Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

skerry wrote: »
    Balls. I had 3000 souls earlier on and not an Estus flask to my name and kept going like a clown. Lesson learned.

Cheers folks

Don't worry about losing loads of souls. the amount scales where you are in the game and later on even 50k will seem like chump change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭skerry

Success....got to the end of the level and beat Vordt on third attempt. Thanks for the tips folks, enjoying the combat a bit more now. Wasn't utilising the shield nearly enough. Put some points into Vigor and strength too so decent enough HP pool and taking down enemies quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

For your first play through level up vitality first. You won't have any idea what style you like yet, but every style needs points in vitality.

Lads any tips on defeating Black Knights. Tried the one on Road of Sacrifices and I'm getting absolutely hammered. Got him down to about a third health but he hits like a truck. Should I just bypass and come back later when I'm stronger or does he get any easier. Or is there even a reason I need to be bothering with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Evade

Lads any tips on defeating Black Knights. Tried the one on Road of Sacrifices and I'm getting absolutely hammered. Got him down to about a third health but he hits like a truck. Should I just bypass and come back later when I'm stronger or does he get any easier. Or is there even a reason I need to be bothering with him?
    Circle around and stab him in the back.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Circle around and stab him in the back.

Tried that but guess I'm not very good at it yet cos he keeps catching me with that move that launches you into the air and it's game over then.

Might need to work on my parry more though, don't think I'm utilising it enough or at least effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Shield up, and circle them to the right, be as close to them as possible when doing this, they will most likely swing and miss when you do this, thats when you get in behind them and hit them with the ol back stab...

If there are more than one, lead them away one at a time, do not try to fight two at once.

You can use this tact for most humanoid mobs and alot of other mobs also

nix wrote: »
    Shield up, and circle them to the right, be as close to them as possible when doing this, they will most likely swing and miss when you do this, thats when you get in behind them and hit them with the ol back stab...

If there are more than one, lead them away one at a time, do not try to fight two at once.

You can use this tact for most humanoid mobs and alot of other mobs also
    Cool, more practice needed in the circling front tonight so.
    Liking the challenge in the game now, was frustrating the crap out of me at the start but its addictive coming back to try hammer some bo!!ox that's been handing your ar$e to you and hugely satisfying when you finally beat them. Definitely no room for 1 dimensional button mashing.
    In Farron Keep swamp area which is definitely my least favorite area so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Liking the challenge in the game now, was frustrating the crap out of me at the start but its addictive coming back to try hammer some bo!!ox that's been handing your ar$e to you and hugely satisfying when you finally beat them. Definitely no room for 1 dimensional button mashing.
    In Farron Keep swamp area which is definitely my least favorite area so far though.

We are in the same area.

weiland79 wrote: »

We are in the same area.
    Cool, is this your first play through?

Find the area very samey compared to locations I've come across before. Getting lost easily and having trouble with the Dark Knight and Wraith dude too (which kind of seem very similar).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Cool, is this your first play through?

Find the area very samey compared to locations I've come across before. Getting lost easily and having trouble with the Dark Knight and Wraith dude too (which kind of seem very similar).

You are so near (not really a spoiler but just in case)
    one of the best bosses in the game (IMO of course).
    If you want to take a break from Black Knight keep going forward. Alternatively, there may be another route to take.

Finally beat that backstard Black Knight. Took Derfderf's advice from a few posts back and put some points into Vitality.

Realised my gear was wayyyy too heavy so ditched the Claymore for the Lothric Knight Sword (levelled it up a to +3 but don't have materials to level it further) and replaced Lothric Knight Armour for Armour of the Sun to get my weight ratio down under 70%.

Hugely more mobile now and rolls for days. Danced around him and picked him off handy enough :)

Did yet another play through of this. Mainly for the DLC which I'd never properly finished. Played mainly using Great Club, Artorias sword and Black Knight sword. Had only beat Demon Prince with Lapp and Gael last time and never beat Gael.....

Managed to solo Demon Prince (first time when I got to second phase) this time round using Black Knight Sword (extra damage on Demons). No Estus left. Embered. Got caught in Laser beam. Had about 5 HP. Hit him, he hit me. We both died but it counted as a win. Sweet.

Tried Midir a couple of times but couldn't put a dent in HP so went on to Gael. Again no estus left and used Ember. Managed to defeat him. Excellent boss. I'll be back for Midir.

Hadn't bothered with Ashes of Ariandal but just started it now. May be slightly OP for it. Looking forward to Friede. The Ringed City is up there with Old Hunters as my favourite From Software DLC.

Onto Bloodborne next to get revenge on Lawrence who is the only Boss in the game I just couldn't beat solo. Found him a lot harder than Orphan of Kos.

Latest full run completed. Solo, all bosses. Hardest, or most attempts, definitely has to be Darkeater Midir or Friede. First time doing the DLC bosses and loved them. Especially Gael and Demon Prince.

Time to take another break from the Souls formula. I'm sure I'll be back. Picked up Bloodstained, Ritual of the Night so getting stuck into that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Are there any souls esque games to get stuck in to other than Nioh or other souls games as I've played them all :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Salt and Sanctuary is a good dose of Souls methadone

petes wrote: »
    Are there any souls esque games to get stuck in to other than Nioh or other souls games as I've played them all :)

Sekiro?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Salt and Sanctuary is a good dose of Souls methadone

Thanks, will take a look!!

Sekiro?

Played the excellent Sekiro already :)

+ 1 for Salt and Sanctuary, similar enough to the Souls games in many ways but different enough too to make a fresher experience than some other games.

Bloodborne is also highly recommended if you have a playstation but I suspect you've likely played it if thats the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What about Remnant?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ashen worth a look too possibly (not played it but like the look).

The upcoming Blasphemous also looks a bit soulsesque albeit in 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What about Remnant?

It's more gun orientated and not as difficult, which is grand by me. The boss battles are more "Why the foop is this happening?" rather than "Well this is an interesting challenge"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's more gun orientated and not as difficult, which is grand by me. The boss battles are more "Why the foop is this happening?" rather than "Well this is an interesting challenge"

Have you played Sekiro yet? I'm still waiting for the Gimli update!!

Some good suggestions to get my teeth in to, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Apparently The Surge is like a sci fi Dark Souls, haven't played it myself but heard good things, has a sequel coming out soon too.

If you want a dark fantasy style game then Dragons Dogma is very good, doesn't have the difficulty or as robust a combat system but still a very good dark fantasy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd heard the Surge starts off very well but becomes a slog relatively quickly.

Sekiro is a problem for me. I don't want to be fighting a boss for ten minutes, beat it and then find it rise into a more powerful and meaner version of the thing I just killed. It's a mechanic that doesn't work for me.

I've always preferred guns over melee. While I loved Bloodborne couldn't get into the Souls games. Even DS3 I just kind of found sluggish in comparison. My loss.

The Surge got the balance wrong for me, mobs were a chore to get through in places and the bosses too easy, not saying they were cake but not overly taxing.

Forgot about Lords of the Fallen it has some flaws and they didn't deliver the game they talked up but it was decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

DS3 is on sale for €10 on PS store at the moment. I've never played any of this series, is this a good place to start, or DS1/DS2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JimBurnley wrote: »
    DS3 is on sale for €10 on PS store at the moment. I've never played any of this series, is this a good place to start, or DS1/DS2?

They'll have some crossover, same characters/places mentioned but the story is obscure enough that you won't need to have played the first 2. I'd definitely recommend it as i think it's the most accessible DS. A tenner will be well worth it to see if you enjoy the gameplay and if you do love it, you have a fantastic game and 2 others to enjoy then.

Advertisement