Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's almost as if Cave had said declined going to the RWC to hold tackle bags, and instead gone to watch NI in the Euros when Les Kiss was part of the national coaching set-up, and that Les hadn't liked that, and thought less of Darren for doing so.

But as was excitedly speculated at the time, that was McCloskey, who has, of course, never subsequently played for Ireland... If only there had been someone on Boreds saying all the time it was Cave...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    What past success? He has never been a head coach before, he was a defence coach. How much input on the game plan do you really think he had at Ireland?

Our defending is brutal. Players who used to be able to tackle now miss tackles on a semi regular basis. Players who successfully defended under previous regimes now look lost in defence. Players who defended well for other clubs now cannot defend.

Yea, people can go on and say that it's a players fault that they miss tackles, but I'd love to know what has changed in Ulster that has caused us to have an epidemic of missed tackles.

Our defence is rubbish, there is no way to butter it up. Kiss is apparently a defensive guru. It doesn't show.

Well given that the comments Cave made were specifically about defence I was only talking about that element of Kiss’s remit. He has assistants there for the other stuff.

Kiss’s ability as a defence coach showed at the highest levels of the game. That just doesn’t disappear. Maybe players are struggling to get used to a new system. Maybe confidence in the system isn’t there because guys like Cave are having a pop at it and undermining it. Maybe player power is being challenged and that’s creating a tough environment that they need to work through. Maybe Kiss is finding it difficult to adapt to the relative strengths and weaknesses within the squad that didn’t exist at national level. Maybe Kiss is struggling with the other elements of the role and it’s having knock on effects.

There’s probably a load more possible reasons for these issues. And maybe a combination of different ones. I just find it hard to believe that Cave is being frozen out for speaking up when you can be pretty sure Irish players spoke up in Ireland camp plenty. There has to be a lot more to it than that. And whatever issues are there (be it Kiss’s fault, Caves or both) are probably a good reflection on where the squad as a whole are.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

e9611859239d132fc0c6ddfcb3a4ae3f.jpg

Hope that loads for people, but that was actually the Ulster defensive line at that point in the game. BOD even called it out in the commentary. I am pretty sure that is coming straight off a scrum or lineout.

Look at the absolute state of that defence.

Defensive guru indeed.

Hope that loads for people, but that was actually the Ulster defensive line at that point in the game. BOD even called it out in the commentary. I am pretty sure that is coming straight off a scrum or lineout.

Defensive guru indeed.

Ah you can’t blame a defence coach for players not doing their job on the pitch. Or at least you can’t definitively blame him. Yeah that looks all over the shop but I don’t know a defensive system that would ask players to do that. That looks a lot more like guys in the pitch not doing their jobs or not having the leadership to control it.

There may be a case for saying that the team aren’t buying into the system or are unable to implement the system and that Kiss has responsibility there but that’s as close to blaming Kiss as you can get, and you can’t know if that’s true or not.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah you can’t blame a defence coach for players not doing their job on the pitch. Or at least you can’t definitively blame him. Yeah that looks all over the shop but I don’t know a defensive system that would ask players to do that. That looks a lot more like guys in the pitch not doing their jobs or not having the leadership to control it.

There may be a case for saying that the team aren’t buying into the system or are unable to implement the system and that Kiss has responsibility there but that’s as close to blaming Kiss as you can get, and you can’t know if that’s true or not.
    Then what can you blame him for?

It's like people think the defence coach is absolved of all responsibility for anything that happens on the field.

• Advertisement

It's like people think the defence coach is absolved of all responsibility for anything that happens on the field.

Did you even read the rest of my post or did you stop at the first sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Fairly sure that MOC was to blame when Leinster didn't qualify for playoffs. Don't recall a whole lot of "the players simply aren't doing their job"then.

I think your well-documented (and understandable) frustration with Ulster fans looking for scapegoats has pushed you into silly, unfeasible postures, Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seriously, if our Director of Rugby is actually doing defensive coaching, I think we've fúcked that hierarchy completely, and it needs to be redone.

