Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

She had about 12 hours moderate use with 27% left.
    GPS seems to be OK.
    Did I say how impressed I am with the build quality??;)

Does it run stock lollipop out of the box? Is it a nexus like kind of android? Considering getting this to replace my Samsung that I broke the screen off. Might be a better purchase considering how much they are to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

henke wrote: »
    Does it run stock lollipop out of the box? Is it a nexus like kind of android? Considering getting this to replace my Samsung that I broke the screen off. Might be a better purchase considering how much they are to fix.

Apologies. Its actually 4.4.4 not lollipop.

But 5.1 is available according to gizchina.
    Never had a nexus so can't comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just got my Umi Zero!

What launcher are ye all using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just got my Umi Zero!

Nova Launcher never lets me down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Páid wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the ROM you used?

Here you are, http://gadgetunlocker.com/install-cm-12-1-android-5-1-lollipop-rom-on-xiaomi-redmi-1s/

It's on XDA Developers as well or on the Cyanogenmod WIki under "unofficial ports". You won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Just got my Umi Zero!

How are you getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Ah sorry, its the H60 L04, whatever one Amazon in France are selling it.

So that's single SIM?

I need Dual Sim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Fabio wrote: »
    How are you getting on with it?

Seems okay so far with just some light browsing and setting it up!

Not tried out the GPS yet, that would be my main worry!

Meizu are selling a new phone through Expansys for €204.
    Available in july
    http://www.expansys.ie/meizu-m2-note-grey-279468/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Newbie seeking advice. I am looking for an aul smartphone with a good battery and a decent screen. Any recommendations on which phone? and most importantly from where to buy it from?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

GeneralC wrote: »
    Newbie seeking advice. I am looking for an aul smartphone with a good battery and a decent screen. Any recommendations on which phone? and most importantly from where to buy it from?

Thanks!

For my wife an umi hammer from coolicool.com EU warehouse for 143 e.
    5" screen. Reasonable battery. Comes with 4.4 but there is a lollipop update.
    Very impressed with build quality.
    Got it in 3 days with dhl. No customs charges.

Sooo much choice I don't know where to begin! I basically want to upgrade from S4, suggestions?

The umi hammer looks really nice. What about this P7000?

Sooo much choice I don't know where to begin! I basically want to upgrade from S4, suggestions?

The umi hammer looks really nice. What about this P7000?

Take a look at gizchina.com for good reviews on phones.
    If you order from China you will have customs though a lot of sellers have EU warehouses.
    Read the first post of the thread.

Umi are doing some good phones. if the hammer was 5.5 I'd get one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

For my wife an umi hammer from coolicool.com EU warehouse for 143 e.
    5" screen. Reasonable battery. Comes with 4.4 but there is a lollipop update.
    Very impressed with build quality.
    Got it in 3 days with dhl. No customs charges.

When you say "reasonable battery", how reasonable? Much more than a day's moderate use?

Did coolicool fire in any goodies?

Umi are doing some good phones. if the hammer was 5.5 I'd get one myself.

@General C also, take a look at the Umi eMax: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/umi-emax-review-blistering-performance-at-unrivalled-price-3616303/

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/06/16/umi-emax-hand-on-and-first-impressions/

The other MT6752-er I'm keeping an eye on is the Ulefone Be Touch 2, ticks a lot of boxes, but it will be interesting to see reviews.

corwill wrote: »
    When you say "reasonable battery", how reasonable? Much more than a day's moderate use?

Did coolicool fire in any goodies?

She got a day including several Skype calls with video

She got a day including several Skype calls with video

Have you tried out Lollipop on it yet?

Have you tried out Lollipop on it yet?

Not yet. Only read about the rootjoy tool umi provide last night.
    Need to read a bit more before I do it. Seems simple enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

Nubia z9 mini users. There is a massive update for our phone that is not yet OTA. It fixes the WhatsApp bug, ulster bank app bug , yellowishness of camera, heat issues, increases battery life and brings upgraded camera and UI to nubia 3.10.
    http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.androidiani.com/forum/zte-modding/465219-modding-zte-nubia-z9-mini-23.html&usg=ALkJrhjNN5OnfVQmzdfUgr1Q4N_YFcQyGQ

This is translated from Italian but read until you find the post from someone who uploaded it to megaupload. It will ask u to download app. The file is 800mb. It took 30 mins over data connection. Also download slimgapps for 5.0.2. Wipe and flash all. You will need to re root phone to rid of Chinese apps. I have it running since last night and its excellent .

@General C also, take a look at the Umi eMax: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/umi-emax-review-blistering-performance-at-unrivalled-price-3616303/

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/06/16/umi-emax-hand-on-and-first-impressions/

The other MT6752-er I'm keeping an eye on is the Ulefone Be Touch 2, ticks a lot of boxes, but it will be interesting to see reviews.

It's a good phone, but looks a little ugly!

• Advertisement

http://www.coolicool.com/Promotions/ulefone.html?home_A2

Any thoughts on this Touch 2 phone?

On paper, it has it all, could turn out to be the best MT6752 phone on the market, all factors considered, but I'm waiting on reviews. It's a bit dearer than other MT6752/5.5" competition, though, and has relatively low screen to body ratio (think iPhone 6 Plus, which is a monster in the hand).

All I want is a phone with quick charge, full HD 5" screen, snappy processor and that looks beautiful- not much to ask?! ;)

All I want is a phone with quick charge, full HD 5" screen, snappy processor and that looks beautiful- not much to ask?! ;)

Xiaomi mi3 or the hammer

Resolution on the hammer is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-ZTE-Nubia-Z9-Mini-Snapdragon-615-Octa-Core-64bit-4G-FDD-LTE-Android-5-0/609089_32318043521.html

This is the cheapest I have been able to find the Nubia Z9 mini (300 dollars with DHL express shipping). Does anyone know if I could do better? And Z9 mini owners, do you recommend a cover?

I am deciding now whether to sacrifice the really good camera and just go for a cheaper option. Can a Z9 mini owner please reassure me ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Think I'm going to go with Tatranska's recommendation of the umi hammer. But coolicool don't have the black one in Europe.
    Anyone dealt with antelife.com? They have the black version in stock in their Spain/Germany warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Need some help people really love the look of the jiayu g4s or g5s.
    What I really want is the look of an iPhone but running android.

If anybody on here has real life experience of what there like please reply or pm me.

There is one in Ireland on adverts second hand should I stay away and just order direct from Ali express.

Currently have a huawei y550 so camera speed etc aren't critical all I need is a phone for net text and calls .

Any replies and advice would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Jiayu are one of the best brands available, you'll be 100% with most of their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Jiayu are one of the best brands available, you'll be 100% with most of their phones.

Cheers for the quick reply is 120 expensive for a second hand g5 on adverts?
    Or should I just bite the bullet order new and pay the customs on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Haven't a clue, whats it cost new? 120 seems cheap enough if its a decent phone, I'd take a gamble on it in your shoes. Bought a second hand Mi3 there last year no bother, low price

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement