Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

JimBurnley wrote: »
    DS3 is on sale for €10 on PS store at the moment. I've never played any of this series, is this a good place to start, or DS1/DS2?

DS3 is the second best one, DS1 is the greatest and DS2 is the red headed stepchild of the group.

Also, if you havent played Bloodbourne, get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vicxas wrote: »
    DS3 is the second best one, DS1 is the greatest and DS2 is the red headed stepchild of the group.

Also, if you havent played Bloodbourne, get it.

This.

I couldn't stress enough that you should start with eh first one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

At this point in time, I'd recommend starting with DS3, for me its the best of the trilogy. I dont have as much love for DS1 as most do, could be due to the fact that i didnt play it at the time it was released.

I actually think i played through DS2 first, then DS3 and much later, DS1 with the remaster. I tried DS1 multiple times prior on pc, but kept running into annoying technical bugs that halted progress, so put it off and got back into it with the remaster.

In terms of fluidness and fun, DS3 is supreme, i felt DS1 was more all over the place, now dont get me wrong, it is great. It's just more complicated on where to go in some parts and you can miss alot, same with DS3 but its less harsh in that regard.

Id go with DS2 if you have developed a hunger to keep playing those types of games, the graphics might put you off at first but give it time and it wont be noticeable at all. And it is a great game despite what others may say..

But eh, Bloodborne beats them all :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Only 15 quid for the deluxe edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I love all three. Would definitely recommend playing in order (and play Demons Souls if you can). Going from three to one can be difficult to adjust to due to the faster gameplay with the former.

I dont understand when people say three is more accessible than the rest. Is this due to linearity or increased checkpoints? In terms of Bosses, three has much more challenging Bosses. Especially so if the DLC is included.

If base game plus DLC is 15 quid that's the one you should be getting. The Ringed City is an amazing expansion with probably the best Bosses in the series (IMO).

• Advertisement

I dont understand when people say three is more accessible than the rest. Is this due to linearity or increased checkpoints? In terms of Bosses, three has much more challenging Bosses. Especially so if the DLC is included.

Less annoying BS deaths or things to knock you off a ledge to your death to make you mad, DS1 is littered with them :D

Plus it just looks so much better, easier to put up with a hard pretty game than a hard uglier game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

DS1 is a beautiful game.

Especially in the remaster.

nix wrote: »
    Less annoying BS deaths or things to knock you off a ledge to your death to make you mad, DS1 is littered with them :D

Plus it just looks so much better, easier to put up with a hard pretty game than a hard uglier game :pac:

Archers in Anor Londo :mad:

Archers in Anor Londo :mad:

Heh, Sen's fortress had in rage mode in no time :D:pac::mad::(

Sekiro is the best of the lot :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Bloodborne is the best one. Only thing holding it back is its bad optimization

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bloodbourne is my favorite, I loved everything about it but the poor frame pacing and 30 fps means it doesn't play as smoothly as Sekiro (I played on PC).

I hope Bloodbourne 2 is multiplatform or at the very least it's a smoother experience on the PS5 whenever it does launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Bloodbourne is my favorite, I loved everything about it but the poor frame pacing and 30 fps means it doesn't play as smoothly as Sekiro (I played on PC).

I hope Bloodbourne 2 is multiplatform or at the very least it's a smoother experience on the PS5 whenever it does launch.

It's the only thing stopping me from replaying it to this day. I went back to play it a few years after release and i genuinely thought there was a problem with my PlayStation. Don't know how i bared it when it first launched, maybe cause i didn't have a gaming PC at the time and it felt normal

Biggest thing holding it back is that its stuck on console

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Re-playing this, and am struck more this time by how good the Abyss Watchers fight is.

Great gimmick, well balanced, lots of variation. Really enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

beans wrote: »
    Re-playing this, and am struck more this time by how good the Abyss Watchers fight is.

I love the fight and the accompanying soundtrack adds so much to it. One of my favourite boss themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Complete latecomer and Dark Souls 'noob' here, and probably repeating stuff said numerous times.

Bought this last week when it was €22 in Argos with no idea of it beyond the 'difficult' tag thinking I'd blow through it in a week before going back to work....been stuck at the bonfire on the Tower of the Wall of Lothric for the past two days :D with my 7 year old repeatedly telling me to 'Git Gud' when I die (had to google what that was about).

Admittedly I am only getting an hour here and there between baby feeds and the other kids looking to play the Xbox, and have had one restart already when I felt I was getting a better grasp of the game but am really enjoying it. Normally the constant restarts would have me restraining myself from flinging the controller but here it's only every now and again when you lose health stupidly. The rewarding feeling for actually progressing past a section you've been stuck on is great. Have currently made it past the 'chunky' knight in the court yard but not a bonfire in sight.

Finally reached my fill of this 3 and 3/4 years later. I’ve been playing it on and off between the last post and now (just checked my achievements and there’s an 8 month break between beating deacons and the abyss watchers and then two and a half years between Wolnir and Pontiff) but have been playing it pretty solidly that last two months.

Just not getting all the love for it. It’s enjoyable to a certain extent, and the aesthetic of the world is great (I love the fact that the background are actual locations you end up and not just random scenery) but once you ‘get’ the mechanics your most difficult enemy is sh!t camera angles. For the most part you can play through them and get on with it but the first phase of the nameless king is game breaking bad and the kind of thing a game without the Dark Souls name attached would be slated for.