So I said before I think we need 5 points from our last two euro games to progress and I think that is still true but it's now much more difficult.

I am going to assume Wasps get 5 points at Quins, so they'll be on 15 after round 5. I'm also going to assume La Rochelle get 5 against Quins in round 6.

If we lose to La Rochelle with a LBP we'll be on 14, La Rochelle on 19 / 20. Last weekend winner takes all in Coventry for 2nd spot.

If we beat La Rochelle and they get a LBP we'll be on 17 and they'll be on 16. Wasps on 15. Winner takes all in Coventry between Ulster and Wasps for second spot. If we beat Wasps, us and La Rochelle are both on 21.

If we can beat La Rochelle and they get no LBP we'll be on 17 and they remain on 15. Winner of Ulster and Wasps could top the group.

This pool is wide open now, but unfortunately we have the hardest route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ireland under Kiss always had a very narrow defence so I'm not surprised Ulster have it too, well from going on that screen grab above.

• Advertisement

I hear Ulster have an All Black 10 lined up for next season, depending on the outcome in January / February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

So one of Barrett, Sopoaga, Mo’unga, Cruden or, um, Stephen Donald then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

So I said before I think we need 5 points from our last two euro games to progress and I think that is still true but it's now much more difficult.

I am going to assume Wasps get 5 points at Quins, so they'll be on 15 after round 5. I'm also going to assume La Rochelle get 5 against Quins in round 6.

If we lose to La Rochelle with a LBP we'll be on 14, La Rochelle on 19 / 20. Last weekend winner takes all in Coventry for 2nd spot.

If we beat La Rochelle and they get a LBP we'll be on 17 and they'll be on 16. Wasps on 15. Winner takes all in Coventry between Ulster and Wasps for second spot. If we beat Wasps, us and La Rochelle are both on 21.

If we can beat La Rochelle and they get no LBP we'll be on 17 and they remain on 15. Winner of Ulster and Wasps could top the group.

This pool is wide open now, but unfortunately we have the hardest route.
    Ulster haven't a hope in hell of beating either Wasps away or L.R. at Ravenspan. With a defence with more holes than a string vest we are fecked squared.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ulster haven't a hope in hell of beating either Wasps away or L.R. at Ravenspan. With a defence with more holes than a string vest we are fecked squared.
    I would agree, but I was trying out this delusional optimism to see what it felt like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would agree, but I was trying out this delusional optimism to see what it felt like.

Go back to being yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

So one of Barrett, Sopoaga, Mo’unga, Cruden or, um, Stephen Donald then?
    I've heard Donalds name in a few areas now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Scythica wrote: »
    Yes. One D.Duck would fit in to Les's defensive system...i.e. Totally Quackers.

Nah. Too old.

I mean, I can't see any of those other lads moving to Ulster. Cruden is with Montpelier for the forseeable future and the other 3 are either in the All Black squad or pushing for it. It has to be Donald, and, legend that he is, he's just about Pro14 standard these days. Mostly played at 12 last season too. Fairly underwhelming if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I mean, I can't see any of those other lads moving to Ulster. Cruden is with Montpelier for the forseeable future and the other 3 are either in the All Black squad or pushing for it. It has to be Donald, and, legend that he is, he's just about Pro14 standard these days. Mostly played at 12 last season too. Fairly underwhelming if that's the case.

Underwhelming maybe...but beggars can't be choosers...and we are very much beggars in this instance.

• Advertisement

Did they say an All Black or just a kiwi 10 cos it could be Carbery...?

:D

I said no to Stephen Donald already!

The name I got was Lima Sopoanga, but Jackson is still the first preference. I don't think we'll be hearing anything for months.

The name I got was Lima Sopoanga, but Jackson is still the first preference. I don't think we'll be hearing anything for months.

Looks like Sopoaga is still under contract.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/all-blacks/new-zealand-rugby-have-received-a-boost-with-lima-sopoaga-resigning-with-the-highlanders/news-story/ef9f4276f2aa955a157da188edd21c40

Until 2018, i.e out of contract in time to join a NH club next Novemberish.

Until 2018, i.e out of contract in time to join a NH club next Novemberish.

Ah fair enough, thought you meant early next year when Lealiifano leaves.

Fairly sure that MOC was to blame when Leinster didn't qualify for playoffs. Don't recall a whole lot of "the players simply aren't doing their job"then.

I think your well-documented (and understandable) frustration with Ulster fans looking for scapegoats has pushed you into silly, unfeasible postures, Molloy.

I really don’t see how. I’ve never said Kiss doesn’t have some responsibility here. What I have said is that looking at the history of the coach and the team it seems somewhat odd to me that the coach is taking all of the heat. There are logical reasons why there may be other issues. And I’ve explained reasonably what they might be while also saying I’m coming from a point of relative ignorance on the whole thing. At no point have I said awec or anyone else is definitively wrong in their opinions, just suggested that maybe looking beyond the coach makes sense too.

The Leinster situation is very different. For starters we didn’t have a history of underachieving prior to MOC arriving which is a very key component to what I’ve been saying about Ulster. We also had a boat load of internationals in our set-up so the quality of player was still there. Maybe not quite to the same degree, but we had a bloody good pack. Another thing that differentiates the 2 scenarios.

Secondly I was very deliberate in saying we needed to give MOC time to settle and while many others were boarding the MOCOut train early, I wasn’t. It wasn’t until he was there for a year and a half before I made a call on him really, and even then I tried to be as balanced as I could be about it, saying numerous times that he just wasn’t the coach for us as opposed to him being a bad coach. I think if you’re getting abusive about someone in this situation you’ve just lost objectivity. Which I can understand from an emotive perspective.

Third, I made some attempt to analyse the issues and explain my rationale for thinking MOC wasn’t the man for us. I was able to point to our attacking game and identify why it wasn’t working. MOCs complaints about not having access to the internationals was another issue as we needed to be building our depth at that point given the age profile of the squad. Relying on the mainstays almost entirely the way he did wasn’t helping us in the longer term. If awec spoke about the defensive system itself and why it wasn’t working my reply would be entirely different. Also, it seems that Ulster are doing some decent work on building their squad at the moment which is a big positive that isn’t getting enough attention.

TL;DR: It’s one thing being pissed off about a team underperforming under 1 coach and pointing the finger at the coach. It’s another thing entirely being pissed off with a team underperforming under successive coaches and still only pointing the finger at the coach. There’s a common denominator in the latter that’s being ignored, which doesn’t make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Defensive guru indeed.
    It's very hard to make any kind of judgment based on that screen grab. You can only see seven from each team. Not knowing which set-piece it derives from is another problame. If it was a scrum, had Harlequins stacked their left wing with players to try and draw the Ulster defence to that side and then switched the play to the right wing?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As a Highlander fan I'd be incredibly disappointed. Sopoaga (there no 'n' awec ;) ) is integral to everything good the Highlanders do and there's a gulf of class to our reserve 10s.

Realistically though, this doesn't make sense. Sopoaga is really the firm 22 now on the all black squad. If anything, he's making inroads on BB. He started their last bledisloe game. With cruden out of the picture he's a nailed on squad member. I think mo'unga is his closest rival but not at his level yet.

Also, why would he move a year out from RWC19 and forgo his place in the squad? After the world cup maybe, but certainly not before.

Is this chorus of complaint about defence not pretty obviously just an agenda against Kiss?

Earlier in the season the coaching in general was the problem. Now that there are a few good wins under the teams belt all of a sudden it's the defence now...

Seems like an effort to keep the blame firmly squared on Les's door. Sometimes when you are opening up teams you leave the door open behind you, if Ulster need to tighten up they've shown that they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Now that there are a few good wins under the teams belt all of a sudden it's the defence now...

I wouldn't say there are a few good wins. Harlequins aren't great. A snatched draw against a poor Scarlets team. A last minute try to beat Treviso and the Southern Kings. We've been falling over the line and I reckon we'll be shown up big time when we start meeting a few of the better teams out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement