Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Did a play through of DS3. Picked a pyro/hex hybrid just to have some variety from my old knight and shield. I think I preferred DS2 magic. Didn't seem overly worth it using pyro and investing in so many stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Daith wrote: »
    Did a play through of DS3. Picked a pyro/hex hybrid just to have some variety from my old knight and shield. I think I preferred DS2 magic. Didn't seem overly worth it using pyro and investing in so many stats.

DS2 magic was ridiculously OP, probably why you liked it so much :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Daith wrote: »

I've tried a few times in each game to go pyro....never could get into it.
    Always reverted back to sword and shield or dual swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Vicxas wrote: »
    DS2 magic was ridiculously OP, probably why you liked it so much :P :)

I think I didn't like the focus points in DS3 but you're right, DS2 magic was insane at times.

I did like my Str/Faith Paladin run through. That was fun.

DS3 seems still overly linear to me compared to DS1 but it's growing on me.

Easy Allies released the 4th ep in their Souls Retrospective

• Advertisement

Part 5 of the retro just got released too
    Dark Souls 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Part 5 of the retro just got released too
    Dark Souls 3

Ha! I didnt have much enthusiasm to work today, this just made it much harder to wanna work.

Ashes is OK, quite short and is a new area. New area with 2 boss fights, one underwhelming and one amazing IMO . Worth a punt of you can get it cheap. Ringed City, IMO, is amazing.

just did Ashes this week. Had it sitting there for ages but never got around to it, when into it on NG+ with my Dark Knight cosplay.

I'd agree with your comments above.
    Was surprised at how short it was.
    The game seemed quite hard at the start...all those guys rushing you together, or the poxy wolves...but it kind of fizzles out into nothing baddies by the end.
    And as for the 2 bosses..yeah...1 was very good...1 was meh.

The Ringed City was definitely much better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

I love all the Dark souls games and Blood borne, I missed the boat on Demon souls but would love a remaster. Its tough to know which is the best, I used to dislike ds2 but I perservered and really like it now. Its probably the longest of all 4 games and its also the most difficult to complete if you go in with no guide, I find DS3 and BB very easy to tank through. I'm really looking forward to the DS1 remaster and that game is probably the best for his originality and interconnecting world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

DS1 remaster?

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    DS1 remaster?

You haven't heard ? lol

Coming out in May to PS4 ,Switch, Xbox One and PC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Late to the party with this one. Played 1 and 2 and played the beejaysus out of Bloodborne. Picked up the special edition during the week.

It feels like putting on a pair of comfy slippers or an old hat. Love getting back into the combat which is always gripping edge of the seat stuff. Just got to the first boss last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up DS3 a while back and got disheartened after getting my ass handed to me by Iudex. Managed to beat him over the weekend and determined to give this a go now as I've never played a Souls game and every second review of a game these days seems to mentions 'Souls-like'.

Are there any good early game tips anyone would like to enlighten me with? I'm on the level after Firelink Shrine, Hollowed something or other. Got as far as The Winged Knight and he's absolutely hammering me.

I've picked up the Claymore and leveled that once which is helping but still no where near defeating him. Do I just need to grind some knights etc. and level as much as I can or is there something else I need to be doing. At the moment I'm not even lasting long enough to figure out his attack patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

Not everything has to be killed sometimes it's best to just run past them. Armoured enemies a re weak to bludgeoning weapons.

Evade wrote: »
    Not everything has to be killed sometimes it's best to just run past them. Armoured enemies a re weak to bludgeoning weapons.
    I was only thinking this morning that I haven't actually ran anywhere past him to see whats behind him. He kind of circles the area so might chance legging past him for now.
    There's a standard looking enemy a bit before him that morphs into some big black weird thingy that kicked my ass a few times so I've just opted to run past him and that worked fine.
    Frustrated the crap out of me last night but I'm weirdly looking forward to trying it again later. At the rate I'm going should have the game finished in a couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Run by him and come back and kick his ass later!!

petes wrote: »
    Run by him and come back and kick his ass later!!
    Cool, operation run by him like a big girl will commence this evening. Fingers crossed I make it to next save point.

Anyone any ideas if Claymore is best wielded 2 handed? Have shield equipped at the moment but seems like a weapon you'd want to swing with both hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's your first game it's best to have a shield for defense.

Also I'd check your equipment load. Having too much equipment/armour is detrimental. The claymore is quite heavy and if you have heavy armour on it makes your roll much slower. If you only have about 25-50% of your weight allowance your roll is much faster and you get more invincibility frames. In DS less is often more.

What class are you?

If you picked Knight you won't need anything but the long sword for a long while yet. Level that up and the shield you start with is pretty good too.

Im putting souls into Strength Vigor Endurance and a little bit into Dexterity so i can use a long bow.

In short I'm going to tank my way through it.

What platform are you on?

weiland79 wrote: »
    What class are you?

If you picked Knight you won't need anything but the long sword for a long while yet. Level that up and the shield you start with is pretty good too.

Im putting souls into Strength Vigor Endurance and a little bit into Dexterity so i can use a long bow.

In short I'm going to tank my way through it.

What platform are you on?
    I picked Knight class and running Claymore and a shield with armor I picked up from a Lothric Knight which seems a heavy load out.
    Playing on Xbox

@ Retr0gamer - given your point above I'm thinking my loadout is probably too heavy and I've definitely noticed rolls getting more sluggish since I equipped the Lothric Knight armor. Must look at that later.

Definitely a steep learning curve and they couldn't make the menus more confusing if they tried but I'm probably just not used to DS games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

Keeping weight below 49.9% is ideal. You might be tempted to not wear something in one of the slots to achieve that but you get a bonus for having something in each slot so buy some light gloves and a hood or mask.

I'd head back to fire link and kill the guy for his Kitana before heading further.

I'd head back to fire link and kill the guy for his Kitana before heading further.
    Read about that dude alright but wasn't sure if I'd be under leveled for him. Will chance him later if I can.

Thanks. I came across that build guide last night alright so will use that as a guide.

Last question for a bit, If you've got a decent amount of souls collected and have close to zero chance of getting to the next save point without dying are you better off to backtrack and go to Firelink and level up and then tackle it again?

skerry wrote: »
    Thanks. I came across that build guide last night alright so will use that as a guide.

Last question for a bit, If you've got a decent amount of souls collected and have close to zero chance of getting to the next save point without dying are you better off to backtrack and go to Firelink and level up and then tackle it again?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Also to add, you dont have to fight/kill everything, theres alot of mobs in the game that id just run passed as they are a pain in the arse to take on, like that winged knight you were tackling earlier, more often than not, i just loot all the stuff around him while he chases me and run off and he just resets..

Yes

Balls. I had 3000 souls earlier on and not an Estus flask to my name and kept going like a clown. Lesson learned.

Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,922 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Picked up DS3 a while back and got disheartened after getting my ass handed to me by Iudex. Managed to beat him over the weekend and determined to give this a go now as I've never played a Souls game and every second review of a game these days seems to mentions 'Souls-like'.

Are there any good early game tips anyone would like to enlighten me with? I'm on the level after Firelink Shrine, Hollowed something or other. Got as far as The Winged Knight and he's absolutely hammering me.

I've picked up the Claymore and leveled that once which is helping but still no where near defeating him. Do I just need to grind some knights etc. and level as much as I can or is there something else I need to be doing. At the moment I'm not even lasting long enough to figure out his attack patterns.

If you go back to Firelink and out the main door as if your going back towards the first boss turn right and go up a short hill.

There's a guy up there that will drop a katana that's pretty strong.

Edit: beaten to it already.

• Advertisement

Balls. I had 3000 souls earlier on and not an Estus flask to my name and kept going like a clown. Lesson learned.

Cheers folks

You'll be scoffing at the idea of a measly 3000 souls soon enough :D

Advertisement