Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

While the pack is a mess right now, I am intrigued to see where Ulster go in the back three. Piutau's departure frees up a lot of funds. I assume Trimble and Bowe are on national contracts so if they leave/retire it probably makes little difference to Ulster's purchasing power? Stockdale is a star in the making (maybe leave him on the wing?!) but Ulster could do with another name (Irish eligible or otherwise) to compete with Gilroy etc.
    Lyttle is a good bet, just needs to stay fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

What about that ulster local guy who got you to a European final? O yea. Fired him

NO no the other local who delivered last piece of silverware? O yea. Fired him as well.

Squad depth isn't there. Clearly a very poor pack that got manhandled today. Blaming kiss might be convenient and I'm not saying he is the right man necessarily but at some point you need a bit of patience. New coaches have been brought in.

Sack kiss and replace him with who and then what becomes of gibbes and peel?

Some unrealistic expectations need to be tempered. Keep targeting Europe for now makes sense as don't have the depth for 2 fronts right now. If it goes wrong in last 2 games of Europe can switch focus to rabo. Top 3 in the conference not that tricky a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

While the pack is a mess right now, I am intrigued to see where Ulster go in the back three. Piutau's departure frees up a lot of funds. I assume Trimble and Bowe are on national contracts so if they leave/retire it probably makes little difference to Ulster's purchasing power? Stockdale is a star in the making (maybe leave him on the wing?!) but Ulster could do with another name (Irish eligible or otherwise) to compete with Gilroy etc.

Rob Lyttle will hopefully stay fit. He looked sharp tonight in his cameo. Stockdale, Gilroy and Lyttle look to be our options. Bowe probably merits another 12 months too as he has played quite well this season. Alas Trimby looks done.

Rob Lyttle will hopefully stay fit. He looked sharp tonight in his cameo. Stockdale, Gilroy and Lyttle look to be our options. Bowe probably merits another 12 months too as he has played quite well this season. Alas Trimby looks done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jacothelad wrote: »
    BUT...Why was Lealiifano not playing. He will be gone in 4 weeks. Play the fecker.

It's silly to suppose that Ulster have full control over his schedule. He is on loan. He is leaving in 4 weeks. He will have a season to play. I'm willing to wager that his position with Ulster has player management clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

FrannoFan wrote: »
    NO no the other local who delivered last piece of silverware? O yea. Fired him as well.
    McCall wasn't fired.

Buer wrote: »
    McCall wasn't fired.

And McLaughlin was shafted by humph, fans didn't want him moved on.

McCall wasn't fired.

You have to wonder if Saracens get beat tonight, how much longer will McCall get. 7 defeats on the bounce so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    You have to wonder if Saracens get beat tonight, how much longer will McCall get. 7 defeats on the bounce so far

I dont think he is in any immediate danger. The players showed away to clermont that they still play for him 100% and are just going through a rough patch

• Advertisement

McCall wasn't fired.

He shouldn't be in any danger. Win today and they are potentially 2nd in the league. Best the Ospreys and Northampton in Europe and they are in the Quarter Finals. Getting rid of McCall would redefine the term "hasty"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You seem to be assuming that fans have some influence on hirings and firings. I very much doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

McCall wasn't fired.

So why did he leave? To take up a job offer in pro D2 that only came about later?

Might have resigned but definitely encouraged

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

His contract was up. If he extended his contract he would have to give up his teaching job as He had taken the maximum number of career breaks.

He wanted a permanent deal to stay in the set up. Can you imagine Ulster rugby handing someone a permanent coaching deal. Can you imagine the ****storm from the fans about how stupid Ulster were do do so?

Ulster gave him a permanent deal in another role instead which he l3ft of his own volition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mfceiling wrote: »
    I wouldn't say there are a few good wins. Harlequins aren't great. A snatched draw against a poor Scarlets team. A last minute try to beat Treviso and the Southern Kings. We've been falling over the line and I reckon we'll be shown up big time when we start meeting a few of the better teams out there.

And that folks was posted a week ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭durthacht

I missed the post match interviews yesterday so googled videos for "les kiss".

The results were very different to what I had expected. Not unpleasant, but certainly unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Putting aside the erotic internet adventures of durthacht, the interview can be found here if you skip to 2 hours 3mins:

http://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=5691697169001&teideal=Rugba%C3%AD%20Beo%20&series=Rugba%C3%AD%20Beo%20&dlft=35

Putting aside the erotic internet adventures of durthacht, the interview can be found here if you skip to 2 hours 3mins:

http://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=5691697169001&teideal=Rugba%C3%AD%20Beo%20&series=Rugba%C3%AD%20Beo%20&dlft=35

Lol at all he guy 2hrs 2mins in putting the Ulster flag in the middle of the pitch

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lol at all he guy 2hrs 2mins in putting the Ulster flag in the middle of the pitch

Pretty sure that’s Hollywood Mike from UAFC lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I know it's probably a lot easier said then done but Ulster could do worse then lining up with 9 cooney 10 MC Philips 12 CL/ S McC for the rest of the time CLis there, MC Philips looked impressive

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I know it's probably a lot easier said then done but Ulster could do worse then lining up with 9 cooney 10 MC Philips 12 CL/ S McC for the rest of the time CLis there, MC Philips looked impressive

Yeah it would, but that goes against the Kiss player position lottery.

Wegians89 wrote: »

In the league maybe...but not in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Saw in the news there that Best Hendo and Stockdale aren't going to be playing against Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Scythica wrote: »
    Saw in the news there that Best Hendo and Stockdale aren't going to be playing against Munster

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42503289

I guess no one could play all three rounds so a choice of Hendo and Stockdale either playing against Leinster or Munster.

If we lose at home to Munster Kiss will be roasted.

awec wrote: »
    If we lose at home to Munster Kiss will be roasted.

Hopefully, but I'd say he will be given until the end of the year if by roasted you mean sacked.

I am expecting a bonus point win for Munster. We'll get a lbp

Lose to Munster and lose to leinster and I’d say Kiss is toast.

Or at the very least I think things will get quite unpleasant for him.

awec wrote: »
    Lose to Munster and lose to leinster and I’d say Kiss is toast.

Or at the very least I think things will get quite unpleasant for him.

Better he is removed than for things to get unpleasant. At the end of the day he is just a bloke trying to do a job.

Personally if I had to choose I'd be going full strength against Munster and then weak against Leinster.

I think this is a big mistake.

I reckon we will see a back row of Diack, Reidy and Timoney against Munster which is just the very definition of military medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bilston wrote: »
    Better he is removed than for things to get unpleasant. At the end of the day he is just a bloke trying to do a job.

Personally if I had to choose I'd be going full strength against Munster and then weak against Leinster.

I think this is a big mistake.

I reckon we will see a back row of Diack, Reidy and Timoney against Munster which is just the very definition of military medium.

Reidy won't be available he's still injured according to the BBC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement