Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like the next referendum to legalise abortion or euthanasia?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

I don't see the need to allow abortion anyway.
    We've got transport to the UK for the unmentionables that would do that to a child, and for the rest of us there's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Both as soon as possible.

Repeal the 8th Amendment.

I look forward to voting Yes to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hitler was voted in by a majority too remember. Democracy sometimes fails.

Oh and, for what it matters, at least where I'm from we respected the institution of marriage. Roscommon - holding the line till the end!

Godwinning the thread already. And the Nazis got about 35 to 38% of the vote in early 30s elections, not a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If i was forced to choose i would like to deal with the abortion issue first, but both are issues i would like to vote on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We've got transport to the UK for the unmentionables that would do that to a child, and for the rest of us there's Ireland.

What an utterly daft comment.

• Advertisement

Godwinning the thread already. And the Nazis got about 35 to 38% of the vote in early 30s elections, not a majority.

They were elected to power by the will of the masses.

I'll admit I had to look up that godwin reference.
    smash wrote: »
    What an utterly daft comment.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you controlled people's opinion.

Yes because people only do it because it impacts with their lifestyle and who needs extra cost right? Has nothing to do with the pregnancy not being viable or a danger to the mother.

Add on top of this the indignity of having your babies remains shipped home in a box by regular courier.

So yeah horrible people who would consider such a thing :pac::pac::pac::pac: , My sarcasm detector exploded :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's just keep pretending that the only women who require abortions are evil sluts, so they can just go get the boat.

Yeah, that sounds like Irish humanitarianism to me.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Yes because people only do it because it impacts with their lifestyle and who needs extra cost right? Has nothing to do with the pregnancy not being viable or a danger to the mother.

Add on top of this the indignity of having your babies remains shipped home in a box.

So yeah horrible people who would consider such a thing :pac::pac::pac::pac: , My sarcasm detector exploded :(.

Pregnancy not being viable and a danger to the mother are both provided for in our existing abortion laws. Not that I agree with them mind. As a practising christian I cannot see how killing any of Gods creations is within my remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

And here's a quick question: I can see how we would need a referendum on abortion. ie to remove the current article in the constitution which talks about the equal right to life of the unborn.

But what articles currently inhibit euthanasia? And if there are none, how the hell would you phrase one to "allow" it.

"The state recognises that some people are just too old and too sick to have around any more and, with due deference to the emotions of their next of kin, hereby gives the right to a bunch of civil servants or other state appointees to bump them off quietly"

Don't think we'll be seeing any sort of referendum on that one any time soon.

And as for abortion? The church isn't as dead as some people would like to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Yes to abortion up to third term. No to euthanasia.

Yes to abortion up to third term. No to euthanasia.

Really? Third term?
    When the child could be viably born by c section? For shame.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you controlled people's opinion.
    I don't. That's why I said it was daft.
    As a practising christian I cannot see how killing any of Gods creations is within my remit.

Right... now I understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

DareGod wrote: »
    You think that the issue of people who get pregnant and decide not to keep the baby is a more important issue than helping people to put an end to their chronic unimaginable suffering?

Yes, actually. I would recommend Freakonomics' piece on abortion and crime rates. I would like to see both, but I feel abortion is the more important of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well ideally both, but in practise, abortion should probably come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I ticked abortion, but I think both should be legalised.
    Reason for putting abortion first is same as other poster who said it affects more people, but I feel awful for the people who might envisage euthanasia too and do not have the option.

As a practising christian I cannot see how killing any of Gods creations is within my remit.

But you kill bacteria every time you wash your hands, or drink water, or wash your face or shower... Or do you live like a Jainist?

Madd Finn wrote: »
    But what articles currently inhibit euthanasia? And if there are none, how the hell would you phrase one to "allow" it.
    You wouldn't, unless someone finds a part of the constitution that a court rules prohibits euthanasia.

People have gone a little bit referendum-mad. We should avoid adding anything to the constitution which can be reasonably provided for in law.

smash wrote: »
    I don't. That's why I said it was daft.

Right... now I understand.

I think I do too. A bit more church and a bit less hedonism.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Well ideally both, but in practise, abortion should probably come first.

So, kill the young before allowing the old kill themselves?

But you kill bacteria every time you wash your hands, or drink water, or wash your face or shower... Or do you live like a Jainist?

Now that, friends, is a daft argument.
    Man has dominion over other members of the animal kingdom - including bacteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Why don't you be a good christian and forgive them?

Although I'd like you to do the forgiving while they don't have to travel in the first place.

seamus wrote: »
    You wouldn't, unless someone finds a part of the constitution that a court rules prohibits euthanasia.

People have gone a little bit referendum-mad. We should avoid adding anything to the constitution which can be reasonably provided for in law.

Exactly, only the abortion one would make sense. The reason we need to remove it is so we can actually govern through regular legislation.

Name: No Voter And Proud

Don't engage lads... it's not worth it.

Yes, actually. I would recommend Freakonomics' piece on abortion and crime rates. I would like to see both, but I feel abortion is the more important of the two.

That's been widely debunked.

"That is a daft argument"

<quotes bible to refute it>

I love comedy.

Has the word "any" changed its meaning recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Especially women and children, god knows a lot of Irish Catholics took full rapey beaty advantage of that for long enough.

Agreed. Remember on abortion we are just repealing the 8th. That's all. Not adding a new amendment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Definitely. The 8th should never have gone in, it's been nothing but trouble.

• Advertisement

That's been widely debunked.

Link? Most people pick a pedantic miscalculation as proof that they're wrong, no?

Advertisement