Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I picked this up recently, and haven't gotten through the graveyard at the very start. I take it I should persevere, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Zulu wrote: »
    I picked this up recently, and haven't gotten through the graveyard at the very start. I take it I should persevere, right?

Most definitely. The most rewarding game series i've ever played. You will get better as you learn from your mistakes. The sense of accomplishment is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You should

If you're struggling just take it slower, stick the shield up and watch an enemy's attacks, practise rolling to dodge and then try to get the timing between blocking an attack and being able to swing your own one in. Take a swing or two, and back off, letting your stamina regen.

Stamina management and knowing when you can attack is the secret, if you try to go nuts and swing whenever you can, you'll never pass the first boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It's one of those rare games where you die and you just go "Oh, that's why I can do better next time!" Some bosses will make you constantly feel inadequate and then you beat them and it's so cathartic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Evade

Just remember bait, retreat, beat, repeat. Move in to bait an attack, then move back out of their attack range, move in and hit them when they're recovering , then repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It takes a while to get the feel of the game. If you haven't I picked I think Merc? on first go and just couldn't beat him then I switched to knight and it was much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Annnnnnd, im done. Just going to wait for a price drop on the DLC now. Really enjoyed it but not as much as 1 and 2. Think i got the worst ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Annnnnnd, im done. Just going to wait for a price drop on the DLC now. Really enjoyed it but not as much as 1 and 2. Think i got the worst ending.

See if you can grab the season pass on the cheap gives you both DLC. I got mine for 15 quid on the last Xbox Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lads... This is an early unlock on Humble Bundle this month. 12 bucks... Plus you'll get a load more games at the end of the month.
    Perfect time to jump in or introduce a friend to this masterpiece.
    I own it on PS4 and Pc but I'll still be buyin it just to gift to someone on Steam who has it on their wishlist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm doing another play through. Parried Champion Gundyr to death which is probably my proudest moment so far.

I summoned for Nameless King last time so not going to do so this time. For people who solo'd him, can you give any tips for the first phase with the dragon?I've been able to do it but usually have tiny amount of estus left which obviously makes the king more difficult. The most estus I've started king with is 7 but it's usually one or two. I've seen people say they can get through the dragon easily in a couple of minutes with most or all of their estus left. The camera and hit boxes are brutal I find. Once the King did a swing which went right over my head but the game registered it as a hit and took off 3 quarters of my health. Frustrating.

• Advertisement

I'm doing another play through. Parried Champion Gundyr to death which is probably my proudest moment so far.

I summoned for Nameless King last time so not going to do so this time. For people who solo'd him, can you give any tips for the first phase with the dragon?I've been able to do it but usually have tiny amount of estus left which obviously makes the king more difficult. The most estus I've started king with is 7 but it's usually one or two. I've seen people say they can get through the dragon easily in a couple of minutes with most or all of their estus left. The camera and hit boxes are brutal I find. Once the King did a swing which went right over my head but the game registered it as a hit and took off 3 quarters of my health. Frustrating.

If I remember rightly you just dodge roll 1 or 2 attacks...then he telegraphs it when he is going to breath fire and you hit him once or twice. RUN when he rises up as he blasts fire just below. Make sure to get the crit hits in when you see his head flop.
    It's all about learning the kings patters...they're pretty obvious though. It's usually 2-3 attacks.
    A good shield might help for that section.

When it's down smack it's head, 2-3 smacks will leave it vulnerable for a visceral attack (like a parry stab) that deals huge damage when done on the head.

Thanks lads. I've been getting viscerals off no bother. The one where he rises and breaths fire was one shotting me until I figured out to not be below him and since then he hasn't actually done it. Sometimes I can dodge the lightning attack by rolling forwards. More often than not in fact. What I can't seem to avoid is his downward slam. No matter when I roll it hits me. Actually that's a lie as last few times I managed to dodge it. But when I get hit the king usually slams down his lightning thing soon after, just as I'm standing up so the I frames are over but I just don't have the time to dodge and it's another you died screen.

I will definitely do this. O&S in DS1 were very intimidating at first, impossible I thought, but I've successfully solo'd them on my last couple of playthroughs of that so I believe I can handle anything a souls game throws at me. Practice makes perfect and all that. Thanks. When I manage it I'm sure I'll post about it haha.

Oh and just add I've been 2 handing my weapon with the stamina regeneration shield on my back. I didn't think a shield would help in this fight but maybe I should try blocking with it and two handing just to hit King of the Storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't lock onto the dragon is the only advice i can give

I'm gonna try using a bow for phase one. I've heard it makes phase one easy. Not too bothered if that's considered cheesing it as it's the king himself I want to fight. Having to take the dragon out each time is a pain. I might just go through Lothric Castle and level up some more. About level 60 atm, should probably be around 80 or thereabouts. I was trying both locking on and off then mixing it up by only locking on to the dragon when it was on the ground. Either way the camera is a nightmare to deal with.

I agree with solitude. No lock on for the first phase. I think I used the Black Knight shield...has a high stability and good res against fire.

Can get through the drake now with either no estus or max two consumed. Honestly the camera is the hardest part in it. Been switching between locking on and off, on when it's flying off any other time.

The King himself hits so hard un the second stage. Two hits and your gone. Which basically means if you mess up dodging and get in a combo you're dead. I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried it. Think I'll stop for a while as getting frustrated which leads to mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can get through the drake now with either no estus or max two consumed. Honestly the camera is the hardest part in it. Been switching between locking on and off, on when it's flying off any other time.

The King himself hits so hard un the second stage. Two hits and your gone. Which basically means if you mess up dodging and get in a combo you're dead. I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried it. Think I'll stop for a while as getting frustrated which leads to mistakes.

Very proud when I soloed him.

Think I ultimately used that rapier with frost on it (+5).

I also kept a high lightning defence shield on standby as I found those lightning storms in phase two to be v difficult to dodge.

I'd almost watch the fight on YouTube for a few mins to remind you of his combos. But poster above is correct, it's all about realising if he is doing the 2 or the 3 hit combo.

noodler wrote: »
    Very proud when I soloed him.

Think I ultimately used that rapier with frost on it (+5).

I also kept a high lightning defence shield on standby as I found those lightning storms in phase two to be v difficult to dodge.

I'd almost watch the fight on YouTube for a few mins to remind you of his combos. But poster above is correct, it's all about realising if he is doing the 2 or the 3 hit combo.

I have the irithyll straight sword +5. You get the rapier from one of the later boreal outrider knights don't you? The are vicious. Definitely struggle with them more than any other enemy of the knight variety. I got NK to half health on last attempt. Very slowly making progress.

I have the irithyll straight sword +5. You get the rapier from one of the later boreal outrider knights don't you? The are vicious. Definitely struggle with them more than any other enemy of the knight variety. I got NK to half health on last attempt. Very slowly making progress.

Grab a nice lightning def shield for 2nd phase maybe with some nice armor.

• Advertisement

DS3 new world record.
    All bosses incl DLC....96mins.....WTF
    Dude finishes the game...at LVL 1 :o

I'm still struggling with Nameless King, 3 days now. Mostly I get through the dragon with full estus. Occasionally I'll have to drink one. Can get the King to his second phase 50/50. Anyway I've just watched Faraaz Khan, I think he's called, on YouTube taking him down in just over 3 minutes at SL1 with a +0 sword and no damage taken. He's some player. I wanted tips but now just feel inadequate lol as I'm level 76 with maxed out sword.

I'm still struggling with Nameless King, 3 days now. Mostly I get through the dragon with full estus. Occasionally I'll have to drink one. Can get the King to his second phase 50/50. Anyway I've just watched Faraaz Khan, I think he's called, on YouTube taking him down in just over 3 minutes at SL1 with a +0 sword and no damage taken. He's some player. I wanted tips but now just feel inadequate lol as I'm level 76 with maxed out sword.

He's renowned for being one of the toughest bosses in the series.
    We have faith in you !!:cool:
    It'll be a great feeling when you finally beat him.

I remember my first encouter, it was on NG+1....I missed that whole place on my first run. He smashed me for ages. I eventually beat him while half trying....no sound on....instead I was listening to a podcast for some reason (I know sound helps...but I think I just zoned out and played better....kind of like in a racing game where you are just doing it by instinct).
    I was adamant I wanted to do it without summoning someone.
    One of the many following playthroughs I summoned someone and they shot him to death so quickly

Yeah, there is absolutely no point blocking him as he just drains stamina rapidly. I took him on at SL1 for that playthrough and got wrecked by him every time so just went back to the non-optional areas to finish the game. Finished it, levelled up and wrecked him back haha.

Just gotta time the rolls really. Seeing as I go in there knowing I can't get hit I do it naked and two hand whatever weapon I have. Gives more room for error on the rolls.

For the nameless king learn to roll, a lot. And learn when the dragon is gonna jump up and use his fire breath.

Also, if you have any lightning res armour. Use it.

Guy is a massive pain but the feeling of satisfaction beating him is beyond words.

My biggest problem is getting greedy when there is an opening. If I didn't go for that one extra hit every time he'd be long dead as that's when he kills me. I say I won't this time but then I do. Very bad habit that gets seriously punished by him.

My biggest problem is getting greedy when there is an opening. If I didn't go for that one extra hit every time he'd be long dead as that's when he kills me. I say I won't this time but then I do. Very bad habit that gets seriously punished by him.

I get that, especially after the 50th try and you want to get him to Phase 2 as quick as you can and you get slapped with his spear.

Woo hoo I fcuking did it. After probably 100 or even more attempts the King with no name is dead by my solo hand with 6 estus left. Should have stayed close to him all this time instead of putting distance between us. It wasn't even a chore taking all those attempts as it's a great fight but what a rush. So chuffed with meself right now.

Woo hoo I fcuking did it. After probably 100 or even more attempts the King with no name is dead by my solo hand with 6 estus left. Should have stayed close to him all this time instead of putting distance between us. It wasn't even a chore taking all those attempts as it's a great fight but what a rush. So chuffed with meself right now.

Congrats !!!

Your Dark Souls mates hare here to celebrate with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Well done Doctor Nick!

That boss defeat elation is one of the best gaming experiences.

Great celebration video Sean:D

Advertisement