I still have the final boss and DLC there so might come back to it in a few years but as of now with no real storyline to keep my interest I’m done with it.

My then 7 now 11 year old picked it up two months ago when I started and is now on ng +3 so he obviously holds a different opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Your 11 year old must get their git gud from the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

surely you have to beat the final boss otherwise your kid has spent the last 3.75 years watching his dad losing at a videogame?
    I had several aborted attempts to get into it but never could. I still think it could click with me but I'm too old to put in the effort, matybe when things quieten down and I lose interest in Warzone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

beans wrote: »

Can I bump this thread? I just beat him (them?) yesterday after 6 or 7 attempts, it's very cinematic alright, and not too hard once you learn how he moves and how to spot the real one, second phase is more of a challenge. I got his sword which allows you to do some of his combos. This game is good, almost as good as Witcher series, I'm in the Cattacombs of Carthus now and it's getting a little tougher but still manageable, the game always rewards patience.

I've gotten a bit lost now. So far the bosses I've killed are Iundex Gundyr, Vordt, Big rotting tree yoke, Abyss Watchers, Crystal Sage and Wolnir just bit the dust yesterday. Now I'm wandering around smouldering lake and wondering if that's the correct area to go to next or should I be going somewhere else? I went to Irithyll of the Boreal valley but I can't get through the force field on the far side of the bridge because I need a doll or something? I've been to the Cathederal of the Deep also but there's just locked doors there and I can't find a way through. Walkthroughs on youtube aren't helping much because everyone seems to take a different route through this game fighting the bosses in different orders. Any tips on navigation would be welcomed. Up until now the way forward was always fairly clear.

You missed the boss in Cathedral of the Deep I think. Thats where the doll is if I recall.

There's 2 locked doors near the bonfire in the Cathedral of the Deep and then a graveyard outside full of undead that rise up out of the ground, I went in there once and it was a pain but maybe that's where I need to go.

From memory the locked doors are in a small church of sorts? Yeah you need to progress through the graveyard there. I think they are shortcuts you open up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Head around the graveyard and make a right so going across a bridge and you'll get to some steps with a fast enemy, before goi up the steps turn around and knock down a ladder for a shortcut if you need it.

Playing through again myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

petes wrote: »
    Head around the graveyard and make a right so going across a bridge and you'll get to some steps with a fast enemy, before goi up the steps turn around and knock down a ladder for a shortcut if you need it.

Playing through again myself :)

This is correct. After the graveyard you see 1 or 2 big sluggy skeleton dudes, you pass them and there is the weird witch looking fella with 2 long knives.
    Instict will tell you to go to the big church on the left (that is the correct way) , but the ladder shortcut mentioned above is in a tiny little shed/chapel down a set of steps to the right.

When you do finally go to the church after the graveyard just have a shield up, you'll have a lot of those stupid midget guys in hats ambushing you.
    Eventually you'll come to a big door all the way around the back. It's after you kill 2 of the witch knifey guys in a row. You'll know because you'll see a load of lads praying just after the door.

You can just run past most of the **** in there to find a bonfire at the bottom of the stairs inside the church.

You get the Doll for killing the Church bosses I believe, which will let you go to Irithyl Valley and continue the game proper.

Yeah I got through all that and killed Pontiff Sulyvahn as well. I have to say it's a bit disheartening when you've been stuck for ages and eventually give in, read a walkthrough or watch a youtube video and they all tell you you just have to keep trying to run past all the enemies to get to the next bonfire because that's the only way to do it. Why design a game like that?

I think I'm getting a bit bored of this game now. The boss fights are too easy (killed Pontiff on the second attempt), the combat in general is too repetitive and the camera angles and rolling mechanic don't really work properly and are both pretty annoying. There are glitches in the map design, I've gotten stuck a few times and had to use a homeward bone. If there was an engaging story or interesting characters to sustain the repetitive combat and linear progression it might be a bit more interesting but they don't seem to have bothered with that at all so I don't really feel the urge to continue any further. Maybe in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah I got through all that and killed Pontiff Sulyvahn as well. I have to say it's a bit disheartening when you've been stuck for ages and eventually give in, read a walkthrough or watch a youtube video and they all tell you you just have to keep trying to run past all the enemies to get to the next bonfire because that's the only way to do it. Why design a game like that?

I think I'm getting a bit bored of this game now. The boss fights are too easy (killed Pontiff on the second attempt), the combat in general is too repetitive and the camera angles and rolling mechanic don't really work properly and are both pretty annoying. There are glitches in the map design, I've gotten stuck a few times and had to use a homeward bone. If there was an engaging story or interesting characters to sustain the repetitive combat and linear progression it might be a bit more interesting but they don't seem to have bothered with that at all so I don't really feel the urge to continue any further. Maybe in a week or two.

Stick with it. There is a HUGE amount of story in the game, but it's up to you to find it. It's in the item names and descriptions etc.
    There is a guy who is very famous for doing great videos on the lore. Vattividya I think he's called. Give 1 or 2 a watch.

There are still some awesome bosses to come, and the DLC has some amazing ones too.

The are some really cool bosses coming up.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »

This is pretty much how I feel about all the Souls games. I'm bewildered with how revered these games are.

Advertisement