stringbox wrote: »
    Sum dose. Any idea what the pay is per week during the training period? Would a house-share nearby be a ludicrous idea?

Whatever it states as the basic wage that was in the application pack I'm sure.

Suppose you could house share, if you can arrange with others if they are in a similar situation as yourself. Also depends on the time of year of your training. Summer time and you might get student accommodation

I just checked, here it is:
    Wage:
    The wage scale for the position of Firefighter, Dublin Fire Brigade, is:

€429.60 - €477.34 - €564.40 - €616.90 - €669.65 - €722.04 - €738.76 - €781.86 (Max) per week

€813.62 per week after 12 years

€849.62 per week after 18 years

So that's €430 starting before tax? Should be able to share somewhere reasonably okay for that kind of money. I probably wouldn't go for it if I had a family though...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

You could rent a room Monday to Friday but it's 6 months. That'd be a nightmare to be away from home that long. I live in Dublin so lucky me.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many people will be ringing Public Jobs in the morning 😗

Advertisement