Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Who's behind so many anti-LGBT laws? Kim Davis' lawyers apparently!

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/cbs-news-investigation-finds-kim-davis-lawyer-behind-anti-lgbt-bills-in-20-states/
    The network found that the conservative group Liberty Counsel had placed lawyers in all 50 states to draft legislation and advise lawmakers on how to rein in the rights of LGBT people in response to a Supreme Court ruling which legalized same-sex marriage in 2015.

That Liberty Counsel, a right shower of bastards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36104879
    The UK government has warned gay and transgender travellers to be careful in the US due to legislation in North Carolina and Mississippi.

Even Trump (yes I was shocked) is against such laws as he knows they are bad for business!

http://www.thejournal.ie/donald-trump-transgender-bathroom-2728911-Apr2016/
    Trump voices his support for transgender people in bathroom law row
    He said that transgender people should be able to use whichever bathroom they choose.

But others are still supporting it and now attacking Trump
    Trump’s main rival, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, immediately fired back, saying that Trump is giving in to “political correctness”.

“Grown adult men, strangers, should not be alone in a bathroom with little girls,” Cruz said, calling his view “basic common sense.”

Of course by Cruz's logic grown men shouldn't be allowed in bathrooms with little boys either, after all that is equally as risky.
    Seperate bathrooms for all sex's and age's is the only solution!
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Links234 wrote: »
    That Liberty Counsel, a right shower of bastards.

I like how they have a freedom upbeat sounding name but in reality they destroy lives.

Its like when different groups start conflicts in parts of Africa over the past few decades and they each have a more freedom sounding name then the previous one, but in the end they all still murder innocent people and when they get into power they are as bad as the previous power holders (or worse!).

Cabaal wrote: »
    Even Trump (yes I was shocked) is against such laws as he knows they are bad for business!

You know the law is a serious issue when it's too extreme for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You know the law is a serious issue when it's too extreme for Trump.

I'm wondering how the Drumpf*cks are trying to rationalise Trump's opposition to the bathroom laws.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm wondering how the Drumpf*cks are trying to rationalise Trump's opposition to the bathroom laws.
    It's an economic decision - more bathrooms means more expense or something like that.

It's not exactly like they can claim it's out of character, his opinions on trans people have been a bit... odd, but this is fairly consistent.

Also, this is seriously on point.

Separate bathrooms for Catholic priests when?

Of course, incidents like these are happening with alarming regularity.

Cops force lesbian to leave ladies’ toilet after refusing to believe she’s a woman
    In the video, an unidentified woman can be seen in a standoff with the cops, as she tries to convince them that she’s female. Her friends intervene and try to reassure the officers she’s a girl, but they insist on seeing identification if she wants to stay. And when she declines their demand, they manhandle her out of the toilet, calling her “sir” and ignoring her pals as they shout “she’s a girl”.

• Advertisement

384437.jpg

Another day, another one of these insane anti-transgender laws gets proposed.

This Alabama City Will Now Put Transgender People In Jail For Peeing At Target
    On Tuesday night, the City Council of Oxford, Alabama unanimously approved a new ordinance that will punish individuals for using restrooms that do not match their biological sex as stated on their birth certificate. The policy is a direct response to Target indicating that trans people are welcome and will be respected in their stores.

Each individual violation will result in a $500 fine or up to six months in jail.

Pure, frothing at the mouth hatred.

In other news, Ted Cruz thinks trans people should only be allowed to use the restrooms at home.
    “Every one of us has the right to live our lives as we wish,” he said. “If any one of us wants to dress up as a woman or man and wants to live as woman or man and believes that we might be something other than what we were born, God has made each of us with free will and the ability to choose to do that if man to wants to dress as a woman, and live as a woman, and have a bathroom at home.”

This kind of fearmonger against trans people is taking it's toll. After North Carolina’s Law, Trans Suicide Hotline Calls Double
    Trans Lifeline data shared with The Daily Beast shows that before Gov. Pat McCrory signed HB 2 on March 23, the hotline’s daily volume peaked at around 200 incoming calls. After the law, the peaks started getting higher.

48705569.cached.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I honestly can't understand what the hell these people think happens in women's public toilets - It's a room containing little rooms.

Little rooms with doors and quite often working locks (although a foot jammed against the door is an effective alternative).
    You go into the big room and then continue into a little room and shut the door.

The gender or genitalia of anyone else in the general location of the big room is immaterial as they are literally not in the same little room as you and have as much impact on what you are doing in the little room as some one in the fricking hallway outside the big room.

In the communal area of the big room, in my experience, it's usually a scrum to get to the sinks because of all the make-up fixing and whether someone is cis or trans makes no difference to me as long as I can wash my fricking hands without having to wait or suffocate in a perfume fug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Another day, another one of these insane anti-transgender laws gets proposed.

This Alabama City Will Now Put Transgender People In Jail For Peeing At Target

Pure, frothing at the mouth hatred.

In other news, Ted Cruz thinks trans people should only be allowed to use the restrooms at home.

This kind of fearmonger against trans people is taking it's toll. After North Carolina’s Law, Trans Suicide Hotline Calls Double

48705569.cached.jpg

A business should be allowed to not deal with a LGBT person and it's religious freedom but you can also prevent a business from accommodating LGBT people. I dont think anyone was dumb enough to consider it actual religious freedom but you would think they would cover it up a bit better.

A business should be allowed to not deal with a LGBT person and it's religious freedom but you can also prevent a business from accommodating LGBT people. I dont think anyone was dumb enough to consider it actual religious freedom but you would think they would cover it up a bit better.

They don't care, it's now pure hatred and nothing more. They will be made sit at the back of buses next,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

A business should be allowed to not deal with a LGBT person [...]
    Why?

MrP

They don't care, it's now pure hatred and nothing more.
    I would respectfully submit that it's not only hatred, but ignorance, fear and anger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I read elsewhere that this happened last year in a hotel in Las Vegas and that it was private security not cops that kicked her out

13043321_10209480615676004_1678017060320891203_n.jpg?oh=d22d5ae65e097aa9d853a5b3e5224b78&oe=5799AECB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

MrPudding wrote: »
    Why?

MrP

Not my view, it is what the people who support these laws say. Something about going against their religion despite not being able to provide where their religious text mentions about selling them a cake or whatever.

So this is pretty horrible, Haslam signs controversial bill allowing therapists to reject LGBT clients
    NASHVILLE — Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam on Wednesday signed into law a controversial bill that allows therapists and counselors with "sincerely held principles" to turn away lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender clients among others.

There really is a backlash in full swing against LGBT rights in the US. A lot of seriously dodgy legislature in the name of "religous freedom"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Colombia has legalised marriage equality: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36166888

nDxbbOG.jpg

*pic*

I see your pic, I raise you this. :D

YZKNNhL.jpg

You know, there's something I wanted to post for a bit now, and I'm sorry that I didn't get around to it because I've just not had time to write a proper post, and when I do have the time, I'm often exhausted or doing something else. I know my usual output on this forum in particular has been much more indepth, and although there's something to be said for brevity, I dislike relying on memes to get a point across even if they can be particularly useful. I'm sure quite a few people reading the thread here had a chuckle at the above, but that's kinda what I wanted to talk about.

The whole "This is not what a child predator looks like" meme serves a purpose and has an extremely salient point, but I actually do have a serious problem with it, and to me at least it represents a failure of discourse. Why? Consider for a moment what it is saying, take a look at the words used and think about them. What does a child predator look like? I'm sure we all have an image that'll instantly spring to mind, the Jimmy Savilles or Gary Glitters of this world, or any number of men in a collar, but how they look is immaterial to how they behave, or more importantly, how they prey on children. Now, I understand why this meme came about, it's a defensive reaction that seeks to set apart trans people from what they are being maligned as in this debate, but in doing so it has allowed the debate to be framed by the transphobic demagogues of the Christian right. It's also an issue because there's no "child predator look" and those who undoubtedly spring to mind are considered so after the fact, after all, show someone a picture of Lisa Biron and ask what she looks like to them, they might say soccer mom, or housewife.

But allowing the debate to be couched in terms of public facilities at all is the main failing here, because it's leaving the accusation hanging that child predators/pedophiles are trying to sneak into the ladies bathroom, it's essentially flinging around complete misinformation. That's not how child predators generally operate. Josh Duggar didn't hang around ladies rooms, neither did Roman Polanski, or Ian Watkins. Most child abuse is perpetrated by family members, or they are known to the victim, it can be people who have authority, or who's social status gives them power, or trust, they prey on children whom they have this power over. This shouldn't be left unchallenged, and instead of saying "Hey, trans people aren't..." we need to be making more of a point about how people like Jerry Sandusky or the above memed Dennis Hastert actually operated.

It is of course important to put a face on trans people and say hey, we're not the monsters they say we are. But equally, we need to shift the debate out of the toilet entirely if they're going to use such scaremongering and disinformation, and call them out on it.

St. Albert Catholic school board has spent over $367,000 taxpayer dollars to fire a teacher for being transgender
    In October of 2008 Jan Buterman was fired from his job as a substitute teacher with Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools for being trans. There has been a long, drawn out legal case ever since. Progress Alberta filed a FOIP request for the legal costs associated with this case. According to that FOIP request the St. Albert Catholic school system has spent at least $367,188 in public taxpayer dollars on legal costs for this case.

So while there's so much buzz about the extreme anti-LGBT laws being passed in the states, it's worth looking beyond that and seeing how transgender people face discrimination in other countries and in all walks of life. It's also interesting to see how drawn out the Catholic school board has made things in this case. But more than that, it's highlighting how so-called "religious freedom" arguments have so very, very little to do with freedom and everything to do with discrimination.

And something just as horrible, South Carolina Transgender Student Facing Expulsion For Using the Bathroom
    With all the focus on North Carolina, Georgia, Target, and legislation all over the country it is easy to sometimes forget the faces- the actual people that are affected day to day by what we read about. Real people who face real consequences, real people put in unbelievable situations. Like expulsion from high school, and having your entire future jeopardized. One such person is Anna Foster, a transgender student at White Knoll High School in Lexington, South Carolina. Just two days before prom and five weeks before graduation, Anna has been suspended and is facing possible expulsion for using the “wrong” bathroom.

And with regards to North Carolina, this is a pretty good vid showing the absurdities of their anti-LGBT law:

This is just heartbreaking :(

Even in states which specifically ban discrimination based on gender identity, trans people can face enourmous hardships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

"Two men who say Kenyan police forced them to undergo anal examinations to prove they had had gay sex have launched a court case, calling for the tests to be declared unconstitutional.
    They allege they were also made to take tests for HIV and hepatitis following their arrest in February 2015 on suspicion of homosexual activity."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36204637

Cheery stuff.

• Advertisement

Well thank ****! US Justice Department: HB2 violates federal Civil Rights Act
    RALEIGH U.S. Justice Department officials Wednesday notified Gov. Pat McCrory that House Bill 2 violates the U.S. Civil Rights Act. The department gave state officials until Monday to address the situation “by confirming that the State will not comply with or implement HB2.” The letter says HB2, which pre-empted Charlotte’s anti-discrimination ordinance, violates Title IX of the Civil Rights Act, which bars discrimination in education based on sex.

HB2 was an utterly depraved piece of legislation, hopefully this'll see the end of it, but the sort of hatemongering that it drummed up against trans people will take longer to dissipate.

Advertisement