Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

n1ck wrote: »
    Quality of the camera is really good, I've attached two pictures the girlfriend took while messing with it. It really shows the vibrancy that it captures, there is a bit of shake in the picture of her shoes but you get the idea!

Shipping time was 3 days once processed but it took about two weeks to process because they hadn't got it in stock when I ordered which is not their fault.

I got hit with €30.92 customs so it came to €253~ for the phone.

nice, camera quality looks solid, just doing some googling the P8000 is being released in the coming weeks, will hang on and see what thats like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Those are very sharp pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Didn't live up to expectations.

:D:D

Being serious, the camera does look sharp, seems like a great deal for the phone

Hard luck :pac:

I really like it, I wouldn't be mad for the camera as I don't actually use it that much but the quality is good as you can see.

Specs specify that it's a Sony camera so I was expecting it to be pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

n1ck wrote: »
    Hard luck :pac:

I really like it, I wouldn't be mad for the camera as I don't actually use it that much but the quality is good as you can see.

Specs specify that it's a Sony camera so I was expecting it to be pretty good!

It does look quite good. Unfortunately the norm has been for manufacturers to state "Sony" camera when its not often been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I was just on the elephone.hk site and there is some confusing coupon system in place for pre-orders of the P8000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

@n1ck how's the GPS on the p7000?

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

dedaw wrote: »
    @n1ck how's the GPS on the p7000?

Best of luck with it!

I haven't used it much at all, i've used it once and it was good, it uses Google Maps and the location was accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

nedd wrote: »
    I was just on the elephone.hk site and there is some confusing coupon system in place for pre-orders of the P8000.

Can't remember where I read it, but P8000 has no OTG or gorilla glass among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Guys, would really appreciate if someone could recommend me a phone or a couple to choose from with the following vague specs:
    Good screen
    32 gb storage (internal storage isn't important if it has a micro sd slot)
    4g
    A really good camera
    2 day battery life if possible on moderate use (not a dealbreaker though.
    A screen around 5 inches
    And my budget is probably around 200 euro.

I know it's vague but I really have no idea what value for money can be gotten on the Chinese phones. Any help is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Just a quick update/review

Received the K3 Note on Tuesday evening and had a quick play Tuesday night and fiddled around with it all day yesterday (in between sporadic bouts of work!)
    Have to say, its a nice phone. Not as big in the hand as I thought it would be. I am coming from the Landvo L200 and the Lenovo doesn't feel much bigger and actually feels a bit lighter than the Landvo. Screen is really clear as would be expected with a 1080P screen. Camera seems to be pretty good. Build quality is good.
    Main issue with the phone was that the software was a bit buggy as well as having chinese text in some places such as when receiving a call the callers name would appear along with some chinese writing underneath. To sort this out I rooted the phone and flashed AOSP build that was linked in the XDA thread. Have flashed and rooted a few phones before so I have to say that this was fairly straight forward and the phone has been flying since I changed the ROM (Rooting also allowed me to remove all of the bloatware that was on the phone)
    All in all its a good phone for the money (€163 delivered through Aliexpress, thanks spix :)) I haven't been blown away by it (The specs suggest that it should be a massive jump up from the Landvo, 5.5"/1080P screen/64 bit processor/2 GB RAM etc) but if it lasts me for a while then I cant complain because the phone feels fast and solid and for €160 ish I cant complain.

P.S.
    I can do instructions or links to rooting and ROM if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Raoul wrote: »
    Guys, would really appreciate if someone could recommend me a phone or a couple to choose from with the following vague specs:
    Good screen
    32 gb storage (internal storage isn't important if it has a micro sd slot)
    4g
    A really good camera
    2 day battery life if possible on moderate use (not a dealbreaker though.
    A screen around 5 inches
    And my budget is probably around 200 euro.

I know it's vague but I really have no idea what value for money can be gotten on the Chinese phones. Any help is appreciated!

Not as much choice at 5", C.A.P.s are mostly 5.5"ers lately. If you can go a bit higher, the ZTE Nubia Z9 Mini ticks all the boxes. The camera has been getting high praise around the web.

The 64gb Xiaomi Mi3 might be worth a look, if you can do without 4g. The Mi4i only comes in 16gb with no SD slot, and seems to be having overheating problems, I think they might have overclocked the cpu.

On the budget end of the spectrum, the Umi Hammer looks like great value for money - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/umi-hammer-review-cheap-but-incredibly-tough-budget-4g-phone-3612472/. Tatranska, a poster on here, picked up one for his missus, so we'll see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cheers for the suggestion! On holidays at the moment and it is hard to do proper research into it. Do you know if the nubia has gorilla glass and is it possible to get a cover for it? Also where can you buy it?

It's annoying that the Asian market prefers phablets. My hands are too small to manage a 5.5 incher singlehandedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fairly sure the Nubia has Gorilla Glass. There's a heap of stores in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Raoul wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestion! On holidays at the moment and it is hard to do proper research into it. Do you know if the nubia has gorilla glass and is it possible to get a cover for it? Also where can you buy it?

It's annoying that the Asian market prefers phablets. My hands are too small to manage a 5.5 incher singlehandedly.

Hehe :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hehe :pac::D

We've all got our heads in the gutter the last few days :pac:

We've all got our heads in the gutter the last few days :pac:

The bigger the phones have gotten the bigger kids we've become :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

HI lads,

I'm searching for a replacement for my Xiaomi Redmi 1s with a budget of about €150.

Something with...

- 4.7 - 5.0 inch screen.
    - 720p or full HD display (Redmi 1s pixel density is 321ppi so something like that or better would be good).
    - Would like to it have a community behind it that develops stuff (I had Cyanogemod 12 with Android 5.1 on the Redmi 1s and that phone performed far better than its spec would suggest).

I'm leaning toward the Redmi 2 (I think there's a Cyanogenmod build on the way for it in the future) but anyone else have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Black

I meant is it hl6-02

Just want check what bands the phone can do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ah sorry, its the H60 L04, whatever one Amazon in France are selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Logic deficit

Hi, been following this thread for awhile now since I became aware of the excellent value in Chinese phones. Just had a couple of questions:
    Which phone would you guys consider a significant upgrade on a HTC one m7?

Also, coming from a 32gb phone I've noticed that a lot of Chinese phones are 16gb with sd card slots...it's space for apps not an issue with 16gb phones or can more or less everything be installed to the sd card?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got the Umi hammer for my wife.

First impressions.

A really nice phone.
    Well built with metal banding and bezel around the rear camera which is raised.

Comes with lollipop and Google play.
    No crap on it which was good.
    Camera is very responsive and ui is quick.

Got from coolicool Europe for 143 euro in 3 days by DHL.

More later....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I got the Umi hammer for my wife.

First impressions.

A really nice phone.
    Well built with metal banding and bezel around the rear camera which is raised.

Comes with lollipop and Google play.
    No crap on it which was good.
    Camera is very responsive and ui is quick.

Got from coolicool Europe for 143 euro in 3 days by DHL.

More later....

Good luck with it.
    What are the battery and gps like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

As a big fan of odd phones, I'll be keeping an eye on this chap here:
    http://goo.gl/c9M6xI

Was always tempted by the Yota phone design but its so mind blowingly expensive. This one seems to be listing on pre order for around 229 in a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

fixxxer wrote: »
    As a big fan of odd phones, I'll be keeping an eye on this chap here:
    http://goo.gl/c9M6xI

Was always tempted by the Yota phone design but its so mind blowingly expensive. This one seems to be listing on pre order for around 229 in a few places.

That price seems to be 'under discussion' as most places have it around the 500usd mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

eamonnq wrote: »
    That price seems to be 'under discussion' as most places have it around the 500usd mark.

That would be a shame if it turns out to be true. Phones are so samey these days, its nice when something truly different shows up.

Hi, been following this thread for awhile now since I became aware of the excellent value in Chinese phones. Just had a couple of questions:
    Which phone would you guys consider a significant upgrade on a HTC one m7?

Also, coming from a 32gb phone I've noticed that a lot of Chinese phones are 16gb with sd card slots...it's space for apps not an issue with 16gb phones or can more or less everything be installed to the sd card?

Thanks in advance

Oneplus one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Logic deficit

Oneplus one

Yes my wife has aa one plus one, great phone, would like something aa bit different though. Was kinda thinking along the lines of an Oppo find 7, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Fabio wrote: »
    I'm searching for a replacement for my Xiaomi Redmi 1s with a budget of about €150.

- Would like to it have a community behind it that develops stuff (I had Cyanogemod 12 with Android 5.1 on the Redmi 1s and that phone performed far better than its spec would suggest).
    Do you have a link to the ROM you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ordered another Jiayu s3 for the gf on Tuesday night- delivered about 20 minutes ago. 2nd one ordered from Etotalk and within 3-4 day DHL delivery for both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dedaw wrote: »
    Good luck with it.
    What are the battery and gps like?

She had about 12 hours moderate use with 27% left.
    GPS seems to be OK.
    Did I say how impressed I am with the build quality??;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement